Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2011 - Russia Special Weapons News
- NATO-Russia summit possible in 2012 - Rasmussen RIA Novosti 30 Sep 2011 -- A NATO-Russia summit could be held next year in Chicago if the parties can agree on a substantive agenda.
- No truth behind Russian-Iran missile shield - NATO envoy RIA Novosti 30 Sep 2011 -- Russia's envoy to NATO dismissed as "false" media reports that Russia and Iran planned to set up a joint missile defense shield.
- Russia tests new ballistic missile RIA Novosti 30 Sep 2011 -- Russia carried out on Thursday a successful test of a new sea-based intercontinental ballistic missile.
- No plans to retire Typhoon class subs soon - Russian military RIA Novosti 30 Sep 2011 -- A high-ranking source in the Russian Defense Ministry has denied rumors of a planned scrapping of Typhoon submarines.
- Captain, sailor acquitted over sub disaster RIA Novosti 30 Sep 2011 -- A jury has dropped negligence charges against the captain of a Russian nuclear submarine in which 20 people died three years ago.
- Russia's asymmetrical response to U.S. missile defense RIA Novosti 29 Sep 2011 -- A missile tipped with a newly designed warhead failed during the first test firing near Plesetsk in the north of Russia.
- AK-74 dismissed by the army RIA Novosti 29 Sep 2011 -- Russia's Chief of the General Staff Nikolai Makarov has reported that the country's military have stopped buying the Kalashnikov.
- Russia's Yars ballistic missile fails test launch RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- Russia's Space Forces confirmed the failure of a test-firing of a Yars (RS-24) intercontinental ballistic missile.
- Iran takes back initial payment for S300 air-defense system: Vahidi IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- Iran took back the initial payment it had made for Russian-made S300 air-defense system, Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said.
- Russia ratifies Abkhazia, S. Ossetia military base deployment RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- The Russian parliament's upper house ratified agreements concluded last year with Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
- Russia Wants Missile-Defense Legal Guarantees RFE/RL 27 Sep 2011 -- Russia's FM has reiterated concerns over U.S. missile-defense plans in Europe.
- Strategic missile defense affects global security - Lavrov RIA Novosti 27 Sep 2011 -- The deployment of strategic missile defense systems will alter the international security configuration.
- No progress in Russia-U.S. missile shield talks RIA Novosti 27 Sep 2011 -- No progress has been made in Russia - U.S. talks on the projected deployment of a U.S. missile defense system in Europe.
- U.S. suggests boosting Russian-Japanese cooperation in Pacific region RIA Novosti 27 Sep 2011 -- Russian and Japan should improve the relationship in the Pacific region, Admiral Robert Willard, the Commander of the U.S. Pacific Command said.
- Medvedev defends high military spending RIA Novosti 27 Sep 2011 -- Defense and national security expenditures will always be high in Russia, President Dmitry Medvedev said.
- Russia to deploy 2nd Yars ballistic missile regiment by yearend RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2011 -- A second regiment equipped with Yars mobile ballistic missile systems will be on combat duty in by the end of 2011.
- Russia ready to continue anti-piracy mission in Gulf of Aden RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2011 -- A new Russian naval task force will arrive on Wednesday in the Gulf of Aden to continue the ongoing anti-piracy mission.
- Russian drone aircraft crashes in Ingushetia RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2011 -- A small unmanned aerial vehicle crashed near a highway in Russia's North Caucasus republic of Ingushetia.
- Russian aviation watchdog grounds six airlines RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2011 -- Russia's Federal Air Transport Agency has annulled the licenses of three airlines and suspended another three after a comprehensive check.
- Twelve More Years: Is Putin's Return A Recipe For Stagnation? RFE/RL 24 Sep 2011 -- With this weekend's announcement that he will run for president in the March 2012 election, Vladimir Putin appears on track to become Russia's longest-serving ruler since Josef Stalin.
- Russian naval task force starts visit to Japan RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2011 -- A Russian Pacific Fleet's task force led by the missile cruiser Varyag will arrive on Sunday to Japan on a five-day friendly visit, the fleet's spokesman said.
- Putin Announces Presidential Bid, With Medvedev Backing RFE/RL 24 Sep 2011 -- Former two-term Russian president and current Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has ended years of speculation by accepting the nomination for a fresh presidential bid after the current president, Dmitry Medvedev, backed him at a weekend party congress.
- Medvedev backs Putin for Russian president RIA Novosti 24 Sep 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has proposed Prime Minister Vladimir Putin to run for president in next year's election, ending months of speculation over which man would run for the post.
- Putin Announces Run For President in 2012 VOA 24 Sep 2011 -- Russia's President and Prime Minister have unveiled a plan to switch jobs next year.
- Rasmussen expects missile shield deal with Russia by May RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2011 -- NATO Secretary General Fogh Rasmussen expects Russia and NATO will agree on missile defense at the alliance's summit.
- Russia to build sea-based 'missile shield' - diplomat RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2011 -- Russia is planning to develop its own sea-based missile defense system.
- One dead, 60 injured in Makhachkala twin blasts RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2011 -- One person was killed and 61 injured in twin blasts in Dagestan's capital Makhachkala.
- Vahidi: Iran has filed a lawsuit against Russia for S-300 missile IRNA 22 Sep 2011 -- Minister of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics Brigadier-General Vahidi: Iran has filed a lawsuit against Russia for non-delivery of S-300 missile system.
- Russia, Kazakhstan to set up joint air-defense system RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2011 -- Russia and Kazakhstan are planning to set up a joint air-defense system in the very near future.
- Russian nuclear sub damaged in collision with fishing ship RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2011 -- A Russian strategic submarine received light damage to its outer hull when a fishing vessel rammed into it early on Thursday.
- Russian space agency needs reforms - Roscosmos head RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2011 -- Head of the Russian space agency Roscosmos: Recent failed launches were a reflection of the agency's management problems.
- Russia may launch its first Earth remote sensing satellite in 2012 RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2011 -- Russia’s first Earth remote sensing satellite, the Kondor, may be launched in January 2012.
- Russia developing high-speed helicopter RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2011 -- Russian Helicopters holding is developing a high-speed helicopter in a bid to capture an emerging and promising segment of the global rotorcraft market.
- Russia not dramatizing situation with U.S. missile shield deals RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- Russia is concerned over U.S. plans on the deployment of its missile shield elements in Romania and Turkey.
- Proton-M successfully puts military purpose spacecraft into orbit RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- Russia's Proton-M carrier rocket successfully put a military satellite into orbit.
- Russia to refit nuclear missile cruisers RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- The Russian Defense Ministry is planning to refit three mothballed nuclear-powered Kirov-class missile cruisers.
- Russia drops case against Moscow airport bomber's sister RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- Prosecutors in Ingushetia have dropped criminal proceedings against sister of the bomber who attacked a Moscow airport.
- Minister urges implementation of S-300 systems deal IRNA 19 Sep 2011 -- Defense minister Brigadier Ahmad Vahidi said Monday that Russia should fulfil its previously made commitments on delivering the S-300 missiles to Iran.
- U.S. cautions Russia over joint naval drills with N. Korea RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2011 -- Any form of cooperation with North Korea should not jeopardize international efforts to convince Pyongyang to halt its nuclear weapons program, the U.S. State Department said.
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defense systems in joint drills with Belarus RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2011 -- Russia will deploy advanced S-400 air defense systems during joint military exercises with Belarus in September, a spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Belarus may buy outdated Su-30 fighters from Russia RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2011 -- Eighteen Su-30K fighter jets which were delivered by Russia to India in the 1990s could end up in service with the Belarusian air force, respected Russian business daily Kommersant said on Friday.
- Russian High Court: Ex-Yukos Leaders' Detention Illegally Prolonged RFE/RL 14 Sep 2011 -- The Russian Supreme Court has ruled that the the law was violated when the preliminary detention of former Russian oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky and his deputy was extended, RFE/RL's Russian Service reports.
- Russian Navy orders 3 more Krivak IV class frigates RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2011 -- Russia's United Shipbuilding Corporation said on Wednesday it has signed a contract with the Defense Ministry on the construction of another three Krivak IV class frigates for the Russian Navy.
- Russia opposes presence of military blocs in Arctic - diplomat RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2011 -- Russia stands against the use of force and the presence of military blocs in the Arctic, a senior Russian diplomat said on Wednesday.
- Russian warship ends anti-piracy mission off Somali coast RIA Novosti 13 Sep 2011 -- A Russian task force from the Northern Fleet led by the destroyer Severomorsk has concluded its anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden and set sail for its home base, the fleet's press service said on Tuesday.
- Britain rejects compromise deal on Litvinenko - paper RIA Novosti 13 Sep 2011 -- Britain has dismissed a Russian proposal to open a joint investigation into the 2006 death of Alexander Litvinenko, a leading Russian paper said on Tuesday, citing a source close to the talks.
- Russia's new attack submarine goes for sea trials RIA Novosti 12 Sep 2011 -- Russia's first Graney class nuclear-powered attack submarine set course on Monday for scheduled sea trials, the Sevmash shipyard said.
- U.K. PM Says Litvinenko Case No Barrier To Russia Trade Ties RFE/RL 12 Sep 2011 -- British Prime Minister David Cameron says Britain and Russia can overcome stumbling blocks in their political relations and boost trade ties.
- Cameron denies sacrificing Litvinenko issue for trade RIA Novosti 12 Sep 2011 -- British Prime Minister David Cameron dismissed suggestions on Monday that the U.K. had 'parked' the issue of the death of Alexander Litvinenko for trade relations.
- Lugovoi to demand Litvinenko autopsy results RIA Novosti 12 Sep 2011 -- Former KGB officer Andrei Lugovoi, the chief suspect in the 2006 killing of Kremlin critic Alexander Litvinenko, has said he will demand Litvinenko's autopsy results from British police.
- NATO may provide Russia with legal guarantee on missile shield RIA Novosti 09 Sep 2011 -- NATO does not rule out the issuing of a written guarantee that it will not direct missile defense shield in Europe against Russia.
- Russian Whistle-Blower Jailed RFE/RL 09 Sep 2011 -- Russian Major Igor Matveyev of the Interior Ministry, the man who claimed Russian soldiers were being given dog food to eat, sentenced to four years in prison.
- Whistleblower major jailed for beating soldiers RIA Novosti 09 Sep 2011 -- An army major in the Russian Far East has been sentenced to four years in prison for beating a warrant officer and a soldier.
- Roscosmos to enhance control of Soyuz rocket engines' production RIA Novosti 09 Sep 2011 -- Special commission recommended enhancing the control of the production of engines for Soyuz rockets.
- Yaroslavl Plane Crash Raises Old Safety Issues RFE/RL 09 Sep 2011 -- For many observers, the high frequency of plane crashes in Russia points to a systemic problem tied to the legacy of the Soviet Union and its aging infrastructure.
- Iran-Russia Arms Dispute Damages Relations VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Iran's decision to sue Russia in the International Court of Justice to try to force the sale of an air defense system deepens crisis in relationship.
- CIS air defense units hold joint exercises in Russia RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2011 -- Units from a joint air defense system of the Commonwealth of Independent States are conducting exercises with live firing drills.
- Russia to sign deal for 2 more French warships by yearend RIA Novosti 07 Sep 2011 -- Russia will sign a contract with France for the third and fourth Mistral-class amphibious assault ships before the end of this year.
- Russia, France to discuss global security in Moscow RIA Novosti 07 Sep 2011 -- Russia and France will discuss key issues on the global agenda during a meeting of defense and foreign ministers.
- Flight recorder found at MiG-31 crash site RIA Novosti 07 Sep 2011 -- Investigators have found one of the two flight recorders at a crash site of a Russian MiG-31 Foxhound fighter jet in the Urals.
- Russia to sink $170 mln into Plesetsk space center RIA Novosti 07 Sep 2011 -- Russia will spend over 5 billion rubles ($170 mln) on the development and expansion of the Plesetsk space center.
- Tajikistan Under The Russian Security Umbrella RFE/RL 06 Sep 2011 -- Question is what Dushanbe can get for allowing Moscow to extend leases on its bases on Tajik soil.
- Belarusian servicemen to arrive in Russia for joint military drills RIA Novosti 06 Sep 2011 -- The first train carrying Belarusian servicemen will arrive in Russia's Nizhny Novgorod Region on the Volga for joint military drills.
- Russian fighter jet crashes in Urals RIA Novosti 06 Sep 2011 -- A Russian Mikoyan MiG-31 fighter jet crashed in the Urals on Tuesday, killing both pilots.
- Kiev court rejects lawsuit on compensation for passenger plane shot down RIA Novosti 06 Sep 2011 -- A court in Kiev turned down a lawsuit initiated by a Russian air carrier against the Ukrainian Defense Ministry.
- All defense contracts should be concluded this week - Putin RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2011 -- Russian PM Putin expressed hope that all contracts under 2011 state defense order will be concluded by the end of this week.
- Russian arms show to feature over 1,000 military products RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2011 -- More than 1,100 types of military equipment will be showcased at an arms show in Russia's Urals region.
- First Borey class nuclear sub to be assigned to Pacific Fleet in 2011 RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2011 -- Russia's first Borey class strategic submarine will be put into service with the Pacific Fleet in 2011.
- U.S. unwilling to cooperate with Russia on missile defense RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2011 -- Russian FM Lavrov: Washington does not cooperate with Moscow on the European missile defense issue.
- Russian Helicopters, Defense Ministry sign deal after delay RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2011 -- Russia's Defense Ministry and the Russian Helicopters holding have reached a long delayed agreement.
- Russian NATO envoy to discuss Iranian missiles in Tehran RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2011 -- Russia's ambassador to NATO announced plans to travel to Iran later this month to discuss its ballistic missile program and the U.S.-led missile shield in Europe.
- Russia to extend lease of Tajikistan military base RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2011 -- The presidents of Russia and Tajikistan agreed to prepare in early 2012 an agreement extending Russia's lease of a military base in Tajikistan by 49 years.
- Bad weather hampers search for debris of Russian space freighter RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2011 -- Poor weather conditions in South Siberia's Altai Republic may prevent the search for the crash site of a Progress-M spacecraft.
- FM Lavrov: U.S. could threaten Russian strategic nuclear forces RIA Novosti 01 Sep 2011 -- The United States continues to refuse to guarantee that the European missile defense shield will not be directed at Russia.
- Russia signs off 2011 arms procurement deals RIA Novosti 01 Sep 2011 -- Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said he has signed all deals under an ambitious weapons procurement program except for one.
- Beslan siege remembered seven years on RIA Novosti 01 Sep 2011 -- Russia marks the seventh anniversary of the start of the Beslan school siege.
- Impact of Beslan Massacre Still Felt 7 Years Later VOA 01 Sep 2011 -- September 1 marks the seventh anniversary of the terrorist attack at School Number One in Beslan, a town in North Ossetia.
- Missing For A Decade, Russian Soldier Claims He Was Held As Slave RFE/RL 01 Sep 2011 -- Looking thin and haggard and aged beyond his 30 years, a Russian soldier who went missing more than a decade ago recently walked into his hometown and knocked on his mother's door.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list