Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2011 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Russian defense minister, U.S. attache discuss missile shield RIA Novosti 31 Aug 2011 -- Russia's defense minister met with the U.S. defense attache in Moscow to discuss the U.S.-led missile shield in Europe.
- Russia may put space program under state defense order RIA Novosti 31 Aug 2011 -- The Russian Space Agency Roscosmos is considering returning the federal space program to the framework of the state defense.
- NASA: Space Station May Be Evacuated RFE/RL 30 Aug 2011 -- Russia and the United States gave conflicting signals about the way forward with the ISS now that the Soyuz has been temporarily grounded.
- Briz-M upper-stage fault behind Proton-M launch failure RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2011 -- A malfunction of the Briz-M upper-stage rocket reportedly caused the failure of a Proton-M rocket launch two weeks ago.
- Chavez asks Moscow for a loan to buy Russian weapons RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2011 -- The Venezuelan government needs new weapons to avoid the fate of the Gaddafi regime, President Hugo Chavez said.
- The bright side of the delayed frigate delivery to India RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2011 -- India has announced that Russia delayed its delivery of three frigates to the Indian Navy by over a year.
- Russia Delays Missions to and From Space Station VOA 29 Aug 2011 -- Russia's space agency has announced that it will delay the return of crew members from the ISS and postpone the launch of new crew.
- New ISS mission postponed until October RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2011 -- Russia's Space Agency Roscomos has postponed the launch of a new mission to the ISS due to an accident that caused the loss of a cargo ship.
- Progress space freighter destroyed in atmosphere - source RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2011 -- Large pieces of the Progress M-12M space freighter have not been discovered because the ship most likely burned up in the Earth's atmosphere or the third stage of the Soyuz-U carrier rocket exploded.
- Yuri Dolgoruky successfully conducts Bulava missile launch RIA Novosti 27 Aug 2011 -- Russia's strategic nuclear submarine Yuri Dolgoruky has successfully conducted a launch of a Bulava missile.
- Putin presses for Russian defense contracts RIA Novosti 26 Aug 2011 -- Russian PM Putin urged the government to sign all planned defense contracts delayed over price disagreements by September.
- MiG denies stealth technology transfer to China RIA Novosti 26 Aug 2011 -- Russia has never transferred any stealth technology to China to assist it with its J-20 Black Eagle fifth-generation stealth fighter prototype.
- Russia ready to help Venezuela with weaponry purchases RIA Novosti 26 Aug 2011 -- Moscow is ready to loan Venezuela $4 billion on purchases of military equipment, Russia's Kommersant newspaper said.
- Police kill suspect in 2010 south Russia power plant blast RIA Novosti 26 Aug 2011 -- A suspected militant believed to have been involved in attack on a power plant in southern Russia was killed during police operation.
- Russian Police Free 'Slave-Laborer' Soldier Accused Of Desertion RFE/RL 26 Aug 2011 -- A Russian soldier who claims he spent more than a decade in forced labor has been released from detention after authorities accused him of desertion.
- Putin Orders 'Radical' Russian Space Improvements RFE/RL 25 Aug 2011 -- Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has instructed the Russian space agency to "radically" improve its oversight of spacecraft production.
- Roscosmos to tighten control of space industry after rocket lost RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2011 -- The Russian space agency Roscosmos says it will set up a commission for quality control in the space industry.
- Russian space boss in bid to fulfill ISS commitments RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2011 -- Russia's space agency Roscosmos is discussing proposals on how to fulfill the country's obligations to deliver crews to and from the ISS.
- State of emergency lifted after Russian spacecraft crash RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2011 -- A state of emergency imposed after a Russian space freighter fell to Earth in Siberia’s Altai Republic has been lifted in the region.
- Glonass-M satellite launch postponed for additional check RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2011 -- The launch of the Soyuz-2.1B carrier rocket with the Glonass-M navigation satellite was postponed for an additional equipment check.
- Next test of Russia's Bulava missile set for Aug. 27 RIA Novosti 24 Aug 2011 -- A state commission has scheduled the next test launch of the Bulava ballistic missile for August 27.
- Russia likely to suspend space deliveries RIA Novosti 24 Aug 2011 -- Russia may fail to fulfill its obligations in delivering crews to the ISS after accident with Russia's Progress M-12M space freighter.
- Debris from Russian space freighter falls in south Siberia RIA Novosti 24 Aug 2011 -- The wreckage of the Russian Progress M-12M space freighter fell in South Siberia's Altai Republic.
- 5th generation fighter aborts flight at MAKS-2011 air show RIA Novosti 21 Aug 2011 -- Russia's Sukhoi T-50 5th generation fighter aborted the takeoff at the MAKS-2011 International Aviation and Space Show on Sunday.
- Next Bulava launch to be held until September 2011 RIA Novosti 21 Aug 2011 -- The Russian Defense Ministry said on Sunday the State Commission for Flight Testing decided to hold the launch of troubled Bulava missile until the end of August.
- Missing satellite found off designated orbit RIA Novosti 19 Aug 2011 -- The Russian Express-AM4 communication satellite, missing after Thursday's launch, could not separate from the booster and was found off the designated orbit, a source in the Russian space program said on Friday.
- Russia to get 2nd aircraft for Open Skies inspections in 2012 RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2011 -- Next year Russia will build its second aircraft specially equipped for international aerial inspections under the Open Skies Treaty, Vladimir Verba, the director general of Vega concern, said on Thursday.
- Russia launches high-power telecoms satellite RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2011 -- Russia's Proton-M rocket with the high-power Express-AM4 satellite was launched early on Thursday from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan.
- Russia loses contact with new satellite RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2011 -- The designer and manufacturer of a Russian satellite launched on Thursday has no information about its location or condition, the Khrunichev State Research and Production Center said.
- Sukhoi signs MoU with India's Aviotech for ten Sukhoi Business Jets RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2011 -- Sukhoi Civil Aircraft, maker of the Superjet airliner, has signed a letter of intent with India's Aviotech for the supply of ten Sukhoi Business Jets (SBJ), the VIP version of its Superjet aircraft, Sukhoi President Vladimir Prisyazhnyuk said on Thursday.
- Russian arms exporter loses $4 bln over Libya conflict RIA Novosti 17 Aug 2011 -- Russia's state-run arms exporter has lost a total of $4 billion over the cancellation of contracts with Libya, Rosoboronexport head Anatoly Isaikin said on Wednesday.
- Russian arms export to reach $9 bln in 2011 RIA Novosti 17 Aug 2011 -- Russia's state-run arms export monopoly will sell no less than $9 billion worth of arms and equipment this year, as opposed to $8.5 billion last year, Rosoboronexport chief Anatoly Isaikin said on Wednesday.
- Russia's 5G fighter makes first demonstration flight RIA Novosti 17 Aug 2011 -- Russia's Sukhoi T-50 5th generation fighter performed its first demonstration flight at the MAKS 2011 International Aviation and Space Show on Wednesday.
- Russian Helicopters to deliver 40 Mi-171 helicopters to UTair before 2014 RIA Novosti 17 Aug 2011 -- The Russian Helicopters holding closed a deal on Wednesday to sell 40 Mi-171 helicopters to Russia's UTair Airlines, a spokesman for the holding said.
- Russia's Gazprom to buy 10 Sukhoi Superjets RIA Novosti 17 Aug 2011 -- A subsidiary of Russia's Gazprom gas giant has signed an agreement to buy 10 Sukhoi Superjet 100 airliners at the MAKS-2011 International Air Show in the Moscow region, Gazprom said on Wednesday.
- Russian company unveils 'bomb in a box' cruise missile system RIA Novosti 17 Aug 2011 -- A Russian company has unveiled a unique 'Pandora's Box''cruise missile system which is deployed and can be fired from a standard 40-foot shipping container, from ships, rail cars or even off the back of a truck.
- UAC signs $3.8-bln contract for 50 MS-21 passenger planes RIA Novosti 17 Aug 2011 -- Russia's state-run Rostekhnologii (Russian Technologies) corporation and Irkut Corporation (part of the state-run United Aircraft Corporation) signed on Wednesday a $3.8-billion contract for 50 MS-21 passenger jets.
- First Il-76MD transport to fly in Feb 2012 RIA Novosti 16 Aug 2011 -- Russia's Aviastar aircraft factory will produce the first production Il-76MD transport aircraft this year and test fly it in February 2012, a management source in the plant said at the international MAKS airshow on Tuesday.
- Russian commander says MiG-35 equal to U.S. F-35 fighter RIA Novosti 16 Aug 2011 -- The Russian military will use new MiG-35D multirole fighters as an equal to the U.S. F-35 fighters, the Air Force chief said on Tuesday.
- Russia's Air Force commander sets out new plans RIA Novosti 16 Aug 2011 -- The Russian Air Force is proceeding steadily with its re-equipment program despite unresolved questions about funding and deliveries of equipment, commander Col Gen. Alexander Zelin said on Tuesday on the first day of the MAKS air show.
- Russian Helicopters to sell 40 Mi-171 helicopters to UTair RIA Novosti 16 Aug 2011 -- The Russian Helicopters holding initialed a deal on Tuesday to sell 40 Mi-171 helicopters to Russia's UTair airlines, the company's director said on Tuesday.
- Russia to sell 100 Sukhoi Superjet 100, MS-21 passenger jets RIA Novosti 16 Aug 2011 -- Russia's state-run United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) expects to strike deals to sell 100 Sukhoi Superjet and MS-21 passenger jets during the current air show near Moscow, the UAC head said on Tuesday.
- Russian military to receive 450 helicopters this year RIA Novosti 16 Aug 2011 -- Russia's biggest helicopter building company has said it will supply the country's Air Force with more than 450 helicopters this year.
- New stealth fighter jet 'principal' for Russia, India RIA Novosti 16 Aug 2011 -- Russia's new stealth fighter jet, which is expected to make its first public appearance at the MAKS exhibition near Moscow on Tuesday, will be the principal plane for both the Russian and Indian military, a top official says.
- Future of Russian missile defense to be based in air RIA Novosti 15 Aug 2011 -- Russia's next generation missile defense systems which are currently under development will be based not on the ground but in the air, former chief designer of Almaz-Antei corporation Igor Ashurbeili said.
- Russia can offer new generation system for European missile shield RIA Novosti 15 Aug 2011 -- Russia could deploy its future S-500 anti-missile systems as part of a U.S.-led missile defense shield in Europe, a leading aerospace design chief said on Monday.
- New 'missile shield' to be built around Moscow after 2015 RIA Novosti 15 Aug 2011 -- Russia will deploy new S-500 air defense systems around Moscow after 2015, a leading Russian aerospace defense chief said on Monday.
- Russia to introduce new short-range air defense system by 2013 RIA Novosti 15 Aug 2011 -- A new short-range air defense missile system should be ready to enter service in Russia in 2013, former chief designer of Almaz-Antei corporation Igor Ashurbeili said.
- Russia to deliver five MiG-29K fighters to India by yearend RIA Novosti 13 Aug 2011 -- Russia's MiG aircraft maker will deliver a final batch of five MiG-29K/KUB carrier-based fighters to the Indian Navy under a 2004 contract by the end of this year, the company said.
- MiG close to Russian Navy MiG-29 deal RIA Novosti 12 Aug 2011 -- MiG aircraft corporation is close to completing negotiations with the Russian Defense Ministry for supply of MiG29K/KUB fighters for Russian Navy.
- Investigators to start working on An-12 crash site in Russian Far East RIA Novosti 12 Aug 2011 -- Investigators will start working on the site where an aging Antonov An-12 cargo plane crashed in Russia's Far East.
- Russia’s military aircraft industry stays aloft RIA Novosti 11 Aug 2011 -- For the first time in over twenty years, an entirely new Russian fighter aircraft will take to the skies at the MAKS-2011 air show.
- A Russian drone with a complicated history RIA Novosti 11 Aug 2011 -- Russia's leading drone developer, Vega, will unveil its latest model at the MAKS-2011 air show.
- Russia tests carrier rocket for Glonass satellite launch RIA Novosti 11 Aug 2011 -- Russia's Space Forces have started ground tests of a Soyuz-2.1b carrier rocket, which will orbit a Glonass satellite at the end of August.
- Crashed An-12 plane's cockpit voice recorder found RIA Novosti 11 Aug 2011 -- The cockpit voice recorder of the An-12 plane which crashed in Far East on Tuesday was found.
- U.S. says not notified about Russia's retaliatory blacklist RIA Novosti 11 Aug 2011 -- The US Department of State said it was not notified by Russia about a retaliatory blacklist.
- Tajikistan, Russia seek base lease deal RIA Novosti 10 Aug 2011 -- Talks on continued use of a base in Tajikistan by the Russian military are still in progress and agreement on a new lease of the facility will strengthen ties between the two countries.
- First Russian strike UAV to be showcased at Moscow air show RIA Novosti 10 Aug 2011 -- Lutch, Russia's first unmanned air vehicle designed to carry out air strikes, will be shown at the Moscow air show next week.
- An-12 crash likely caused by fuel explosion RIA Novosti 10 Aug 2011 -- An in-flight fuel explosion probably caused Tuesday's crash of an ageing Antonov An-12 cargo aircraft in Russia's Far East.
- Technical failure, pilot error possible causes of plane crash RIA Novosti 10 Aug 2011 -- Investigators are considering technical failure and pilot error as causes of Tuesday's crash of an Antonov An-12 transport plane.
- Russia Reportedly Blacklists U.S. Officials In Tit-For-Tat Over Magnitsky Sanctions RFE/RL 10 Aug 2011 -- Moscow has reportedly compiled a blacklist of several dozen U.S. officials who will be barred from entering Russia for allegedly violating the rights of two Russian citizens.
- Moscow draws up blacklist of U.S. officials in response to Magnitsky list - media RIA Novosti 10 Aug 2011 -- Moscow has prepared a blacklist of U.S. officials who will be banned from travelling to Russia in response to a U.S. blacklist of Russian officials.
- Russia's top court upholds sentence for U.S. spy ring 'traitor' RIA Novosti 09 Aug 2011 -- Russia's Supreme Court upheld sentence handed down in absentia to FIS colonel Poteyev, who had betrayed a spy ring in 2010.
- Russia developing new air defense systems RIA Novosti 09 Aug 2011 -- Russia is developing two air defense systems as part of future multilayered aerospace defense network.
- Russia to develop new AWACS plane RIA Novosti 09 Aug 2011 -- Russia hopes to develop a new airborne warning and control system (AWACS) plane by 2016.
- Russian pilot faces trial over damage to Su-27 fighter jet RIA Novosti 09 Aug 2011 -- An experienced Russian military pilot will be tried in Russia's Far East on charges of negligence that led to 2.4 million rubles in damages to an Su-27SM fighter jet.
- Russian air transport watchdog says crashed aircraft in Far East still missing RIA Novosti 09 Aug 2011 -- The Russian Federal Air Transport Agency denied on Tuesday earlier reports that remains of a crashed An-12 aircraft in Russia's Far East were discovered.
- New Russian light helicopter to appear at MAKS RIA Novosti 09 Aug 2011 -- A new Russian light helicopter, the Berkut VL, will go on show for the first time at the Moscow Air Show at Zhukovsky next week.
- Russia must decide fate of sunken nuclear subs RIA Novosti 08 Aug 2011 -- Russia must decide by 2013 what to do with two sunken nuclear submarines in the Barents and Kara seas.
- U.S., Russia to continue missile defense talks in St. Petersburg RIA Novosti 08 Aug 2011 -- The US and Russia will continue talks on the issue of a proposed European missile shield.
- Russia's Lavrov calls Georgia's Saakashvili 'ill-bred anomaly' RIA Novosti 08 Aug 2011 -- Russian FM Lavrov: Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili is an ill-bred pathology and anomaly of the Georgian people.
- Tbilisi refuses to cooperate with Moscow on probe into Russian-Georgian war RIA Novosti 08 Aug 2011 -- Georgia has refused to cooperate with Russia on the investigation into the Russian-Georgian war in August 2008.
- Five injured as passenger plane skids off runway in Russia's Far East RIA Novosti 08 Aug 2011 -- Five people were injured when a passenger An-24 plane skidded off the runway in the city of Blagoveshchensk.
- South Korean FM to visit Russia for talks on North's nuclear program RIA Novosti 07 Aug 2011 -- South Korean Foreign Minister Kim Sung-Hwan will pay a three-day official visit to Moscow on August 7-9 to discuss North Korea's nuclear program among other issues with his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov.
- Is South Ossetia's 'Independence' Under Threat? RFE/RL 05 Aug 2011 -- Three years after the Russia-Georgia war that served as the catalyst for Moscow's recognition of Georgian's breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia as independent states, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has suggested that South Ossetia could become part of the Russian Federation if 'the Ossetian people' give their approval.
- Medvedev Criticizes U.S. Senate Over Georgia RFE/RL 05 Aug 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has criticized the U.S. Senate over a resolution urging Moscow to withdraw troops from Georgia's breakaway regions.
- Medvedev: I will never forgive Saakashvili RIA Novosti 05 Aug 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has dismissed claims that Moscow was gearing up for the 2008 war with Georgia and said he 'will never forgive' Georgian leader Mikheil Saakashvili for the deaths of Russians caught up in the conflict.
- Washington was not behind Georgian attack on S. Ossetia - Medvedev RIA Novosti 05 Aug 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said he does not believe that the United States encouraged Georgia's aggression against its breakaway republic of South Ossetia in 2008, but could have given President Mikheil Saakashvili 'wrong ideas.'
- Russia, U.S. prepare new military cooperation deals RIA Novosti 04 Aug 2011 -- Russia and the United States plan to sign more military cooperation deals, the deputy chief of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation said on Thursday.
- Russia's MiG starts on new batch of carrier fighters for Indian Navy RIA Novosti 03 Aug 2011 -- Russia's MiG aircraft corporation has launched production of a new batch of MiG29K/KUB carrier fighters for the Indian Navy, a MiG spokesman said on Wednesday.
- Russian army to receive 120 Iskander tactical missile systems RIA Novosti 02 Aug 2011 -- The Russian Defense Ministry is planning to buy up to 120 Iskander-M tactical missile systems, Deputy Defense Minister Gen. Dmitry Bulgakov said.
- Russia, U.S., Canada to hold second air force anti-terror exercise RIA Novosti 01 Aug 2011 -- The Russian Air Force and NORAD, the U.S. and Canadian joint air defense command will hold a second round of anti-terrorism exercises on August 8-11, the Commander in Chief of the Eastern military district, Igor Muginov said on Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list