Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2008 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Russia to launch production of Tu-334 airliner within 6 months RIA Novosti 31 Jul 2008 -- Commercial production of a new Russian short-haul passenger airliner, the Tu-334, will start within the next six months.
- Libya seeks arms deals, closer energy ties with Russia RIA Novosti 31 Jul 2008 -- Libya's prime minister told his Russian counterpart on Thursday that his country plans to buy more Russian arms, and wants to step up cooperation in nuclear power.
- Russia's SS-18 Satan missile to stay in service for up to 8 years RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2008 -- Strategic Missile Forces: RS-20 Voyevoda (SS-18 Satan) intercontinental ballistic missile, will remain in service until 2014-16.
- Russia withdraws railroad troops from Abkhazia RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2008 -- Russian railroad troops held a ceremony Wednesday to open a repaired section of railroad in Abkhazia, before heading for home after a two-month deployment in the separatist Georgian republic.
- Russian carrier rocket to orbit European GOCE satellite Sept. 10 RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2008 -- The launch of a Russian Rockot carrier rocket bearing Europe's first GOCE satellite has been scheduled for September 10, the Khrunichev State Research and Production Center said on Wednesday.
- War Fears Rise Over Russia-Georgia Tension VOA 29 Jul 2008 -- Tensions remain high between Russia and Georgia over the breakaway Georgian regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia
- Russia's Rosatom to bid to build nuclear reactor in Belarus RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2008 -- Russian state nuclear power corporation Rosatom has agreed to take part in a tender for the construction of a nuclear power plant in Belarus, the ex-Soviet republic's energy ministry said Tuesday.
- Indian submarine to join navy after delayed refit in Russia RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2008 -- The INS Sindhuvijay diesel-electric submarine will set sail for India on August 5 to rejoin the Indian navy after an extensive overhaul at a shipyard in northern Russia, the company said on Tuesday.
- Russia's Power Machines to build 1.8M euro gas turbines for Iran RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2008 -- A Russian machinery manufacturer has signed a contract with Iran to supply 1.8 mln euros ($2.82 mln) worth of power generating equipment for a heat and electric power plant, the company said on Tuesday.
- Su-27 Flanker fighter crashes in Russia's Far East, 1 pilot dead RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2008 -- A Russian Su-27UB Flanker air superiority fighter crashed on Tuesday in the Primorye Territory in Russia's Far East, killing one pilot, an Air Force spokesman said.
- Russia ranks 2nd in world for nuclear safety - Putin RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2008 -- Russia has reached second place in the world in terms of the level of safety of its nuclear power industry, the prime minister said on Tuesday.
- Putin vows to back domestic production of military hardware parts RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2008 -- The Russian government will work out a specially targeted federal program to ensure that components for military hardware are produced domestically, the Russian prime minister said Monday.
- Over 8,000 troops involved in strategic exercises in east Russia RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2008 -- More than 8,000 troops are participating in strategic command-and-staff exercises in eastern Russia, the Defense Ministry said on Monday.
- Russia, Jordan discuss jointly producing grenade launchers RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2008 -- Russia is negotiating with Jordan to set up a joint venture to make rocket-propelled grenade launchers, a Russian arms manufacturer said Monday.
- Extradition hearing for Russian 'merchant of death' adjourned RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2008 -- A Thai court postponed on Monday for a second time an extradition hearing for a Russian businessman charged with arms smuggling after his new Thai lawyer was unable to attend court, national media said.
- Russia to have 5-6 aircraft carriers in Northern, Pacific Fleets RIA Novosti 27 Jul 2008 -- Russia will create 5-6 aircraft carrier groups in the Northern and Pacific Fleets, the Navy commander said on Sunday.
- Russian Navy prioritizes construction of nuclear submarines RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2008 -- The construction of new-generation nuclear-powered ballistic missile and attack submarines is a top priority for the Russian Navy's development, the Navy commander said on Friday.
- Russia wants Black Sea Fleet in Ukraine after 2017 - Navy chief RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2008 -- Russia would like to keep the Black Sea Fleet base in Ukraine's port of Sevastopol after 2017, the Russian Navy commander said Friday.
- Indian PM seeks Moscow's backing at NSG over Indo-US nuke deal IRNA 25 Jul 2008 -- Aggressively canvassing for the Indo-US nuclear deal after the victory in the trust vote, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh called up Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and apparently sought Moscow' backing at the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG).
- Russians Watch U.S. Presidential Race With Interest RFE/RL 24 Jul 2008 -- Russians are following the U.S. presidential campaign with rapt interest, despite the constant drumbeat of anti-Americanism coming from the country's main television channels -- or, maybe, because of it
- Fidel Castro Praises Brother for Silence on Russian Bombers VOA 24 Jul 2008 -- Former Cuban President Fidel Castro says his brother was right to adopt a "dignified silence" about a newspaper report that Russia may soon station nuclear-capable bombers on the island.
- Ukraine urges start to preparations for Russian fleet pullout RIA Novosti 24 Jul 2008 -- Ukraine's president said Thursday that preparations for the withdrawal by 2017 of Russia's Black Sea Fleet from Ukrainian territory should begin now.
- Venezuela to buy more weaponry from Russia RIA Novosti 24 Jul 2008 -- Venezuela may purchase man-portable air defense systems, Il-76 transport planes and T-90 tanks from Russian in the near future, a Russian political analyst said Thursday.
- Russian S-300 missiles 'would ensure Venezuela's oil security' RIA Novosti 24 Jul 2008 -- Russian S-300 air-defense missile systems would enable Venezuela to fully ensure the security of its hydrocarbon resources, a Russian military expert said Thursday.
- Russia 'could answer U.S. shield with orbital ballistic missiles' RIA Novosti 24 Jul 2008 -- Russia could put in place an orbital ballistic missile system in response to U.S. missile defense plans for Central Europe, a senior Russian military expert said on Thursday.
- Russian expert warns against nuclear bombers in Cuba RIA Novosti 24 Jul 2008 -- The deployment of Russian nuclear-capable strategic bombers in Cuba to counter U.S. missile defense plans in Europe would be a destructive move, a Russian military expert said Thursday.
- Russia could place bombers in Latin America, N.Africa - paper RIA Novosti 24 Jul 2008 -- Russian strategic bombers may soon be deployed at airbases in Cuba, Venezuela and Algeria as a response to the U.S. missile shield in Europe and NATO's expansion, Russian daily Izvestia said on Thursday.
- Germany hands Litvinenko case materials to Russia RIA Novosti 24 Jul 2008 -- Germany has passed on to Russia materials on the 2006 murder of security service defector Alexander Litvinenko, Russia's top investigators said on Thursday.
- Presence of Russian military bases in Venezuela unlikely - analyst RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2008 -- The likelihood of Russian military bases in Venezuela is highly improbable due to the absence of the resources necessary to maintain them, a Russian political analyst said on Wednesday.
- Venezuela may spend $5 bln on Russian arms in next decade RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2008 -- Venezuela may purchase weaponry from Russia worth $5 billion over the next 10 years, a Russian political analyst said on Wednesday.
- Moscow must answer U.S. shield with Cuban 'spy' site - analyst RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2008 -- Russia should respond to U.S. missile defense plans for Central Europe by reopening a 'spy' facility in Cuba to gather intelligence on the United States, a Russian analyst said on Wednesday.
- Ukraine parliament to discuss Russian fleet pullout preparations RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2008 -- A bill on preparing for the Russian Black Sea Fleet's withdrawal from Ukraine's Crimea by 2017 is ready and will soon be submitted to the Ukrainian parliament, the country's foreign minister said on Tuesday.
- Putin wants closer military ties with Venezuela RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2008 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin told Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez on Tuesday that he hopes military ties between the countries will strengthen.
- Russia denies role in warplane deliveries to Sudan RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2008 -- Russian state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport denied on Tuesday any involvement in deliveries of Russian jet fighters to Sudan.
- Russia questions NATO's ability to ensure global stability RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2008 -- NATO expansion will not lead to greater stability in the world, the head of a post-Soviet security bloc said on Tuesday.
- Russian bombers to fire live missiles in Siberia drills RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2008 -- Five Russian Tu-22 Blinder bombers will fire live missiles at a test range in East Siberia's Irkutsk Region during tactical exercises starting on Wednesday, the Air Force said on Tuesday.
- Russian missile cruiser begins patrols around Spitsbergen RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2008 -- A Russian missile cruiser started on Tuesday patrols in the area around Norway's Arctic archipelago of Spitsbergen, to ensure security of Russia's maritime navigation in Arctic, a Navy spokesman said.
- China, Russia Sign Border Agreement VOA 21 Jul 2008 -- China and Russia have signed a border agreement that settles the demarcation of their 4,300-kilometer border
- Belarus secretly delivers Russian warplanes to Sudan - paper RIA Novosti 21 Jul 2008 -- A consignment of Russian fighter jets has been shipped to Sudan from Belarus, in an apparent breach of a UN Security Council resolution banning arms sales to the African state, the Sudan Tribune said.
- NATO proposes joint Black Sea naval drills with Russia RIA Novosti 19 Jul 2008 -- NATO has proposed holding joint mine-clearing exercises in the Black Sea with the Russian Navy, the country's Black Sea Fleet said on Saturday.
- Russia concerned over U.S.-Ukraine Black Sea military exercises RIA Novosti 18 Jul 2008 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry voiced on Friday its concerns over the U.S.-Ukrainian Sea Breeze naval exercises currently underway in the Black Sea.
- Russian warship arrives in Norway for Northern Eagle 2008 exercise RIA Novosti 17 Jul 2008 -- A Russian ASW ship, the Severomorsk, arrived on Thursday in Norway's main naval base of Haakonsvern on its way to participate in a joint U.S.-Russian naval exercise in the Barents Sea, a Navy spokesman said.
- Moscow refuses to extradite Yushchenko poisoning suspect to Kiev RIA Novosti
- 16 Jul 2008 -- Russia has refused to extradite a former Ukrainian security service deputy head suspected of involvement in the poisoning of President Viktor Yushchenko in 2004, Ukraine's Prosecutor General's Office said Wednesday.
- Medvedev Unveils Little New In Russia's Foreign-Policy Course RFE/RL 16 Jul 2008 -- When Dmitry Medvedev became Russian president in May, many wondered whether the soft-spoken young lawyer would find ways to set himself apart from his domineering predecessor, Vladimir Putin.
- Pentagon Says 'Aggressive' Russian Statements on Missile Defense Not Justified VOA 15 Jul 20008 -- The head of the U.S. missile defense program says Russia's sharp rhetoric about the system is not justified, and installations planned for Europe would not be any threat to Russia or its defenses
- Russia says U.S. missile shield will harm European security RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2008 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said on Tuesday that the placement of a U.S. missile shield in Europe will harm regional security.
- Russia begins active stage of Caucasus 2008 military exercise RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2008 -- Russia began the active stage of large-scale military exercises in several regions of the Southern Federal District, which includes the highly volatile North Caucasus republics, a senior military official said.
- Russia completes flight tests of 4 MiG-27 warplanes for Serbia RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2008 -- Russian aircraft maker MiG said on Tuesday it had completed a flight test program on four MiG-27 Flogger ground-attack aircraft for Serbia's Air Force.
- Russia may export new Su-35 fighters to India, Malaysia, Algeria RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2008 -- Russia is ready to export the new state-of-the-art Su-35 Flanker multirole air superiority/strike fighter to India, Malaysia and Algeria, Russia's state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport said on Tuesday.
- Russia will not be drawn into new arms race - Medvedev RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2008 -- Russia's president set out new foreign policy guidelines on Tuesday, stating that the country would resist being pulled into a new arms race and criticizing NATO's ongoing expansion, the Kremlin said.
- Russian ambassador denies increase in Russian spies in U.K. RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2008 -- The Russian ambassador to Britain denied Tuesday claims by London that Moscow has increased its intelligence activity in the U.K.
- Over 60 Russian defense firms take part in Farnborough air show RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2008 -- More than 60 Russian defense-industry companies are taking part in the Farnborough air show that opened on Monday, southwest of the British capital.
- Russia and Kazakhstan to hold joint war games in 2009-2011 RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2008 -- Russia and Kazakhstan will hold joint military exercises in 2009-2011, the two countries' defense ministers announced in Moscow on Monday.
- Russia's Irkut has 80 solid orders for Yak-130 combat trainers RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2008 -- Russia's Irkut corporation, the manufacturer of the famed Sukhoi fighters, has 80 solid orders for Yak-130 combat trainers, the company director said on Monday during the Farnborough air show currently being held near London.
- Russian Navy resumes military presence near Spitsbergen RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2008 -- The Russian Navy has resumed a military presence around the Arctic Ocean archipelago of Spitsbergen, which belongs to Norway, a navy statement said on Monday.
- Russia's Sukhoi to produce Su-35 fighter up to 2020 RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2008 -- Russia's leading aircraft maker Sukhoi plans to produce its new state-of-the-art Su-35 Flanker-E multirole fighter plane over a period of 10 years up to 2020, the company's general director said.
- Russia, Kazakhstan to sign three-year war games deal RIA Novosti 11 Jul 2008 -- Russia and Kazakhstan are to sign a three-year agreement on joint military drills in the near future, the Russian defense minister said on Friday.
- Russia: Iran's Current Missile Range Too Short for Threat VOA 11 Jul 2008 -- The United States and Russia continue sparring over a Central European missile defense system, as Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says America is committed to protecting its allies from a possible Iranian missile attack, and her Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, claiming Tehran's missiles do not have sufficient range to justify the controversial system
- Russia says Iran war games show U.S. does not need missile shield RIA Novosti 11 Jul 2008 -- Russia's foreign minister said on Friday that Iran's recent missile tests show it does not have ability to attack Europe, and disprove the U.S. justification for a missile shield in Central Europe.
- Russia 'accuses British diplomat of spying' RIA Novosti 11 Jul 2008 -- A new spy row looks set to break out between Moscow and London after Russia apparently accused a British diplomat of espionage.
- Czechs Protest Russian Threats Against US Missiles VOA 10 Jul 2008 -- Czech officials are accusing Russia of interfering in their internal affairs by threatening military action against a planned U.S. missile defense system on Czech soil.
- Russia to rotate peacekeepers in Transdnestr by July 24 RIA Novosti 10 Jul 2008 -- A rotation of Russian peacekeepers in the conflict zone of Moldova's breakaway republic of Transdnestr will be conducted between July 17 and 24, the peacekeepers' commander said on Thursday.
- Russia admits military flight over S.Ossetia RIA Novosti 10 Jul 2008 -- Russia admitted on Thursday it had sent aircraft to monitor the situation in the Georgian breakaway republic of South Ossetia earlier this week due to fears of a Georgian invasion of the de facto independent region.
- Rice says Russia should not fuel tensions in Georgia RIA Novosti 10 Jul 2008 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Thursday Russia should help Georgia resolve conflicts with its breakaway regions rather than exacerbate them.
- Rice Calls on Russia to Help Resolve Tensions in Georgia VOA 10 Jul 2008 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says Russia should help resolve rising tensions in neighboring Georgia rather than contribute to disagreements between the Tbilisi government and its breakaway regions.
- US missiles in Czech will heighten tension with Russia, UK MPs fear IRNA 10 Jul 2008 -- British MPs have expressed regret in parliament at the initial agreement to begin basing part of the controversial US intercontinental ballistic missile shield in the Czech republic.
- U.S. may secretly deploy ballistic missiles in Poland - expert RIA Novosti 10 Jul 2008 -- The U.S. may station intermediary and shorter-range ballistic missiles in Poland under the guise of interceptors, a Russian expert said Thursday.
- Russia may scrap missile deal over U.S. shield - military expert RIA Novosti 10 Jul 2008 -- Russia may respond to U.S. plans for missile defense bases in Central Europe with a host of measures, including the withdrawal from the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, a senior military expert said on Thursday.
- Russia 'able to ensure security' despite U.S. missile shield RIA Novosti 10 Jul 2008 -- Russia has the means to ensure national security despite any potential threats posed by the planned United States missile shield in Central Europe, the Foreign Ministry said on Thursday.
- Russia's new main battle tank to enter service 'after 2010' RIA Novosti 10 Jul 2008 -- Russia's armed forces will start receiving new-generation tanks superior to the famed T-90 main battle tank (MBT) "after 2010," a government official said on Thursday.
- Russia's Balkars Present New Grievances RFE/RL 24 Jul 2008 -- The Inter-Regional Public Organization Balkariya, which unites Balkar communities in several North Caucasus republics, convened a rally on June 29 in Nalchik, the capital of the Kabardino-Balkaria Republic (KBR), to protest the failure of the predominantly Kabardian republican leadership to comply with federal legislation protecting the rights of the Balkar minority.
- Russia must punish states hosting U.S. missile shield - analyst RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2008 -- Russia must use economic and political means, and military ties with Asia, to punish European states that agree to host U.S. missile defense elements, a Russian political analyst said on Wednesday.
- Medvedev pledges response to U.S. missile shield RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2008 -- Russia will respond to U.S. missile shield plans in Central Europe, President Dmitry Medvedev said on Wednesday, pledging at the same time that Moscow would not resort to 'hysterics' over the issue.
- Russian arms exports to pass $6 bln in 2008 RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2008 -- Russia's arms exports are expected to exceed $6 bln this year, the chief executive of the state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport said Wednesday.
- Russian strategic bombers continue Arctic, Atlantic patrols RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2008 -- Four Russian strategic bombers are carrying out a routine patrol over the Arctic and Atlantic oceans, a Russian Air Force spokesman said on Wednesday.
- Russia calls U.S. missile shield proposals 'vague, unacceptable' RIA Novosti 08 Jul 2008 -- A top Russian general said on Tuesday that U.S. proposals intended to soothe Russian concerns over a proposed U.S. missile shield in Central Europe are vague and contain too many unacceptable conditions.
- Russia starts large-scale naval exercise in the Pacific RIA Novosti 08 Jul 2008 -- Over 20 combat and auxiliary ships from Russia's Pacific Fleet started on Tuesday a large-scale naval exercise in the Sea of Japan, which includes live firing drills, a fleet spokesman said.
- Russia denies role in Litvinenko death, claims progress in probe RIA Novosti 08 Jul 2008 -- Russia's top investigators said on Tuesday they have made substantial progress in investigating the 2006 killing of a Russian security service defector in London, and rejected claims of the Kremlin's role in his death.
- Russia, U.S. in deadlock over missile shield as G8 starts in Japan RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2008 -- The presidents of Russia and the U.S. discussed the countries' long-running dispute over Washington's plans to deploy a missile shield in Central Europe on the first day of the G8 summit in Japan.
- Russia hopes for new strategic arms deal with U.S. by yearend RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2008 -- Russia expects to reach a new nuclear arms reduction treaty with the United States by the end of the year, an aide to the president of Russia said on Sunday.
- Russia's Su-35 fighter makes first demonstration flight RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2008 -- Russia's new state-of-the-art Su-35 Flanker multirole air superiority/strike fighter successfully completed its first demonstration flight on Monday.
- Russian Air Force may receive fifth-generation fighter in 2013 RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2008 -- Russia is expecting a new fifth-generation fighter to enter service in 2013, the Air Force commander said on Monday.
- Bush, Medvedev Agree on Iran, Not Missile Defense VOA 07 Jul 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev say they are united in trying to convince Iran to stop enriching uranium, but remain divided over American plans for a missile defense system in Eastern Europe
- Ukraine offers to build new cruise missile engines for Russia RIA Novosti 05 Jul 2008 -- Motor Sich, Ukraine's largest manufacturer of aircraft and rocket engines, has offered Russia to manufacture a new engine for Russian cruise missiles, the head of the company said on Saturday.
- Russia begins military exercises in volatile N. Caucasus region RIA Novosti 05 Jul 2008 -- Russia began Saturday large-scale military exercises in several regions of the Southern Federal District, which includes highly volatile North Caucasus republics, a senior military official said.
- Russia to lease 'deadly' nuclear attack sub to India in 2009 RIA Novosti 04 Jul 2008 -- Russia has begun dock trials of a nuclear submarine, which will be leased in 2009 to the Indian navy for 10 years, a prominent Indian daily reported.
- First three Russian military helicopters delivered to Indonesia RIA Novosti 03 Jul 2008 -- The first three Russian Mi-17-B5 Hip H medium assault/transport helicopters were delivered to Indonesia on Thursday.
- Medvedev Trying to Carve Out New Role as President to Help Modernize Nation cfr.org 03 Jul 2008
- Medvedev says Russia Needs More Political Competition VOA 03 Jul 2008 -- Russian President Dmitri Medvedev says his country needs more political competition, but only under continued rule by a strong president
- Russia says new nuclear security rules will not affect Bushehr RIA Novosti 02 Jul 2008 -- The Russian parliament's ratification on Wednesday of an amendment to a major international treaty on nuclear security will not affect the construction of a nuclear power plant in Iran, a senior diplomat said.
- Russia, Ukraine Discuss Contentious Energy, Security Issues VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin met with his Ukrainian counterpart Yulia Tymoshenko in Moscow on Saturday to discuss controversial economic and military issues that have raised tensions between their two countries
- Russia's NATO envoy calls for closer ties with Belarus RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2008 -- Russia's envoy to NATO said on Tuesday that Russia-Belarus ties should be strengthened, and that the two countries could never join the Western military alliance.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list