Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2008 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Russia's Putin warns Ukraine over plans to join NATO RIA Novosti 28 Jun 2008 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin warned Ukraine over its plans to join NATO and said Russia would transfer its space and hi-tech facilities to domestic soil, if the ex-Soviet republic enters the alliance.
- Russia successfully launches rocket with military satellite RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2008 -- A Proton-K/DM-2 heavy carrier rocket with a Cosmos-series military satellite has been successfully launched from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan on Friday, a Defense Ministry spokesman said.
- Russia denies Abkhazia 'separation' talks with Georgia RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2008 -- Moscow has denied discussing with Tbilisi the division of Georgia's breakaway republic of Abkhazia into Russian and Georgian spheres of influence, the Russian foreign minister said on Friday.
- Military prosecutors open probe into blast in Russia's Far East RIA Novosti 26 Jun 2008 -- Military prosecutors in Russia's Far East have launched a criminal probe into an accident during exercises that left one serviceman dead and eight wounded, a source in the regional prosecutor's office said Thursday.
- Russia completes nuclear fuel shipments to Indian NPP RIA Novosti 26 Jun 2008 -- Russia has completed the shipments of nuclear fuel for the first unit of India's Kudankulam nuclear power plant, a source in the Indian nuclear power sector said on Thursday.
- Russian Expo Arms 2008 to showcase 500 companies RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2008 -- About 500 domestic and foreign arms manufacturers will participate in an international arms exhibition to be held in the Urals Region next month, a local government official said on Wednesday.
- Russia 'does not rule out' U.S.-Lithuania missile defense talks RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2008 -- Russia does not rule out the possibility that the U.S. and Lithuania are holding informal talks over the deployment in the former Soviet state of elements of a U.S. missile defense system, Russia's foreign minister said on Wednesday.
- Russia says nuclear sector open to foreign investment RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2008 -- Russia's nuclear industry is open to both domestic and foreign investors, a Russian deputy prime minister told an international nuclear forum on Wednesday.
- Russia to sell six multi launch rocket systems to Turkmenistan RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2008 -- Turkmenistan has signed a $70 million contract with Russia to buy six Smerch multi launch rocket systems (MLRS), a Russian business daily said on Tuesday.
- Russia hopes Israel allows armored vehicle supplies to PNA RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2008 -- Russia is hoping Israel will resolve issues blocking the delivery of 50 armored personnel carriers to the Palestinian territories as part of an aid program, the Russian foreign minister said Tuesday.
- Russia prepares for future combat in the Arctic RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2008 -- Russia must be ready to fight wars in the Arctic to protect its national interests in a region that contains large and untapped deposits of natural resources, a high-ranking military official said in an interview published Tuesday.
- Russia may propose that Kiev raise Black Sea Fleet rent RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2008 -- Moscow may propose that Ukraine raises the rent for Russia's Black Sea Fleet base in the Crimean peninsula after the current agreement expires in 2017, a Russian deputy foreign minister said in an interview on Monday.
- New Russian frigate may be fitted with BrahMos cruise missiles RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2008 -- A Russian frigate being built at a shipyard in St. Petersburg may be equipped with sea-based Russian-Indian BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles, a Russian defense industry official said on Friday.
- Russia says missile defense talks with U.S. stalled RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2008 -- Russia's foreign minister said on Friday that talks with the United States over its missile shield plans for Central Europe have stalled.
- Russia, EU start work on civilian nuclear power deal - Rosatom RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2008 -- Russia and the European Union are working on an agreement on the civilian use of atomic energy, a deputy head of Russia's state nuclear corporation Rosatom said on Friday.
- Four Russian strategic bombers patrol Arctic, Atlantic oceans RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2008 -- Four Russian strategic bombers are carrying out a routine patrol over remote areas of the Arctic and Atlantic oceans, a Russian Air Force spokesman said on Friday.
- Iraq to exclude Russia from oil deals RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2008 -- The Iraqi government is to sign over 30 contracts for lucrative oil deals with major Western oil companies before the end of June, leaving Russian companies out in the cold, a U.S. daily has cited a spokesman for the Iraqi Oil Ministry as saying.
- India, Russia develop airborne supersonic cruise missile RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2008 -- The Russian-Indian BrahMos Aerospace joint venture has finished the development of the airborne version of an advanced supersonic missile, the company's managing director has said.
- EU: Brussels Looks To Turn The Page With Moscow RFE/RL 19 Jun 2008 -- "Common interests" have become buzzwords for the EU as it attempts to get its relationship with Russia off the ground again after some difficult years.
- U.S. 'plans to neutralize Russian nuclear weapons by 2012-2015' RIA Novosti 18 Jun 2008 -- The U.S.-proposed European missile shield will eventually spread along Russia's borders and may neutralize Russia's nuclear potential by 2012-2015, a Russian political analyst said on Wednesday.
- Russia to deliver six Mi-35 attack helicopters to Indonesia RIA Novosti 18 Jun 2008 -- The Indonesian Armed Forces will soon receive a delivery of six Russian Mi-35 Hind attack helicopters, the Antara national news said on Wednesday.
- Moscow says Georgia must review its stance on Russian peacekeepers RIA Novosti 18 Jun 2008 -- Moscow demands that Tbilisi review its stance on Russian peacekeepers deployed in the Georgian breakaway republic of Abkhazia, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
- Moscow warns against pulling peacekeepers out of Abkhazia RIA Novosti 17 Jun 2008 -- The withdrawal of Russian peacekeeping forces from Georgia's breakaway republic of Abkhazia will aggravate the situation and provoke a wider conflict in the Caucasus, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Tuesday.
- Thai prosecution of 'Merchant of Death' illegal - lawyer RIA Novosti 16 Jun 2008 -- A lawyer for an alleged Russian arms dealer in custody in Thailand said on Monday that Thai authorities had illegally opened a criminal case against his client.
- Russia may help Britain scrap nuclear submarines RIA Novosti 16 Jun 2008 -- Russia's Zvezdochka shipyard in the town of Severodvinsk on the Barents Sea could scrap Britain's decommissioned nuclear submarines, a company official said on Monday.
- Russia: Moscow Looks To Expand Military Presence In Central Asia RFE/RL 16 Jun 2008 -- Some events this month indicate Russia is trying to boost its military presence in energy-rich Central Asia, and the region's governments seem content to expand their military ties with Russia.
- Russian nuclear agency rejects rumors of radiation leaks RIA Novosti 16 Jun 2008 -- Russian nuclear power agency Rosatom dismissed on Monday rumors circulating of a radioactive leak from two plants in northwest and south Russia.
- Regional Russian Leader Challenges Kremlin Authority VOA 16 Jun 2008 -- The president of Russia's Tatarstan republic is calling for direct popular election of regional governors, a move that challenges Kremlin authority to appoint local officials at the expense of the people's right to elect their own representative
- Russia's Black Sea Fleet does not threaten Ukrainian sovereignty RIA Novosti 14 Jun 2008 -- The presence of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in Sevastopol is no threat to Ukraine's sovereignty, Russia's deputy prime minister said during celebrations to mark the city's 225th anniversary on Saturday.
- Russia: NATO Chief Praises Cooperation, Despite Differences RFE/RL 13 Jun 2008 -- NATO's secretary-general has hailed cooperation with Russia, despite a number of sharp disagreements between Moscow and the Western alliance.
- Russia's defense chief says disputes hold back ties with NATO RIA Novosti 13 Jun 2008 -- Russia's defense minister said after talks with NATO counterparts on Friday that disagreements over the CFE treaty and U.S. missile shield plans continue to hold back Russia-NATO relations.
- Russian, NATO defense chiefs to discuss missile shield, Abkhazia RIA Novosti 13 Jun 2008 -- Russia's defense minister will meet with his NATO counterparts in Brussels on Friday for talks expected to focus on Russia's role in the Georgian rebel region of Abkhazia and U.S. missile shield plans.
- Lawmakers Voice Concerns on US-Russia Nuclear Deal VOA 13 Jun 2008 -- Democrats and Republicans in Congress have voiced concerns to a Bush administration arms control official about a U.S. - Russia civilian nuclear cooperation deal
- Medvedev doubts NATO's ability to protect Europe RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2008 -- Russia's president said on Wednesday that the North Atlantic Treaty Organization is ill-equipped to address the security problems facing Europe.
- Russia Proposes New European Security Structure VOA 11 Jun 2008 -- Russian President Dmitri Medvedev is proposing a new European security structure that appears aimed at replacing NATO and possibly reducing U.S. influence on the continent
- 'Merchant of Death' defense says no extradition to U.S. RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2008 -- A lawyer for an alleged Russian arms dealer in custody in Thailand on suspicion of illegal arms trading and other crimes, said Wednesday his client is unlikely to be extradited to the United States.
- Ukraine concerned over Russia's chemical disposal plant RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2008 -- Ukraine is concerned over a Russian chemical weapons disposal plant currently being constructed 70 km (43 miles) away from its borders, the country's foreign minister said on Wednesday.
- Russia beefs up military presence in Kyrgyzstan RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2008 -- Russia will deploy more personnel and equipment at its air base in Kyrgyzstan, the Air Force commander told a Russian daily on Wednesday.
- Russian Navy planes patrol the Arctic RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2008 -- Two Tu-142 aircraft from Russia's Northern Fleet have successfully conducted a reconnaissance flight over the Arctic Ocean in latitudes close to the North Pole, a Navy spokesman said on Wednesday.
- Russian Tu-160 bombers continue patrols over the Arctic RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2008 -- Four Russian Tu-160 Blackjack strategic bombers are conducting patrol flights over the Arctic Ocean, a spokesman for Russia's Air Force said on Wednesday.
- Russia starts building new missile frigate for Indian Navy RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2008 -- The Yantar Shipyard in Russia's Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad will start on Wednesday the construction of the third Project 11356 frigate for the Indian Navy under a second contract, the company said.
- Putin urges long-term contracts, stable prices in defense sector RIA Novosti 10 Jun 2008 -- Russia's prime minister proposed on Tuesday switching over to long-term contracts and establishing stable prices for the procurement of armaments for the country's military.
- Russian strategic bombers complete 20-hour patrol over Arctic RIA Novosti 10 Jun 2008 -- Two Russian Tu-95 Bear strategic bombers have successfully completed a 20-hour patrol flight over the Arctic, a spokesman for Russia's Air Force said on Tuesday.
- Russian warships to join intl. drills in Mediterranean, Black Sea RIA Novosti 10 Jun 2008 -- Russia's Black Sea Fleet warships will take part in several international drills in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea later this year, a Navy spokesman said on Tuesday.
- Russian Navy to expand presence in Arctic, Atlantic, Pacific RIA Novosti 10 Jun 2008 -- Russia's Defense Ministry is planning to expand the presence of the Russian Navy in the world's oceans and extend the operational radius of submarines deployed with the Northern Fleet, a high-ranking military official said on Tuesday.
- Vostok battalion to remain in Chechnya RIA Novosti 10 Jun 2008 -- Russia's Defense Ministry will keep its Vostok special battalion, allegedly involved in a recent shootout with Chechen presidential guards, in the Chechen Republic, a high-ranking military official said on Tuesday.
- Poland reiterates U.S. missile defense 'no threat to Russia' RIA Novosti 10 Jun 2008 -- Poland is holding discussions with Russia over the possible construction of U.S. missile defense facilities on its territory so that Moscow can be confident they pose no threat to Russian national security, the Polish ambassador to Azerbaijan said on Tuesday.
- Russian strategic bombers fly routine patrol over the Arctic RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2008 -- A pair of Russian Tu-95 Bear strategic bombers took off Monday from the Engels airbase in central Russia on a routine patrol flight over the Arctic Ocean, an Air Force spokesman said.
- Russia destroys 20 ballistic missiles in 2008 under START treaty RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2008 -- Russia has destroyed and sent for scrap about 20 intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) and 12 mobile missile launchers since the start of 2008, the Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) said on Monday.
- Russia may resume arms sales to Afghanistan RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2008 -- Moscow is considering resuming deliveries of Russian arms to Afghanistan, Russia's first deputy foreign minister said on Monday.
- U.S. envoy would like to see Russia as NATO member RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2008 -- The permanent U.S. representative to NATO said on Monday she would like to see Russia as a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- Commentary: Russia Accomplishing Much Where It Matters Least RFE/RL 08 Jun 2008 -- In their novel "The Little Golden Calf," the classic Soviet satirists Ilya Ilf and Yevgeny Petrov formulated the "theory of two worlds," which remains relevant today.
- Russia: Medvedev Blames U.S. For Economic Crisis, Offers Moscow's Help RFE/RL 07 Jun 2008 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, in his first major speech on economics since taking office, has blamed the United States for the global economic downturn and offered Moscow's help.
- Russian Air Force says military fighters no threat to airliner RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2008 -- A Russian Air Force official said on Saturday that military aircraft flying near to a passenger airliner in northwest Russia had not posed any threat to the civilian plane.
- Russia to build breakwater at Black Sea naval base by 2014 RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2008 -- Russia plans to build a deep-water breakwater to protect Black Sea Fleet ships at a naval base in Novorossiysk in south Russia by 2014.
- Russia: Moscow Warns Georgia, Ukraine; Brushes Off Abkhaz Mediation Offer RFE/RL 07 Jun 2008 -- Russia has condemned moves by Georgia and Ukraine to join NATO, saying they could have serious repercussions.
- Russia says rail troops to leave Abkhazia within 2 months RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2008 -- Russian railroad troops will leave Georgia's breakaway republic of Abkhazia within two months, Russia's defense minister said on Saturday.
- Russia's Glonass satellite system to be fully operational in 2010 RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2008 -- Russia's Glonass satellite system is expected to become fully operational in 2010, if it receives sufficient financing, the head of the Russian Space Agency (Roscosmos) said on Saturday.
- LUKoil hopes to land Iraq contract after oil law adopted RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2008 -- Russia's largest independent oil producer LUKoil is hoping for success in negotiations with Iraq on a deal to develop Iraq's largest oil field, West Qurna-2, the company's CEO said on Saturday.
- Russia Warns Ukraine, Georgia Over Seeking NATO Membership VOA 06 Jun 2008 -- Russia is warning of negative consequences if Ukraine and Georgia join the NATO defense alliance
- Russia warns Georgian NATO entry would spark new confrontations RIA Novosti 06 Jun 2008 -- Georgia's accession to NATO would cause a new spiral of confrontation in the Caucasus region, Russia's foreign minister said on Friday.
- Russian president warns of NATO's eastward expansion IRNA 06 Jun 2008 -- Efforts by NATO to expand eastward will negatively impact the relations between Russia and the US-led western military pact and lead to lasting political tensions, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said Thursday during a keenly anticipated foreign policy speech at a Berlin hotel.
- Russia: Medvedev Faces Tough Talks With Georgian, Ukrainian, Turkmen Leaders RFE/RL 05 Jun 2008 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev is set to meet CIS leaders at bilateral meetings on June 6-7 on the sidelines of an economic forum in his native St. Petersburg.
- Medvedev worried by lack of understanding in foreign affairs RIA Novosti 05 Jun 2008 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said on Thursday during his first European trip since being sworn into office that he was worried by a decline in mutual understanding in international affairs.
- Two Russian ships to take part in NATO-led exercises RIA Novosti 05 Jun 2008 -- Two Russian ships are to take part in NATO-led exercises in the Baltic Sea, a spokesman for the Russian Navy said on Thursday.
- Poland against permanent presence of Russian experts at U.S. base RIA Novosti 04 Jun 2008 -- Poland would agree only to regular inspections by Russian military experts at a planned U.S. anti-missile base in the north of the country, but not to their permanent presence, the Polish Foreign Ministry has said.
- Ukraine says Russia cannot have more warships in Crimea RIA Novosti 04 Jun 2008 -- The agreement between Ukraine and Russia on the stationing of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in the Crimea does not allow any increase in the number of warships, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
- EU warns Russia's actions threaten stability in Abkhazia RIA Novosti 04 Jun 2008 -- Russia's actions in Georgia's breakaway territory of Abkhazia could damage stability in the region, the EU's external relations commissioner told Russian MPs on Wednesday.
- Russia plans to reinforce its air base in Kyrgyzstan RIA Novosti 04 Jun 2008 -- Russia's Air Force is planning to increase in the near future the number of combat aircraft and personnel deployed at the Kant air base in Kyrgyzstan, the Air Force commander said on Wednesday.
- Russia: Medvedev's 'Liberal' Views Up For Inspection In Berlin RFE/RL 04 Jun 2008 -- Dmitry Medvedev's first visit to the West since his inauguration as president in May will last barely eight hours.
- Russia's Air Force chief checks air defenses in Siberia, Far East RIA Novosti 04 Jun 2008 -- Russia's Air Force chief will visit on June 4-6 two combined Air Force and air defense armies in Siberia and the Far East, to inspect combat readiness ahead of summer training, the AF said on Wednesday.
- New chief of staff to revive Russia's ailing military - expert RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2008 -- Gen. Nikolai Makarov's appointment as chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces suggests higher priority will be given to modernizing the military, a top Russian military expert said on Tuesday.
- Deputy Defense Minister Makarov appointed chief of General Staff RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2008 -- Deputy Defense Minister Gen. Nikolai Makarov has been appointed chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, the Russian president said on Tuesday.
- Russia destroys over 25% of its chemical weapons RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2008 -- Russia has destroyed over 25% of its chemical weapons arsenal, or 10,500 metric tons, a senior military official said on Tuesday.
- Russian Navy ready to head for Somalia - Dygalo RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2008 -- If a decision is made, Russian naval ships are ready to head for the Somali coast where pirates recently seized a Dutch ship, an aide to the Russian Navy commander said Tuesday.
- Russia defends move to send railroad troops to Abkhazia RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2008 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday the country's railroad troops repairing track in a Georgian rebel region are working in strict compliance with bilateral agreements.
- Russia to test aircraft carrier for India's navy in 2011 RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2008 -- The Russian Sevmash shipyard said on Tuesday it planned to test an aircraft carrier currently being modernized for the Indian navy in 2011.
- Russia delivers two Su-30 fighters to Algeria RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2008 -- Russia's Irkut corporation, the manufacturer of the famed family of Su fighter planes, said on Monday it had delivered another two Su-30MKA Flanker multi-role fighters to Algeria.
- Russian Air Force to hold over 200 exercises in 2nd half of 2008 RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2008 -- Russia's Air Force is planning to conduct over 200 exercises with 350 live firing drills in the second half of 2008, an AF spokesman said on Monday.
- Russia delivers three shipments of nuclear fuel to Indian NPP RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2008 -- Russia has supplied the first three batches of nuclear fuel for India's Kudankulam nuclear power plant, the state nuclear corporation, Atomenergoprom, said on Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list