Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2008 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Putin signs decree to set up rocket-and-space research center RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2008 -- President Putin has signed a decree establishing a federal government-sponsored Rocket and Space Industry Research and Test Center, the Kremlin press service said on Friday.
- Russia's MiG hands 12 upgraded fighters over to Slovakia RIA Novosti 29 Feb 2008 -- Russia's MiG aircraft manufacturer transferred on Friday 12 MiG-29 Fulcrum fighters, modernized in line with NATO standards, to the Slovak Air Force.
- Russia: From Humble Beginnings, Medvedev Rises To Presidency RFE/RL 29 Feb 2008
- Russia: The Kremlin's Evolving Foreign-Policy Stance RFE/RL 29 Feb 2008 -- As Russia's presidential transition proceeds and it becomes increasingly clear the First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev will succeed President Vladimir Putin in the Kremlin, there has been considerable speculation about the future direction of Moscow's foreign policies
- Analysis: Russia's Economic Pipeline cfr.org 29 Feb 2008 -- Russia's presumptive next president, Dmitri Medvedev, is a businessman. Before entering politics, Medvedev worked at a timber company, then sat on the board of a major Russian paper producer
- Russian Presidential Candidate Medvedev Not a Professional Politician VOA 28 Feb 2008 -- Russians are preparing to go to the polls Sunday to elect their next president
- Russia: Political System Could Drag Economy Down RFE/RL 28 Feb 2008 -- President Vladimir Putin's two terms produced consistent, impressive economic growth. Putin leaves the presidency with the country's coffers filled, its debts paid down, and investment rising.
- Russia: Oil Wealth Trickling Down -- But Not Far Enough RFE/RL 28 Feb 2008 -- Like every evening, Igor Bokov and his family gather around the broad kitchen table to share dinner and talk about their day.
- India, Russia to finalize aircraft carrier retrofit costs by April RIA Novosti 28 Feb 2008 -- Russia and India have agreed to increase refit costs for the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier, the Indian defense secretary said on Thursday.
- Russian UN Envoy: Moscow Could Back New Sanctions Against Iran VOA 27 Feb 2008 -- Russia's envoy to the United Nations says Moscow could support new international sanctions against Iran if Tehran does not stop its uranium enrichment activities within days.
- Russia to deploy 11 new Topol-M ICBMs in 2008 RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2008 -- Russia's Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) will deploy 11 new silo and mobile-launched Topol-M intercontinental ballistic missiles in 2008, the SMF commander said on Wednesday.
- Russia's RS-24 ICBM to enter service in 2009 - SMF commander RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2008 -- A new intercontinental ballistic missile with multiple warheads is due to enter service with Russia's Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) next year, the SMF commander said on Wednesday.
- Russian soldiers set to eat 'buffet' style RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2008 -- The Russian Army is set to trial a new 'buffet' style system with personnel serving themselves in mess halls, a military official said on Wednesday.
- No Contest in Russian Presidential Election VOA 27 Feb 2008 -- Russians go to the polls on Sunday for a presidential election in which the victory of Kremlin-backed candidate Dmitri Medvedev is considered a foregone conclusion
- Sestanovich: Behind the Scenes 'Warfare' As Russia Awaits Putin Successor cfr.org 26 Feb 2008
- Russia: Medvedev Helps The Bureaucrats Help Medvedev RFE/RL 26 Feb 2008 -- The Kremlin rarely makes concessions, particularly if no one in a position of strength is asking for them
- Russia to cooperate with any new U.S. administration - Medvedev RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2008 -- Russia will work with any new U.S. administration formed after presidential elections in November, a Russian first deputy prime minister and the man favorite to succeed President Putin said on Tuesday.
- Russian defense spending to grow 20% in 2008, to $40 bln RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2008 -- Russia's Defense Ministry will spend around one trillion rubles ($40 bln) of federal budget funds in 2008, 20% more than in 2007, a ministry official said on Tuesday.
- Russia: Crumbling Military Puts Kremlin On The Defensive RFE/RL 25 Feb 2008
- Russia: Likely Kremlin Heir Visits Serbia Amid Conflict With West RFE/RL 25 Feb 2008 -- First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, who is widely expected to win the March 2 presidential election, has arrived in Belgrade, where he pledged Moscow's continued backing for Serbia's opposition to Kosovo's independence.
- Russia abides by international law in its support for Serbia - FM RIA Novosti 25 Feb 2008 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Monday that Russia acted in line with international laws by supporting Serbia's efforts to regain its territorial integrity.
- Russia will not change its stance on Kosovo - Medvedev RIA Novosti 25 Feb 2008 -- First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev reaffirmed on Monday that Russia will maintain a firm stand on territorial integrity of Serbia.
- Russia's Deputy PM Pledges Support to Serbia on Kosovo VOA 25 Feb 2008 -- Russia's Deputy Prime Minister Dmitri Medvedev has told Serbian leaders there will be no shift in his country's support for Serb sovereignty over Kosovo.
- Russia slams as cynical U.S. position on Kosovo RIA Novosti 24 Feb 2008 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry on Sunday slammed as cynical the U.S. position on Kosovo, which unilaterally declared its independence from Serbia.
- China copies Su-27 fighter, may compete with Russia - paper RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2008 -- China has built a domestic copy of the famed Su-27 Flanker fighter and may compete with Russia on third-party markets if it sets up the full-scale production of the plane, a Russian daily said on Thursday.
- Last poll predicts Medvedev will get 73% in presidential vote RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2008 -- Russia's final pre-election opinion poll has shown that Kremlin front-runner Dmitry Medvedev enjoys the support of 72.9% of voters, the state-run VTsIOM pollster said on Thursday.
- Norway to offer Russia $2.4 mln to upgrade nuclear storage facility RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2008 -- Norway is to provide 58 million rubles ($2.4 million) for the overhaul of a nuclear waste storage facility in northern Russia, a spokesman for the Murmansk Region governor said on Thursday.
- Russian defense ministry confirms death of Gen. Vlasov RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2008 -- Russia's Defense Ministry has officially confirmed the death of Col.-Gen. Viktor Vlasov, the acting head of the ministry's quartermaster service, a spokesman for the ministry said on Thursday.
- Russian-Indian nuclear deal ready for signing IRNA 21 Feb 2008 -- A civil nuclear cooperation deal between Russia and India has been drawn up and could be signed in the nearest future, a Russian Foreign Ministry official said on Thursday.
- Belarus plans to buy Russian S-400 air defense systems RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2008 -- Belarus is negotiating the purchase of advanced S-400 air defense systems from Russia, the country's defense minister said on Thursday.
- Putin demands more aircraft for Russian Air Force RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2008 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin demanded on Wednesday that the state program for arms procurement be adjusted to increase the number of modern combat aircraft for the Air Force.
- Russian Air Force to receive new Su-35 fighters by 2011 RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2008 -- The new Su-35 Flanker-E multi-role fighter will be put into service with the Russian Air Force in two-three years, the head of the Sukhoi aircraft manufacturer said on Wednesday.
- Russia to enjoy priority in Iranian nuclear power plant tenders RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2008 -- Russia will have priority in future tenders for the construction of new nuclear power plants in the Islamic Republic, an Iranian official said on Wednesday.
- Russia says independence for Kosovo undermines international law RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2008 -- Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence will destroy the entire system of international law and cause a chain reaction of similar moves, a Russian first deputy prime minister said on Tuesday.
- Kosovo will not affect Russia's peacekeeping operations RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2008 -- Kosovo's declaration of independence on Sunday will not affect Russian peacekeepers in Georgia's breakaway republics of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, the chief of the General Staff said on Tuesday.
- Russia says EU mission in Kosovo violates UN resolution 1244 RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2008 -- The deployment of a EU mission to Kosovo without the permission of the UN Security Council violates UN resolution 1244, Russia's envoy to the UN said on Tuesday.
- Defexpo-2008 broadens military ties with India - ambassador RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2008 -- Russia's ambassador to India said Tuesday that the Defexpo 2008 exhibition is a good opportunity for Russia to broaden its military and technical cooperation with India and Asia Pacific countries.
- Russia set to destroy chemical weapons by 2012 RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2008 -- Russia should be able to destroy all its stockpiles of chemical weapons by 2012, a first deputy prime minister said on Tuesday.
- Algeria to return 15 MiG aircraft to Russia over inferior quality RIA Novosti 18 Feb 2008 -- In an unprecedented move, Algeria is to return to Russia 15 MiG aircraft delivered in 2006-07, a Russian business daily said on Monday.
- Opinion poll gives Medvedev huge lead in presidential race RIA Novosti 18 Feb 2008 -- An opinion poll has indicated that 69.9% of voters intend to cast their ballot for Kremlin-backed Dmitry Medvedev in Russia's March 2 presidential elections, the state-run VTsIOM pollster said on Monday.
- Wrap - Kosovo declares independence, protests from Serbia, Russia RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2008 -- Belgrade and Moscow reacted angrily to Kosovo's Western-backed unilateral declaration of independence on Sunday as the region remained braced for clashes between Serbs and ethnic Albanians.
- Russia, Ukraine to revive An-70 joint project - defense minister RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2008 -- Russia will resume a joint project with Ukraine to build An-70 military transport aircraft after an almost 2-year delay in setting up the program, the Ukrainian defense minister said on Friday.
- Russia tracks rogue U.S. satellite containing nuclear material RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2008 -- Russia's Defense Ministry is closely monitoring a U.S. spy satellite that has gone out of control and may have nuclear material on board, a high-ranking defense source said on Friday.
- Russian parliament could approve 7-year presidential term - paper RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2008 -- Russia's parliament may pass a bill this year to extend the presidential term from the current four to six or seven years, a respected daily said on Friday.
- Russian Armed Forces more mobile, combat ready - Putin RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2008 -- Russia's Armed Forces have become more mobile and combat ready in recent years, President Vladimir Putin said Friday.
- Russia, Iran to draw up nuclear power plant operation plan by May RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2008 -- Russia and Iran will work out a plan for a joint venture to operate the Bushehr nuclear power plant in southern Iran within the next two months, a senior Atomstroyexport executive said on Friday.
- Putin says Russia backs U.S. peace efforts in Mideast RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2008 -- Russia backs Washington's moves to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday.
- Russia seeks to prove it has right to part of Arctic shelf RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2008 -- Russia's Arctic research is aiming to secure the country's right to a piece of the Arctic shelf, Vladimir Putin said on Thursday at his last annual news conference as Russian president.
- Russia: Putin Gives Final Annual News Conference RFE/RL 14 Feb 2008 -- President Vladimir Putin today delivered his annual Kremlin conference to more than 1,330 Russian and foreign journalists.
- Russia, Iran may set up JV to operate Bushehr NPP in 3 months RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2008 -- Russia and Iran could set up a joint venture to operate the Bushehr nuclear power plant in southern Iran in three months, the chief executive of Atomstroyexport said Thursday.
- Russian Air Force starts drills in 'northern latitudes' RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2008 -- Russia's Air Force announced on Wednesday the launch of a tactical exercise involving long-range aviation in "northern latitudes" to rehearse interoperability in air patrol missions.
- Russian president to attend Russia-NATO Council summit RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2008 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin will attend a Russia-NATO Council summit scheduled for early April, Russia's foreign minister said on Tuesday.
- Russia expresses surprise over reports of bombers' interception RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2008 -- Russia is surprised by the commotion raised in Western media reports over a recent incident involving Russian bombers in the Pacific Ocean, an aide to the Russian Air Force commander said on Tuesday.
- Russian bombers 'intercepted near U.S. aircraft carrier' RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2008 -- Russian bombers were intercepted on Saturday flying low over an American aircraft carrier in the West Pacific near Japan, Western media reported on Tuesday citing an anonymous U.S. military official.
- Russian Jet Buzzes Nimitz, Incident Raises Concern AFPS 12 Feb 2008 -- A weekend incident in which a Russian bomber "buzzed" the Nimitz battle group in the Pacific raises concerns about Russia's intent and the message it was meant to send, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told Congress today.
- Russia Warns of New Arms Race in Outer Space VOA 12 Feb 2008 -- Russia is warning of a new arms race if a treaty banning the deployment of weapons in outer space is not achieved
- Russia can offer low-cost response to U.S. missile system RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2008 -- Russia possesses the relatively inexpensive technical capability to offer an appropriate response to U.S. missile defense deployment in Europe, the foreign minister told a news conference in Geneva on Tuesday.
- Russia says space disarmament plans with China cover all weapons RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2008 -- A Sino-Russian proposal for an international treaty to ban the deployment of weapons in space applies to all weapons, not only nuclear ones, Russia's foreign minister said on Tuesday.
- Russia's Putin approves extending service life for ICBMs RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2008 -- President Vladimir Putin ratified a Russian-Ukrainian agreement to extend the service life of RS-20 (SS-18 Satan) intercontinental ballistic missiles, the Kremlin press office said on Tuesday.
- Russia, India initial deal to build 4 more reactors for NPP RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2008 -- Russia and India initialed an agreement Tuesday to construct another four reactors for the Kudankulam nuclear power plant in southern India, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Zhukov said.
- Russia: RFE/RL Poll Shows Voters Approaching Election With Mix Of Hope, Cynicism RFE/RL 11 Feb 2008 -- It's all a mirage. Russian voters are not really picking the next president
- Russia Writes Off $12 Billion Iraqi Debt VOA 11 Feb 2008 -- Russia has agreed to write off most of Iraq's multi-billion-dollar debt as Moscow expresses hope for increased economic relations between the two countries
- Russia to showcase new weapons at Defexpo India-2008 RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2008 -- Russia plans to showcase its range of new small arms and light weapons (SALW) at an International arms exhibition in India, defense industry officials said on Monday.
- Moscow to present Sino-Russian space arms race control initiative RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2008 -- Russia will submit to a UN disarmament conference a joint Sino-Russian proposal for an international treaty to ban the deployment of weapons in outer space.
- Russian Air Force to have new test site in North Caucasus RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2008 -- Russia will build a new Air Force training ground in the North Caucasus, set to be the country's largest, the Defense Ministry said on Monday.
- Russia writes off 93% of Iraq's multi-billion dollar debt RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2008 -- Moscow has cancelled $12 billion of Iraq's debt, or 93% of the total sum owed by the Middle East state, Russian Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin said on Monday.
- Ivanov Uses Conciliatory Tone At Munich Conference RFE/RL 10 Feb 2008 -- A major annual gathering of the world's top defense and security officials continued in Munich today, with Russian First Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov seeking to allay fears that Russia is a threat
- Gates Discusses Missile Issues With Russian Official AFPS 09 Feb 2008 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates discussed ballistic missile defense issues with Sergey B. Ivanov, Russia's deputy prime minister, here today.
- Russia to respond effectively to U.S. missile shield - Ivanov RIA Novosti 10 Feb 2008 -- Russia will respond effectively and at a lower cost to the deployment of a U.S. missile defense shield in Europe, Russian First Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said on Sunday.
- Russia to safeguard its interests outside military blocs - Ivanov RIA Novosti 10 Feb 2008 -- Russia will safeguard its national interests without creating any military blocs, Russian First Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said on Sunday.
- Russia warns NATO missile defense plans could harm relations RIA Novosti 08 Feb 2008 -- NATO's plans to integrate U.S. missile defense elements into a North Atlantic security system would harm relations with Moscow, Russia's first deputy defense minister said on Friday.
- Russia: 'Putin's Will' Includes Praise For Accomplishments, Harsh Words For West RFE/RL 08 Feb 2008 -- Three weeks ahead of a presidential election to elect his successor, Russian President Vladimir Putin has addressed the country's top officials to outline his vision for Russia through the year 2020.
- Russia: Medvedev No Democratic Alternative RFE/RL 08 Feb 2008 -- It isn't hard to find examples of Russian First Deputy Prime Minister and all-but-certain presidential successor Dmitry Medvedev making sweeping affirmations of liberal values.
- Putin says Russia won't be drawn into new arms race RIA Novosti 08 Feb 2008 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Friday that a new arms race had begun, but that Russia would not allow itself to be drawn into it.
- India, Russia did not sign Nuke pact due to France IRNA 08 Feb 2008 -- The agreement for four additional reactors to be built by Russia in Tamil Nadu was not signed during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visit to Moscow in November last because India did not want to antagonise France, a senior Russian official suggested on Friday.
- Moscow to deploy S-400 air defense systems in northwest Russia RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2008 -- Advanced S-400 anti-aircraft / anti-missile systems will be deployed in northwest Russia in the near future, an army commander said on Thursday.
- Russia: OSCE Election Monitor Cancels Plans To Monitor Vote RFE/RL 07 Feb 2008 -- Citing what it described as unacceptable restrictions from Moscow, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe's (OSCE) main election watchdog has canceled plans to monitor Russia's upcoming presidential vote.
- Russia says OSCE sought to boycott presidential polls from start RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2008 -- The OSCE's election monitoring body deliberately set out to boycott Russia's March 2 presidential elections, the Foreign Ministry's spokesman said on Thursday.
- Russia's first weather satellite to be launched in Jul.-Sep. RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2008 -- Russia's first weather satellite, Meteor-M1, will be orbited in the third quarter of this year, a space agency official said on Wednesday.
- Russia: OSCE Rejects New Offer For Monitoring Presidential Poll RFE/RL 06 Feb 2008 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) has rejected what Russia describes as new concessions in the quarrel over conditions for monitoring Russia's presidential poll.
- Russia, Armenia sign uranium production, enrichment deals RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2008 -- Armenia signed an agreement to join an international uranium enrichment center in Siberia during a visit to the Caucasus state by the Russian premier on Wednesday.
- Russia, Venezuela may sign $1.4 bln contract for three subs in April RIA Novosti 05 Feb 2008 -- Russia and Venezuela are at the final stage of talks on a deal to sell three Kilo-Class Project 636 submarines to Venezuela's Navy, which could be clinched in April, Vedomosti business daily said Tuesday.
- Russia ends counter-terrorist operation in Ingushetia RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2008 -- A counter-terrorist operation launched in the Republic of Ingushetia January 25 due to the threat of an imminent large-scale terrorist attack has been terminated, the operation's headquarters said Sunday.
- Russia to build up presence in global ocean - navy commander RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2008 -- Russia will build up its presence in the strategic areas of the World Ocean, the Russian navy commander said on Sunday.
- Putin visits military unit in troubled Caucasus region RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2008 -- Russia's president visited on Monday a military unit in the southern republic of Daghestan, several of whose provinces suffered militant incursions from neighboring Chechnya in 1999.
- U.S. missile defense cannot affect Russia nuclear capability-Rice RIA Novosti 02 Feb 2008 -- The U.S. missile defense system in Europe is meant to deal with limited threats and cannot degrade the thousands of nuclear warheads Russia has, the U.S. secretary of state said.
- Race For Kremlin Officially Starts RFE/RL 02 Feb 2008 -- Campaigning for Russia's presidential election officially starts today
- Russia kicks off presidential campaign RIA Novosti 02 Feb 2008 -- A one-month-long media campaign for Russia's presidential election has been launched ahead of the March 2 poll.
- Russia, U.S. sign $5 bln uranium sales deal RIA Novosti 02 Feb 2008 -- Russia and the United States have signed a trade deal allowing Russia to boost enriched uranium exports to the U.S., Russian state nuclear agency Rosatom said Saturday.
- Iran says still negotiating purchase of Russia's S-300 systems RIA Novosti 01 Feb 2008 -- A non-official Iranian news agency quoted a top diplomat as saying on Friday that Iran is still in talks with Russia on buying advanced S-300 air defense systems, despite an earlier denial from Moscow.
- Russia: Dispute Over OSCE Election Monitors Flares Up Again RFE/RL 01 Feb 2008 -- Russia's upcoming presidential polls are rekindling the ongoing dispute between Moscow and the election-monitoring body of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
- Russia accuses OSCE of sabotaging March elections RIA Novosti 01 Feb 2008 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry accused the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe of trying to sabotage the monitoring of Russia's presidential elections scheduled for March 2.
- Trainer aircraft crashes in south Russia, second this week RIA Novosti 01 Feb 2008 -- A light plane crashed in southern Russia on Friday, an Air Force spokesman said.
- Thirty Russian aircraft take part in exercises over two oceans RIA Novosti 01 Feb 2008 -- Over 30 Russian strategic bombers and long-range interceptors are participating in joint exercises with a naval task group in the Atlantic and Arctic, an Air Force spokesman said on Friday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list