Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2021 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Four nations deter and respond together on the high seas Australia DOD 31 Jul 2021 -- Australia, Canada, Japan and the Republic of Korea have united beyond the shared colours of their collective national flags during Exercise Talisman Sabre 21 (TS21).
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Phone Call With Republic of Korea Minister of Defense Suh Wook DoD 30 Jul 2021
- Seoul Reportedly Plans to Use Restored Hotline to Open Online Dialogue With Pyongyang Sputnik 29 Jul 2021 -- Seoul is planning to use the restored communication line with Pyongyang to organize virtual inter-Korean dialogue during the global pandemic, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported on Thursday, citing a unification ministry official.
- North Korea Watchers Parse Motives Behind Restored Hotline with Seoul Radio Free Asia 28 Jul 2021 -- North and South Korea have restored an inter-Korean hotline cut off last year by Pyongyang amid deteriorated relations, in a move that experts called a positive step, but warned against overinterpreting its significance.
- South Korea Registers Highest-Ever Daily Rise in COVID-19 Cases Sputnik 28 Jul 2021 -- South Korea has recorded its highest-ever daily rise in COVID-19 cases for the past day, the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) said in a statement.
- North, South Korea in talks over reopening liaison office, holding summit Press TV 28 Jul 2021 -- North and South Korea are set to reopen a joint liaison office and hold a summit as part of efforts to restore inter-Korean relations, three South Korean officials have said.
- North, South Korea restore severed hotline Press TV 27 Jul 2021 -- North and South Korea have announced the restoration of cross-border communications, which had been severed amid rising tensions more than a year ago.
- Defence Secretary reaffirms UK commitment to Indo-Pacific UK MOD 23 Jul 2021 -- Defence Secretary, Ben Wallace MP, has visited Japan, the Republic of Korea and Vietnam on a trip to reaffirm the UK's commitment to the Indo-Pacific.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with Republic of Korea First Vice Foreign Minister Choi US Dept. of State 23 Jul 2021
- NATO welcomes stronger cooperation with the Republic of Korea NATO 22 Jul 2021 -- NATO officials welcomed Mr. Kyung-Hyup Kim, Chairman of the Intelligence Committee of the National Assembly of the Republic of Korea, to NATO Headquarters on Thursday (22 July 2021) for talks on common security challenges and NATO's partnership with Seoul.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with Republic of Korea Foreign Minister Chung US Dept. of State 22 Jul 2021
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with Republic of Korea President Moon US Dept. of State 22 Jul 2021
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with Republic of Korea Minister of Unification Lee and Republic of Korea Vice Minister of Unification Choi US Dept. of State 22 Jul 2021
- Wendy Sherman: US, Japan, South Korea stand 'shoulder-to-shoulder' against North Press TV 21 Jul 2021 -- US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman says the United States, Japan and South Korea stand "shoulder-to-shoulder" when it comes to North Korea, despite recent friction in relations between the two Koreas.
- Rouhani urges South Korea to settle banking problems, release Iran's frozen assets Press TV 20 Jul 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the US sanctions have caused problems in ties with South Korea in financial and banking sectors, urging Seoul to make efforts to solve the issue at the earliest and allow Tehran access to its frozen assets there.
- UK Carrier Strike Group to exercise with Indo-Pacific partners UK MOD 19 Jul 2021 -- The Strike Group will undertake a series of exercises with forces from the US, Australia, France, Japan, New Zealand and Korea in the Philippine Sea in August.
- S. Korea Sends Plane to Bring Home Anti-Piracy Personnel Infected With COVID Off Africa Sputnik 18 Jul 2021 -- South Korea's government sent a plane to its anti-piracy naval unit in the Gulf of Eden near Somalia to bring back home all personnel, many of which have contracted COVID-19, Yonhap News Agency reported.
- Navies showcase combined capability Australia DOD 12 Jul 2021 -- Warships from Australia, Japan, South Korea and the US successfully completed Exercise Pacific Vanguard on July 9, the first time the annual quadrilateral event had been held in Australian waters.
- U.S., Allied Forces Conduct Exercise Pacific Vanguard 2021 Off Coast of Australia US Navy 09 Jul 2021 -- Maritime forces from Australia, Japan, Republic of Korea, and the United States met in the waters off the eastern coast of Australia to conduct cooperative maritime exercise Pacific Vanguard (PACVAN) 2021 beginning July 5.
- South Korea on Verge of Major Lockdown, Amid Infection Spikes VOA 08 Jul 2021 -- South Korea's capital is on the verge of perhaps its most intense lockdown yet, after the country reported its largest daily surge of coronavirus cases.
- South Korean Spies Suggest Kim Jong-un in Good Health Despite Heavy Weight Loss Sputnik 08 Jul 2021 -- South Korea's National Intelligence Service (NIS) has revealed that the leader of its northern neighbour, Kim Jong-un, has no health problems despite losing 10-20 kilograms (22-44 pounds) over the past few months, the Yonhap news agency reported on Thursday, citing an official.
- Peacekeeping in Korea continues Australia DOD 05 Jul 2021 -- Australia's Operation Linesmen contingent assisting Headquarters, United Nations Command and the UN Command Military Armistice Commission (UNCMAC) continues to build trust and rapport with its Korean counterparts.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list