Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2021 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- S.Korea to extend tightened quarantine measures for 3 weeks People's Daily 30 Apr 2021 -- South Korea decided Friday to extend its tightened quarantine measures for three more weeks amid lingering worry about small cluster infections of COVID-19 in the Seoul metropolitan area.
- Statement by White House Spokesperson Jen Psaki on the Visit of President Moon Jae-in of the Republic of Korea The White House 29 Apr 2021
- S. Korea prioritizes securing COVID-19 vaccines for economic recovery: acting PM People's Daily 29 Apr 2021 -- South Korea prioritized securing COVID-19 vaccines for a continued economic recovery, after announcing the first-quarter data on gross domestic product (GDP) that restored a pre-pandemic level, Minister of Economy and Finance Hong Nam-ki who serves as the acting prime minister said on Wednesday.
- S.Korean president calls for int'l solidarity to overcome COVID-19 pandemic People's Daily 27 Apr 2021 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Monday called for international solidarity and cooperation to overcome the COVID-19 pandemic amid sharp rise in the number of cases in some of the countries to "save their own skin."
- S. Korea strongly protests against Japan's renewed territorial claims to islets People's Daily 27 Apr 2021 -- South Korea lodged a strong protest Tuesday against Japan's renewed territorial claims to the Dokdo islets, called Takeshima by Japan lying halfway between the two countries.
- South Korea Records 644 New Covid-19 Infections SPA 25 Apr 2021 -- South Korea recorded 644 confirmed cases of Coronavirus (Covid 19) in the past 24 hours, along with one death.
- S. Korea Secures Additional Pfizer Vaccines for 20 Mln People SPA 25 Apr 2021 -- South Korea said Saturday it has signed a deal with U.S. pharmaceutical giant Pfizer Inc. to import additional Pfizer vaccine doses for 20 million people, Yonhap reported.
- S. Korea Records New COVID-19 Infections Nearing 800 SPA 24 Apr 2021 -- South Korea's daily new virus cases neared 800 on Friday as growing untraceable cases, coupled with cluster infections, continued to hamper the country's virus fight against the pandemic, Yonhap reported.
- South Korean president urges US's Biden to engage directly with North Korea's Kim Press TV 22 Apr 2021 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has urged his American counterpart, Joe Biden, to initiate a new round of diplomacy with North Korea over its nuclear program, following unsuccessful engagement between Pyongyang and the former US administration that Seoul had brokered.
- Iran pays $30m from money blocked in S Korea to buy COVID-19 vaccine IRNA 21 Apr 2021 -- The head of the Iran-South Korea Joint Chamber of Commerce told IRNA on Wednesday that 30 million dollars from Iran's approximately seven billion dollars blocked in South Korea has been paid to purchase the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Seoul Considers Using Russian COVID-19 Vaccine Sputnik V Sputnik 21 Apr 2021 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in instructed his aides to examine the possibility of using the Russian vaccine against COVID-19 Sputnik V in the country, Yonhap news agency reported on Wednesday, citing a source in the presidency.
- South Korea releases $30 mln of Iranian funds for vaccine, drug purchases: Businessman Press TV 21 Apr 2021 -- A senior Iranian businessman says South Korean financial authorities have accommodated the release a tiny portion of Iranian funds that have been blocked in the country over alleged concerns about US sanctions.
- S. Korea looks to build light aircraft carrier by 2033 to protect maritime sovereignty and security ARIRANG 21 Apr 2021 -- South Korea is looking to build a light aircraft carrier by the year 2033 to defend its maritime sovereignty and protect national interests.
- South Korean Company to Begin Producing Russia's Sputnik V in May, Reports Say Sputnik 20 Apr 2021 -- Hankook Korus Pharm, a subsidiary of South Korean biotech firm GL Rapha, will start manufacturing Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine in May, the Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday, citing industry sources.
- S.Korea reports 549 more COVID-19 cases, 115,195 in total People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 549 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Monday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 115,195.
- South Korea Confirms 70 More Cases of COVID-19 Variants SPA 19 Apr 2021 -- South Korea has confirmed 70 more cases of contagious variants of the new coronavirus, bringing the total to 449, according to health authorities Monday, amid concerns that the country's virus battle may be exacerbated by the more transmissible viruses, Yonhap News Agency reported.
- S. Korea Records 600s New Virus Cases for 2nd Day, Virus Battle at Inflection Point SPA 17 Apr 2021 -- South Korea's daily new coronavirus cases stayed in the 600s for the second straight day Friday as the country's virus fight is at a critical juncture of bracing for another wave of the pandemic, Yonhap reported.
- South Korea records 731 new Coronavirus cases SPA 14 Apr 2021 -- South Korea recorded 731 new cases of the emerging Coronavirus, and 7 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- South Korean PM says Iran's frozen money should be quickly released Press TV 13 Apr 2021 -- South Korea's Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun has affirmed that the country should "quickly" return billions of dollars of frozen money to Iran as tensions between the two countries ease.
- S. Korea reports 587 more COVID-19 cases, 110,146 in total People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 587 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Sunday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 110,146.
- South Korea must take practical, immediate action to unfreeze Iran assets: Parliament speaker Press TV 12 Apr 2021 -- Iran's Parliament speaker says South Korea must take practical and immediate measures to solve the existing problem related to Tehran's frozen assets in that country and release the Islamic Republic's blocked money.
- PM: unfreezing Iran's frozen funds to benefit S Korea IRNA 12 Apr 2021 -- South Korean Prime Minister Chung Sye-Kyun on Monday said that unfreezing Iran's frozen funds will benefit South Korea.
- US and South Korea Reportedly Believe Pyongyang Soon to Launch Its First Ballistic Missile Submarine Sputnik 11 Apr 2021 -- South Korean and US intelligence suspect that North Korea has completed the assembly of a 3,000-tonne submarine and is ready to launch it when the time is right, the state Yonhap News Agency reported on Sunday.
- South Korea Reports 677 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 10 Apr 2021 -- South Korea's daily new Coronavirus cases stayed in the high 600s for the second straight day Saturday.
- S. Korea to deploy 120 KF-21 fighter jets by 2032: Moon ARIRANG 09 Apr 2021 -- South Korea plans to deploy 120 homegrown fighter jets by the year 2032. President Moon Jae-in announced the plan Friday during a rollout ceremony for the prototype of its first indigenous fighter jet, the KF-21.
- Photos: South Korea Unveils First New KF-21 'Boramae' Stealth Fighter Sputnik 09 Apr 2021 -- A mixture of high cost and low reliability have led a number of nations to seek their own indigenous alternatives to the US' F-35 stealth fighter, including US partners like South Korea and Japan that have also agreed to buy some of the jets.
- Iran releases South Korean ship considering backgrounds: FM spox IRNA 09 Apr 2021 -- Iran's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has announced that the Islamic Republic released a South Korean oil tanker following an investigation, which led to a decision that the ship and its captain have not had bad record.
- Iranian prosecutor ordered release of South Korean oil tanker, captain Press TV 09 Apr 2021 -- Iran has released a South Korean oil tanker, the Iranian Foreign Ministry says, more than three months after the ship was detained for environmental pollution.
- Iran Releases South Korean Tanker Seized Amid Suspected Dispute Over Frozen Funds RFE/RL 09 Apr 2021 -- Iran has released a South Korean oil tanker it seized three months ago amid a dispute over billions of dollars in funds frozen due to U.S. sanctions.
- South Korea Reports 700 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 08 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 700 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- South Korea, US formally sign cost-sharing deal on American military presence Press TV 08 Apr 2021 -- The United States and South Korea have officially signed a cost-sharing agreement to maintain the presence of American troops in the East Asian country.
- South Korea Reports 668 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 07 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 668 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- South Korea Reports 478 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 06 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 478 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- Indonesian Defense Chief to Attend Friday 'Roll Out' of South Korean F-35 Competitor KF-X Sputnik 06 Apr 2021 -- Indonesia has pushed to buy stealthy F-35 fighters from the US, which has so far only offered fourth-generation jets. However, Jakarta has proven less-than-picky about who it buys aircraft from, and its joint project with South Korea to build their own F-35 alternative could soon come to fruition.
- South Korea Reports 473 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 05 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 473 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- South Korea Reports 543 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 04 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 543 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- Chinese FM holds talks with ROK counterpart People's Daily 04 Apr 2021 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Saturday held talks with his counterpart from the Republic of Korea (ROK) Chung Eui-yong in Xiamen, east China's Fujian Province.
- South Korea Reports 543 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 03 Apr 2021 -- South Korea's daily new Coronavirus cases surpassed 500 for the fourth day in a row on Saturday.
- S. Korea reports 558 more COVID-19 cases, 104,194 in total People's Daily 02 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 558 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Thursday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 104,194.
- United States-Japan-Republic of Korea Trilateral National Security Advisors' Press Statement The White House 02 Apr 2021
- US, Japan, South Korea Vow to Continue Cooperation to Denuclearize North Korea Sputnik 02 Apr 2021 -- The national security advisors from the United States, Japan and South Korea have agreed to continue trilateral cooperation to denuclearize North Korea, the three officials said in a joint statement provided by the White House.
- Background Press Call on the Upcoming Trilateral Meeting with Japan and the Republic of Korea The White House 01 Apr 2021
- S. Korea reports 551 more COVID-19 cases, 103,639 in total People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 551 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Wednesday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 103,639.
- North Korea Tops Agenda for US-Japan-South Korea Meeting VOA 01 Apr 2021 -- "Every aspect of North Korea policy" will be discussed when national security advisers from the United States, South Korea and Japan meet on Friday, according to a senior administration official in Washington.
- US Approach Toward North Korea Must Be in Lockstep With Allies, State Dept Says Sputnik 01 Apr 2021 -- The United States' approach on North Korea must be done in coordination with its allies, State Department spokesperson Ned Price said on Thursday ahead of the high-level trilateral meeting with Japan and South Korea.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list