Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2020 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Chongqing launches COVID-19 testing, tracing after outbound traveler tests positive in ROK People's Daily 29 Nov 2020 -- Southwest China's Chongqing Municipality has launched large-scale COVID-19 nucleic acid testing, tracing and disinfection after an outbound traveler was diagnosed as an asymptomatic coronavirus case upon arriving in the Republic of Korea (ROK), the local health commission said on Sunday.
- Update: S.Korean employee in Chongqing tests COVID-19 positive after travelling abroad Global Times 29 Nov 2020 -- A South Korean citizen who works in Southwest China's Chongqing Municipality was confirmed as an asymptomatic COVID-19 case on Saturday, when he arrived at Incheon International Airport in South Korea.
- S. Korea to Develop Big Data Collection and Analysis System for Military Logistics by 2025 SPA 29 Nov 2020 -- S. Korea plans to develop a "big data" collection and analysis system to more efficiently take advantage of diverse and scattered data so as to make better policy for military operations and troops, Yonhap cited the defense ministry in Seoul as reporting.
- South Korea Reports 504 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 28 Nov 2020 -- The daily number of new Coronavirus cases in South Korea exceeded 500 for the third straight day on Saturday, Yonhap News Agency reported.
- S. Korea PM Warns of Full-Fledged Virus Resurgence As Daily Cases Exceed 500 SPA 27 Nov 2020 -- S. Korean Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said today, on Friday that South Korea has confirmed more than 500 COVID-19 infections for the second consecutive day and warned that the virus appears to be spreading again in earnest nationwide, Yonhap reported.
- South Korea Reports 569 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 27 Nov 2020 -- The daily number of novel Coronavirus cases in South Korea exceeded 500 for the second straight day on Friday, Yonhap News Agency reported.
- 'Fast track' to be strictly managed not suspended amid Japan and South Korea's new surge Global Times 27 Nov 2020 -- The "fast track" between China, South Korea and Japan might be affected due to the surging epidemic in these two countries. With more sources and chains of coronavirus from abroad being found in China, experts believe that anti-pandemic measures will be prioritized in these countries and stricter measures will be applied.
- S.Korea reports 382 more COVID-19 cases, 31,735 in total People's Daily 25 Nov 2020 -- South Korea reported 382 more cases of COVID-19 as of 0:00 a.m. Wednesday local time compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 31,735.
- S. Korea's childbirth hits record-low in Q3 over COVID-19 People's Daily 25 Nov 2020 -- South Korea's childbirth hit a record quarterly low in the third quarter as the COVID-19 pandemic delayed marriages, statistical office data showed Wednesday.
- S. Korea reports 271 more COVID-19 cases, 31,004 in total People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- South Korea reported 271 more cases of the COVID-19 as of midnight Sunday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 31,004.
- US Military Official Urges Closer Security Cooperation With Seoul in Space Sputnik 23 Nov 2020 -- The United States must expand its space security cooperation with South Korea to better prepare against future threats, Gen. John Raymond, the chief of space operations at the US Space Force, has said.
- Ambassador Harris Discusses U.S./ROK Alliance, Statesmanship During NPS Virtual Lecture US Navy 20 Nov 2020 -- U.S. Ambassador Harry Harris, lauded leader and diplomat, who became the first Asian American to hold four-star rank in the U.S. Navy and is the former commander of U.S. Pacific Command (PACOM), spoke virtually to students, staff and faculty of the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) about the U.S./Korea Alliance and about his experiences transcending from military service into statesmanship during NPS' latest virtual Secretary of the Navy Guest Lecture (SGL), held Nov. 17.
- South Korea to Spend 80% of Military Budget on Purchase of National Weapons, Reports Suggest Sputnik 18 Nov 2020 -- Defence Minister Suh Wook promised that more than 80% of South Korea's military budget, which is estimated at $90 billion, would be spent by the armed forces in the next five years on locally made weapons and equipment, as South Korea pursues an import substitution policy, local media reported on Wednesday.
- US pressures Japan, South Korea to speak out against China Press TV 14 Nov 2020 -- The US administration has pressured Japan and South Korea to speak out against China over its regional policies, despite their close trading relationships with Beijing.
- The United States of America and The Republic of Korea on Working Together to Promote Cooperation between the Indo-Pacific Strategy and the New Southern Policy US Dept. of State 13 Nov 2020 -- The text of the following fact sheet was released by the Governments of the United States of America and the Republic of Korea following bilateral consultations on the margins of the 2020 East Asia Summit.
- South Korea Sees Biggest Daily Jump in COVID-19 Cases in 70 Days VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- South Korea has reported its biggest daily jump in COVID-19 cases in 70 days as the government says it will fine people who fail to wear masks in public.
- S.Korea to fine people not wearing mask in public places People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- South Korea on Friday launched a COVID-19 quarantine rule to fine up to 100,000 won (about 90 U.S. dollars) to people who do not wear a mask in public places.
- South Korean Pharma Company to Produce 150Mln Doses of Russian COVID-19 Vaccine, RDIF Says Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) said on Friday it had signed an agreement with South Korean bio-tech company GL Rapha to produce over 150 million doses of the Sputnik V vaccine in South Korea annually.
- President-Elect Biden and South Korean President Moon Reaffirm U.S.-ROK Alliance in Return to Normalcy Radio Free Asia 13 Nov 2020 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in and U.S. President-elect Joe Biden during a phone call this week reaffirmed Seoul and Washington's commitment to their alliance, a development that North Korea watchers told RFA represents a return to normalcy in their bilateral relationship and also U.S. policy on North Korea.
- China, ROK coast guards conduct joint patrol in designated waters People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese coast guard authority has joined hands with its counterpart in the Republic of Korea (ROK) for the first ever joint patrol in designated waters under a China-ROK fishing agreement, according to the China Coast Guard.
- China, ROK coast guards carry out joint patrols in provisional measures zone for first time PLA Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- The China Coast Guard (CCG) vessel 6501 and the Korea Coast Guard (KCG) vessel 3009 formed a formation and conducted the first joint patrol in the provisional measures zone (PMZ) under the China-South Korea Fishery Agreement recently.
- South Korea removed from COVID-19 'low-to-moderate' risk list CNA 11 Nov 2020 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Wednesday removed South Korea from its list of countries from which business travelers can apply for shorter quarantine periods upon arrival in Taiwan, citing a recent surge in local cases there.
- 21 more U.S. soldiers, civilians in S. Korea test positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- Sixteen more U.S. soldiers and five other individuals in South Korea tested positive for COVID-19, the U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) has said.
- S.Korea to launch 2nd homegrown 3,000-ton submarine People's Daily 10 Nov 2020 -- South Korea's military planned to launch its second homegrown 3,000-ton diesel-powered submarine, Yonhap news agency reported Tuesday citing the country's navy.
- S. Korea's New Coronavirus Cases Reduced to Double Digits SPA 08 Nov 2020 -- South Korea's new coronavirus cases fell below 100 today, on Saturday for the first time in four days as health authorities introduced a revised social distancing scheme, Yonhap reported.
- South Korea Welcomes Biden Victory VOA 08 Nov 2020 -- South Korea has congratulated Democrat Joe Biden for his victory over President Donald Trump in what was a contentious election for the U.S. presidency.
- South Korea Reports 89 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 07 Nov 2020 -- South Korea's new coronavirus cases fell below 100 on Saturday, Yonhap News Agency reported.
- S. Korea to Maintain Lowest Level of Social Distancing Amid COVID 19 Potential Resurgence SPA 07 Nov 2020 -- South Korea will maintain Level 1 social distancing regulations under a revised five-tier scheme as the average daily number of new cases remains below 100 this week, Yonhap quoted the health authority as saying today, on Friday.
- 10 more U.S. soldiers, civilians in S.Korea test positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 05 Nov 2020 -- Five more U.S. soldiers and five other individuals in South Korea tested positive for COVID-19, the U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) said Thursday.
- S.Korea's air force launches 1st reconnaissance wing People's Daily 03 Nov 2020 -- South Korea's air force launched its first reconnaissance wing to operate key reconnaissance assets such as RQ-4 Global Hawk, Yonhap news agency reported Tuesday citing the country's air force.
- 18 more U.S. soldiers, civilians in S. Korea test positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- Thirteen more U.S. soldiers and five other individuals in South Korea tested positive for COVID-19, the U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) has said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list