Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2019 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- CNO Visits Republic of Korea NNS 25 Sep 2019 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Mike Gilday visited the Republic of Korea (ROK) to engage with U.S. Sailors and ROK national and naval leadership, Sept. 25.
- Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss North Korea, sharing military costs Press TV 24 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has met his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in on the sidelines of the 74th United Nations General Assembly to discuss resuming denuclearization talks with North Korea.
- Seoul to Boost Humanitarian Aid to North Korea Based on Progress of Denuclearisation- Reports Sputnik 24 Sep 2019 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in said during a meeting with Antonio Guterres on the sidelines of the 74th session of the UN General Assembly that Seoul was willing to increase humanitarian aid to North Korea, depending on the possible progress in the denuclearisation of the peninsula, Korean Broadcasting System outlet reported.
- Seoul, Washington Start 2-Day Talks on Defence Cost-Sharing Deal in S Korea on Tuesday Sputnik 24 Sep 2019 -- The United States and South Korea will start on Tuesday in Seoul the first two-day round of negotiations on sharing the costs of stationing US Forces Korea, as part of the Special Measures Agreement (SMA) that was concluded in February for the duration of one year.
- Republic of Korea President proposes DMZ as future 'peace and cooperation district' on Peninsula UN News 24 Sep 2019 -- The Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) between the two Koreas could be transformed into an "international peace zone" and even included on a UN list of global cultural heritage, world leaders in the UN General Assembly heard on Tuesday.
- North Korean Officials Angry that Pyongyang Refused Seoul's Help with Swine Fever Radio Free Asia 23 Sep 2019 -- Officials in North Korea are blaming their government for ignoring requests from South Korea to cooperate to prevent the spread of African Swine Fever (ASF) on the Korean peninsula, local sources say.
- Remarks by President Trump and President Moon of the Republic of Korea Before Bilateral Meeting | New York, NY The White House 23 Sep 2019
- Seoul, Washington to Hold Talks on Defence Cost-Sharing Deal in South Korea Next Week - Reports Sputnik 20 Sep 2019 -- The agreement between Seoul and Washington obliges South Korea to pay roughly 80 billion won (around $70 million) more for hosting 28,500 US troops per year, which, according to the Yonhap news agency, will be the main discussion topic during the negotiations.
- Saudi Prince Asks Seoul to Help Boost Air Defence After Attack on Oil Facilities - Reports Sputnik 18 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman held phone talks with South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Wednesday to discuss the fallout of the recent attack on Saudi Aramco oil facilities and ask Seoul for assistance in enhancing the kingdom's air defence, the Yonhap news agency reported, citing the presidential administration.
- South Korea to develop new weapons system by 2023 Press TV 17 Sep 2019 -- South Korea is planning to develop a weapons system to detect and strike small drones and eventually larger aircraft, as part of the country's program to modernize its military and despite efforts to defuse tensions with North Korea.
- For Separated Koreans, Memories Fading and Time Running Out VOA 16 Sep 2019 -- Jin Gyeong-sun was in his early 20s when he fled Pyongyang during the Korean War, heading to South Korea and leaving behind two sisters and a brother in the North.
- India Signs Military Logistics Pact with South Korea Sputnik 06 Sep 2019 -- The agreement will establish basic terms, conditions, and procedures for the reciprocal provision of logistic support, supplies, and services between the navies of India and South Korea.
- S.Korean PM calls for early resumption of DPRK-U.S. working-level talks People's Daily 05 Sep 2019 -- South Korean Prime Minister Lee Nak-yon on Thursday called for an early resumption of working-level talks between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the United States to settle lasting peace on the Korean Peninsula.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list