Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2019 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- South Korea Conducts Emergency National Security Council Meeting Over New Pyongyang Missile Tests Sputnik 31 Jul 2019 -- South Korea conducted an emergency meeting of its National Security Council on Wednesday over a recent missile test conducted by Pyongyang, Yonhap news agency reported.
- Article Suggests Nuclear Sharing with Japan, S. Korea to Deter N. Korean Threat VOA 30 Jul 2019 -- The National Defense University, an institution funded by the U.S. Department of Defense, has published a journal article suggesting Washington should share its nuclear tactical missiles with Japan and South Korea to deter North Korea's growing nuclear threat to East Asia and the U.S.
- Korea - Contractor Logistics Support (CLS) for RQ-4 Block 30 Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) DSCA 30 Jul 2019 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Republic of Korea of Contractor Logistics Support (CLS) for RQ-4 Block 30 Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPS) for an estimated cost of $950 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on July 29, 2019.
- South Korea, US Agree to Discuss Cost Sharing for US Troops in 'Fair' Way - Reports Sputnik 30 Jul 2019 -- Seoul and Washington have agreed to hold "reasonable and fair" discussions on sharing the cost for maintaining the 28,500-strong US force stationed in South Korea, Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday, citing a foreign ministry official.
- South Korea to Send Warship to Strait of Hormuz After US Call to Join Anti-Iran Coalition – Reports Sputnik 29 Jul 2019 -- Earlier, the United States invited Australia, France, Germany, Japan, Norway, South Korea and the United Kingdom, among others, to join an international coalition to ensure security in the Strait of Hormuz.
- South Korea says looking into 'various options' to protect ships in Persian Gulf Press TV 29 Jul 2019 -- South Korea says it is examining "various options" to protect ships sailing through the Strait of Hormuz, refuting earlier reports that it will join a US-led military coalition to deter what Washington calls Iran's threat to shipping in the Persian Gulf region.
- US Nuclear Sub Docks in South Korea as North Test-Fires 'New Tactical Guided' Missile - Report Sputnik 27 Jul 2019 -- On Thursday, North Korea test fired two projectiles that fell into the Sea of Japan. Reacting to the launch, President Trump stated that the tests did not bother him, as they only involved short-range missiles.
- South Korea-US Joint Drills to Go on as Planned Despite North Korea's Warning - Reports Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- The US and South Korea will proceed with their 19-2 Dong Maeng military exercise as scheduled despite North Korean media claiming that Pyongyang's recent ballistic missile launch was meant to warn Seoul against holding the drill, Yonhap News Agency reported, citing an unnamed source at the South Korean Presidential Office.
- South Korea Provides Russia With Materials Allegedly Proving Airspace Violation - Reports Sputnik 25 Jul 2019 -- South Korean officials have provided their Russian colleagues with materials, including radar images and voice recordings of South Korean soldiers, that allegedly prove Russian aircraft illegally entered South Korean airspace earlier in the week, the Yonhap news agency reported.
- Russia changes story on S. Korea airspace intrusion Updated: 2019-07-24 ARIRANG 24 Jul 2019 -- Seoul's defense ministry has rejected what it's saying are distorted claims by Russia regarding Tuesday's intrusion into Korea's airspace.
- Moscow Denies Voicing 'Deep Regret' To Seoul Over Airspace Violation RFE/RL 24 Jul 2019 -- South Korean officials say Russia has expressed "deep regret" over the intrusion of one of its military aircraft into South Korean airspace, a claim that Moscow is denying.
- Russia and China Deny Violating South Korean Airspace VOA 24 Jul 2019 -- Both Russia and China are denying their military aircraft violated South Korea's territorial airspace during a joint air patrol Tuesday.
- South Korea Plans Construction of Aircraft Carrier Within 10 Years Sputnik 23 Jul 2019 -- Seoul plans to have a landing platform helicopter (LPH), a type of light aircraft carrier, in the water in the next 10 years, a government insider told Defense News for a Tuesday article. The news comes amid a massive South Korean fleet buildup aiming at a blue-water navy.
- S Korean Military Fired Warning Shots, Saying Russian Warplane Illegally Entered Country's Airspace Sputnik 23 Jul 2019 -- South Korea's Ministry of National Defence official said that it was the first time a Russian military aircraft had violated South Korean airspace.
- South Korea says fired warning shots at Russian plane violating its airspace Press TV 23 Jul 2019 -- Seoul says its fighter jets have fired warning shots at a Russian military aircraft after it entered South Korean airspace, in the first such incident between the countries.
- South Korea Fires Warning Shots At Russian Military Aircraft, Japan Scrambles Warplanes RFE/RL 23 Jul 2019 -- South Korea says its warplanes fired warning shots at a Russian surveillance plane that entered its airspace above the Sea of Japan on July 23.
- Moscow Summons S. Korean Attache to Protest Dangerous Actions by S. Korean Combat Planes Sputnik 23 Jul 2019 -- South Korean military attache was handed a protest note in connection with the illegal and dangerous actions by the pilots of S. Korean fighter jets, Russian long-range aviation commander, Lt. Gen. Sergey Kolybash, said Tuesday.
- Tokyo Lodges Protest With Moscow, Seoul Over Incident With Russian Plane in Sea of Japan Sputnik 23 Jul 2019 -- Tokyo lodged a diplomatic protest with Moscow and Seoul after an incident involving a Russian warplane flying over the Liancourt Rocks, a territory in the Sea of Japan/East Sea that is contested by Japan and South Korea.
- Seoul: Russian Jets Violate South Korea Airspace VOA 23 Jul 2019 -- South Korean jets fired flares and warning shots Tuesday after a Russian warplane violated its territorial airspace, according to Seoul's defense ministry.
- Russia denies violating S.Korean airspace Global Times 23 Jul 2019 -- The Russian Defense Ministry denied on Tuesday that its strategic Tu-95 MS missile carriers had violated South Korean airspace and had been met with warning shots from South Korean warplanes.
- South Korea: Drill with US to go ahead despite North's warning Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- South Korea says a joint military exercise with the US will go ahead as planned next month, despite North Korea's warning that the drill could wreck denuclearization talks.
- North Korea accuses Japan of destroying peace amid trade spat with South Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- North Korea has denounced Japan's decision to impose US-like trade restrictions against South Korea over a wartime dispute, calling the move a threat to "the trend of peace" on the Korean peninsula.
- 'Rehearsal of War': Pyongyang Condemns US Over Planned Military Exercises with Seoul Sputnik 17 Jul 2019 -- This week, North Korea accused the US of "reneging on its commitments" by agreeing to hold military drills with South Korea from August 5 to August 23, and released a follow-up statement condemning the US over its "rehearsal of war."
- U.S. Hit for Seeking to Wage Joint Military Drill against DPRK KCNA 16 Jul 2019 -- A spokesperson for the DPRK Foreign Ministry made public the following press statement on Tuesday:
- US-South Korea Drills Could Impact Nuclear Talks, Says North VOA 16 Jul 2019 -- North Korea has criticized U.S. plans to hold a joint military exercise next month with South Korea, suggesting the drills could negatively impact upcoming working-level nuclear talks with Washington.
- South Korea's F-35 jet acquisition extremely dangerous action: North Korean official Press TV 11 Jul 2019 -- North Korea has criticized the South's acquisition of American F-35 stealth fighter jets as an "extremely dangerous action" that could jeopardize inter-Korean relations.
- 'Extremely Dangerous Action': Pyongyang Fires Off Lethal Threats Over Seoul's F-35 Jet Pick-Up Sputnik 11 Jul 2019 -- On Thursday, North Korea claimed it would develop and test unspecified "special armaments" to destroy US F-35 fighter jets if South Korea continues to deploy them.
- President Donald J. Trump and President Moon Jae-in Reaffirm the United States' and Republic of Korea's Ironclad Alliance US Dept. of State 02 Jul 2019 -- President Donald J. Trump visited the Republic of Korea (R.O.K.) June 29–30. During this visit, President Trump and R.O.K. President Moon Jae-in affirmed the unbreakable bond between our two countries and committed to further strengthen our bilateral relationship. Both sides reaffirmed that the strong U.S.-R.O.K. alliance is the linchpin of peace and security in the Indo-Pacific. The two leaders also took steps to deepen security, economic, scientific, health, and cultural cooperation in the region.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list