Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2019 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Republic of Korea Air Force receives first Airbus A330 MRTT Airbus 30 Jan 2019 -- The Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) has taken delivery of its first Airbus A330 Multi Role Tanker Transport (MRTT) aircraft.
- No End in Sight for Radar Dispute Between Seoul and Tokyo VOA 28 Jan 2019 -- Seoul has accused Tokyo of repeated low-altitude, "provocative" flights over its naval vessels. It's something the Japanese government denies and the two sides have been going back and forth publicly for over a month disputing one another's accounts as bilateral relations sink.
- US, S Korea to Downsize Military Drills Amid N Korea Denuclearisation - Reports Sputnik 28 Jan 2019 -- The United States and South Korea will decrease the scale of their regular joint military exercises, scheduled for spring, in order to facilitate Pyongyang's denuclearization process, NHK World-Japan broadcaster reported on Monday.
- S. Korea: Japanese Warplane Made Threatening Pass over Naval Vessel VOA 23 Jan 2019 -- South Korea says a Japanese military aircraft made a threatening low-altitude flight over one of its naval vessels Wednesday, describing it as a "provocative act."
- Japanese Patrol Plane Flies Close to S Korean Warship in Korea Strait - Reports Sputnik 23 Jan 2019 -- A Japanese maritime patrol aircraft flew close to a South Korean warship in the Korea Strait on 23 January, the Yonhap news agency reported, citing an unnamed South Korean official.
- US Wants Seoul to Pay Over $1Bln in 2019 for Deployment of Its Troops - Reports Sputnik 23 Jan 2019 -- Washington has insisted that Seoul boost its spending related to maintaining the 28,500-strong US Forces Korea (USFK) to 1.35 trillion won ($1.2 billion) this year, a 41 percent increase from 2018 and more than South Korea is willing to consider contributing, South Korean media reported on Wednesday, citing a diplomatic source.
- S.Korean FM, Pompeo hold phone talks over 2nd DPRK-U.S. summit People's Daily 21 Jan 2019 -- South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha and U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo held phone talks Monday morning over the second summit between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the United States, according to Seoul's Foreign Ministry.
- South Korea to Invest $6.5Mln in Unmanned Vehicle Technology in 2019 - Reports Sputnik 20 Jan 2019 -- South Korea is planning to spend 7.3 billion won ($6.5 million) to develop aerial, marine and ground-based unmanned vehicles, Yonhap reported on Sunday citing the government.
- South Korea's First F-35s to Arrive in March Amid Easing Tensions With North Sputnik 17 Jan 2019 -- Two F-35A stealth fighter aircraft will be delivered to South Korea's air force in March, beginning a process that will send two F-35As to South Korea each month until the end of the year.
- Analysts: Seoul-Tokyo Diplomatic Rows Unlikely to Have Lasting Effect VOA 17 Jan 2019 -- Relations between South Korea and Japan continue to sour as a pair of diplomatic disputes creates a renewed strain on bilateral ties between Seoul and Tokyo.
- S. Korea Removes 'Enemy' Reference to N. Korea in New Defense Report VOA 15 Jan 2019 -- South Korea has dropped a reference to North Korea as its "enemy" in the military's updated policy document, reflecting President Moon Jae-in's initiative in achieving détente with Pyongyang.
- Second Trump-Kim summit imminent: South Korea's Moon Press TV 10 Jan 2019 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in says he thinks a second meeting between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is "imminent."
- South Korea's Moon Says Next DPRK Leader Kim's Visit to Seoul to Happen Soon Sputnik 10 Jan 2019 -- South Korean president Moon Jae-in announced on Thursday that he second US-North Korea summit as well as DPRK leader Kim Jong-un's visit to Seoul would take place "soon".
- S. Korea to offer antiviral medication to DPRK in humanitarian aid People's Daily 09 Jan 2019 -- South Korea decided Tuesday to offer about 200,000 doses of Tamiflu antiviral medication to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) in humanitarian aid.
- S.Korea welcomes DPRK leader's visit to China People's Daily 09 Jan 2019 -- South Korea's presidential Blue House on Tuesday welcomed the visit by Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to China, as it was anticipated to contribute to building peace on the Korean Peninsula.
- S.Korea's navy conducts maritime drills in western waters People's Daily 04 Jan 2019 -- South Korea's navy on Friday conducted this year's first maritime drills in western waters, south of the maritime buffer zone which the country set with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to reduce military tensions.
- S. Korea releases video clip to rebut Japan's claim over radar threat People's Daily 04 Jan 2019 -- South Korea's defense ministry on Friday released a video clip to rebut Japan's claim that a South Korean warship locked its fire-control radar on a Japanese patrol aircraft last month.
- Seoul Posts Its Own Radar Row Clip, Urges Tokyo to Apologise for 'Warping Facts' Sputnik 04 Jan 2019 -- In late 2018, Tokyo released footage in a bid confirm its claim that a South Korean warship had allegedly locked its fire-control radar on a Japanese maritime patrol aircraft off the Noto Peninsula on 20 December.
- DPRK leader's letter to Trump to play positive role: S.Korea's Blue House People's Daily 03 Jan 2019 -- The letter by Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), to U.S. President Donald Trump will play a positive role in denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula and building lasting peace, South Korea's presidential Blue House said Thursday.
- Some S. Koreans Eager to Welcome Kim Jong Un to Seoul VOA 03 Jan 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un highlighted peace and prosperity in his annual New Year's address, and while he did not make the much-anticipated trip to Seoul in 2018, some local residents are hopeful the visit could still come soon and promote greater ties between the two nations.
- Resumption of inter-Korean cooperation projects possible through int'l community: S. Korean ministry People's Daily 02 Jan 2019 -- The resumption of cooperation projects between South Korea and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) would be possible through cooperation with the international community, Seoul's unification ministry said on Wednesday.
- South Korea-US military cost-sharing deal expires with no update in sight Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- A deal between Washington and Seoul on sharing the cost of maintaining a US military presence in South Korea has expired, with no new agreement on the horizon amid a standoff between the two sides over President Donald Trump's demand for more South Korean contribution.
- Seoul Welcomes Kim's New Year Address - Reports Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- The office of South Korean President Moon Jae-in has welcomed the New Year's address by North Korean leader Kim Jong-un as a signal of his commitment to resolve the crisis on the peninsula, Yonhap news agency reported, citing the relevant statement.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list