Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2018 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- S.Korea, DPRK agree to hold summit on April 27 in Panmunjom People's Daily 29 Mar 2018 -- South Korea and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Thursday agreed to hold a summit on April 27 in the truce village of Panmunjom, the first meeting between the leaders of the two sides in 11 years.
- Eyeing Pyongyang, Seoul to Deploy New 'Artillery Killer' Missiles This Fall Sputnik 21 Mar 2018 -- South Korea plans to soon deploy multiple surface-to-surface missiles dubbed the "artillery killer," a system that can destroy North Korean bunkers in the event of a military confrontation on the Korean Peninsula.
- South Korea, DPRK, US May Hold Trilateral Summit Sputnik 21 Mar 2018 -- South Korea, North Korea and the United States may hold a trilateral summit to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula and ensure peace in the region, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Wednesday.
- US, South Korea to resume annual military drills Press TV 20 Mar 2018 -- The United States and South Korea say their annual joint military drills will resume next month, despite a diplomatic thaw with North Korea, a move that risks irking Pyongyang ahead of a planned summit with US President Donald Trump.
- Resumption of Combined Exercises DoD 19 Mar 2018 -- Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis and the Republic of Korea Minister of National Defense Song Young-moo have agreed to resume the annual combined exercises including Foal Eagle and Key Resolve which were deconflicted with the schedule of the Olympic Games. The exercises are expected to resume April 1, 2018, at a scale similar to that of the previous years.
- Readout of National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster's Meeting with National Security Office Director Chung Eui-yong of the Republic of Korea and Secretary General of the National Security Secretariat Shotaro Yachi of Japan The White House 19 Mar 2018
- Deputy Secretary Sullivan's Meeting with Republic of Korea (ROK) Foreign Minister Kang US Dept. of State 16 Mar 2018
- Readout of President Donald J. Trump's Call with President Moon Jae-in of the Republic of Korea The White House 16 Mar 2018
- 'Once hard ice melts:' China, Russia back Korean peace Press TV 15 Mar 2018 -- China and Russia have expressed their full support for a peace drive launched by South Korea to resolve the persisting Korean crisis, a top South Korean official says.
- South Korea Buys 90 Taurus Bunker Busting Cruise Missiles Sputnik 14 Mar 2018 -- South Korea has inked an agreement with European defense contractors to purchase 90 Taurus KEPD 350 long-range precision-guided cruise missiles. The weapons, estimated to carry a price tag of around $108 million, are to be used in their pre-emptive strike program as deterrence against a North Korean attack.
- North Korea yet to comment on Trump-Kim meeting plan: South Korea Press TV 12 Mar 2018 -- South Korea says it has not yet received an official response from the North about a summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, which the American president has said is being planned for May.
- South Korea, China, Russia welcome possible meeting between Trump and Kim Press TV 09 Mar 2018 -- An unexpected announcement that a meeting is being planned between the leaders of long-time adversaries the United States and North Korea has been welcomed by regional powers China and Russia as well as South Korea.
- Remarks by Republic of Korea National Security Advisor Chung Eui-Yong The White House 08 Mar 2018
- Korean Peninsula denuclearization still distant target: South Korea's Moon Press TV 08 Mar 2018 -- South Korea's President Moon Jae-in says a recent North Korean proposal for holding disarmament talks is a positive step but insists there is a long way to go to achieve a full denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
- South Korean Envoys Head to US to Discuss North Korean Offer VOA 08 Mar 2018 -- Two South Korean envoys are heading to the United States to brief Trump administration officials about their talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- US, South Korea plan massive military exercise: Pentagon Press TV 07 Mar 2018 -- The US says it will hold a joint military exercise with South Korea hours after President Donald Trump hailed as "very positive" North Korea's offer of talks.
- South Korea says 'too early to be optimistic' about North Press TV 07 Mar 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in says he has no plans to ease sanctions on the rival North only because of Pyongyang's offer to discuss denuclearization with the United States.
- 'Too Early To Be Optimistic' On North, Says South Korea's Moon RFE/RL 07 Mar 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has said it was "too early to be optimistic" about the North's offer to discuss denuclearization with the United States.
- Kim Jong Un Meets Delegation of Special Envoy of S. Korean President KCNA 06 Mar 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, received the members of a delegation of special envoy of the south Korean president who arrived in Pyongyang on Monday.
- Kim Jong Un Hosts Dinner for Members of Special Envoy Delegation of S. Korean President KCNA 06 Mar 2018 -- Respected Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, Monday hosted a dinner for the members of the delegation of the special envoy of the south Korean president on a visit to Pyongyang.
- Top DPRK leader reaches "satisfactory" agreement with envoy over S. Korean president's intention for summit People's Daily 06 Mar 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), has made "a satisfactory agreement" with the South Korean envoy over a summit intention, Korean Central News Agency reported Tuesday.
- North, South Korean Presidents Agree To Hold April Summit RFE/RL 06 Mar 2018 -- South Korea says it has agreed with North Korea to hold summit talks between the two countries' presidents in late April.
- South Korea 'to send high-level delegation to North' Press TV 04 Mar 2018 -- South Korea has announced a decision to send a high-level political delegation to the North, raising hopes for a diplomatic solution to the decades-long conflict on the Korean Peninsula.
- South Korea To Send High-level Officials To North For Talks RFE/RL 04 Mar 2018 -- South Korea's president will send a delegation led by his national security director to North Korea this week for talks on how to ease nuclear tensions and help push for talks between Pyongyang and Washington.
- Seoul Plans to Send Special Envoys to DPRK - Reports Sputnik 04 Mar 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in wants to send National Intelligence Service (NIS) chief Suh Hoon and head of the National Security Office (NSO) Chung Eui-yong as delegates to North Korea for taking part in bilateral talks, local media reported on Sunday.
- High-level South Korean Delegation to Hold Discussions With the North VOA 04 Mar 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in will send a high-level special delegation to North Korea on Monday to discuss ways in which relations can be improved and to ease tension on the peninsula, South Korea's presidential Blue House announced on Sunday.
- South Korea's Moon informs Trump of plan to send special envoy to North Korea Press TV 01 Mar 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has told his American counterpart Donald Trump that he intends to send a special envoy to Pyongyang in response to an invitation by Kim Jong-un, the North's leader, following the recent Olympic-driven detente between the two Koreas.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list