Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2018 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- South Korea, US 'to resume joint drills in early April' despite warning by North Press TV 28 Feb 2018 -- South Korea and the United States have decided to launch a postponed joint military exercise despite warnings by North Korea that the move may jeopardize a nascent rapprochement between Pyongyang and Seoul.
- South Korea prosecutors demand 30-year term for ex-president Park Press TV 27 Feb 2018 -- Prosecutors in South Korea have demanded a lengthy prison sentence for former president Park Geun-hye, who was toppled last year amid an influence-peddling scandal.
- Chinese Plane Enters South Korea's Air Defense Zone – Reports Sputnik 27 Feb 2018 -- China's aircraft flew into South Korea's air defense identification zone (KADIZ), spending over four hours there without giving prior notification, the Yonhap news agency reported citing defense authorities.
- South Korea Says North Open To Talks With U.S. RFE/RL 25 Feb 2018 -- South Korea said on February 25 that North Korea is willing to hold talks with the United States.
- S Korea Agrees to Boost Military Cooperation With Switzerland, Latvia - Reports Sputnik 23 Feb 2018 -- South Korea on Friday agreed to boost military cooperation with Switzerland and Latvia at separate meetings of South Korean Defense Minister Song Yong-moo with his Swiss and Latvian counterparts, according to local media reports.
- US plans bans on North Korea, South invites sanctioned official Press TV 23 Feb 2018 -- The United States is reportedly set to unveil a large package of sanctions against North Korea, even as Pyongyang is continuing to engage its main rival Seoul in pursuit of peace.
- US, S. Korea Military Exercises Could End Outreach to Nuclear North VOA 22 Feb 2018 -- The resumption of U.S.-South Korea joint military exercises, which were postponed until after the PyeongChang Olympics and Paralympics end in late March, could also mark the end of the current diplomatic outreach to North Korea.
- Seoul Views Inter-Korean Talks as Way to Pyongyang Denuclearization - Ministry Sputnik 21 Feb 2018 -- Seoul views the inter-Korean talks as a key to the solution of the North Korean nuclear problem, South Korean Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.
- South Korea Seeks PAC-3 Precision-Guided Missiles from Lockheed Martin Sputnik 21 Feb 2018 -- The South Korean Ministry of National Defense has approved a deal to procure $53 million worth of PAC-3 missiles to counter the North Korean threat.
- At Olympics, North Korean Atrocities Overlooked by South, Overplayed by US VOA 15 Feb 2018 -- South Korea's Olympic outreach to North Korea has raised concerns that Seoul is willing to overlook human rights abuses to improve inter-Korean relations.
- Mattis says N Korea cannot drive wedge between US, S Korea Press TV 12 Feb 2018 -- US Secretary of Defense James Mattis says says a temporary warming of relations between North Korea and South Korea could not drive a "wedge" between the United States and South Korea.
- US threatens N Korea with war as 2 Koreas take leap towards peace Press TV 10 Feb 2018 -- The United States has yet again threatened North Korea with a military action as South Korea is witnessing a breakthrough in its relations with Pyongyang for the first time in more than 60 years.
- N Korea's leader invites South's president for visit amid Olympic rapprochement Press TV 10 Feb 2018 -- In a major diplomatic overture to Seoul, North Korea's leader, Kim Jong-un, invites President Moon Jae-in of the South for a visit after senior officials of the two Koreas held rare top-level talks on the sidelines of Winter Olympics.
- North Korean Leader Invites South Korean President to Pyongyang - Reports Sputnik 10 Feb 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has invited South Korean President Moon Jae-in to Pyongyang for a third intra-Korean summit, media reported on Saturday.
- North Korea Proposes Inter-Korean Leaders Summit VOA 10 Feb 2018 -- South Korea's Olympic outreach achieved a diplomatic breakthrough Saturday when President Moon Jae-in was invited to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Pyongyang.
- Pence Counters South Korea's Olympic Engagement Efforts with North Korea VOA 08 Feb 2018 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence assured South Korea the United States will stand shoulder to shoulder with its allies to bring "maximum pressure" on North Korea to end its nuclear and ballistic missile program.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list