Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2018 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Briefing on the Preparations for a Safe and Secure 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Games in PyeongChang, South Korea US Dept. of State 31 Jan 2018 -- Special Briefing by I. Steven (Steve) Goldstein, Under Secretary for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs; Michael T. Evanoff, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Diplomatic Security
- WP: Trump Administration Drops Victor Cha as Pick for Seoul Envoy KBS 31 Jan 2018 -- The White House will reportedly pass on its original candidate for U.S. ambassador to South Korea Victor Cha after he disagreed with President Donald Trump's policy on North Korea.
- Seoul, Jakarta Affirm Cooperation on Fighter Jet, Submarine Development Sputnik 31 Jan 2018 -- South Korea and Indonesia have renewed a commitment to joint development of 4.5 generation jet fighters and submarines despite concerns about the Indonesian government's ability to fund the programs.
- Seoul Accuses China of Violating Their Air Defense Identification Zone - Again Sputnik 30 Jan 2018 -- South Korea accused China on Monday of flying a military aircraft through their air defense identification zone without alerting Seoul of the flight beforehand. This is the second alleged Chinese violation of South Korea's air defense identification zone in as many months.
- North Korea Cancels Joint Cultural Performance with South Korea VOA 29 Jan 2018 -- North Korea has cancelled a joint cultural performance with the South planned ahead of the winter Olympic Games, South Korea's unification ministry said Monday.
- China, Japan agree to hold China-Japan-ROK summit as soon as possible People's Daily 29 Jan 2018 -- China and Japanagreed to hold a new round of China-Japan-ROK leaders' meetings as soon as possible, and foster the proper environment for the trilateral summit.
- Secretary Mattis Bilat with ROK MOD DoD 26 Jan 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis; Song Young-moo, Republic of Korea Minister of National Defense
- ROK-US Defense Ministerial Meeting DoD 26 Jan 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis and Republic of Korea (ROK) Minister of National Defense Song Young-moo met at Pacific Command in Honolulu, Hawaii, on Jan. 26, 2018. The secretary and the minister reaffirmed the strength of the U.S.-ROK alliance, and its mission to defend the ROK and to maintain peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula.
- U.S. Urged to Completely Stop Joint Military Exercises KCNA 26 Jan 2018 -- The permanent representative of the DPRK to the UN Office and international organizations in Geneva, at the first session of the Geneva Disarmament Conference that opened on Jan. 23, clarified the following principled stand as regards military moves going against the atmosphere for detente on the Korean Peninsula:
- Seoul says military solution to N Korea crisis 'unacceptable' Press TV 25 Jan 2018 -- South Korea has hinted for the first time since the start of a standoff with the North over Pyongyang's nuclear program last year that a military solution would be no answer to the crisis and that differences should be settled diplomatically.
- Seoul rejects local criticism against planned North Korean Olympics participation Press TV 23 Jan 2018 -- The South Korean government has rejected local criticism that North Korea has been receiving too much attention because of its scheduled participation in the upcoming 2018 Winter Olympic Games in South Korea.
- Seoul Voices Protest Over Tokyo's Statement on Disputed Dokdo Islands Sputnik 22 Jan 2018 -- South Korea expressed its regret in a statement on Monday over Japan's recent territorial claims with regard to a disputed island group in the Sea of Japan, called Dokdo by the Koreans and Takeshima by the Japanese.
- South Korea welcomes North's participation in Olympics Press TV 21 Jan 2018 -- Authorities in South Korea have welcomed North Korea's participation in the Winter Olympics as a major step toward settlement of disputes between the two neighbors, especially those concerning Pyongyang's development of weapons.
- Readout of Deputy Secretary Shanahan's Meeting with Republic of Korea Vice Minister of National Defense Suh DoD 19 Jan 2018
- S Korea Restores Military Hotline With N Korea - Reports Sputnik 18 Jan 2018 -- South Korea has completely restored the military communication hotline with North Korea to prevent armed incidents in the Yellow Sea, the Yonhap news agency reported Thursday from Seoul citing a source in the South Korean Armed Forces.
- DPRK offers to send 230-member cheering squad to S.Korea-hosted Winter Olympics People's Daily 17 Jan 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has offered to South Koreasending a 230-member cheering squad to the South Korea-hosted Winter Olympics during the ongoing working-level talks in the truce village of Panmunjom, Seoul's unification ministry said Wednesday.
- North, South Korea to march under 'unified flag' at Winter Olympics Press TV 17 Jan 2018 -- North and South Korean athletes have agreed to march under a "unified flag" at next month's Winter Olympics, in what seems to be a historic breakthrough after years of diplomatic tension between the two neighbors.
- Seoul Hopes to Build Dialogue With Pyongyang to Resolve Nuclear Issue Sputnik 16 Jan 2018 -- Seoul hopes to build upon recent breakthrough bilateral discussions with Pyongyang to resolve the nuclear crisis, South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha said at a ministerial meeting in Vancouver, Canada on Tuesday.
- DPRK announces result of working-level talks with S. Korea People's Daily 16 Jan 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea announced Monday night the result of its working level talks with South Koreafor the dispatch of its art troupe to the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.
- South Korea Engagement Strategy Requires Daunting Diplomacy VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- After negotiating what seems to be an Olympics truce with North Korea, South Korean President Moon Jae-in now has a chance to test his outreach strategy to achieve the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula through economic engagement.
- DPRK urges South Korean media to stop "messing up" inter-Korean talks People's Daily 15 Jan 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Monday urged some South Korean media to stop "messing up" the on-going inter-Korean talks, as the two sides are holding the second round of talks at the truce village of Panmunjom.
- North, South Korea delegations discuss Olympic Games in truce village Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- North and South Koreas have held a new round of talks aimed at hammering out the details of Pyongyang’s plan to send a group of art performers to the South for next month’s Winter Olympics.
- Koreas to hold working-level talks on January 15 Press TV 13 Jan 2018 -- North Korea and South Korea have announced that they will hold a new round of working-level talks in a border village to discuss the details and formalities of the North's participation in the upcoming Winter Olympics in the South.
- Thailand Receives First New T-50 Trainer Jets From South Korea Sputnik 11 Jan 2018 -- South Korea's sole aircraft manufacturer, Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI), on January 8 began delivery of its advanced T-50 Golden Eagle lead-in fighter trainers to Thailand's air force.
- S. Korea, DPRK start normal operation of military hotline People's Daily 10 Jan 2018 -- South Korea and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Wednesday started a normal operation of military hotline for direct dialogue between the military authorities.
- China 'happy' for high-level talks by DPRK and ROK People's Daily 10 Jan 2018 -- Beijing says it "feels happy" to see improved relations between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and the Republic of Korea after the two sides held high-profile talks. China called on the international community to lend its backing to such efforts.
- Trump to South Korea: US Open to Talks With North at 'Appropriate Time' VOA 10 Jan 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he is open to talks with North Korea "at the appropriate time".
- DPRK to send high-ranking delegation to S.Korea-hosted Winter Olympics People's Daily 09 Jan 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) will send a high-ranking delegation, athletes and a cheering squad to the PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games in South Korea, its delegation said Tuesday at the inter-Korean talks held on the north-south border.
- All North Korea's nukes aimed at US not 'brethren' South Korea: Pyongyang Press TV 09 Jan 2018 -- North Korea says all of its nuclear weapons are aimed at the US not Pyongyang's "brethren" in South Korea, asserting that its nuclear program will be non-negotiable in the coming talks with Seoul, as the two foes have just begun their first official dialogue in more than two years amid escalating tension over the North's controversial weapons program.
- North Korea agrees to send officials, athletes to Winter Olympics in South: Seoul Press TV 09 Jan 2018 -- All eyes are on the two Koreas as the approaching Winter Olympics provides a perfect opportunity for the two unfriendly neighbors to engage in some fence mending. Preliminary reports suggest North Korea has said it will send a delegation of high-ranking officials, athletes, and a cheering squad to the Pyeongchang games in the South next month.
- Seoul, Pyongyang Agree to Hold Talks to Ease Tensions Ahead of Winter Olympics Sputnik 09 Jan 2018 -- Earlier, it was reported that the representatives of the Koreas had met for the first time in two years in the demilitarized zone to talk about the steps that could be taken to soothe ever-growing tensions on the peninsula and North Korea's participation in the upcoming Olympic Games in Pyeongchang.
- North Korea Plans to Send High-Level Delegation to Olympic Games Sputnik 09 Jan 2018 -- Pyongyang said that it has plans to send a delegation to the Winter Olympics in the South Korean city of Pyeongchang to cheer on the team, according to local media.
- Talks Between South Korea and North Korea on the Winter Olympics US Dept. of State 09 Jan 2018-- "The United States welcomes the January 9, meeting between the Republic of Korea and North Korea aimed at ensuring a safe, secure, and successful Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang."
- UN chief welcomes progress on inter-Korean talks as vital to reducing tensions in region UN News 09 Jan 2018 -- Welcoming the progress made during Tuesday's high-level inter-Korean talks in the small border village of Panmunjom, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres spotlighted, among others, the agreement to reopen military channels as critical to reducing tensions in the region.
- North, South Korea Agree to Hold Talks to Improve Relations VOA 09 Jan 2018 -- North and South Korea agreed Tuesday to hold military talks to improve relations, the two nations announced after their first formal discussions in more than two years.
- Korea Talks Welcomed, But With Skepticism VOA 09 Jan 2018 -- The United States and United Nations on Tuesday welcomed steps to ease tensions between North and South Korea after the two rival states held their first face-to-face talks in two years.
- North, South Koreas set to hold talks on Winter Olympics, family reunification Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- The two Koreas are preparing to hold their first round of formal talks in almost two years at a border village on next month's Winter Olympics, among other issues of bilateral interest.
- India-South Korea Collaboration on $4.9 Bln Minesweeper Project Collapses Sputnik 08 Jan 2018 -- India's state-owned shipbuilder Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) is soon expected to issue a fresh expression of interest for the $4.9 billion mine countermeasure vehicles (MCMVs) project after canceling an earlier deal with South Korea's Kangnam Corporation. This could be GSL's third attempt in the last 10 years to build such vessels at its local facility.
- US defense chief insists talks between rival Koreas won't affect S Korea ties Press TV 07 Jan 2018 -- US Defense Secretary James Mattis has emphasized that North Korea will not likely be able to use talks with the rival South on the Winter Olympics to drive a wedge between Washington and Seoul regarding the denuclearization of the peninsula.
- North Korea agrees to high-level talks: South Press TV 05 Jan 2018 -- North Korea has agreed to hold high-level talks with South Korea next week, Seoul says, increasing hopes of a peaceful end to a long-running military standoff that also involves the United States.
- Koreas' Talks to Cover Olympics Only VOA 05/wmd/library/news/dprk/2018/ Jan 2018 -- North Korea has accepted South Korea's offer of high-level talks on Jan. 9 at the truce village of Panmunjom in the demilitarized zone dividing the two Koreas, but only the Olympic Games will be discussed.
- Mattis Discusses U.S.-South Korean Exercises, Iran Protests AFPS 04 Jan 2018 -- Joint South Korean-U.S. military exercises have been "deconflicted" with the Winter Olympics, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis said here today.
- US, South Korea Agree to Halt Military Drills During 2018 Olympics - Pentagon Sputnik 04 Jan 2018 -- The presidents of the US and South Korea have held a phone conversation, during which they discussed the peace process on the Korean Peninsula.
- US, South Korea Delay Military Drills Until After Winter Olympics VOA 04 Jan 2018 -- The United States and South Korea have decided to delay joint military exercises until after the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics next month, officials from both countries said Thursday.
- UN chief hails reopening of North-South Korea hotline Press TV 04 Jan 2018 -- UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has hailed the reopening of a hotline between North and South Korea, voicing hopes for further progress in defusing tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
- North Korea leader orders hotline with South reopened Press TV 03 Jan 2018 -- North Korean Leader Kim Jong-un has given an order to reopen a cross-border telephone hotline with South Korea, as Pyongyang and Seoul make overtures to one another.
- Pyongyang, Seoul Hold Phone Call Via Reopened Hotline – S Korean Official Sputnik 03 Jan 2018 -- The North and South Korean liaison officers have held a phone conversation via the reopened communication channel in Panmunjom, the shared border village, South Korea's Unification Ministry official said, as quoted by the Yonhap news agency.
- Kim Jong-un Gives Order to Open Border Hotline Between Two Koreas Sputnik 03 Jan 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has ordered the reopening of a contact channel between Pyongyang and Seoul to discuss issues related to the upcoming Olympic games in Pyeongchang, Ri Son Gwon, the head of North Korea's agency handling inter-Korean affairs, said as quoted by the Yonhap news agency.
- UN officials welcome reopening of communications between two Koreas UN News 03 Jan 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has welcomed the reopening of the communication channel between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the Republic of Korea, his deputy spokesman said on Wednesday.
- South Korea offers date for high-level talks with North Press TV 02 Jan 2018 -- South Korea has offered to hold high-level talks with the North on January 9, shortly after North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said that direct dialog could take place between the two countries.
- South Korea Offers Pyongyang to Sit Down at Negotiating Table Sputnik 02 Jan 2018 -- Seoul is proposing to hold high-level talks on January 9 with Pyongyang at the demilitarized zone between the two countries, South Korea's Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon said Tuesday.
- South Korea Offers Talks With Rival North Over Winter Olympics VOA 02 Jan 2018 -- South Korea offered Tuesday to hold high-level talks with bitter rival North Korea over the North's possible participation in the upcoming Winter Olympic Games hosted by South Korea.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list