Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2017 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- South Korea seizes another ship suspected of transferring oil to North Korea: Report Press TV 31 Dec 2017 -- South Korea has seized a Panama-flagged vessel suspected of shipping oil products to North Korea in breach of international embargoes enforced against Pyongyang, a report says.
- South Korea kicks off two-day military drills in Sea of Japan Press TV 29 Dec 2017 -- South Korea has launched two-day military exercises off the islands in the Sea of Japan that are also claimed by Tokyo.
- South Korea, Japan Weighing F-35B Acquisitions Sputnik 29 Dec 2017 -- The South Korean and Japanese governments are considering buying Lockheed Martin's F-35 aircraft and helicopter-carrier variant, the F-35B, in addition to major orders of F-35A jets already in the pipeline.
- South Korea Launches Drills on Defense of Islets Disputed by Japan Sputnik 28 Dec 2017 -- South Korea has begun two-day military drills aimed at defense of the disputed group of the Liancourt Rocks islets, called Dokdo by South Korea and Takeshima by Japan, the Republic of Korea Navy Headquarters said.
- South Korea to establish team to monitor North Korea's nuclear activity Press TV 26 Dec 2017 -- South Korea's Defense Ministry has decided to form a special team to monitor North Korea's nuclear activities as fears grow over a potential nuclear confrontation in the region.
- Seoul to Buy 20 More F-35s Sputnik 21 Dec 2017 -- The South Korean government has solidified a process to acquire 20 more F-35As for the country's air force, JoonAng Ilbo reported Thursday.
- South Korea ready to delay joint US drills to de-escalate with North: Moon Press TV 20 Dec 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in says he is ready to postpone joint military drills with the United States in order to reduce tensions with North Korea, provided that the North "stops its provocations."
- South Korea Wants to Postpone US Military Drills Until After Olympics VOA 20 Dec 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Tuesday that next year's joint military exercises with the United States may be postponed until after the Olympics.
- Seoul Scrambles Jets in Response to Chinese Bombers Entering Its Airspace Sputnik 19 Dec 2017 -- The South Korean Air Force sent fighter jets into the sky Monday in response to an unannounced intrusion of the Korean Air Defense Identification Zone (KADIZ) by five People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) aircraft from China, the Korea Times reports.
- China, ROK agree to advance relations along right track People's Daily 18 Dec 2017 -- BEIJING, Dec. 14 (Xinhua) -- The leaders of China and the Republic of Korea (ROK) on Thursday agreed to advance bilateral relations to ensure the long-term stability of their ties.
- South Korea, China Make Amends, But THAAD Dispute Lingers VOA 15 Dec 2017 -- For his first state visit to China, South Korean President Moon Jae-in came with an entourage of more than 300 business people, an actress who is wildly popular here and heartthrob boy band EXO, which sings in both Korean and Chinese.
- South Korean Arms Sales Jump as Perceived Threats Grow Sputnik 13 Dec 2017 -- Seoul's acceleration of its domestic defense industrial base will help prepare the country for a potential fight against North Korea, but in the meantime, South Korea stands to benefit economically from a massive surge in arms sales.
- Tokyo, Seoul, Washington Practice Detecting North Korean Missiles in Joint Drill Sputnik 12 Dec 2017 -- Japan, South Korea and the US began joint military exercises on Monday to test their ability to track potential ballistic missile launches from North Korea, as tensions on the Korean Peninsula continue to build with few signs of calming.
- US, South Korea, Japan start missile tracking drill amid heightened tensions Press TV 11 Dec 2017 -- The United States, South Korea and Japan have started joint war games amid high tensions on the Korean Peninsula over the North's military program.
- US, Japanese, S Korean Drills Not Contributing to Region's Security – Beijing Sputnik 11 Dec 2017 -- China has repeatedly reiterated its call on the parties involved to consider Beijing-Moscow plan aimed at settling the conflict, which stipulates the simultaneous halt of the US-South Korean war games and North Korea nuclear tests.
- Seoul Reportedly Approves Budget for Kim Jong-un 'Decapitation Unit' Sputnik 08 Dec 2017 -- The first tranche of funding has been approved to South Korea's recently created special forces 'decapitation unit', charged with liquidating the North Korean leadership and destroying key military facilities in the country in the event of war, local media report.
- S Korean President Urges Military to Enhance Defense Capabilities to Deter DPRK Sputnik 08 Dec 2017 -- Seoul fears that in the event of a new war, South Korea's armed forces will not be able to exert an independent influence on the situation.
- China, S. Korea Look to Sync Approach on Pyongyang VOA 08 Dec 2017 -- Analysts say issues surrounding North Korea and tensions on the peninsula will be a top priority when South Korean President Moon Jae-in visits China next week.
- South Korean Media: US B-1B Bombers to Fly Over Peninsula VOA 05 Dec 2017 -- American B-1B Lancer bombers will fly over the Korean Peninsula Wednesday in the combined air force exercise with South Korea, South Korean Yonhap News Agency reported Tuesday citing an unidentified military source.
- DPRK blasts U.S.-S. Korea joint air force exercises as "extremely reckless" People's Daily 05 Dec 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Tuesday blasted as "extremely reckless" the ongoing U.S.-South Korean air force exercises, which are the largest ever in scale of their joint annual drills.
- US military families must evacuate South Korea: Sen. Graham Press TV 04 Dec 2017 -- US military families living in South Korea must leave the country as soon as possible, warns Senator Lindsey Graham, amid a missile standoff with North Korea that the lawmaker says risks military confrontation.
- U.S., South Korean Militaries Launch Joint Air Exercises RFE/RL 04 Dec 2017 -- The U.S. and South Korean militaries have begun their largest-ever joint air exercise with five-day Vigilant Ace maneuvers involving more than 230 aircraft.
- US Senator: Time to Move US Military Families Out of South Korea VOA 03 Dec 2017 -- Senior Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said Sunday that time has come to start moving dependents of U.S. military personnel out of South Korea.
- US sends 6 stealth F-22 jet fighters for S Korea war games Press TV 03 Dec 2017 -- The US military has dispatched six of its Air Force's advanced stealth fighter jets to South Korea to take part in joint war rehearsals and air drills scheduled for next week in yet another provocative show of force against North Korea.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list