Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2017 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- S Korea warns North not to repeat armistice violation Press TV 27 Nov 2017 -- Seoul has warned Pyongyang against violations of an armistice agreement between the two sides, several days after North Korean border guards shot and seriously wounded a fellow soldier as he defected across the border into the South.
- South Korea considers rescheduling 2018 military drill with US Press TV 23 Nov 2017 -- South Korea is mulling over rescheduling a joint annual military exercise with the United States slated for early next year in an attempt not to provoke North Korea during the 2018 Olympic Games, which are to be held in the South at the time.
- South Korea Vying with China as New Benefactor for Philippines VOA 20 Nov 2017 -- South Korea is vying with China to help develop the Philippines, as the aid recipient's president crafts a multi-country foreign policy with no clear favorite.
- North Korea could come to talks while suspending nukes: South Korea Press TV 14 Nov 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has indicated that talks with North Korea could begin without requiring the regime in Pyongyang to destroy its nuclear arsenal as a precondition.
- Chinese, ROK presidents meet on ties, peninsula situation People's Daily 12 Nov 2017 -- President Xi Jinping met here Saturday with the Republic of Korea's President Moon Jae-in on bilateral ties and the Korean Peninsula situation.
- US, South Korean navies launch war games aimed at North Press TV 11 Nov 2017 -- American and South Korean warships have launched war games off the coast of the Korean Peninsula in an unusually strong display of force aimed at North Korea.
- China urges South Korea to resume talks with North Press TV 11 Nov 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has urged South Korea to resume dialogue with the North to find a solution to the ongoing tension on the Korean Peninsula.
- South Korea 'to partake in US Western Pacific drills' Press TV 10 Nov 2017 -- South Korea has announced plans to join a US drill set to be held in the Western Pacific in a show of force against North Korea.
- Anti-Sub Aircraft, Missile Defense on Seoul's Wish List for Major US Arms Sale Sputnik 08 Nov 2017 -- During Trump's visit to South Korea, he convinced South Korean President Moon Jae-in to acquire advanced US weapons systems. Moon told reporters during a joint press conference between the two leaders that Seoul would buy cutting-edge US military assets - a purchase to the tune of "billions of dollars," according to Trump.
- Remarks by President Trump to the National Assembly of the Republic of Korea | Seoul, Republic of Korea The White House 07 Nov 2017
- South Korea on talks with US to buy nuclear submarine, reports say Press TV 07 Nov 2017 -- South Korea is reportedly negotiating with the United States to purchase a nuclear-powered submarine to boost its guard against alleged threats from North Korea, as US President Donald Trump says Seoul will buy US weapons worth "billions of dollars."
- S Korea Mulling Acquisition of US Nuclear Submarines, Spy Satellites - Reports Sputnik 07 Nov 2017 -- It seems that the US president's tour to Asia-Pacific is going to result in a number of deals on arms supplies in the wake of escalated tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
- Trump Headed to South Korea Amid Heightened Tensions With Pyongyang VOA 06 Nov 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump arrives Tuesday in South Korea as part of a regional tour that has been dominated by North Korea's weapons development.
- Majority of North Korean Defectors Living in South Korea Have Fled - Seoul Sputnik 06 Nov 2017 -- North Korean defectors are no longer staying long in their southern neighbor, quitting South Korea for more hospitable nations or avoiding their brother country altogether, according to South Korean government data.
- Trump Heads to South Korea Amid Heightened Tensions on the Peninsula VOA 01 Nov 2017 -- President Donald Trump is heading to Asia for a 12-day, five-nation tour with heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula and new polls showing Americans consider North Korea to be the most immediate threat to the United States.
- NATO Secretary General arrives in the Republic of Korea NATO 01 Nov 2017 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg began a two-day trip to the Republic of Korea on Wednesday (1 November 2017) for talks on common security challenges and deepening the Alliance's partnership with Seoul.
- South Korea will not develop or own nukes: President Moon Press TV 01 Nov 2017 -- South Korea's president says his country will never "develop or own" atomic weapons but will also never recognize North Korea as a nuclear state.
- South Korea Pledges Not to 'Develop or Own' Nuclear Weapons Sputnik 01 Nov 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has commented on the possibility of his country developing its own nuclear weapons amid the ongoing tensions around North Korea. He has also spoken against Washington's unilateral military actions on the Korean Peninsula, adding that Seoul will continue to work to reach peace.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list