Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2017 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Troxell: U.S., South Korean Troops on DMZ 'Ready' AFPS 31 Oct 2017 -- South Korean and American troops on and near the Demilitarized Zone separating North and South Korea are ready, well-supplied, well-trained and prepared, the senior enlisted advisor to the chairman said following a visit over the weekend.
- 'Nothing to Apologize For' - Still, Seoul Won't Install More THAAD Systems Sputnik 31 Oct 2017 -- Seoul will not move forward with deploying more Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile batteries.
- China, ROK agree to bring cooperation back to normal "as soon as possible" People's Daily 31 Oct 2017 -- China and the Republic of Korea (ROK) have been maintaining communications on the Korean Peninsula issue through diplomatic channels, according to the Chinese Foreign Ministry Tuesday.
- China, South Korea agree to improve ties after THAAD row Press TV 31 Oct 2017 -- South Korea and China have agreed to improve ties after a year-long strain over the deployment of an American missile system in South Korea.
- Trilateral Cooperation Needed to Combat North Korean Threat AFPS 31 Oct 2017 -- The world is united against North Korea's nuclear and missile threats and nations are working together to counter the dangers of Kim Jong Un's ambitions, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said Oct. 29 following the trilateral military meeting with South Korean and Japanese leaders.
- Dunford Hosts Trilateral Meeting With South Korean, Japanese Military Leaders AFPS 30 Oct 2017 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff hosted a trilateral conference with South Korean and Japanese military leaders here yesterday.
- South Korea considering no more THAAD deployment: FM Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- South Korea's foreign minister says Seoul is not considering any additional deployment of a controversial US missile system, THAAD, which has sparked anger both inside and outside the country.
- South Korea Not Considering Additional US THAAD Deployments - Foreign Minister Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- Seoul has reiterated the purpose of the THAAD deployment in South Korea amid the aggravation of the North Korean crisis.
- S Korea, China Aim to Ease Dispute Over THAAD Before Leaders Meeting - Reports Sputnik 29 Oct 2017 -- Beijing has been concerned with the deployment of the US-made Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) defense systems in South Korea, as Seoul has made the decision to install more systems on its territory.
- U.S. Official Salutes South Korea's 'Very Strong' Military AFPS 27 Oct 2017 -- The South Korean military is among the best in the world, and it is the largest part of the force that will "fight, tonight" if North Korea attacks, said a U.S. Forces Korea official speaking on background.
- Joint News Conference with Secretary Mattis and South Korean Defense Minister Song Young-moo in Seoul, South Korea DoD 27 Oct 2017 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis; South Korean Defense Minister Song Young-moo
- Secretary Visits DMZ With South Korean Counterpart AFPS 27 Oct 2017 -- Standing in the Demilitarized Zone with South Korean Defense Minister Song Young-moo, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said the visit portrays in strong terms the difference between North Korea and South Korea.
- Mattis in South Korea amid US 'aggressive deployment' Press TV 27 Oct 2017 -- South Korea defends the "aggressive deployment" of US strategic assets on the Korean Peninsula as Pentagon chief James Mattis visits the heavily fortified border between the North and South Korea.
- US Forces Officially Complete THAAD Unit Setup in South Korea - Reports Sputnik 22 Oct 2017 -- The US has been deploying THAAD systems in South Korea since 2016 in response to the continuing missile and nuclear tests performed by the North.
- Watching Pyongyang: Seoul Buys Four Global Hawk Surveillance Drones from US Sputnik 21 Oct 2017 -- The South Korean Air Force (ROKAF) has announced the purchase of four Northrop Grumman RQ-4 Global Hawk unmanned aerial vehicles, advanced drones built on US military contract for surveillance missions.
- South Korean Military Wants Massive Missile Interceptor to Counter DPRK Barrage Sputnik 20 Oct 2017 -- South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff have announced that the military is working on a new missile interceptor that could, in theory, deflect a massive North Korean artillery barrage. Such a technology would be a game-changer on the Korean peninsula.
- South Korea lays out plan to 'destroy' North's military Press TV 20 Oct 2017 -- South Korea's army has revealed plans to destroy North Korea's nuclear and missile sites and command centers in the event of a military confrontation with Pyongyang.
- ROK Navy Welcomes USS Michigan to Busan to Strengthen Partnership NNS 16 Oct 2017 -- The Ohio-class guided-missile submarine USS Michigan (SSGN 727) (Gold) arrived at Busan, Republic of Korea (ROK), Oct. 13, for a routine visit during a regularly scheduled deployment to the Western Pacific.
- Massive US-South Korean Naval War Games Begin Near Korean Peninsula Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- The US and South Korean navies have kicked off a five-day round of military drills, the type of exercise that North Korea has previously responded with ballistic missile tests.
- S. Korea to seek delivery of businessmen's request for visit to DPRK People's Daily 16 Oct 2017 -- South Korea's unification ministry said Monday that it will seek how to deliver the request of South Korean businessmen for their visit to Kaesong, a border town of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), to the DPRK side.
- South Korea Developing Its Own Counter-Rocket System - Reports Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- South Korea has decided not to skate on thin ice by using Israel's Iron Dome system and to develop its own counter-rocket system amid tensions on the Peninsula.
- US, South Korea launch week-long naval drills involving 40 warships Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- South Korea and the United States have kicked off week-long war games in the waters around the restive Korean Peninsula, in a move that could lead to a new surge in tensions with the North.
- Washington's, Seoul's Actions Leave No Chance for Any Talks - N Korean Lawmaker Sputnik 15 Oct 2017 -- A member of the North Korean delegation to the Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union has criticized the upcoming South Korean-US war games amid tensions on the Korean Peninsula. Pyongyang has repeatedly slammed the joint drills in the region, saying that they risk provoking a further escalation.
- US, South Korea to hold joint naval drills Press TV 13 Oct 2017 -- The United States and South Korea are set to hold naval drills next week despite international calls for the de-escalation of tensions with North Korea.
- US Subs' Mystery Missions Off Korean Coast Prompt Panic Sputnik 13 Oct 2017 -- The USS Michigan Ohio-class ballistic missile sub has arrived in Busan, South Korea ahead of large scale US-South Korean exercises next week. Observers are concerned by the fact that another US sub, the USS Tucson, is already present in the area, and that it has been carrying out secret training missions whose purpose remains unclear.
- Chinese Military Urges US to Remove THAAD from S Korea Over Security Concerns Sputnik 13 Oct 2017 -- Amid the mounting tensions over Pyongyang's ongoing nuclear program, South Korea made the decision to install the four remaining THAAD launchers, causing concern in Moscow and Beijing, since this move could deteriorate the situation in the region.
- South Korea ex-president Park's detention extended 6 months Press TV 13 Oct 2017 -- A South Korean court has extended the detention of the country's former President Park Geun-hye, pending a court ruling.
- U.S., Japan, South Korea sharpen skills with nighttime training AFNS 11 Oct 2017 -- U.S. Air Force, Japan Air Self-Defense Force and South Korean air force units sharpened their combat skills during a sequenced bilateral mission near the Sea of Japan Oct. 10, 2017.
- US bombers conduct firing drill over Korean Peninsula Press TV 11 Oct 2017 -- The US military has flown two supersonic B-1B bombers over the Korean peninsula as part of a combined firing drill with Japan and South Korea in the region, fueling tensions with Pyongyang over nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
- Supersonic US B-1B Bombers Fly Near Korean Peninsula in Drill Sputnik 11 Oct 2017 -- US Air Force, South Korean Air Force and Japanese Air-Self Defense jets conducted a military training exercise over the Sea of Japan Tuesday night, according to a US military statement, to hone their "combat skills."
- US THAAD Missile Defense Systems in S Korea Target Russia, China - Moscow Sputnik 11 Oct 2017 -- According to Russian senior diplomat, Washington uses alleged N Korean missile threat as a pretext for deploying THAAD systems close to the borders of Russia and China.
- U.S. strategic bombers fly over Korean Peninsula in show of force against DPRK People's Daily 11 Oct 2017 -- Two U.S. strategic bombers flew over the Korean Peninsula Tuesday night in an apparent show of force against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said Wednesday.
- China calls for better bilateral ties with South Korea amid missile dispute People's Daily 11 Oct 2017 -- Chinese authorities on Tuesday said they hoped that the new Republic of Korea (ROK) ambassador to China would contribute more to the sound development of bilateral ties, sending a friendly signal amid Seoul's deployment of a US missile defense system.
- N Korea hackers in possession of Washington-Seoul war plan: MP Press TV 10 Oct 2017 -- A lawmaker in Seoul says North Korean hackers have managed to steal a series of top-secret military documents, including a joint US-South Korean plan for war with Pyongyang.
- South Korean Authorities: DPRK Hacked Defense Ministry, Stole War Plans Sputnik 10 Oct 2017 -- South Korean lawmakers have claimed that hackers from that other Korea broke (electronically) into the South Korean Defense Ministry and stole large amounts of information - including a plan to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and several of his top lieutenants.
- Report: N. Korean Hackers Steal US-S. Korea Assassination Plan for Kim Jong Un VOA 10 Oct 2017 -- Computer hackers from North Korea are believed to have stolen a large number of classified military documents from South Korea, including plans to "decapitate" the North's leadership.
- South Korea 'develops graphite bomb' against North Press TV 09 Oct 2017 -- South Korea says it has developed a "graphite bomb" to paralyze North Korea's electrical power grid in case of a war.
- Pyongyang Preparations? South Detects 'Some Movement From Missile Facilities' Sputnik 09 Oct 2017 -- South Korean and US forces have ramped up their reconnaissance operations amid fears that North Korea is preparing to test-launch a ballistic missile capable of reaching the US West Coast.
- S Korea, US Allegedly Increase Surveillance of N Korea Sputnik 08 Oct 2017 -- South Korea and the United States are on alert after a Russian lawmaker's warning about Pyongyang's ballistic missile test-firing and are maintaining heightened reconnaissance using U-2S, RC-800 and RF-16 planes.
- S. Korea says in close cooperation with U.S. on DPRK communication channels People's Daily 01 Oct 2017 -- South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Sunday that it was closely cooperating with the United States to keep communication channels with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list