Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2017 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Trump Assails 'Brutal' North Korea Regime, Vows To Protect Allies RFE/RL 30 Jun 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has assailed the "reckless and brutal regime" in North Korea and said there was a "strong, solid plan" to deal with Pyongyang's illicit nuclear and ballistic-missile programs.
- Trump, Moon Present Unified Front Against North Korea VOA 30 Jun 2017 -- President Donald Trump on Friday declared the U.S. has run out of patience with North Korea, as he met with his South Korean counterpart at the White House.
- South Korea, US should offer concessions to North: South Korean president Press TV 29 Jun 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in says Seoul and Washington should offer concessions to North Korea if Pyongyang meets their demand on a temporary halt to its nuclear program before it ultimately dismantles that program.
- On Trump-Moon Agenda: What to Do About Kim Jong Un VOA 29 Jun 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday evening hosts South Korean President Moon Jae-in for cocktails and dinner, a prelude to talks the next day on the "very urgent threat posed by North Korea," according to a senior White House official.
- North Korea vows to kill former South Korea President Park Press TV 28 Jun 2017 -- North Korea has put on its list of wanted people for execution the name of former South Korean President Park Geun-hye, saying she and her spy chief had plotted to kill North Korea's leader.
- Pyongyang Demands Extradition of South Korean Ex-President Park for Execution Sputnik 28 Jun 2017 -- Pyongyang demanded extradition of former South Korean President Park Geun-hye and Lee Byung-ho, the former chief of South Korean National Intelligence Service (NIS), according to local media.
- THAAD Remains Contentious Issue for US-South Korea Summit VOA 27 Jun 2017 -- South Korean officials are voicing support for the controversial U.S. Terminal High Altitude Defense (THAAD) missile defense system in advance of President Moon Jae-in's summit this week with U.S. President Donald Trump, but it remains a contentious issue as lawmakers in Washington voice concerns over deployment delays.
- South Korean president observes test-firing of 800km range home-grown missile ARIRANG 24 Jun 2017 -- "President Moon Jae-in visited the test site of the Agency for Defense Development today to oversee the test-firing of a ballistic missile. The purpose of his visit was to send a clear warning to North Korea for its latest series of provocations."
- Presidential Office Denies Asahi Report on THAAD Deployment KBS World Radio 24 Jun 2017 -- The presidential office Cheong Wa Dae has denied a Japanese newspaper's report Saturday that the United States reiterated its call for South Korea to complete the deployment of the THAAD missile defense system by the end of the year.
- South Korea invites North to participate in 2018 Winter Olympics to boost peace Press TV 24 Jun 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has invited North Korea, his country's archenemy, to the 2018 Winter Olympic Games, saying sports can serve as a peace maker and the invitation is thus aimed at easing incessant tensions between the two neighbors over Pyongyang's missile and nuclear programs.
- THAAD deployment plan revised to bring forward delivery: S.Korea official People's Daily 23 Jun 2017 -- South Korea's presidential Blue House said Friday that plan to deploy the U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) had been revised to bring forward the date of delivery and installation in the country's southeastern region.
- S. Korean ex-president's confidante gets 3-year prison term over corruption scandal People's Daily 23 Jun 2017 -- Choi Soon-sil, a close confidante of impeached South Korean President Park Geun-hye, on Friday got a three-year prison term for one of her corruption charges involving her daughter.
- S.Korean president proposes unconditional dialogue with DPRK if provocations stopped People's Daily 15 Jun 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Thursday proposed an unconditional dialogue with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) if Pyongyang stops any nuclear and missile provocations.
- South Korean military says suspected DPRK drone spies on THAAD site People's Daily 13 Jun 2017 -- A South Korean military source has said that a suspected drone of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), which was found last week near the east inter-Korean border, spied on the U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) deployment site in southeast South Korea.
- Seoul Finds North Korean Drone Spying on THAAD Site Sputnik 13 Jun 2017 -- According to media reports, South Korea has found a crashed small North Korean camera-equipped drone after it spied on the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense.
- S. Korean president emphasizes need for denuclearized Korean Peninsula People's Daily 12 Jun 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Monday reiterated the need to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula during a meeting with the visiting special envoy of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
- 'North Korea's Denuclearization is Matter of Survival for South Korea' Sputnik 12 Jun 2017 -- South Korea reiterated its call for ending Pyongyang's nuclear program.
- North Korea slams delivery of four extra THAAD launchers to South Press TV 10 Jun 2017 -- North Korea has slammed the clandestine delivery of four extra launchers of the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile system to South Korea in May.
- South Korea Confirms Plans to Continue THAAD Deployment Sputnik 09 Jun 2017 -- The new South Korean administration confirmed that it will not abandon the agreement with the US on the deployment of the THAAD system amid claims by the president about the possible suspension of the deployment of the launchers to further study their environmental impact, Chung Eui-yong, national adviser to Korean President Moon Jae-in said.
- South Korean Opposition Urges Faster THAAD Deployment as North Launches Missiles Sputnik 08 Jun 2017 -- South Korea's opposition parties urged the government on Thursday to proceed with the installation of a US missile shield after it was put on hold over environmental impact, local media said.
- South Korea Tries to Slow Walk THAAD VOA 07 Jun 2017 -- Newly elected South Korean President Moon Jae-in is finding that increased diplomacy and legal maneuvers alone will not resolve the dilemma he faces over the U.S. THAAD missile defense system.
- S.Korea to halt additional THAAD deployment until green audit ends People's Daily 07 Jun 2017 -- South Korea's presidential Blue House said Wednesday that the country would suspend an additional deployment of the U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system until a green audit ends in the future.
- South Korea suspends deployment of more THAAD pieces Press TV 07 Jun 2017 -- South Korea suspends any further deployment of a controversial US missile system to the country until an environmental impact assessment ordered by President Moon Jae-in is completed.
- South Korea suspends senior official over US missile system report Press TV 05 Jun 2017 -- South Korea's newly-elected President Moon Jae-in has suspended a senior defense official for deliberately failing to report the "unauthorized" US deployment of additional missile launchers in the country.
- U.S., Japanese, South Korean Army Leaders Discuss Security Cooperation AFPS 02 Jun 2017 -- Army Gen. Robert B. Brown, the U.S. Army Pacific commander, held an early morning trilateral meeting here May 23 with South Korean Army Chief of Staff Gen. Jang Jun-Gyu and Japan Ground Self-Defense Force Chief of Staff Gen. Toshiya Okabe ahead of the 2017 Land Forces in the Pacific Symposium, held May 23-25.
- South Korean Spy Chief Kills Seoul's Domestic Spying Program Sputnik 02 Jun 2017 -- The new director of South Korea's National Intelligence Service (NIS), Suh Hoon, on Thursday ordered the immediate abolition of all domestic intelligence operations.
- China calls for THAAD to be removed from South Korea Press TV 01 Jun 2017 -- China has once again expressed opposition to the deployment of an advanced US missile system in South Korea, calling on Seoul to remove the controversial Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD).
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list