Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2017 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Pentagon: THAAD has capability to defend against missiles, will be upgraded People's Daily 31 May 2017 -- Pentagon spokesperson Captain Jeff Davis told journalists on May 30 that the U.S. Department of Defense has been very transparent in all its actions throughout the deployment of the THAAD missile defense system in South Korea. Davis was responding to the report that four additional launchers were secretly added to the THAAD system, and that President Moon Jae-in has ordered an inquiry into the actions, Yonhap News Agency reported on May 31.
- South Korea military brass deliberately kept president in dark about THAAD: Probe Press TV 31 May 2017 -- A South Korean presidential probe into the "unauthorized" US deployment of additional missile launchers in South Korea has found that the Asian country's own military authorities had deliberately withheld the information from the new president.
- S Korea Vows to Continue to Host US THAAD Amid Probe Into Launchers Delivery Sputnik 31 May 2017 -- Seoul's probe into the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system's deployment is not aimed at conducting a review of the decision of the system's deployment on South Korean territory, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Wednesday in a statement obtained by the Yonhap news agency from presidential spokesman Park Soo-hyun.
- Shocking Revelation: How THAAD Entered South Korea Without President's Approval Sputnik 31 May 2017 -- A scandal is brewing in South Korea in connection with the deployment of the US missile defense system THAAD. It turns out that four units were delivered not only without the official permission of local authorities, but even the head of the South Korean state being notified.
- S.Korean president orders investigation into THAAD launchers delivery People's Daily 30 May 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Tuesday ordered an investigation into the unauthorized delivery of four more mobile launchers of the U.S. missile shield to the country.
- South Korea's new leader orders probe into 'unauthorized' US deployment Press TV 30 May 2017 -- South Korea's new President Moon Jae-in has ordered an investigation into the "unauthorized" deployment of four additional THAAD missile launchers by the United States to the country's soil.
- Seoul to Bring Pyongyang to Dialogue Over Denuclearization Sputnik 30 May 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in stated that the ultimate goal of his government is to bring North Korea to the negotiating table over its denuclearization.
- DPRK urges S. Korea to abolish preparatory committee for reunification People's Daily 30 May 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Monday called on South Korea to abolish its presidential preparatory committee for reunification set up by the former government.
- South Korean President Said Summit With DPRK is Needed - Spy Chief Nominee Sputnik 29 May 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in had agreed on the need for a summit meeting with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) during his presidential election campaign, the spy agency chief nominee said Monday.
- DPRK urges South Korea to cancel THAAD deployment People's Daily 28 May 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has urged South Korea to cancel the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system by the United States, official media said Sunday.
- N Korea issue no good reason for THAAD deployment: Russia, China Press TV 27 May 2017 -- Russia and China have once again voiced opposition to the deployment of a US missile system to South Korea, saying the North Korean nuclear program should not be used as a pretext for military build-up on the troubled peninsula.
- S.Korea approves 1st civilian contact with DPRK under new gov't People's Daily 26 May 2017 -- South Korea on Friday approved the first civilian contact with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) under the new government of President Moon Jae-in, indicating a gradual resumption of inter-Korean exchanges.
- S. Korean President Wants to Help Trump Make Deal with North VOA 24 May 2017 -- Newly-elected South Korean President Moon Jae-in is intent on reopening inter-Korean channels of dialogue and engagement, despite Pyongyang's continued missile tests and U.S. calls for increased sanctions.
- South Korea fires warning shots at object flying from North Korea Press TV 23 May 2017 -- South Koran military has fired warning shots at a suspected drone flying from North Korea amid fresh tensions between the two neighbors over Pyongyang's new ballistic missile test.
- South Korea Fires Warning Shots At Suspected Drone Near North Korean Border RFE/RL 23 May 2017 -- South Korea's military says it has fired warning shots after an unidentified object flew south from North Korea as tensions continue to rise in the region.
- Xi calls for China-ROK relations to return to normal track People's Daily 19 May 2017 -- President Xi Jinping said Friday that China was ready to work with the Republic of Korea (ROK) to return bilateral ties to the normal track.
- S Korea Rejects Tokyo's Complaints Over Seoul's Activities Near Liancourt Rocks Sputnik 18 May 2017 -- Seoul dismissed Tokyo's official objections over the operation of a South Korean research vessel in the area around the disputed Liancourt Rocks in the Sea of Japan, Foreign Ministry spokesman Cho June-hyuck said Thursday.
- Moon's special envoy heads to China for talks on THAAD, North Korea People's Daily 18 May 2017 -- A special envoy of South Korean President Moon Jae-in headed to China on the morning of May 18 for discussions about U.S. missile defense system THAAD and ways to contain North Korea, Yonhap News Agency reported.
- South Korean envoy in China to mend strained ties Press TV 18 May 2017 -- China has asked the new government of South Korea to make efforts toward improving strained relations between the two neighboring countries.
- South Korea's President Moon says war with North highly possible Press TV 17 May 2017 -- South Korea's newly-elected President Moon Jae-in has warned of a "high possibility" of conflict with North Korea amid the latter's rapidly advancing missile and military nuclear programs.
- Moon Warns of War on Korean Peninsula Sputnik 17 May 2017 -- Following the deployment of the cutting-edge US-built THAAD missile system in South Korea and Sunday's successful launch of Pyongyang's most powerful ballistic missile to date, newly elected South Korean President Moon Jae-in has declared that war with the North is a "high possibility."
- Seoul Calls for Reopening of Communication Hotline With Pyongyang Sputnik 17 May 2017 -- South Korean Unification Ministry's spokesman Lee Duk-haeng said that South Korea calls for reopening of the intra-Korean communication channel that was cut off in 2016 after North Korea's nuclear and missile tests.
- Seoul May Launch Preemptive Strike in Case of 'Imminent' Pyongyang Attack Sputnik 16 May 2017 -- South Korea may carry out a preemptive strike if it becomes evident that North Korea will launch a massive missile attack against the country, South Korean Defense Minister Han Min-koo said Tuesday.
- New South Korean President Tested by Latest North Korean Missile VOA 15 May 2017 -- Just days after being elected, South Korean President Moon Jae-in faced his first North Korean provocation, putting an early test to his stated policy to pursue peaceful dialogue with his defiant nuclear neighbor.
- New govt seeks vote on THAAD People's Daily 13 May 2017 -- South Korea's ruling Minjoo Party said Friday that it will push for public hearing on the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system to stop conflicts over the issue.
- North Korean Missile Test Condemned by US, Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing VOA 14 May 2017 -- North Korea launched a missile Sunday in an unusual high-altitude ballistic path that indicated it might be a new two-stage liquid-fueled rocket capable of flying up to 4,500 kilometers.
- South Korean Leader Urges 'Constructive Role' From Putin On Tensions With North RFE/RL 13 May 2017 -- South Korea's newly elected President Moon Jae-in has urged Russian President Vladimir Putin to play a "constructive role" in resolving tensions with North Korea's over its threats to use nuclear weapons.
- South Korea's Ruling Party Calls for Public Hearing On US THAAD Deployment Sputnik 12 May 2017 -- On Friday South Korea's ruling Party said that it will push for parliamentary hearings to help settle issues surrounding the US' deployment of its Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system (THAAD) in the Gimcheon and Senjou counties.
- China willing to work with S. Korea, Xi tells Moon in phone conversation People's Daily 11 May 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping congratulated South Korea's newly-elected President Moon Jae-in in a phone conversation on Thursday.
- S Korea ready for talks with North under right conditions: Intelligence chief Press TV 11 May 2017 -- The new head of South Korea's National Intelligence Service (NIS), who is credited with the arrangement of two inter-Korean summits in the 2000s, stresses the need for a Seoul-Pyongyang meeting, but says it would be possible only when calm returns to the region.
- South Korea to Send Envoys to China to Discuss THAAD, North Korea VOA 11 May 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in's office said Thursday he plans to send a delegation to Beijing to discuss North Korea's nuclear program and China's concerns about a U.S. missile defense system being deployed in South Korea.
- S. Korea's new president to have 'serious negotiations' with China and US on THAAD People's Daily 10 May 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in said he would have "serious negotiations" with China and the United States over the deployment of the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system in a speech after taking an oath as the country's 19th president at the National Assembly building in Seoul on Wednesday.
- Moon confirmed winner of election, starts duties of S. Korean presidency People's Daily 10 May 2017 -- South Korea's National Election Commission (NEC) on Wednesday morning declared Moon Jae-in the winner of the presidential election and Moon started duties of presidency right after the confirmation.
- New S.Korean president appoints PM, spy agency chief, presidential staff People's Daily 10 May 2017 -- BUG: the mark does not exist in the description file
- Xi congratulates Moon Jae-in's election as South Korean president People's Daily 10 May 2017 -- President Moon Jae-in of South Korea on Wednesday appointed new prime minister, intelligence agency chief, presidential chief of staff and chief of the presidential security service.
- New South Korean president vows to tackle North Korean nuclear issue, THAAD tensions People's Daily 10 May 2017 -- The newly elected South Korean president, Moon Jae-in, pledged at his inauguration on May 10 that he would take action to resolve the North Korean nuclear issue as well as the THAAD-related tensions between Seoul, Washington and Beijing.
- Moon Jae-in sworn in as South Korea's president Press TV 10 May 2017 -- South Korea's new president, Moon Jae-in, has been sworn in a day after he was declared president in a decisive election victory.
- Trump, New South Korean President Agree to Cooperate Against North Korean Nuclear Threat VOA 10 May 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump and new South Korean President Moon Jae-in agreed in a phone call Wednesday to closely cooperate in dealing with North Korea's nuclear weapons development program.
- Moon Jae-in Winner Declares Victory in S. Korean Election VOA 09 May 2017 -- Liberal Moon Jae-in has declared victory in South Korea's presidential election, vowing to represent all of the country's people.
- Moon Jae-in leads exit polls in S. Korean presidential election by large margin People's Daily 09 May 2017 -- Moon Jae-in of the liberal Minjoo Party led media exit polls in South Korea's presidential election by a large margin, an official survey from three local broadcasters showed Tuesday.
- Abe Wants to Strengthen Cooperation With Seoul to Counter N Korea Threat Sputnik 09 May 2017 -- The Japanese prime minister said that Tokyo hoped to consolidate cooperation with Seoul on addressing the threat posed by North Korea.
- South Koreans Demand Injunction Against THAAD Deployment in Seongju Sputnik 08 May 2017 -- On Monday more than 500 residents living near the US' Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system (THAAD) deployment site in South Korea filed a petition for an injunction to stop further construction and to block its use.
- Pyongyang Calls for Easing of Hostility With Seoul Before Presidential Election Sputnik 08 May 2017 -- One day before South Koreans will head to the polls to elect their next president, following the fallout of former President Park Geun-hye's impeachment, a prominent North Korean newspaper called for tensions to be "put to an end."
- South Korea Poised for Change Election VOA 08 May 2017 -- South Korea will elect a new president Tuesday (May 9) following a year of political upheaval in which scandal, protests and impeachment have the public demanding transparency and change.
- DPRK says latest U.S.-South Korea joint drills "unprecedentedly hideous" People's Daily 06 May 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) said Saturday that the latest U.S.-South Korean joint military drills were "unprecedentedly hideous and most adventurous ones" in several decades.
- China should take military action against THAAD deployment: military expert People's Daily 03 May 2017 -- China should take military countermeasures against THAAD deployment, a Chinese military expert said after the defense ministries of South Korea and the U.S. confirmed on May 2 that the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system is now operational in South Korea. The system reportedly has the initial capability to intercept North Korean missiles.
- South Korea's likely future president concerned about US missile system Press TV 03 May 2017 -- South Korea's leading presidential candidate has criticized the United States for hastily installing a controversial missile system in his country and circumventing the nation's democratic process.
- U.S. forces say THAAD in South Korea "operational" amid protests, hunger strike People's Daily 02 May 2017 -- The U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) said Tuesday that the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system, which was deployed last week in southeast South Korea, is "operational."
- China urges immediate halt to US missile system in South Korea Press TV 02 May 2017 -- Beijing has called for the immediate suspension of a controversial American anti-missile system deployed to South Korea hours after Washington announced the system, known as THAAD, is now operational.
- US Missile Defense System in South Korea Operational VOA 02 May 2017 -- The U.S. military says a missile defense system being set up in South Korea is now capable of intercepting missiles fired from North Korea.
- THAAD missile defense system operational in S Korea Press TV 01 May 2017 -- The US controversial missile defense system, known as THAAD, has become operational in South Korea, despite China's criticism.
- CIA Chief in South Korea for Talks on Nuclear Threat Posed by North VOA 01 May 2017 -- U.S. Central Intelligence Agency chief Mike Pompeo is in Seoul for talks with South Korean intelligence officials as top U.S. officials continue to express deep concerns about North Korea's nuclear weapons development program.
- CIA chief in South Korea for 'internal visit' Press TV 01 May 2017 -- CIA Director Mike Pompeo has traveled to South Korea for what the US embassy there described as an "internal meeting," as North Korea remains defiant in the face of US threats to drop its development of ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons.
- DPRK blames U.S., South Korea for tension on Korean Peninsula People's Daily 01 May 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) said on Sunday that the U.S.-South Korea joint exercises and U.S. buildup of nuclear assets on the Korean Peninsula are the root cause of high tension here.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list