Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2017 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- U.S., Republic of Korea team up for MCM portion of Foal Eagle NNS 03 Apr 2017 -- U.S. mine countermeasures, surface and expeditionary assets and counterparts from the Republic of Korea navy wrapped up the mine countermeasures portion of the bilateral exercise Foal Eagle March 29.
- South Korea, Japan, US start 3-day joint exercise on Korean Peninsula Press TV 03 Apr 2017 -- The United States, South Korea, and Japan have reportedly started a three-day joint military exercise on the Korean Peninsula to simulate countering a North Korean submarine-launched missile attack.
- Arrest warrant approved against South Korea's ex-president Park Press TV 31 Mar 2017 -- South Korea's embattled former president Park Geun-hye has been incarcerated at a detention center following a court decision to approve a warrant for her arrest.
- South Korean Court Approves Arrest Warrant for Ex-President Park Geun-hye Sputnik 30 Mar 2017 -- The South Korean court has approved an arrest warrant for former President Park Geun-hye over the corruption probe, Yonhap news agency reported.
- U.S Navy Divers achieve milestone, embark aboard Korean ship for SALVEX 2017 NNS 30 Mar 2017 -- U.S. Navy and Republic of Korea (ROK) Navy diving and salvage experts wrapped up nearly two weeks of advanced training during Salvage Exercise (SALVEX) Korea 2017, March 30.
- S. Korean prosecutors seek to arrest ex-president Park over corruption scandal People's Daily 27 Mar 2017 -- South Korean prosecutors on Monday sought to arrest Park Geun-hye, the country's former president who was impeached in a historic ruling earlier this month, over a corruption scandal embroiling Park and her longtime confidante.
- South Korea prosecutors seek ex-president Park's arrest Press TV 27 Mar 2017 -- South Korean prosecutors are seeking an arrest warrant for ousted president Park Geun-hye, who has become vulnerable to prosecution and potential incarceration following the loss of her political immunity.
- South Korea Prosecutors Seek Detention Warrant for Ousted President Park VOA 27 Mar 2017 -- Prosecutors in South Korea Monday requested an arrest warrant for impeached former President Park Geun-hye on charges related to the alleged multimillion-dollar bribery scandal that forced her from office.
- US secretly sending strategic weapons to South Korea: Report Press TV 26 Mar 2017 -- The US has been secretly moving strategic weapons to South Korea in order to threaten North Korea, a US military official says, noting that Washington has taken a more aggressive approach towards Pyongyang under President Donald Trump
- Key Resolve reaffirms strategic US, South Korea alliance AFNS 24 Mar 2017 -- South Korea and U.S. military forces participated in an annual command and control exercise called Key Resolve (KR17) held across the Korean Peninsula March 8 to 23, 2017.
- S.Korean prosecutors end interrogation of ousted President Park People's Daily 22 Mar 2017 -- South Korean prosecutors ended a marathon interrogation of ousted President Park Geun-hye late on Tuesday night over a corruption scandal that led to her impeachment.
- South Korea's ousted president questioned by prosecutors Press TV 21 Mar 2017 -- South Korea's dismissed president has been questioned by prosecutors in connection with a high-profile corruption scandal that culminated in her impeachment and removal from power.
- Beijing's Anti-THAAD Moves Sour China Views in South Korea VOA 21 Mar 2017 -- A new public opinion poll shows growing anti-China sentiment in South Korea over reports of economic retaliation by Beijing against the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system.
- U.S., South Korean Navies to Hold Partnership Exercises AFPS 20 Mar 2017 -- U.S. Navy ships assigned to Commander, Task Force 30 and CTF-70 are scheduled to begin a series of exercises with the South Korean navy tomorrow to strengthen maritime interoperability and tactics, techniques and procedures.
- Residents of South Korean Jeju Island Outraged With US Military Base Plans Sputnik 17 Mar 2017 -- Residents of the South Korean resort island of Jeju strongly object to the military setting up of a base on it with the possible deployment of the US Navy's newest Zumwalt destroyer "to deter North Korean aggression," a source in the security service of the island told Sputnik Korea.
- Stripped of immunity, South Korea's ex-president faces prosecution Press TV 15 Mar 2017 -- South Korean prosecutors have summoned ousted president Park Geun-hye for questioning over her role in the corruption scandal that has led to her ouster.
- South Korea prosecutors to summon ex-president Park as criminal suspect Press TV 14 Mar 2017 -- South Korean prosecutors have announced plans to summon former president Park Geun-hye as a criminal suspect following the confirmation of her legislative impeachment and dismissal from office.
- US deploying Gray Eagle drone system in South Korea Press TV 13 Mar 2017 -- The US military is moving to permanently deploy an attack drone system at an air base in South Korea, which could target North Korean military installations.
- US to Deploy Gray Eagle Armed Drone Squadron to South Korea - Army Sputnik 13 Mar 2017 -- The United States is deploying a permanent squadron of General Atomics MQ-1C Gray Eagle drones to an air base in South Korea, US Forces Korea said in a press release on Monday.
- Ousted South Korean president leaves Blue House, apologizes to nation Press TV 12 Mar 2017 -- South Korea's impeached President Park Geun-Hye has issued an apology for not completing her full term as she left the presidential complex, two days after the Constitutional Court voted to remove her from office.
- Impeached South Korean President Park Leaves Presidential Palace Sputnik 12 Mar 2017 -- South Korea's impeached President Park Geun-hye officially left the presidential residence on Sunday.
- Ousted South Korean Sorry for Failing to Fulfill Her Duty VOA 12 Mar 2017 -- South Korea's ousted former president Park Geun-hye apologized Sunday to her supporters for "failing to fulfill my duty as president."
- THAAD unaffected by S Korea political crisis Press TV 11 Mar 2017 -- The US military says it will push ahead with plans to deploy the THAAD missile system in South Korea despite the ongoing political turmoil in the East Asian country.
- S. Korean president permanently removed from office as court upholds impeachment People's Daily 10 Mar 2017 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye was ousted as the country's head of state after on Friday the constitutional court upheld a motion to impeach the scandal-ridden leader.
- Impeachment of South Korean President Approved by Constitutional Court Sputnik 10 Mar 2017 -- The South Korean Constitutional Court has upheld the parliament decision on impeaching the president.
- Impeached Leader Was South Koreas's First Female President VOA 10 Mar 2017 -- Park Geun-hye, the recently ousted president of South Korea, was the country's first female head of state.
- South Korea tourism faces losing revenues due to strained China ties Press TV 10 Mar 2017 -- South Korea's tourism faces losing billions of dollars of revenues due to strained relations between Seoul and Beijing over the deployment of a US missile system.
- South Korean Businesses in China Feel Backlash Over Seoul Missile Deployment VOA 10 Mar 2017 -- A growing number of South Korean companies are feeling the impact from China's backlash over Seoul's decision to begin deployment of a U.S.-made missile defense system at home. Chinese employees of South Korean companies and those working for related industries are also getting caught up in the diplomatic spat.
- South Korean Court Upholds Presidential Impeachment; Park Ousted VOA 09 Mar 2017 -- The South Korean Constitutional Court has voted unanimously to uphold the impeachment of President Park Guen-hye.
- Seoul's THAAD gamble to rock regional security People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- As Seoul quickens its steps to set up a U.S. missile defense system, conservative political elements in South Koreaare putting the vital security interests of the country and the region at risk for their own gains.
- China reiterates opposition to THAAD deployment in ROK People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- China on Tuesday reiterated its opposition to the deployment of a U.S. missile shield in the Republic of Korea (ROK).
- Deployment of US THAAD missile system to S Korea poses threat against China Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- The recent deployment of a US missile system to South Korea not only poses a threat against North Korea, but also threatens the whole region, particularly China, experts say.
- China Floats Compromise to Defuse Korea Tensions VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- The United Nations Security Council is holding a closed-door briefing Wednesday on North Korea's latest ballistic missile launches, as China calls for North Korea, South Korea and the United States to take steps to avoid a "head-on collision."
- US Calls China's Objections to Defense System in S. Korea 'Unwarranted' VOA 07 Mar 2017 -- A senior U.S. diplomat said Tuesday that China's objections to deployment of a controversial U.S. missile defense system in South Korea were "unwarranted," and he urged China to redirect its response to "a better use."
- THAAD Deployment Begins Amid Increasing Tensions Between China and South Korea VOA 07 Mar 2017 -- The U.S. deployed the first elements of its Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system to South Korea Tuesday, one day after North Korea launched at least four ballistic missiles, three of which landed within 350 km of the Japanese mainland.
- Pacom Deploys Defensive Anti-Missile System to Korean Peninsula AFPS 07 Mar 2017 -- U.S. Pacific Command has deployed the first elements of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system, known as THAAD, to South Korea, implementing the U.S.-South Korean alliance's July decision to bring the defensive capability to the Korean Peninsula.
- First parts of THAAD system arrive in ROK, incense Chinese citizens People's Daily 07 Mar 2017 -- The deployment of a U.S. missile shield in South Korea has gotten underway with the arrival of part of the Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) battery, Seoul's defense ministry said on Tuesday, Xinhua reported.
- S.Korea launches de facto THAAD deployment despite continued oppositions People's Daily 07 Mar 2017 -- South Korea has hurriedly launched the process of deploying a U.S. missile shield to its soil despite continued, repeated oppositions from neighboring countries and residents.
- THAAD deployment in S.Korea begins with arrival of part of battery amid protest People's Daily 07 Mar 2017 -- The deployment of a U.S. missile shield in South Korea has begun with the arrival of a part of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) battery, Seoul's defense ministry said Tuesday.
- China, Russia slam US missile system deployment in South Korea Press TV 07 Mar 2017 -- China and Russia have slammed the deployment of a US missile system to South Korea, with Beijing vowing to defend its security interests.
- Seoul, Washington Accelerate THAAD System Deployment Amid Pyongyang Provocations Sputnik 07 Mar 2017 -- The United States and South Korea started to speed up deployment of the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system, following the current aggravation of the situation in the region, with parts of THAAD arrived at the Osan Air Base, Gyeonggi province, on Monday.
- S Korean Opposition Slams Gov't Over 'Unilateral' Decision to Deploy THAAD Sputnik 07 Mar 2017 -- South Korean opposition parties on Tuesday criticized the government's "unilateral" decision to install the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system on the territory of the country.
- S. Korean acting president has phone talks with U.S. president over DPRK missile launches People's Daily 07 Mar 2017 -- South Korean Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn, who is serving as acting president, held telephone talks with U.S. President Donald Trump over the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s missile test-launches, Yonhap news agency reported Tuesday, citing multiple government sources.
- Trump speaks with Japanese, South Korean leaders on DPRK's latest missile tests People's Daily 07 Mar 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday spoke separately over phone with leaders of Japan and South Korea to discuss the latest test-launch of ballistic missiles by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), according to the White House.
- US Deploys First Elements of THAAD to South Korea VOA 07 Mar 2017 -- The U.S. has deployed the first elements of its Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system to South Korea to counter North Korea's aggressive behavior, U.S. Pacific command officials said late Monday.
- S. Korean special prosecutors say President Park ordered support for Samsung power transfer People's Daily 06 Mar 2017 -- South Korean special prosecutors, who wrapped up their independent investigation last week into a corruption scandal embroiling President Park Geun-hye, said on Monday that President Park had ordered support for the power transfer of Samsung Group.
- South Korea quadruples reward for defectors from North Press TV 06 Mar 2017 -- South Korea has quadrupled its reward for North Korean defectors who have secret information about their reclusive home country.
- Seoul 'Strongly Condemns' Pyongyang's Rocket Launches Sputnik 06 Mar 2017 -- The government of South Korea strongly condemned North Korea's launches of four ballistic missiles, calling them a serious threat to peace and security in the region.
- Tokyo, Seoul Concerned Over New Pyongyang's Missile Launches Sputnik 06 Mar 2017 -- Japan and South Korea expressed concern on Monday over the launch of four missiles by North Korea in the direction of the Sea of Japan.
- South Korea Quadruples Cash Rewards for North Korean Defectors Sputnik 05 Mar 2017 -- South Korea is going to increase the rewards it offers North Korean defectors arriving with valuable information or technology by fourfold, fivefold and more, with some reaching more than $850,000.
- S Korea's Embassy in China Launches Task Force to Deal With Anti-THAAD Policies Sputnik 04 Mar 2017 -- South Korea's Embassy in China announced on Saturday that it established a team to handle Beijing's economic policies aimed to protest Seoul's decision to deploy the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system in South Korea, local media reported Saturday.
- South Korean Businesses Hit by Chinese Backlash Over Missile Defense Sputnik 04 Mar 2017 -- Shares of South Korean companies tumbled on Friday after what are perceived to be retaliatory acts by China against the deployment of a US-built missile system outside of Seoul.
- China Technically Capable of 'Blinding' US THAAD Radars in S Korea Sputnik 04 Mar 2017 -- On Thursday, the United States Department of State expressed concerns over China's retaliatory measures against South Korean businesses over the deployment of THAAD missile defenses.
- U.S., South Korea Launch Annual Foal Eagle Exercise AFPS 03 Mar 2017 -- U.S. and South Korean military members joined together March 1 to participat
- China 'seriously concerned' by US-South Korea drills Press TV 03 Mar 2017 -- China says it has communicated its concerns over ongoing military maneuvers by the United States and South Korea.
- S.Korea launches process of providing land for THAAD deployment People's Daily 02 Mar 2017 -- South Korea has launched the process of providing land to the U.S. forces stationed here to deploy the U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system in South Korean soil, the Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- Deployment of THAAD undermines public support for cooperation between China and South Korea：MOC People's Daily 02 Mar 2017 -- The Chinese government attaches great importance to bilateral economic and trade cooperation with the Republic of Korea (ROK).
- S. Korean. U.S. security, defense officials hold phone talks on THAAD, military drills People's Daily 01 Mar 2017 -- Senior security and defense officials of South Korea and the United States held phone talks on Wednesday to talks about the deployment of the U.S. missile shield in South Korean soil and the launch of joint military exercises.
- US, S Korean Financial Regulators Discuss Expanding Sanctions Against N Korea Sputnik 02 Mar 2017 -- South Korea's Minister of Strategy and Finance Yoo Il-ho held a telephone conversation with US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to discuss ways to expand sanctions against Pyongyang in the aftermath of the murder of Kim Jong Nam, the reputed half-brother of North Korea's leader, the South Korean finance ministry said Thursday.
- Seven Nations Begin Largest Disaster Relief Preparedness Exercise in Pacific Sputnik 01 Mar 2017 -- The exercise includes civilian and military participants from the United States, United Kingdom, South Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam and Sri Lanka, which is participating for the first time.
- South Korea, US begin annual drills as North prepares for 'merciless' counterstrike Press TV 01 Mar 2017 -- South Korean and US forces have kicked off massive joint military drills, which are held annually, as North Korea alerts its armed forces to prepare for a "merciless" counterstrike against potential enemy aggression.
- Russia, China to intensify opposition to US missile System in South Korea Press TV 01 Mar 2017 -- Beijing says China and Russia have agreed to step up their coordinated efforts in opposition to the planned deployment in South Korea of a US missile system, insisting the move will harm regional security.
- South Korea's Acting President Vows to Get Tough on North Amid Escalation Sputnik 01 Mar 2017 -- South Korea's Acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn pledged on Wednesday to take a hard line on the North, saying it would answer for its provocations, local media reported.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list