Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2016 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Head of South Korea's pension fund arrested in probe Press TV 28 Dec 2016 -- South Korean authorities have arrested the head of the state-run pension fund as part of an expanding investigation into the alleged involvement of President Park Geun-hye in a fraud scandal.
- S.Korean presidential hopeful raises doubt about THAAD capability, aim behind deployment People's Daily 27 Dec 2016 -- A rising South Korean presidential hopeful in the opposition bloc raised doubts about the capability of Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) and the possibly hidden aim behind the agreed-upon deployment of the U.S. missile defense system in South Korean soil.
- Outgoing UN chief reclaims top spot in S.Korean presidential polls People's Daily 26 Dec 2016 -- Ban Ki-moon, outgoing UN Secretary General, whose second five-year term is set to end by the end of this year, reclaimed the top spot in recent South Korean presidential polls, local survey showed on Monday.
- Top Park Aides' Homes Raided by South Korean Special Prosecutors Sputnik 26 Dec 2016 -- South Korean special prosecutors raided the homes of top aides to President Park Geun-hye as part of their investigation into the scandal that has already seen Park impeached.
- Pyongyang Slams UN Chief's Ambition to Become Next South Korean President Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- North Korea subjected the UN Secretary-General's Ban Ki-moon's ambition to run for president in South Korea in 2017 to severe criticism.
- South Korea's Anti-Presidential Breakaway Faction to Create New Party Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- A faction from South Korea's Saenuri Party, who earlier vowed to leave the ruling group, are to set up a new party, with their first meeting scheduled for Friday, local media reported.
- What Effect will Park's Impeachment have on Policies? VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye awaits an uncertain political fate as her impeachment is adjudicated by the country's Constitutional Court. While an overwhelming number of South Koreans want her removed from office, it's unclear how these events will impact Park's programs, like the controversial "comfort women" agreement with Japan, the bilateral intelligence-sharing pact with Tokyo, and deployment of Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD), a United States high-altitude missile defense system.
- S. Korean opposition presidential hopefuls beat Ban Ki-moon in virtual race: poll People's Daily 22 Dec 2016 -- Two major presidential hopefuls in South Korea's biggest opposition party beat outgoing UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in a simulated presidential election, a local survey showed on Thursday.
- South Korea Constitutional Court begins impeachment hearings for president Press TV 22 Dec 2016 -- South Korea's Constitutional Court has commenced deliberations on a legislative impeachment vote against the country's embattled President Park Geun-hye over a major corruption scandal.
- S Korea Conducts Drills to Practice Repelling Potential Attacks by Pyongyang Sputnik 22 Dec 2016 -- The South Korean military conducted combined drills using tanks and armored vehicles to practice repelling potential attacks by North Korea in the winter time, local media reported Thursday.
- Scores of S.Korean ruling party lawmakers agree to defect after presidential impeachment People's Daily 21 Dec 2016 -- Scores of South Korean ruling party lawmakers agreed on Wednesday to defect from the Saenuri Party as strife deepened between factions loyal to and against impeached President Park Geun-hye.
- US to regularly deploy strategic weapons to South Korea: Officials Press TV 21 Dec 2016 -- The United States will regularly deploy strategic weapons to South Korea to counter nuclear and missile threats from North Korea, US and South Korean defense officials said in a joint statement.
- South Korea inspectors raid major pension fund office linked to fraud scandal Press TV 21 Dec 2016 -- South Korean inspectors have raided the National Pension Service (NPS) office as part of a probe into a high-profile fraud scandal that has prompted the impeachment of President Park Geun-hye.
- Confidante of S Korean president awaiting trial over graft charges Press TV 18 Dec 2016 -- The trial into the case of a confidante of South Korean President Park Geun-hye will open over a corruption scandal that has rocked the government.
- S Korean Probe Team to Launch Independent Inquiry Into Park Corruption Scandal Sputnik 18 Dec 2016 -- South Korea's independent probe team will launch a full-fledged investigation into the corruption scandal involving President Park Geun-hye and her "secret adviser" Choi Soon-sil, according to Yonhap.
- South Korean President's Team Says Impeachment Procedures Lack Legal Grounds Sputnik 18 Dec 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye's representatives claimed impeachment procedures against her were illegal and lacked sufficient evidence of wrongdoing.
- South Korea Leader's Supporters, Opponents Clash in Seoul Rallies VOA 18 Dec 2016 -- Tensions were high as supporters of impeached South Korean President Park Geun-hye and opponents of Park, who had gathered in much larger numbers, rallied in Seoul on Saturday.
- Massive pro-, anti-Park protests held in S Korean capital Press TV 17 Dec 2016 -- Massive crowds of protesters have converged on the streets of the South Korean capital Seoul for the eighth straight week demanding the swift ouster of the country's president amid a counter-rally by her supporters.
- S.Korean frontrunner in presidential poll argues for delay of THAAD deployment People's Daily 16 Dec 2016 -- South Korea's frontrunner in presidential polls on Thursday made out his case that the deployment of a U.S. missile defense system in his country must be delayed to allow the next government to review it.
- South Korean president Park's impeachment was illegal: Lawyers Press TV 16 Dec 2016 -- Lawyers for South Korea's suspended president Park Geun-hye say a parliament vote to impeach her has no legal foundation and the country's constitutional court should restore her powers.
- No Changes Expected in US Plans to Deploy Anti-Ballistic Missiles in South Korea Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The deployment of an anti-ballistic missile system by the United States in South Korea is expected to proceed despite the recent impeachment of South Korea's president, according to White House spokesperson Josh Earnest.
- Post-Impeachment South Korean Presidential Race Begins VOA 15 Dec 2016 -- A major South Korean opposition leader declared his intention to run for president on Thursday, if Park Geun-hye's impeachment is upheld in court, and promised to modify some of her hard-line policies on North Korea.
- S Korean Court Demands Gov't Release Results of US Base Water Pollution Probe Sputnik 14 Dec 2016 -- A South Korea appeals court has ordered the government to disclose the results of the water pollution monitoring probes, which have been conducted near the US Forces Korea (USFK) army base, local media reported Wednesday.
- South Korea to Build Own Long-Range Air-to-Ground Missiles - Reports Sputnik 14 Dec 2016 -- South Korea will develop long-range air-to-ground missiles to effectively defend itself from growing North Korean military threats, South Korean agency Yonhap reported Wednesday with reference to the South Korean Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA).
- S Korea Starts Construction of New Submarine Equipped With Ballistic Missiles Sputnik 14 Dec 2016 -- South Korea started on Wednesday construction of a new 3,000-tonne submarine that could be equipped with ballistic missiles, local media reported.
- S.Korea Requests More US Surveillance Assets to Tackle N.Korean Threats Sputnik 12 Dec 2016 -- The South Korean Defense Ministry said in a parliamentary report that it had significantly increased the monitoring of Pyongyang's suspicious activities and asked for US assistance on the issue, according to local media.
- S Korea Slams North for Drills Simulating Attack on Presidential Office in Seoul Sputnik 12 Dec 2016 -- According to media reports, Seoul has criticized Pyongyang for its military exercises simulating an attack on the official residence of the South Korean president in Seoul.
- South Korea prosecutors indict ex-presidential aides in scandal probe Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- South Korean prosecutors have charged two former senior presidential aides as part of an investigation into a massive corruption scandal that led to the impeachment of president Park Geun-hye.
- Impeached S.Korean president to gravely accept parliamentary decision People's Daily 09 Dec 2016 -- Impeached South Korean President Park Geun-hye said that she is gravely accepting the parliamentary decision to remove her from office after her impeachment motion was passed through the National Assembly with an overwhelming support.
- S.Korean Prime Minister to Assume Leadership in Wake of President's Impeachment Sputnik 09 Dec 2016 -- South Korean Prime Minster Hwang Kyo-ahn will serve as the country's interim leader after the parliament voted on Friday in favor of impeachment of President Park Geun-hye, local media reported.
- South Korean President Accepts Parliament's Impeachment Vote Sputnik 09 Dec 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye said Friday she accepted the parliament decision to impeach her.
- South Korean Parliament Votes in Favor of President's Impeachment Sputnik 09 Dec 2016 -- The South Korean parliament has voted in favor on the issue of President Park Geun-hye's impeachment.
- S.Korean lawmakers overwhelmingly pass presidential impeachment bill People's Daily 09 Dec 2016 -- South Korean parliament overwhelmingly passed a historic bill Friday to impeach scandal-scarred President Park Geun-hye as it gained the two-thirds majority vote.
- South Korea lawmakers pass impeachment motion against Park Press TV 09 Dec 2016 -- South Korean lawmakers have approved an impeachment motion against President Park Geun-hye, stripping her of sweeping executive powers over a corruption scandal that has rattled her administration.
- ROK, US Navies Discuss Methods to Strengthen Partnership during 9th Strategic Dialogue NNS 08 Dec 2016 -- Senior leaders from the U.S. and Republic of Korea navies met at Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Korea to discuss ways to increase the combined naval partnership.
- South Korea opposition introduces motion to impeach Pres. Park Press TV 08 Dec 2016 -- South Korean opposition parties have introduced a motion in the parliament to impeach embattled President Park Geun-hye over an influence-peddling scandal.
- South Korean Parliament Introduces Bill to Impeach President Park Sputnik 08 Dec 2016 -- The South Korean parliament introduced a bill to impeach President Park Geun-hye amid a political and corruption scandal and officially set up the date for the vote, Yonhap news agency reported on Thursday.
- Woman behind South Korea political scandal rejects order to testify Press TV 07 Dec 2016 -- The woman at the center of a massive political scandal in South Korea has rejected an order to appear before a parliamentary committee to testify in the case.
- Key Figure in South Korea Scandal Refuses to Testify VOA 07 Dec 2016 -- The woman at the heart of a multi-million dollar South Korean corruption scandal involving President Park Geun-hye has frustrated lawmakers by refusing to testify before parliament.
- New UN report urges action to end 'unimaginable suffering' for separated families on Korean peninsula UN News 07 Dec 2016 -- A new report from the United Nations human rights wing calls attention to more than 60 years of separation between families on the Korean peninsula, and urges action in order to alleviate the suffering of families.
- South Korea Suspects Pyongyang of Hacking its Cyber Command Sputnik 06 Dec 2016 -- South Korean cyber command have likely been hacked with North Korea being suspected of committing the alleged attack, a South Korean Defense Ministry official said on Tuesday.
- No 'Smoking Gun' Uncovered at South Korean Presidential Scandal Hearing VOA 06 Dec 2016 -- The powerful heads of South Korea's top conglomerates on Tuesday denied they were buying influence or preferential treatment by donating millions of dollars to the two foundations that are at the center of President Park Geun-hye's sudden political collapse.
- South Korean tycoons line up for biggest corruption probe Press TV 05 Dec 2016 -- The South Korean parliament has kicked off an unprecedented series of hearings that will see top business heads grilled over their alleged connections with President Park Geun-hye's influence-peddling scandal.
- Seoul Fears North Korean Provocation Amid Political Crisis, Ready to Repel Sputnik 05 Dec 2016 -- Joint Chiefs of Staff spokesman Jeon Ha-kyu said any North Korean provocation would be equal "to self-destruction."
- South Korea to Increase Missile Defense Spending by $143Mln in 2017 Sputnik 05 Dec 2016 -- South Korea will increase spending on missile defense systems by $143 million in 2017 amid North Korean threat.
- Faction of South Korean Ruling Party Ready to Back President's Impeachment Sputnik 04 Dec 2016 -- South Korea's ruling Saenuri Party announced the support of the impeachment of President Park Geun-hye amid a corruption scandal around her close friend and "shadow adviser" Choi Soon-si, after president refused to resign, according to local media.
- Roundup: S. Korean lawmakers propose president impeachment bill, vote heralded on Dec. 9 People's Daily 03 Dec 2016 -- South Korean lawmakers put forward a historic bill to impeach scandal-hit President Park Geun-hye early Saturday, after the opposition bloc heralded a vote on the motion on Dec. 9.
- South Koreans demand arrest of scandal-hit president Press TV 03 Dec 2016 -- Hundreds of thousands of South Koreans have rallied in Seoul for the sixth straight week to demand the resignation and arrest of President Park Geun-hye.
- Protesters Take to Seoul Streets for Sixth Straight Weekend VOA 03 Dec 2016 -- Hundreds of thousands of protesters gathered in Seoul on Saturday to call for the ouster of President Park Geun-hye, marking the sixth straight weekend of demonstrations in the city.
- Will South Korea-Japan Intelligence Deal Change Status Quo? VOA 03 Dec 2016 -- An intelligence-sharing deal between South Korea and Japan allows the two countries to bypass the United States as they work together to combat the growing threat of North Korea's nuclear and missile programs.
- US, ROK Navies Conduct Working Group to Strengthen Anti-Submarine Warfare NNS 02 Dec 2016 -- U.S. and Republic of Korea (ROK) Navy leaders from across the region met in Busan to discuss ways in which both navies can improve ASW capabilities, Dec. 1-2.
- South Korean Parliament to Vote on President's Impeachment December 9 Sputnik 02 Dec 2016 -- South Korea's opposition parties will submit a draft resolution on the impeachment of President Park Geun-hye on Friday in order to hold parliamentary vote on the motion in a week, on December 9.
- South Korea Postpones Impeachment Vote VOA 02 Dec 2016 -- South Korea's National Assembly announced Friday that the vote to impeach President Park Geun-hye had been postponed until December 9.
- South Korea, Japan Add to Sanctions on North Korea VOA 02 Dec 2016 -- South Korea and Japan have imposed unilateral sanctions on their nuclear-armed neighbor, North Korea.
- South Korea Vows to Unveil Unilateral Sanctions Against North on Friday Sputnik 01 Dec 2016 -- South Korea plans to impose unilateral sanctions against North Korea in the wake of a UN Security Council sanctions over the North's continued nuclear tests, the South Korean Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- South Korean president loses ruling party support Press TV 01 Dec 2016 -- The ruling party in South Korea has taken a unanimous approach to call on embattled President Park Geun-hye to resign in April next year over an influence peddling scandal.
- Impeachment Motion Against S.Korean Leader Delayed Over Opposition Disagreements Sputnik 01 Dec 2016 -- The impeachment motion against South Korean President Park Geun-hye was delayed as opposition parties failed to reach consensus on the date of its forwarding, local media reported on Thursday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list