Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2016 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- South Korean Political Crisis Could Affect Hardline North Korea Policy VOA 31 Oct 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye has vowed not to let a growing political crisis of confidence in her administration undermine the nation's national security.
- Embattled confidante of S. Korean president returns to Seoul People's Daily 30 Oct 2016 -- Choi Soon-sil, a longtime confidante of South Korean President Park Geun-hye suspected of illicitly intervening in state affairs, returned to Seoul on Sunday, with prosecutors expected to summon her as early as next Monday.
- South Korea's President Accepts Resignation of Top Aides VOA 30 Oct 2016 -- South Korea's president who is in the middle of an influence-peddling scandal accepted the resignation of several of her top aides Sunday.
- Thousands protest in S Korea, demand president resignation over leaking scandal Press TV 29 Oct 2016 -- Thousands of people in South Korea have staged a protesting rally against President Park Geun-hye, calling on her to resign over allegations that she leaked important official documents to a close friend and allowed her to interfere in important state affairs.
- Embattled S Korean president urges top advisers to resign Press TV 29 Oct 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye, who stands accused of leaking official state documents to a close friend, has ordered 10 of her senior secretaries to step down in a bid to reshuffle her cabinet.
- South Korean President Embroiled in Scandal VOA 29 Oct 2016 -- South Korea's president is embroiled in a scandal over allegations she has allowed a friend to have access and input into important state affairs.
- US to Go Beyond THAAD Deployment in S Korea if N Korea Threat Persists Sputnik 28 Oct 2016 -- US will further promote the THAAD missile systems deployment in South Korea in case North Korean threat persists, US Deputy Secretary of State Tony Blinken said Friday.
- US, Japan, South Korea agree to put more pressure on North Korea Press TV 27 Oct 2016 -- Senior officials from the United States, Japan and South Korea have agreed to step up pressure on North Korea to get it to abandon its nuclear and missile programs.
- Scandal Undermines South Korean Constitutional Reform Effort VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- South Korea's National Assembly is divided over President's Park Guen-hye's constitutional amendment proposal to end the political stalemate in the country.
- US, UK, Japan Navies Commit to Increase Cooperation NNS 20 Oct 2016 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson met with First Sea Lord, United Kingdom Royal Navy, Adm. Phillip Jones and Chief of Staff of the Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force, Adm. Tomohisa Takei, Oct. 20, in the Pentagon.
- Carter Reaffirms U.S. Commitment to Security on Korean Peninsula AFPS 20 Oct 2016 -- The United States remains concerned about North Korean provocations, and is committed to defending its allies with the "full spectrum of American military might," Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today in a news conference with his South Korean counterpart, Han Min-koo.
- Remarks by Secretary Carter and Minister Han in a Press Conference in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 20 Oct 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter; Republic of Korea Minister of National Defense Han Min Koo
- US to deploy THAAD system to S Korea 'as soon as possible' Press TV 20 Oct 2016 -- The United States is set to deploy a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) battery to South Korea in the wake of the North's missile tests, deemed menacing by Seoul and Washington
- Remarks at the U.S.-Republic of Korea 2+2 Ministerial Meeting US Dept. of State 19 Oct 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter, South Korean Minister of Foreign Affairs Yun Byung-se, and South Korean Minister of National Defense Han Min-koo
- Remarks With Republic of Korea Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se at a Press Availability US Dept. of State 19 Oct 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State,
- Joint Statement of the 2016 United States - Republic of Korea Foreign and Defense Ministers' Meeting US Dept. of State 19 Oct 2016
- US, South Korea Tightening Alliance to Counter Nuclear Threat from North VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- The United States and South Korea on Wednesday announced a further strengthening of their security alliance with the start of talks on an "extended deterrence" against a nuclear North Korea.
- N. Korean Rights Controversy Could Shape Presidential Election in South VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- In South Korea this week, a controversy has erupted over a nearly decade old U.N. North Korea human rights vote that could frame the 2017 presidential election as a clear choice between relying on punitive measures only to pressure the Kim Jong Un government to end its nuclear program, or renewing engagement efforts.
- DPRK's test-launch of mid-range ballistic missile ends in failure People's Daily 16 Oct 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) had test-launched an intermediate-range ballistic missile, but it ended in a failure, Seoul's military said Sunday.
- Pentagon Reports Failed Missile Launch by N. Korea VOA 16 Oct 2016 -- South Korea has strongly condemned North Korea's latest missile launch attempt. The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement Sunday the launch was "a clear violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions" and an "illegal act of provocation."
- 'Firmer and Stronger': South Korea, US to Enhance Defense Against Pyongyang Sputnik 16 Oct 2016 -- South Korea and the US have agreed to beef up their defense readiness measures against the North's provocations at an annual Military Committee Meeting (MCM) in Washington on Thursday.
- S. Korean Puppet Warmongers Commit Military Provocation in Hotspot Waters in West Sea of Korea KCNA 15 Oct 2016 -- The south Korean puppet military warmongers are escalating the intrusion into the territorial waters of the north side in the hotspot waters in the West Sea of Korea recently.
- U.S., South Korean, Japanese Military Leaders Discuss North Korean Threat AFPS 14 Oct 2016 -- Stressing the regional aspect of the threat North Korea poses, Maritime Self-defense Force Adm. Katsutoshi Kawano, the Japanese chief of defense, joined discussions with senior U.S. and South Korean military leaders at the Pentagon today.
- South Korea Prepares Special Forces to Hit North Korea in Case of War Sputnik 12 Oct 2016 -- Seoul is increasing the capacities of its military forces for destroying North Korea's command centers and its leadership in case of a crisis, South Korea's military said Wednesday.
- US, ROK Navies Conduct Exercise Ensuring Alliance Remains Ready to "Fight Tonight" NNS 11 Oct 2016 -- The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group (CSG) began a series of exercises with the Republic of Korea (ROK) navy Oct. 10-15 to strengthen maritime interoperability and tactics, techniques and procedures.
- US, ROK Navies Hone Mine Countermeasure Capabilities at First Combined Mine Warfare Event NNS 11 Oct 2016 -- Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Korea (CNFK) and the Republic of Korea navy (ROKN), will join 10 United Nations Sending States in the first Combined Mine Warfare Event, Oct. 11-22.
- South Korea Mulls Slapping North With Stronger Unilateral Sanctions Sputnik 11 Oct 2016 -- Seoul mulls punishing Pyongyang with stricter sanctions for the recent nuclear test.
- Seoul, Washington begin joint drills in Korean Peninsula waters Press TV 10 Oct 2016 -- South Korean and US forces have launched large-scale joint naval drills in a show of force against what they call North Korea's provocations in the restive region.
- Show of Force: US, S Korea Launch Unprecedented Joint Naval Exercises Sputnik 10 Oct 2016 -- The Washington-Seoul naval drills Invincible Spirit 2016 which kicked off on Monday will be conducted along the entire length of the coast of South Korea for the very first time, in a show of strength directed against Pyongyang, according to the news agency Yonhap.
- S. Korean political heavyweight proposes to halt THAAD discussion People's Daily 10 Oct 2016 -- A South Korean political heavyweight has proposed to halt discussion on the deployment of Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) on the South Korean soil.
- South Korea complains to China over sinking of coast guard vessel Press TV 10 Oct 2016 -- Seoul says it has lodged a formal complaint with Beijing over the alleged sinking of a South Korean coast guard vessel by Chinese fishermen.
- South Korea Planning Preemptive Strike on Kim Jong-Un Regime Over Nuclear Threat Sputnik 10 Oct 2016 -- South Korea's Defense Ministry announced plans in the event that it is determined that a nuclear attack from North Korea is imminent.
- South Korea on High Alert Amid Claims North Readying New Weapon Test Sputnik 07 Oct 2016 -- According to media reports, south Korea's Defense Ministry braces for a possible new nuclear detonation or a missile launch by the North ahead of an upcoming anniversary next week.
- NATO welcomes deepening cooperation with the Republic of Korea NATO 06 Oct 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se of the Republic of Korea to NATO Headquarters for the first time on Thursday (6 October 2016). The two leaders discussed how to deepen the Alliance's partnership with Seoul, their continued commitment to Afghanistan, and shared concerns over North Korea.
- South Korean media report 'North Korean defections' Press TV 05 Oct 2016 -- South Korean media say North Korean embassy officials stationed in China have defected, claiming that the incident was the latest in a series of alleged defections by North Korean officials.
- Anti-THAAD Protesters Rally in Seoul VOA 05 Oct 2016 -- Hundreds of South Koreans who live near the future deployment site of the U.S. THAAD missile defense system staged a protest in Seoul Wednesday.
- Seoul to Get Dozens More Bunker-Busting Missiles from US Sputnik 05 Oct 2016 -- South Korea's purchase of Taurus long-range air-to-surface missiles comes only a month after North Korea's September 9 nuclear test, amid frequent ballistic-missile tests by its northern neighbor.
- US, S Korea Stage Military Exercise to Train Strike on North's Nuclear Assets Sputnik 03 Oct 2016 -- A US-South Korean military drill to train a preemptive attack on North Korea is set to begin in Alaska on Monday.
- US, S Korea to pay 'price' for THAAD missile deployment: China daily Press TV 01 Oct 2016 -- A top Chinese newspaper has cautioned Washington and Seoul against the planned deployment of an advanced US missile system to the Korean Peninsula, saying the pair will face a "counter attack" for their controversial move.
- South Korean president urges North Koreans to defect Press TV 01 Oct 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye has urged North Koreans to defect to the South, two days after a North Korean soldier crossed the heavily protected border into the southern neighbor's territory.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list