Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2016 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Three Chinese fishermen Die after ROK Coast Guard Throws Sound Bombs People's Daily 30 Sep 2016 -- Three Chinese fishermen died on Thursday when a fire started on their boat inside the western South Korean territorial waters, officials reported.
- China urges US, South Korea to cancel THAAD deployment Press TV 30 Sep 2016 -- Beijing has urged Washington to cancel the imminent deployment of a controversial missile system to South Korea, saying that militarization of the Korean Peninsula could "seriously harm the strategic interests of China."
- South Korea picks new site for THAAD missile installment Press TV 30 Sep 2016 -- Seoul has announced a new location for the installment of a controversial United States missile system in South Korea, amid local and international opposition to the deployment.
- South Korea Moves US Anti-Missile System to Golf Course VOA 30 Sep 2016 -- South Korea has announced a new location for an advanced U.S. missile defense unit.
- U.S. to deploy THAAD system in S. Korea "as soon as possible": official People's Daily 28 Sep 2016 -- The United States intends to deploy the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system in South Korea "as soon as possible," a senior U.S. official said Tuesday.
- US to station THAAD in S Korea 'as soon as possible' Press TV 28 Sep 2016 -- The United States aims to expedite the deployment of an advanced missile system to South Korea, amid ongoing threats from Pyongyang and opposition on behalf of Beijing.
- THAAD Opposition Fades After 5th North Korean Nuke Test VOA 28 Sep 2016 -- Opposition to the deployment of the U.S. Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system is weakening in South Korea's National Assembly in the face of North Korea's rapid advancement of it nuclear and ballistics missile capabilities.
- US, ROK Navies Demonstrate Anti-Submarine Warfare, Precision Strike Capabilities NNS 27 Sep 2016 -- The U.S. and Republic of Korea navies (ROKN) joined forces to conduct a combined maritime operation in waters East of the Korean Peninsula, Sept. 26.
- US, South Korea Exercise for Military Option With Naval Drill VOA 26 Sep 2016 -- The United States and South Korea conducted naval exercises Monday as the potential for regional conflict is incrementally growing over North Korea's advancing nuclear threat.
- US won't negotiate deployment of THAAD in South Korea Press TV 24 Sep 2016 -- The United States says that the planned deployment of its Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system in South Korea is not negotiable.
- S.Korean president expresses worry about possible DPRK provocations People's Daily 22 Sep 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Thursday expressed worry about possible provocations from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) amid signs that Pyongyang may have completed preparations for another nuclear test and ballistic missile launch.
- DPRK Red Cross Society Warns Park Geun Hye Group against Anti-DPRK Rhetoric KCNA 22 Sep 2016 -- As reported, the strongest storm accompanied by downpour in the meteorological observation since the liberation of Korea hit several cities and counties along the Tuman River in the northern tip of Korea recently, causing huge damage.
- South Korea questions North Korea's suitability for UN membership Press TV 21 Sep 2016 -- South Korea has questioned the suitability of North Korea for membership at the United Nations (UN), drawing attention to Pyongyang's repeated violations of UN Security Council resolutions.
- S.Korea, U.S. to conduct airstrike training on DPRK's nuke facilities People's Daily 19 Sep 2016 -- South Korea and the United States plan to conduct an airstrike training on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s nuclear facilities through a U.S.-led multinational air defense exercise scheduled for next month, Seoul's Yonhap news agency reported on Monday.
- Over 17,000 South Koreans Give Up Citizenship to Evade Conscription Sputnik 19 Sep 2016 -- A total of 17,229 South Korean men renounced their citizenship from 2012 through July 2016 to avoid performing an obligatory military duty.
- 'Spy Nation' Film Alleges Abuse of N. Korean Asylum Seekers VOA 15 Sep 2016 -- In South Korea, a new documentary is attempting to make the case that the Seoul government's National Intelligence Service (NIS) is engaging in abusive and coercive techniques to falsely uncover North Korean spies posing as defectors.
- U.S. flies B-1B bombers over S.Korea after DPRK's nuke test People's Daily 13 Sep 2016 -- The U.S. military on Tuesday flew two nuclear-capable supersonic bombers over South Korea in a show of force following the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s recent nuclear test.
- S. Korea, U.S. agree to seek further sanctions on DPRK over nuke test People's Daily 13 Sep 2016 -- Top nuclear envoys of South Korea and the United States agreed on Tuesday to seek the strongest possible sanctions against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) over its recent nuclear test.
- US taunts North Korea by flying bombers over South Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- The US has flown two heavy bomber jets over South Korea, a move that is expected to stir more tension on the Korean Peninsula following a recent nuclear test by the North.
- S. Korean opposition parties oppose THAAD deployment, urge dialogue with DPRK People's Daily 12 Sep 2016 -- South Korea's opposition party chiefs on Monday expressed objections to the deployment of a U.S. missile shield in their homeland, calling for dialogue with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) in their rare meeting with President Park Geun-hye.
- S. Korean president denounces DPRK's "reckless" adherence to nuke program People's Daily 12 Sep 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Monday denounced the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s nuclear ambitions, describing it as "reckless and fanatic" adherence.
- South Korea Develops Plan to Annihilate Pyongyang in Case of War Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- South Korea reportedly has developed a preemptive attack plan against North Korea aiming to destroy the northern capital Pyongyang in case of a nuclear attack emanating from the north.
- US, South Korea Test Water, Air Samples Following North's Nuclear Test VOA 10 Sep 2016 -- South Korea and the United States began their search for radioactive materials Saturday, following North Korea's fifth and largest nuclear test the day before, according to the South's Yonhap news agency.
- S. Korea strongly blasts DPRK's 5th nuke test as "fanatic recklessness" People's Daily 09 Sep 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye denounced the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s fifth nuclear test during her trip to Laos, calling it as "fanatic recklessness," her office said Friday.
- S.Korea sees DPRK's nuke miniaturization advance faster than expected People's Daily 09 Sep 2016 -- South Korea's spy agency on Friday expressed worries about the faster-than-expected progress in the technology of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s nuclear weapons miniaturization.
- Obama, South Korean President Reaffirm U.S.-South Korea Alliance AFPS 06 Sep 2016 -- While attending a regional summit meeting today in Vientiane, Laos, President Barack Obama and South Korean President Park Geun-hye reaffirmed their countries' long-standing alliance and condemned North Korea's nuclear program and missile launches, according to a White House news release.
- China censures S Korea over US missile system Press TV 05 Sep 2016 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has rebuked South Korea for agreeing to let US forces deploy an advanced missile system in the South Asian country.
- THAAD System in Korea Designed to Defend US Troops, Not Korean Cities Sputnik 05 Sep 2016 -- On Monday, speaking with his South Korean counterpart, Chinese President Xi Jinping emphasized that China was categorically opposed to the deployment of US missile defense in South Korea. Commenting on the president's remarks, Russian and Chinese political analysts told Sputnik what it is specifically that China is concerned about.
- Xi Expresses Opposition Over US Missile System Deployment in S.Korea Sputnik 05 Sep 2016 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping during a meeting with his South Korean counterpart Park Geun-hye on Monday said that he opposes the deployment of US missile defense systems in South Korea in response to perceived North Korea's growing missile and nuclear threat.
- Hyundai Selected to Supply Philippine Navy With Two Battleships Sputnik 04 Sep 2016 -- South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) has won a $337 million contract to build two modern warships for the Philippine Navy.
- THAAD controversy rises in ROK amid president's slight change in position People's Daily 03 Sep 2016 -- Controversy resurfaced here over the deployment of a US missile shield, or Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD), in the Republic of Korea (ROK) as ruling party lawmakers boycotted all parliamentary procedures in protest against the National Assembly speaker's remarks on THAAD.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list