Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2016 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- S. Korea says DPRK appears to have failed in 4th Musudan missile test-launch People's Daily 31 May 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) appeared to have failed in its fourth test-launch of an intermediate-range Musudan ballistic missile after its dialogue overtures on military matters were repeatedly dismissed by South Korea, Seoul's military said Tuesday.
- New North Korea missile launch ended in failure: South Press TV 31 May 2016 -- South Korea says the North has attempted to launch another powerful missile from its east coast, but the launch apparently failed.
- S.Korea's military tracking possible DPRK ballistic missile launch People's Daily 30 May 2016 -- South Korea's military on Monday said it was tracking the possible ballistic missile launch by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) after a Japanese broadcaster's report on the launch possibility.
- KPA General Staff Sends Notice to S. Korean Authorities KCNA 28 May 2016 -- As reported, the puppet military gangsters of south Korea sent many armed ships into the territorial waters of the DPRK from 5:53 on Friday to wait for a chance of provocation and then fired, without any prior warning, 40 mm rocket gun shells at an unarmed ferryboat of the Navy of the Korean People's Army, which was towing a boat.
- Pyongyang Threatens to Fire at S Korean Warships if They Cross Sea Border Sputnik 28 May 2016 -- North Korea has warned that it would open fire at any South Korean warships that trespass the maritime border following an incident involving North Korean patrol and fishing vessels, South Korean media report.
- S. Korea stresses adherence to sanctions on DPRK despite dialogue offers People's Daily 27 May 2016 -- South Korea's top policymakers on Friday stressed the need for adherence to sanctions on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) despite Pyongyang's repeated dialogue offers on military matters.
- S.Korean president says not to succumb to DPRK's nuke threats People's Daily 27 May 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Friday said that her country will not succumb to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s nuclear threats.
- Envoys of S. Korea, U.S., Japan to discuss DPRK's nuke program People's Daily 26 May 2016 -- Top nuclear envoys of South Korea, the United Statesand Japanwill discuss issues on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s nuclear program early next month in Tokyo, Seoul's foreign ministry said on Thursday.
- S Korea to Purchase $3Bln in Weapons in 2016 Amid North's Nuclear Threats Sputnik 25 May 2016 -- S Korea is to purchase arms worth 3.5 trillion won to boost its military capacity amid North Korea's increasing nuclear threats, local media reported on Wednesday, citing the country's defense procurement agency.
- S. Korea, U.S., Japan defense chiefs to hold talks on DPRK nuke program People's Daily 25 May 2016 -- Defense ministers of South Korea, the United Statesand Japanwill hold talks on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s nuclear program on the sidelines of a regional security meeting scheduled for early next month, Seoul's defense ministry said Wednesday.
- DPRK proposes again to South Korea holding military talks People's Daily 24 May 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) offered again to South Korea holding a working-level contact for inter-governmental military talks, Seoul's defense ministry said Tuesday.
- S. Korea reiterates denuclearization call in response to DPRK's dialogue offer People's Daily 24 May 2016 -- South Korea's defense ministry on Tuesday reiterated its denuclearization call for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) in response to Pyongyang's repeated dialogue overtures on military matters.
- N. Korean Restaurant Workers Seek Asylum in South VOA 24 May 2016 -- Another group of North Korean defectors have fled a Pyongyang-run restaurant in China, seeking asylum in South Korea, Seoul's Unification Ministry announced Tuesday.
- S. Korea calls for DPRK's denuclearization stance before military talks People's Daily 23 May 2016 -- South Korea on Monday called for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to show its stance on denuclearization, in response to the DPRK's dialogue overtures on military matters over the weekend.
- Ministry of People's Armed Forces of NDC Proposes Working-level Contact to South Side's Military Authorities KCNA 21 May 2016 -- The north-south military authorities' talks which were proposed at the historic 7th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) as the greatest and the best realistic way of defusing military tension and ensuring peace on the Korean peninsula have commanded unanimous support and approval from not only the Koreans in the north and the south and abroad but from the peace-loving people of the world for their urgency, validity and realistic nature.
- N Korea willing to hold 'working-level contact' with South ahead of military talks Press TV 21 May 2016 -- North Korea's Defense Ministry said Saturday it was willing to hold "working-level contact" with the South Korean side ahead of the opening of Pyongyang-Seoul military talks.
- Seoul Rejects Pyongyang's Offer of Military Talks, Demands Denuclearization Sputnik 20 May 2016 -- The South Korean Defense Ministry rejected on Friday a proposal by the North to hold inter-Korean military talks, instead demanding real steps toward denuclearization from Pyongyang.
- S. Korea worries about DPRK's possible nuke test People's Daily 18 May 2016 -- South Korea's top policymaker on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) affairs on Wednesday expressed worry about Pyongyang's possible nuclear test.
- S. Korea monitoring DPRK's nuke test site: defense ministry People's Daily 12 May 2016 -- South Korea's defense ministry said Thursday that it has been carefully monitoring the nuclear test site of the Dmocratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- AF defenders, S Korea soldiers train to fend off opposing forces AFNS 11 May 2016 -- Defending the men and women of Osan Air Base is one challenge to the 51st Security Forces Squadron, but defending an entire country is quite another.
- S.Korea to put sanctions, pressure ahead of dialogue with DPRK: minister People's Daily 11 May 2016 -- South Korea will put sanctions and pressure ahead of dialogue with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Unification Minister Hong Yong-pyo said on Wednesday.
- S.Korean military probes alleged hacking by DPRK into navy warship builder People's Daily 10 May 2016 -- South Korea's military counter-espionage service has investigated an alleged hacking attack by Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Hanjin Heavy Industries &Construction Co., a key builder of naval warships, Yonhap reported on Tuesday.
- Seoul rejects Pyongyang's proposal for inter-Korea talks People's Daily 09 May 2016 -- There would be little chance for the two countries on the Korean Peninsula to improve their stressed relations via bilateral talks as Seoul has turned down a rare olive branch from Pyongyang.
- S. Korea never accept DPRK as nuclear-armed state: Seoul People's Daily 09 May 2016 -- South Koreaand the international community will never accept Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) as a nuclear-armed state, Seoul's Ministry of National Defense said on Monday.
- S.Korea rejects inter-Korean dialogue proposed by DPRK People's Daily 09 May 2016 -- South Korea on Sunday rejected the inter-Korean dialogue offer proposed by the leader of Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong-un saying that the proposal is merely a propaganda drive with no authenticity as DPRK continued to develop its nuclear program.
- South Korea reiterates position that denuclearization be put before dialogue with DPRK People's Daily 03 May 2016 -- South Korea's foreign ministry reiterated its position on Tuesday that denuclearization should be put before the resumption of dialogue with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) amid expectations that Pyongyang may start efforts at dialogue after its historic ruling party convention.
- Iran Says Oil Exports To South Korea Up Fourfold Since January RFE/RL 03 May 2016 -- Iran has increased oil exports to South Korea fourfold since January and now hopes to triple its yearly trade with Seoul, Iranian leaders have said.
- S.Korea warns of DPRK's nuke test, missile launch ahead of party convention People's Daily 03 May 2016 -- South Korea's military on Tuesday warned of possible nuclear test and missile launch by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) ahead of the country's historic ruling party convention set to kick off on Friday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list