Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2016 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- S.Korean fighter jet crashes, no casualty reported People's Daily 30 Mar 2016 -- A South Korean fighter jet on Wednesday crashed in the southeastern region, with no casualty reported, Yonhap news agency reported citing the military.
- Seoul to Develop Guided Munitions to Counter Pyongyang's Threats Sputnik 30 Mar 2016 -- After North Korea's hydrogen bomb test in early January, South Korea is elaborating ground-to-ground guided munitions as reciprocal actions.
- Trump's Asia Security Criticisms Set Off Talk of Nuclear Arms Race VOA 28 Mar 2016 -- Donald Trump, the front-running U.S. presidential candidate for the Republican Party, is not winning a lot of friends among America's key allies in Asia after criticizing their contributions to regional security and suggesting they develop their own nuclear arsenals.
- S. Korea Urged to Take Prudent Approach toward KPA's Ultimatum KCNA 28 Mar 2016 -- The Park Geun Hye group of traitors in south Korea should take prudent approach toward the ultimatum recently issued by the long-range artillery force of the large combined unit on the front of the Korean People's Army.
- US Navy, Republic of Korea Navy Confirm Strategic Alliance During Foal Eagle 16 NNS 24 Mar 2016 -- U.S. Navy and Republic of Korea Navy ships commenced the maritime portion of exercise Foal Eagle 16, March 22.
- Roundup: S.Korean president orders military to strengthen readiness amid tensions with DPRK People's Daily 24 Mar 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Thursday ordered her military to strengthen defense readiness amid rising tensions with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- S. Korea takes seriously DPRK's claim of having successful tested solid-fuel rocket People's Daily 24 Mar 2016 -- South Korea's Defense Ministry said Thursday that it took seriously the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s claim to have successfully tested a solid-fuel rocket engine as it means Pyongyang's constant readiness to fire missiles.
- S. Korea warns retaliation against DPRK's threat to strike People's Daily 23 Mar 2016 -- South Korea on Wednesday warned of stern and merciless retaliations in response to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s threat to strike South Korea's presidential office.
- North Korea warns of 'miserable end' for South Korea, US Press TV 23 Mar 2016 -- North Korea has denounced the largest ever military drills by the US and South Korea a "thrice-cursed provocation," which Pyongyang sees as rehearsal for an invasion.
- S.Korea says DPRK can conduct 5th nuke test at any time People's Daily 21 Mar 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) can conduct another nuclear test at any time when the leadership makes a decision, Seoul's unification ministry said Monday.
- DA Announces Deployment of Fort Bragg-Based Units DoD 19 Mar 2016 -- The Department of the Army announced today the deployment of two Fort Bragg, North Carolina-based units assigned to the XVIII Airborne Corps. Late this summer, the XVIII Airborne Corps headquarters will deploy about 450 soldiers to Kuwait and the 1st Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment, 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division will deploy about 400 soldiers to South Korea.
- S.Korea urges Japan to stop territorial claims on disputed island People's Daily 18 Mar 2016 -- South Korea on Friday urged Japan to stop territorial claims on a disputed island, called Dokdo in South Korea and Takeshima in Japan, lying halfway between the two countries.
- S.Korea denounces DPRK's ballistic missile launch People's Daily 18 Mar 2016 -- South Koreaon Friday strongly denounced the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s launch of a ballistic missile in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.
- Japan, South Korea slam North Korea's new ballistic missile launch Press TV 18 Mar 2016 -- South Korea and Japan have denounced North Korea over its latest ballistic missile launch, demanding Pyongyang to avoid such moves that could heighten tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
- S.Korea warns unbearable retaliation against DPRK's nuclear threats People's Daily 15 Mar 2016 -- South Korea's foreign ministry on Tuesday warned of unbearable retaliations against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s nuclear threats.
- S.Korean president urges DPRK to come to path for change People's Daily 15 Mar 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Tuesday urged the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to come to a path for change amid escalating tensions on the Korean peninsula.
- S.Korean military stages rear-area maneuvers against possible DPRK terror attacks People's Daily 14 Mar 2016 -- South Korea's military on Monday carried out maneuver training exercises in rear areas against possible terrorist attacks from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Yonhap news agency reported.
- S. Korean military rejects to confirm on missing DPRK submarine People's Daily 14 Mar 2016 -- South Korea's military on Monday refused confirmation on a Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) submarine, which United States media reported had gone missing for days.
- N Korea rejects South's 'fabricated' cyber attack claims Press TV 13 Mar 2016 -- North Korea has rejected as "shameless fabrications" the South's accusations that Pyongyang carried out cyber attacks against officials in Seoul, saying such claims are politically-motivated.
- US, South Korea Begin War Games Amid North Korean Threats VOA 12 Mar 2016 -- The United States and South Korea began a series of annual joint military exercises Saturday, after days of threats by North Korea that it will retaliate if the war games turn into an attack – threats generally made each year.
- S.Korea slams DPRK's moves to liquidate assets, nullify inter-Korean projects People's Daily 10 Mar 2016 -- South Korea on Thursday denounced the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) for its moves to liquidate South Korean assets and nullify all of inter-Korean economic cooperation projects.
- DPRK to liquidate all S. Korean assets, nullifies all inter-Korean economic cooperation People's Daily 10 Mar 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) declared a plan on Thursday to liquidate all of South Korean assets in the DPRK, while nullifying all inter-Korean economic cooperation projects in response to Seoul's unilateral sanctions against Pyongyang.
- Seoul Unable to Confirm Pyongyang Possesses Miniature Nuclear Warheads Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- Seoul cannot yet confirm that Pyongyang has miniaturized nuclear warheads that can fit on ballistic missiles, despite North Korea's claims, South Korean media reported Wednesday.
- S. Korea refutes DPRK's claim to have miniaturized nuke warheads People's Daily 09 Mar 2016 -- South Korea's defense ministry on Wednesday refuted claims by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) that it has successfully miniaturized nuclear warheads small enough to mount on ballistic missiles.
- S.Korea unveils unilateral sanctions on DPRK People's Daily 08 Mar 2016 -- South Korea on Tuesday unveiled a package of new unilateral sanctions on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) over its latest nuclear test and rocket launch.
- S. Korean spy agency says DPRK hacks smartphones of gov't officials People's Daily 08 Mar 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has recently hacked smartphones of dozens of South Korean key government officials to wiretap text messages and voice calls, Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday citing South Korea's spy agency.
- S Korea Intensifies Sanctions Against North - Prime Minister Office Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- Seoul has lengthened the list of the sanctions against North Korea, it contains 38 individuals and 30 enterprises all in all, the South Korean Prime Minister's office announced Tuesday.
- South Korea Sanctions Halt Russian Rail Project with North Korea VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- South Korea imposed new unilateral sanctions against North Korea on Tuesday as Seoul's spy agency blames Pyongyang hackers for recent cyber attacks.
- N.Korea Hacks Dozens of S.Korean Officials' Smartphones Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- North Korean hackers sent text messages to the phones of Seoul officials in an attempt to lure them into following links to download malicious software, according to local media.
- U.S., South Korea Begin Annual Large-Scale Exercises AFPS 07 Mar 2016 -- U.S. and South Korean troops today began their annual Key Resolve and Foal Eagle exercises, which Pentagon spokesman Navy Capt. Jeff Davis said are conducted to maintain South Korea's preparedness.
- S.Korea, U.S. kick off largest-ever war games after DPRK's nuke, rocket launch People's Daily 07 Mar 2016 -- South Koreaand the United Stateson Monday kicked off their largest-ever annual war games weeks after the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s nuclear test and long-range rocket launch, Combined Forces Command (CFC) said in a statement.
- U.S. Imperialists and S. Korean Warmongers Start Key Resolve and Foal Eagle 16 KCNA 07 Mar 2016 -- Today the U.S. imperialists and south Korean puppet war-thirsty forces started their joint military exercises Key Resolve and Foal Eagle 16 across south Korea for provoking a nuclear war against the DPRK.
- South Korea, US launch military exercises amid North threats Press TV 07 Mar 2016 -- South Korea and the US have started large-scale military exercises amid a threat by North Korea to attack the two countries with nuclear weapons if they go ahead with the drills.
- China Alarmed as 305,000 US, S Korean Troops Launch Largest-Ever Drills Sputnik 07 Mar 2016 -- China is very concerned about the military drills between South Korea and the United States, believed to be the largest-ever joint exercises of the two countries amid increased tensions on the Korean Peninsula, according to China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei.
- S Korea-US Drills Focus on Training Plan to Launch Strikes on N Korea Sputnik 07 Mar 2016 -- The South Korean media reported Monday that joint military exercises with the US will have a special focus on developing the countries' ability to launch precision strikes on North Korea's top leadership.
- S.Korea's spy agency to hold emergency meeting over DPRK's cyber terror threats People's Daily 07 Mar 2016 -- South Korea's spy agency will hold an emergency meeting on Tuesday to go over the preparations of government agencies against potential cyber terror threats from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Yonhap news agency reported Monday.
- S.Korean president urges efforts at additional sanctions on DPRK People's Daily 07 Mar 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Monday instructed senior presidential secretaries to make efforts at further sanctions on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and closely cooperate to enforce new UN Security Council resolution.
- S.Korea warns of stern retaliation against DPRK provocations People's Daily 07 Mar 2016 -- South Korea's defense ministry on Monday warned of 'stern and merciless' retaliation against any provocations from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) amid the joint annual war games between Seoul and Washington.
- 2,100 US forces arrive in South Korea for joint drills Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- About 2,100 US troops have arrived in South Korea to hold a joint military exercise that is likely to stir more tensions in the Korean peninsula, after North Korean leader Kim Jong-un ordered his military forces to prepare for using nuclear weapons.
- S.Korean navy, coast guards stage joint maritime exercise against DPRK People's Daily 04 Mar 2016 -- South Korea's navy and coast guards on Friday carried out a joint maritime exercise against possible terrorist attacks from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), a local broadcaster YTN reported.
- South Korea Expects Backlash After UN Sanctions on North VOA 04 Mar 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye says her country must make it clear the North Korean regime will not survive if it does not give up its nuclear program.
- S. Korean president says to force DPRK to give up nuke program People's Daily 01 Mar 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye said Tuesday that the government will force the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to give up its nuclear program based on firmer defense readiness and international cooperation.
- Pyongyang Rejects Seoul's Call to Abandon Nuke Program Before Peace Treaty Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- North Korea has rejected the call made by its south neighbor to abandon its nuclear program before having any discussions on a peace agreement, it was reported in the media Tuesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list