Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2015 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- US, S. Korea, Japan to Meet on N. Korea Nuclear Issue VOA 30 Nov 2015 -- Representatives of the United States, South Korea, and Japan will meet in Washington this week to discuss the North Korean nuclear issue, a senior official in Seoul said on Monday.
- South Korea Building New Base for Rapid Reaction to Pyongyang's Moves Sputnik 29 Nov 2015 -- South Korea has unveiled a plan to open a new naval base on a southern resort island of Jeju to host a rapid-reaction force that will respond to 'provocations' from the North, local media reported Sunday.
- North and South Koreas to Hold High-level Talk Next Month People's Daily 28 Nov 2015 -- The two Koreas have announced plans to hold a senior level meeting next month.
- Officials from two Koreas hold another meeting to defuse tensions Press TV 26 Nov 2015 -- Officials from North and South Korea have held another meeting aimed at easing tensions between the two rivals.
- Two Koreas Prepare for Working-level Talks VOA 24 Nov 2015 -- South and North Korea on Tuesday exchanged lists of delegations that will attend working-level talks this week.
- North Korea slams South Korea's latest military war game Press TV 24 Nov 2015 -- North Korea has slammed the South for holding live-fire drills despite Pyongyang's earlier warnings, labeling it the "most vicious military provocation aimed at confrontation."
- S.Korea stages firing exercises in western islands near DPRK People's Daily 23 Nov 2015 -- South Korea's military on Monday staged its maritime firing exercises in northwestern islands near the sea boundary with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Yonhap news agency reported citing a military official.
- South Korea stages major drill near sea border with North Press TV 23 Nov 2015 -- South Korea has begun a major live-fire military drill near the disputed sea border with North Korea, amid warnings of a "merciless" retaliation by Pyongyang.
- North Korea warns South against live-fire drills near sea border Press TV 22 Nov 2015 -- North Korea has warned its southern neighbor against conducting live-firing drills near their maritime border, describing Seoul's expected military exercises as "provocative."
- Former South Korean President Kim Young-Sam Dies at 87 VOA 21 Nov 2015 -- Former South Korean President Kim Young-sam, who in the 1990s formally ended decades of military rule in his homeland, died early Sunday. He was 87.
- Let's Talk: North and South Korea Set to Discuss Border Tensions Sputnik 20 Nov 2015 -- North and South Korea agreed on Friday to hold high-level talks next week, in an attempt to ease border tensions. It will be the first government-level meeting since an armed standoff in August.
- Republic of Korea - UGM-84L Harpoon Block II Missiles DSCA 19 Nov 2015 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Republic of Korea for UGM-84L Harpoon Block II missiles and associated equipment, parts and logistical support for an estimated cost of $110 million.
- South Korea 'watching out for signs of possible missile test by North' Press TV 16 Nov 2015 -- South Korea has warned that the North may be preparing to test-fire a submarine-launched ballistic missile following the issuance by Pyongyang of a no-sail zone off its east coast for almost one month.
- S.Korea's Park urges Abe to decide on wartime sex slavery issue People's Daily 13 Nov 2015 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye urged Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to make a decision on the issue of Japan's sex slavery of Korean women during World War II, the presidential office Cheong Wa Dae said Friday.
- Japan, South Korea to Resolve Comfort Women Dispute Soon VOA 11 Nov 2015 -- In Seoul Wednesday officials from Japan and South Korea held working level talks to settle the controversial historical dispute over Japan's forced prostitution of Korean women during World War II.
- U.S. and ROK Navies to Conduct Exercise Clear Horizon 2015 NNS 05 Nov 2015 -- The U.S. and Republic of Korea (ROK) navies will participate in Exercise Clear Horizon, Nov. 9-13, in waters south of the Korean peninsula.
- Carter: North Korea 'Up Close, Dangerous' Threat AFPS 03 Nov 2015 -- The United States and South Korea have an 'iron clad' alliance in the face of the 'up close, dangerous' threat of North Korea, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said yesterday in Seoul.
- Joint Press Briefing by Secretary Carter and Minister Han Min-goo in Seoul, South Korea DoD 02 Nov 2015 -- Secretary of Defense Ash Carter, South Korean Minister of Defense Han Min-goo
- US, South Korea Revise Agreement on Military Control VOA 02 Nov 2015 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter and his South Korean counterpart, Han Min Koo, warned North Korea that any aggression or military provocation by the isolated regime 'is not to be tolerated.'
- Three-nation relations fully back on track People's Daily 02 Nov 2015 -- The leaders of China, the Republic of Korea and Japan said on Sunday that cooperation between the three countries has been 'completely restored'.
- China, Japan, S. Korea Agree to End Diplomatic Stand-Off VOA 01 Nov 2015 -- In Seoul Sunday leaders from China, Japan and South Korea met for the first time in three-and-a-half years to restart stalled regional cooperation and end their diplomatic standoff over the contentious issues that divide them.
- China, Japan, South Korea 'completely restore' cooperation Press TV 01 Nov 2015 -- The leaders of China, Japan and South Korea say their trilateral cooperation has been 'completely restored' following their first meeting in more than three years.
- Dunford Discusses Progress With South Korean Counterpart AFPS 01 Nov 2015 -- North Korea is just 35 miles away from Seoul, a world capital with more than 20 million inhabitants.
- Carter: South Korean Alliance 'Ironclad' in Face of Constant Danger AFPS 01 Nov 2015 -- The United States remains committed to a denuclearized Korean Peninsula and continues to call on North Korea to maintain peace and stability in the region, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today.
- Media Availability with Secretary of Defense Ash Carter at the Demilitarized Zone, South Korea DoD 01 Nov 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list