Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2015 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- South Korea Expresses Regret Over North's Reunion Threat VOA 30 Sep 2015 -- South Korea on Wednesday expressed regret over North Korea's threat to cancel a planned inter-Korean family reunion event.
- North Korea threatens to cancel family reunion event with South Press TV 30 Sep 2015 -- North Korea has threatened to cancel a much-awaited reunion of the families forced apart by the Korean War over recent remarks by the South Korean president critical of Pyongyang.
- Divided peninsula 'last remaining vestige of Cold War,' Republic of Korea President tells UN UN News 28 Sep 2015 -- In her address to the annual high-level meeting of the General Assembly, President Park Geun-hye of the Republic of Korea (ROK) cited the Iranian nuclear deal as she urged the international community to focus on resolving the North Korean nuclear issue.
- Seoul Official: Xi Comments a Warning to Pyongyang VOA 28 Sep 2015 -- A senior South Korean official says Chinese President Xi Jinping's recent warning against provocative actions on the Korean peninsula was intended as a warning message to North Korea.
- North Korea Warns South Over Leaflets VOA 23 Sep 2015 -- North Korea says the sending of anti-Pyongyang leaflets by South Korean groups is a violation of the recent inter-Korean deal easing tension on the Korean peninsula.
- S.Korea can rejects U.S. call for Japan troops intervention in emergency situations: defense minister People's Daily 21 Sep 2015 -- South Korean Defense Minister Han Min-koo said Monday that his country can reject U.S. call for the entrance of Japan's Self-Defense Forces into the Korean Peninsula in emergency situations, Yonhap News Agency reported.
- S. Korean Group Delivers Anti-Pyongyang Leaflets Amid Tensions VOA 21 Sep 2015 -- South Korean activists have sent anti-Pyongyang leaflets into North Korea amid heightened tensions over North Korean threats regarding a long-range rocket launch and nuclear test.
- South Korea warns North against rocket launch Press TV 15 Sep 2015 -- Seoul has warned Pyongyang against any rocket launch, saying it would consider any such move by North Korea as a serious provocation.
- South Korea Warns North Against Rocket Launch VOA 14 Sep 2015 -- South Korea on Tuesday warned North Korea against conducting a long-range rocket launch, a day after Pyongyang hinted it may launch a satellite during a key political anniversary next month.
- Relations on Korean peninsula 'taking a new turn,' says UN rights expert UN News 09 Sep 2015 -- At the end of a five-day visit to the Republic of Korea, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) said today that the relationship between the two countries is "taking a new turn."
- North, South Korea Agree to Resume Family Reunions VOA 08 Sep 2015 -- North and South Korea have agreed to resume the reunion of families separated for more than 60 years by the Korean War.
- S. Korean President Uses China Trip for Diplomacy VOA 03 Sep 2015 -- South Korea, China and Japan Thursday announced plans to hold a trilateral meeting in October or November, in what could be a diplomatic breakthrough following months of tension.
- Koreas Exchange List of Envoys for Family Reunion Talks VOA 03 Sep 2015 -- To prepare for the resumption of reunions for families separated since the Korean War, North and South Korea have exchanged lists of top working-level envoys for discussions.
- S. Korea, China Vow to Denuclearize Korean Peninsula VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- Reaffirming their commitment to the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, South Korean President Park Geun-hye and Chinese President Xi Jinping are calling for a quick resumption of the six-party talks about the issue.
- DPRK drone crosses inter-Korean border during S. Korea-DPRK talks People's Daily 02 Sep 2015 -- A drone from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) flew across the inter-Korean border during S. Korea-DPRK high-level talks.
- Carter: N. Korea has 'No Chance' Defeating S. Korea, US VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter had some strong words for North Korea Tuesday in the wake of escalating tensions along what is considered the world’s most dangerous border.
- North Korea Denies Apologizing for Landmine Blast VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- North Korea has denied apologizing for a landmine explosion that injured two South Koreans, and says Seoul risks hurting bilateral relations if it implies otherwise.
- South Korea to Begin Survey on Separated Families VOA 01 Sep 2015 -- South Korea is launching a project to find out how many elderly citizens who once applied for reunions with their North Korean relatives are still alive or able to travel.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list