Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2015 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- DPRK patrol ship 'forced back' by S. Korean navy: Seoul People's Daily 30 Jun 2015 -- A patrol ship of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) was sent back Tuesday after ' violating South Korea's territorial waters', the Joint Chiefs of Staff said.
- South Korea naval vessel fires warning shots to send back North ship: Officials Press TV 30 Jun 2015 -- A South Korean naval vessel has fired warning shots to drive away a North Korean patrol ship that had crossed the disputed inter-Korean sea border, military officials say, raising fears of a potential conflagration between the two neighbors.
- South Korea Reports One New MERS Case VOA 27 Jun 2015 -- South Korea reported one new case of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS, Saturday, bringing the country's total number of cases to 182, the largest number of cases outside Saudi Arabia.
- S Korea blacklists foreign entities over arms trade with North Press TV 26 Jun 2015 -- South Korea has slapped financial sanctions on seven individuals and organizations for allegedly engaging in weapons trade with the North.
- Spies of S. Korean Intelligence Service Tried in DPRK KCNA 23 Jun 2015 -- The Supreme Court of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on Tuesday held a trial on Kim Kuk Gi and Choe Chun Gil, spies of south Korea's Intelligence Service who were arrested while perpetrating espionage against the DPRK under the manipulation of the U.S. and the south Korean puppet regime.
- South Korea Reports 3 More MERS Deaths VOA 18 Jun 2015 -- The death toll from South Korea's MERS outbreak has risen to 23, according to officials, a day after the United Nations' health agency said incompetence had led to the spread of the virus.
- MERS outbreak in Republic of Korea is 'wake-up call' for highly mobile world - UN health agency UN News 17 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) today declared the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS, outbreak that spread from the Middle East to the Republic of Korea does not constitute a 'public health emergency of international concern' but is nonetheless a "wake-up call" for all countries to be prepared for the unanticipated spread of serious infectious diseases.
- S.Korea reports 8 more MERS cases, 1 death People's Daily 17 Jun 2015 -- South Korea on Wednesday reported eight more cases of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) infection and one more death, bringing the total death toll to 20.
- S. Korea reports 4 more MERS cases, 3 deaths People's Daily 16 Jun 2015 -- Four more cases of infection with the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) were reported in South Korea Tuesday, while three deaths were added among the confirmed cases, the health ministry said.
- 3 more MERS deaths reported in South Korea Press TV 16 Jun 2015 -- South Korea has reported three more fatalities from the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), bringing the death toll to 19 in an outbreak that began in May.
- North Korea Open to Talks, With Conditions VOA 15 Jun 2015 -- North Korea says it is open to talks with South Korea if conditions are met.
- Stand of DPRK to Bring about Landmark Turn in Improving Inter-Korean Relations Clarified KCNA 15 Jun 2015 -- The DPRK government Monday released a statement to mark the 15th anniversary of the north-south summit, the first of its kind in the history of national division, and the publication of the June 15 joint declaration.
- Officials Expect Korea MERS Outbreak to End Before July VOA 15 Jun 2015 -- South Korean health officials reported five new MERS cases Monday, bringing the total number of infected to 150 people, but said the rate of new infections is declining.
- MERS infections in S.Korea increase to 145 with 7 more cases People's Daily 14 Jun 2015 -- Infections with the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) increased to 145 Sunday since the first case was reported on May 20, with seven more cases added, the health ministry said.
- South Korea reports 15th MERS death, 7 new cases Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- Another person has died of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in South Korea, pushing the death toll from the deadly outbreak in the East Asian state to 15.
- Death toll from MERS outbreak in South Korea hits 14 Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- Another person has died of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in South Korea, pushing the death toll from the deadly outbreak in the East Asian state to 14.
- WHO: S. Korea to See More MERS Cases VOA 13 Jun 2015 -- A team of World Health Organization experts say the outbreak of the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome in South Korea is 'large and complex' and more cases should be expected.
- MERS fatalities climb to 13 in South Korea Press TV 12 Jun 2015 -- South Korea has reported its 13th death from Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in what has become the largest outbreak of the virus outside Saudi Arabia.
- MERS infections rise to 122, 1 Chinese infected in S. Korea People's Daily 11 Jun 2015 -- The number of South Koreans diagnosed with the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) increased to 122 since the first case was reported on May 20, while the first case of Chinese infection was reported, the health ministry said on Thursday.
- UN health agency begins review of MERS outbreak in Republic of Korea UN News 10 Jun 2015 -- A joint mission by the United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) and the Republic of Korea's Ministry of Health and Welfare to review the situation regarding the outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS CoV), has begun its work in Seoul, the agency confirmed today.
- Republic of Korea - Aegis Combat System DSCA 09 Jun 2015 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Republic of Korea for Aegis Combat Systems and associated equipment, parts and logistical support for an estimated cost of $1.91 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- North Korea Bans South Korean Snacks at Kaesong Complex VOA 09 Jun 2015 -- North Korea has asked South Korean businesses at the Kaesong industrial complex to replace all foodstuffs given to its workers at the inter-Korean park with North Korea-made products.
- MERS infections in S. Korea rise to 95 with 8 new cases People's Daily 09 Jun 2015 -- Eight infections with the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) were added in South KoreaTuesday, raising the total contagion number to 95 while one more death was reported, the country's health ministry said.
- 7th Person Dies of MERS in South Korea VOA 08 Jun 2015 -- The South Korean Health Ministry has announced the death of a seventh person from Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS.
- S.Korea reports 23 new MERS infections, 1 more death People's Daily 08 Jun 2015 -- South Korea on Monday identified 23 new contagions with the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), increasing the total number to 87 while deaths from the viral disease rose to six as one more death was reported.
- USN and ROK Bolster Alliance in Silent Shark Exercise NNS 08 Jun 2015 -- The U.S. and the Republic of Korea navies are participating in Exercise Silent Shark 2015 in the vicinity of Guam, June 8-12.
- South Korea Plans to Increase Number of Nuclear Reactors to 36 Sputnik 08 Jun 2015 -- South Korea's government has proposed to build two additional nuclear reactors by 2029, increasing the total number of atomic reactors to 36, according to the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy.
- No mutation in MERS virus found in S.Korea People's Daily 06 Jun 2015 -- No mutation in the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) virus was found in South Korea suffering from the virus which has infected 50 people as of Saturday since the first patient was reported on May 20.
- New MERS cases close over 700 schools in South Korea Press TV 04 Jun 2015 -- More than 700 education centers have been temporarily closed in South Korea amid a surge in the number of people infected by the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) virus.
- South Korea, US Kick Off Combined Military Division Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- The new division consists of a brigade from the South Korean Army and the US 2nd Infantry Division in Uijeongbu, north of Seoul. Each unit will carry out normal duties in its assigned areas in peacetime.
- S. Korea test-fires medium-range ballistic missile People's Daily 03 Jun 2015 -- South Korea's military test-fired a ballistic missile with a range of at least 500 km under President Park Geun-hye's observation, the presidential office said on Wednesday.
- South Korea test-fires missiles capable of striking the North Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- South Korea has successfully test-fired two long-range missiles that can hit any target in North Korea as the two states keep fanning the flames of animosity on military grounds.
- South Korea: Test Shows Missile Can Hit 'Any Target' in North VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- South Korea said it has tested a ballistic missile capable of hitting any target in North Korea, in what is seen as a response to recent military provocations by Pyongyang.
- South Korea, US begin massive joint anti-submarine drills Press TV 01 Jun 2015 -- South Korean and US forces have launched major anti-submarine military drills off South Korea's island of Jeju in response to what they call provocations by North Korean submarines.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list