Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2015 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- S. Korea test-fires medium-range ballistic missile People's Daily 03 Jun 2015 -- South Korea's military test-fired a ballistic missile with a range of at least 500 km under President Park Geun-hye's observation, the presidential office said on Wednesday.
- South Korea test-fires missiles capable of striking the North Press TV 03 Jun 2015 -- South Korea has successfully test-fired two long-range missiles that can hit any target in North Korea as the two states keep fanning the flames of animosity on military grounds.
- South Korea: Test Shows Missile Can Hit 'Any Target' in North VOA 03 Jun 2015 -- South Korea said it has tested a ballistic missile capable of hitting any target in North Korea, in what is seen as a response to recent military provocations by Pyongyang.
- S. Korea, China Criticize Japan PM Abe's Speech VOA 30 Apr 2015 -- Authorities in South Korea and China were mostly critical of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's speech to the U.S. Congress.
- S.Korea assesses new U.S.-Japan defense cooperation guideline People's Daily 28 Apr 2015 -- South Korea on Tuesday assessed the new guideline for defense cooperation between the United States and Japan 'neither positively nor negatively' due to remaining concerns over military operation of Japanese forces in and around the Korean Peninsula.
- US and ROK Navies Strengthen Partnerships Through ASW Cooperation NNS 28 Apr 2015 -- Senior leaders from the U.S. and Republic of Korea navies met at the headquarters of the Republic of Korea Fleet April 27, for a series of staff talks on anti-submarine warfare (ASW) cooperation.
- S.Korea struggles to resolve wage issue with DPRK in economic zone People's Daily 27 Apr 2015 -- South Korea is struggling to resolve the wage hike issue with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea(DPRK) for workers employed by South Korean companies in the Kaesong industrial complex as the DPRK-proposed deadline went by last week.
- S.Korea approves fertilizer aid to DPRK first in 5 years People's Daily 27 Apr 2015 -- South Korea on Monday approved a fertilizer aid to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) for the first time in five years.
- Seoul to Deploy Guided Rocket to Target North Korean Vessels Sputnik 26 Apr 2015 -- The rocket, which has been under development since 2012, is equipped with an uncooled infrared detector and can detect several targets simultaneously, according to the news outlet.
- S.Korea, DPRK still in deadlock on wage hike for economic zone People's Daily 20 Apr 2015 -- South Korea and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) is still in deadlock on the issue for wage hike of DPRK workers in the joint industrial complex in the DPRK's border town of Kaesong.
- Republic of Korea, United States, Japan Defense Trilateral Talks Joint Statement DoD 17 Apr 2015 -- The Republic of Korea, the United States of America, and Japan held a productive and substantive security meeting from April 16-17 in Washington, District of Columbia, to enhance trilateral defense cooperation in light of the evolving security environment in the region.
- The 7th Korea-U.S. Integrated Defense Dialogue (KIDD), Washington, D.C. DoD 15 Apr 2015 -- The Department of Defense and Republic of Korea (ROK) Ministry of National Defense held the 7th Korea-U.S. Integrated Defense Dialogue (KIDD) on April 14-15 in Washington, District of Columbia.
- Koreas at Odds Over Kaesong Wage Fees VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- The government in Seoul says North Korea is set to charge South Korean firms a controversial late fee for not paying workers at the Kaesong Industrial Complex a disputed wage increase.
- US Dismisses Disagreement With Seoul on N Korea Nuclear Threat VOA 14 Apr 2015 -- The U.S. has dismissed media reports that Washington and Seoul have different assessments of Pyongyang's nuclear ability to miniaturize a nuclear weapon.
- Future is in Asia-Pacific Region, Carter Says AFPS 10 Apr 2015 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter thanked U.S. troops at Osan Air Base, South Korea, for their service and spoke to them about the importance of the Asia-Pacific region.
- Readout between Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and Republic of Korea President Park Geun-hye. DoD 10 Apr 2015
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter meeting with Republic of Korea National Security Advisor Director Kim Kwan-jin. DoD 10 Apr 2015
- Republic of Korea Sailor Embarks Aboard USS Chief for Foal Eagle NNS 10 Apr 2015 -- Republic of Korea (ROK) Lt. j.g. Gyeong Min Lee, operations officer of ROK Ship Hae Nam (MSH 573), embarked aboard mine countermeasures ship USS Chief (MCM 14) to further cooperation between the U.S. and ROK navies during Exercise Foal Eagle, April 5-11.
- No consultation on THAAD during S. Korea, U.S. defense ministers' talks People's Daily 10 Apr 2015 -- No consultation was made Friday about the deployment of an advanced U.S. missile defense system, the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD), on the Korean Peninsula during talks between South Korean Defense Minister Han Min-koo and visiting U.S. Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter.
- Carter: No Plans Yet to Deploy Advanced Missile System in South Korea VOA 10 Apr 2015 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter, on a visit to South Korea, said the U.S. military is preparing to deploy new weapons in the region, including stealth fighters and different classes of naval vessels, but is not yet prepared to discuss deployment of an advanced missile defense system.
- US and ROK Submarine Forces Participate in 41st SWCM NNS 08 Apr 2015 -- Commander, Submarine Group (COMSUBGRU) 7 conducted bilateral talks with the Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN) March 31 - April 2 at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
- US Denies Reports of High Altitude Defense Deployment in South Korea Sputnik 08 Apr 2015 -- The United States is not discussing the deployment of a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile interceptor battery on the Korean Peninsula with its South Korean partners, US Assistant Secretary of Arms Control Frank Rose told the press.
- ROK, DPRK reconfirm differences in wage hike for economic zone People's Daily 08 Apr 2015 -- South Koreaand the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) reconfirmed their different positions on wage hike for DPRK workers in the Kaesong industrial zone during Tuesday contact, Seoul's unification ministry said on Wednesday.
- S. Korea Watching for Possible North Korea Missile Launch VOA 06 Apr 2015 -- South Korea said its military remains vigilant against a possible missile launch by North Korea following media reports that Pyongyang might launch a ballistic missile before a planned visit to Seoul this week by U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter.
- Missile Fears Proved Futile: Reports on N Korea's No-Sail Zone Dismissed Sputnik 06 Apr 2015 -- North Korea has not notified the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and neighboring countries of its declaration of a no-fly, no-sail zone off its coast and is showing no signs of any immediate ballistic missile launch, Seoul's defense ministry says on Monday.
- U.S., ROK Marines strengthen alliance through annual exercise USMC News 03 Apr 2015 -- Republic of Korea and U.S. Marines completed a large-scale bilateral exercise here April 1.
- S. Korean Official Casts Doubt on Inter-Korean Leaders Meeting VOA 02 Apr 2015 -- A senior South Korean official expressed doubt Thursday that an inter-Korean summit will happen during Russia's Victory Day ceremony next month.
- Republic of Korea - AGM-114R1 Hellfire Missiles DCSA 01 Apr 2015 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Republic of Korea for AGM-114R1 Hellfire Missiles and associated equipment, parts, training and logistical support for an estimated cost of $81 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on March 30, 2015.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list