Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2012 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Japan Launches South Korean Satellite Into Orbit VOA 18 May 2012 -- Early Friday, Japan successfully launched a South Korean satellite. The historical accomplishment puts the Japanese in the same arena as European and Russian entities in the lucrative commercial space launch business.
- U.S.-South Korea Alliance Provides Security in Northeast Asia AFPS 16 May 2012 -- The U.S.-South Korea alliance provides security and stability in Northeast Asia and that partnership will continue into the future, said Brig. Gen. Kang Yong-hee.
- S. Korean Forces to Stage Drills KCNA 16 May 2012 -- The 65th Division of the south Korean forces announced that it would stage 2012 Ssangryong exercises from May 16 to 18.
- Seoul: Burma to Comply with UN Resolutions on Pyongyang VOA 15 May 2012 -- Burma has promised visiting South Korean President Lee Myung-bak it will no longer buy weapons from North Korea.
- Four South Koreans Being Held in China VOA 15 May 2012 -- South Korea's foreign ministry says China has been holding four of its citizens in Dandong, activists linked to North Korean refugees, since their arrest March 29 in Dalian.
- S. Korea Plans to Stage Field Tactical Exercise KCNA 14 May 2012 -- The 25th division of the south Korean army announced that it would stage a field tactical exercise from May 15 to 25 in the area of Kyonggi Province.
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korea-US Exercises KCNA 12 May 2012 -- The south Koreans on May 7 commenced a large-scale joint aerial warfare exercise "Max Thunder" with the US in the sky over the area west of the Korean Peninsula.
- South Korea to File Complaints About North's Alleged GPS Jamming VOA 09 May 2012 -- South Korea is to file formal complaints with Pyongyang and relevant United Nations agencies about jamming of Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver frequencies that it contends emanates from North Korea.
- U.S. and S. Korean Air Forces Kick off Largest-ever Air Drill Targeted against North KCNA 07 May 2012 -- The U.S. 7th Air Force and the south Korean puppet air force Monday kicked off the largest-ever joint air drill across south Korea, according to CBS.
- U.S. Expresses Support for S. Korea Missile Program RIA Novosti 04 May 2012 -- The U.S. Department of State sees no threat in South Korea's ballistic missile program and is set to continue its support for Seoul's efforts to boost the country's defense capabilities.
- Iran, Pakistan, N. Korea May Pose Nuclear Threat to Russia RIA Novosti 04 May 2012 -- A nuclear-armed Iran, Pakistan and North Korea could potentially trigger regional chain reactions that ultimately threaten Russia's security, the former director of Russia's Foreign Intelligence Service, Vyacheslav Trubnikov, said.
- South Korea Starts Building Two New Reactors RIA Novosti 04 May 2012 -- South Korea started on Friday construction work on two nuclear reactors in what President Lee Myung-bak described as a 'big milestone' in the country's atomic industry, Yonhap news agency reported.
- S. Korea Satisfied with UN Tightening of N. Korea Sanctions VOA 03 May 2012 -- South Korea is declaring itself satisfied with the latest action by the U.N. Security Council against its arch-rival, North Korea.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list