Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2011 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- KCNA on US-S. Korean Exercises KCNA 31 Oct 2011 -- The S. Korean military kicked off the exercises 2011 Hoguk with the U.S. in south Korea and there took place the 43rd south Korea-U.S. annual security consultative meeting.
- KCNA on Japan Issue of Comfort Women KCNA 31 Oct 2011 -- A senior official of the Japanese Foreign Ministry asserted "it is the consistent stand of the Japanese government that the issue of claim had already found a complete and final solution."
- KCNA on US and S. Korean Military Moves KCNA 30 Oct 2011 -- Military bosses of the U.S. and south Korea held the 35th "military committee meeting" in Seoul on Oct. 27.
- U.S., South Korean Defense Chiefs Cite Strategic Progress AFPS 28 Oct 2011 -- The United States and South Korea are taking additional steps to advance their military cooperation into a strategic alliance of bilateral, global scope, both nations' defense leaders said today.
- US, South Korea to Increase Defense Posture Against North Korea VOA 28 Oct 2011 -- The U.S. and South Korea have pledged to 'advance combat readiness capabilities' near the disputed sea border with North Korea, warning against any future aggression by Pyongyang. The warning came as defense leaders of the two military allies met for their annual security consultative meeting.
- Joint Press Conference with Secretary Panetta and Republic of Korea Minister of Defense Kim in Seoul, Korea DoD 27 Oct 2011-- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta and Republic of Korea Minister of Defense Kim Kwan-jin
- Media Roundtable with Secretary Panetta, Gen. Dempsey and Gen. Thurman Following Discussions with South Korean Counterpart DoD 27 Oct 2011 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta; Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin E. Dempsey; and Commander, U.S. Forces Korea Gen. James D. Thurman
- U.S., South Korea Maintain Peninsula Security AFPS 27 Oct 2011 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta assured senior South Korean leaders here today that the United States will continue to provide the military forces and capabilities needed to maintain security on the Korean peninsula.
- Panetta Pledges Security Support for South Korea AFPS 26 Oct 2011 -- The United States remains steadfast in its resolve to provide security support for South Korea, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta told service members.
- Panetta Calls South Korea Key U.S. Global Partner AFPS 26 Oct 2011 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta termed the security partnership between the two nations a great force for peace, stability and prosperity on the Asia-Pacific region.
- Panetta thanks troops during Korea visit Army News 26 Oct 2011 -- Leon E. Panetta marked his first visit to Korea as Defense Secretary with a Town Hall Meeting inside Collier Community Fitness Center.
- Panetta Affirms Commitment to South Korea's Defense VOA 26 Oct 2011 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has reaffirmed the American commitment to protect South Korea against provocations from the North.
- Minju Joson: S. Korean Chief Executive's Trip to U.S. KCNA 25 Oct 2011 -- The south Korean conservative authorities are making big publicity about their chief executive's recent U.S. junket describing it as a great success.
- KCNA on Consistent Stand of DPRK Govt. to Denuclearize Korean Peninsula KCNA 20 Oct 2011 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il answers to questions raised by ITAR-TASS of Russia.
- Korean War Relic Steadfastly Monitors 58-Year Truce VOA 20 Oct 2011 -- A group of observers, established in 1953 when a ceasefire was declared in the Korean War, still monitors the truce's validity.
- S. Korean Chief Executive's Remarks Calling for "Principled Dialogue" KCNA 20 Oct 2011 -- A few days ago, the south Korean chief executive claimed holding a "principled south-north dialogue", blaming the stalled dialogue on the DPRK.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Unity of Progressive Forces in S. Korea KCNA 20 Oct 2011 -- The progressive forces of different circles in south Korea should unite as one to smash the scheme of the conservative group to come back to power.
- S. Korean Firing Exercises in West Sea KCNA 20 Oct 2011 -- Shortly ago, the south Koreans staged firing exercises in the West Sea of Korea around five islands including Paekryong and Yonphyong.
- S. Korea, Japan Renew Cooperation Pledges Regarding North Korea VOA 19 Oct 2011 -- The leaders of the Japanese and South Korean governments are vowing cooperation on North Korea's illegal nuclear weapons program and other matters involving the communist state.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Ending North-South Confrontation KCNA 19 Oct 2011 -- To remove the state of hostility and confrontation between compatriots is an urgent demand under the serious circumstances and conditions of the north-south relations at present.
- KCNA on S. Korean Policy KCNA 18 Oct 2011 -- The authorities of south Korea are beefing up the repressive force through extensive rearrangement and reinforcement of machineries engaged in political supervision at home.
- New Japanese PM in South Korea for Key Summit VOA 18 Oct 2011 -- Japanese PM Noda has opened a five-day visit to South Korea set to include a bilateral summit aimed at easing long-strained relations.
- U.S. Arms Sale to S. Korea KCNA 17 Oct 2011 -- The United States sold off 0.6 billion dollar worth of conventional weapons to south Korea last year.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Implementing North-South Declarations KCNA 15 Oct 2011 -- All the Koreans in the north and the south and abroad should turn out to implement north-south declarations.
- South Korean President Addresses US Congress, Stresses Strong Alliance VOA 14 Oct 2011 -- South Korean President Lee Myung-bak has addressed a joint meeting of the U.S. Congress and was warmly received by both Democratic and Republican members of the House and the Senate. He stressed the strong economic ties the two countries share and the mutual defense alliance they forged 58 years ago to the day Thursday.
- Obama: Iran Must be Held Accountable VOA 13 Oct 2011 -- President Barack Obama says Iran's government must be held accountable for what he calls 'dangerous and reckless behavior' in what the U.S. has alleged was a plot to assassinate Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United States. President Obama spoke during a joint news conference with South Korean President Lee Myung-bak.
- Korea Secures $1.1 bil Submarine Deal With Indonesia Kim Han-ul, Arirang News. OCT 11, 2011 - Korea has made its first step into the global submarine exports market by securing the country's largest single overseas defense contract. Korea's Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering said on Monday that it will sign a contract with Indonesia next month to build submarines.
- U.S., S. Korean Warmongers' Reckless Saber-rattling under Fire KCNA 07 Oct 2011 -- The bellicose forces at home and abroad kicked up extremely reckless rackets of military confrontation with the DPRK in south Korea in September.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list