Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2011 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- South Korean Police Probing Country's Worst-Ever Cyber Attack VOA 29 Jul 2011 -- South Korean authorities and online security analysts say they are assessing the extent of damage caused by what may be the largest data breach in the country's history.
- S. Korean Nuclear Envoy Cautious About Renewed Diplomacy with North VOA 29 Jul 2011 -- South Korea's chief nuclear envoy says he is not very optimistic about the United States' and South Korea's renewed diplomatic engagement with North Korea.
- Obama, Thurman Commemorate Korean Armistice Anniversary AFPS 27 Jul 2011 -- President Barack Obama commemorated the anniversary of the armistice agreement that established a demilitarized zone between North and South Korea and brought an end to fighting there.
- Presidential Proclamation - National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day, 2011 The White House 26 Jul 2011
- South Korean Groups Send Truckloads of Flour Into North VOA 26 Jul 2011 -- For the first time in more than a year, South Korean civic groups Tuesday sent hundreds of tons of flour across the border to North Korea.
- S. Korean Authorities Accused of Disturbing Businessmen' Work KCNA 26 Jul 2011 -- Spokesman for the Guidance Bureau of the Special Zone for International Tour of Mt. Kumgang of the DPRK on the negotiations for the adjustment of real estate of the south side in Mt. Kumgang resort.
- Seoul Takes Cautious Approach with North Korea VOA 25 Jul 2011 -- International diplomacy appears to be paving the way for Pyongyang to return to the negotiating table.
- ASEAN Optimistic About Regional Security, Challenges Remain VOA 25 Jul 2011 -- Last week's Association of Southeast Asian Nations security conference produced an agreement on how to address South China Sea disputes and a breakthrough meeting between North and South Korea.
- Rodong Sinmun Terms Ulji Freedom Guardian Dangerous KCNA 25 Jul 2011 -- Shortly ago, the south Korean authorities announced that south Korea would stage together with the U.S. the joint military exercises Ulji Freedom Guardian.
- Russia enters S. Korean tender with 5th-generation fighter RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2011 -- Russia's Sukhoi T-50 PAK-FA fifth-generation fighter has been placed on a short list of a South Korean tender.
- U.S., Korea sign aviation agreement Army News 25 Jul 2011 -- A memorandum of agreement between the Republic of Korea Army Aviation Operations Command and U.S. Forces Korea was signed July 22.
- S. Korean Soldier Commits Suicide KCNA 25 Jul 2011 -- A soldier of a military unit in Cholwon of south Korean Kangwon Province committed suicide by exploding a hand grenade on July 22.
- India signs civil nuclear deal with South Korea IRNA 25 Jul 2011 -- India signed a civil nuclear cooperation deal with South Korea, allowing a framework for Korean companies to participate in atomic power projects.
- Pak Ui Chun said Situation Prevailing Requires Negotiated Solution of Fundamental Issue KCNA 24 Jul 2011 -- The DPRK government will in the future, too, boost the friendly and cooperative relations with the regional countries in the idea of its foreign policy and make every possible effort to defend the peace and security in the Korean Peninsula and the region.
- Minju Joson Urges U.S., S. Koreans to Stop Exercises KCNA 24 Jul 2011 -- Shortly ago, the south Koreans announced they would stage "Ulji Freedom Guardian" joint military exercises in collusion with the U.S. from August 16 to 26.
- South, North Korean FMs meet for first time in 3 years RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2011 -- South and North Korean foreign ministers, Kim Sung-hwan and Pak Ui-chun, held a brief meeting on Saturday on the sidelines of an ASEAN forum in Bali, Indonesia, Yonhap said.
- Night Flight Training of U.S. Air Force Unit in S. Korea Planned KCNA 23 Jul 2011 -- The U.S. forces in south Korea are set to stage a night flight training in Kunsan from July 25.
- US Calls North-South Korea Meeting 'Important Step' VOA 22 Jul 2011 -- The United States says the meeting between North and South Korean diplomats at the ASEAN conference in Bali is an important step.
- North, South Korea agree to resume six-party talks RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2011 -- South and North Korea have agreed to take joint efforts to resume the stalled six-party talks on ending the North's nuclear program.
- Moscow hails N.Korea's readiness to resume six-party talks RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2011 -- Moscow hails North Korea's readiness to resume six-party talks on the country's controversial nuclear issue.
- North, South Korea Hold Talks at ASEAN Conference VOA 22 Jul 2011 -- Diplomats from North and South Korea discuss resuming six-nation talks on Pyongyang's nuclear weapons.
- Envoys From North And South Korea Have 'Constructive' Talks RFE/RL 22 Jul 2011 -- South Korea's nuclear envoy said he had had "constructive" talks with his North Korean counterpart.
- Japan, South Korea At Odds Again Over Territorial Dispute VOA 21 Jul 2011 -- South Korean government officials say they will react with unspecified but various "countermeasures" if a group of conservative Japanese lawmakers attempts to visit a disputed small island.
- Provocative Remarks of Speaker of S. Korean National Assembly KCNA 21 Jul 2011 -- Pak Hui Thae, speaker of the south Korean National Assembly talked about "differences between constitutional ideas."
- US Submarine Texas' Entry into Pusan Port of S. Korea KCNA 20 Jul 2011 -- The U.S. recently brought its nuclear submarine Texas belonging to the U.S. 7th Fleet carrying latest hardware including Tomahawk missiles to Pusan Port of south Korea.
- KCNA on Japan's Ambition to Stage Comeback to Korea KCNA 19 Jul 2011 -- Japan is set to lay a groundwork for the advance of the Japan "Self-Defence Forces" into the Korean Peninsula according to a diplomatic cable of the U.S. embassy in Tokyo disclosed by WikiLeaks.
- US Forces' Stockpile of Depleted Uranium Shells in S. Korea Disclosed KCNA 19 Jul 2011 -- It has been recently disclosed that the U.S. forces in south Korea stockpiled depleted uranium shells in their base in Chunchon.
- S. Korean Conservative Authorities Suppressing Progressive Forces KCNA 19 Jul 2011 -- The south Korean conservative authorities have recently become desperate in their campaign to suppress the progressive forces.
- S. Korea's "White Paper on Human Rights of North" KCNA 18 Jul 2011 -- The "2011 white paper on human rights of the north" recently released is an anti-DPRK document.
- Rodong Sinmun Discloses Unpopular Nature of S. Korean Conservative Regime KCNA 18 Jul 2011 -- The Lee Myung Bak regime of south Korea leaves no means untried to achieve its political aims.
- US, S. Koreans Plan to Stage Joint Maneuvers KCNA 18 Jul 2011 -- The U.S. and the south Koreans are planning to stage Ulji Freedom Guardian joint military exercises from August 16 to 26.
- S. Korean Army Tank Overturned in Rehearsal KCNA 18 Jul 2011 -- A tank of the south Korean army was overturned in Popwon-ri, Phaju City, Kyonggi Province during exercises.
- Rodong Sinmun on US-S. Korea Military Exercise KCNA 17 Jul 2011 -- South Koreans recently staged the combined exercise of the US Marine Corps in areas around Paekryong Island for more than 10 days.
- US and S. Korean Authorities Accused of Spawning Nuclear Issue KCNA 16 Jul 2011 -- Rodong Sinmun carries a by-lined commentary on U.S. arming its forces in south Korea with nuclear weapons.
- KCNA on S. Korean Conservatives KCNA 16 Jul 2011 -- South Korean conservatives making last-ditch efforts to prolong its remaining days in a bid to tide over the ever-worsening ruling crisis.
- KCNA on US Submarine to S. Korea KCNA 16 Jul 2011 -- The U.S. forces in south Korea recently opened to the public the nuclear submarine Texas belonging to the U.S. 7th Fleet which they brought to Pusan Port.
- More Suicides in S. Korean Army KCNA 16 Jul 2011 -- Suicides are increasing in the south Korean army.
- Mullen Seeks Multilateral Deterrence Against North Korea AFPS 14 Jul 2011 -- The top U.S. military leader today warned North Korea to expect “a very strong response” to a future attack.
- Mullen Warns South Korea of Continued Threat From North VOA 14 Jul 2011 -- America's highest ranking military officer says North Korea poses a "very real" threat to South Korea.
- One More Soldier of S. Korean Puppet Army Commits Suicide KCNA 14 Jul 2011 -- A soldier belonging to the 1st Division of the south Korean Marine Corps present in Phohang, North Kyongsang Province committed suicide.
- KCNA on Moves to Ignite War against DPRK KCNA 13 Jul 2011 -- Lee Myung Bak organized a targeting incident insulting the dignity of the leadership of the DPRK.
- North-South Negotiations Held to Readjust Real Estates of S. Side at Mt. Kumgang Resort KCNA 13 Jul 2011 -- Negotiations of those concerned in the north and the south were held at Mt. Kumgang resort on July 13 to readjust the real estates of the south side at Mt. Kumgang resort.
- Air-Refueling Drills to Be Staged in S. Korea KCNA 13 Jul 2011 -- The U.S. and the south Korean air force plan to stage two air-refueling drills in the sky above south Korea every year.
- KCNA on ROK Confrontation with DPRK KCNA 12 Jul 2011 -- The provocations committed by the south Korean military against the DPRK were neither individual acts nor accidental.
- KCNA on US-S. Korea Joint Military Exercise KCNA 12 Jul 2011 -- Some days ago, the United States and the south Korean military staged a joint scientific exercise.
- Lee Myung Bak Accused of Its Provocations against DPRK KCNA 11 Jul 2011 -- Lee Myung Bak provocations against the DPRK escalating the danger of a war of aggression against it.
- KCNA on Hyon In Thak Education Policy KCNA 11 Jul 2011 -- Hyon In Thaek, minister of Unification of south Korea, massively produced and distributed new textbooks recently.
- KCNA on ROK Policy KCNA 10 Jul 2011 -- Provocations hurting the system and dignity of the DPRK perpetrated by the south Koreans are a clear declaration of war.
- Tragic Cases Occur in S. Korean Puppet Army KCNA 10 Jul 2011 -- A south Korean army soldier shot his several colleagues to death at a Kanghwado coastal post of the Second Division of the Marine Corps.
- Rodong Sinmum on ROK Policy KCNA 09 Jul 2011 -- The army and people of the DPRK will never pardon the Lee Myung Bak, which pushed the north-south relations to an irreparable phase.
- Rodong Sinmum on Lee Myung Bak KCNA 09 Jul 2011 -- S. Korea dared to slander the dignity of the leadership of the DPRK and hurt its inviolable system and made provocative remarks.
- S. Korea Working on New Resettlement Facility for Defectors from North VOA 07 Jul 2011 -- South Korea will soon begin construction of a new resettlement facility for North Korean defectors.
- S. Korean Minister of Unification of Creating New Department for Anti-north Operations KCNA 06 Jul 2011 -- Hyon In Thaek recently reported to have created a new department for "coping with crisis" inside his ministry.
- KCNA on S. Korean Human Rights Policy KCNA 06 Jul 2011 -- The campaign kicked off by south Korea over its "human rights issue" is a base farce.
- KCNA on Provocations against DPRK KCNA 06 Jul 2011 -- The south Koreans' daily escalating provocations against the DPRK are a blatant challenge and a clear declaration of a war against the DPRK.
- S. Koreans to Stage Field Tactical Drill KCNA 06 Jul 2011 -- The 25th Division of the south Korean army announced it would stage large-scale field tactical drill in Phaju, Yangju and Ryonchon, Kyonggi Province.
- S. Korean Forces Attacked in Afghanistan KCNA 06 Jul 2011 -- A unit of the south Korean army in Afghanistan was attacked by rocket shells of the armed forces of the country on July 3.
- KCNA on S. Korean Authorities' Plan on West Sea Islands KCNA 05 Jul 2011 -- The south Korean forces are vociferating about the "comprehensive plan for the development of the five islands in the West Sea."
- KCNA on S. Korean Provocation against DPRK KCNA 05 Jul 2011 -- The south Korean's recent serious provocations against the DPRK escalate north-south confrontation.
- Provincial Rallies Condemn Lee Myung Bak Administration KCNA 05 Jul 2011 -- Army-people rallies took place in South Phyongan, Jagang and North Hamgyong provinces to condemn the crimes of Lee Myung Bak.
- KCNA on S. Korean Authorities' Action against Rev. Han KCNA 04 Jul 2011 -- The South Koreans sentenced Rev. Han Sang Ryol to 3-years in jail and the same term of suspension of qualification.
- All Koreans Called upon to Remain True to Three Principles of National Reunification KCNA 04 Jul 2011 -- The three principles of national reunification clarified in the July 4 joint statement serve as a great programme of reunification.
- Joint Statement Produced by Kim Il Sung's Patriotism KCNA 04 Jul 2011 -- On July 4, Juche 61 (1972), the north and south of Korea released a historic joint statement.
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korean Provocation KCNA 03 Jul 2011 -- The reckless provocative moves, now being made by the south Koreans against the DPRK, remind one Syngman Rhee.
- Minju Joson on Lee Myung Bak Administration KCNA 02 Jul 2011 -- Lee Myung Bak perpetrated provocations hurting the system and dignity of the DPRK.
- KCNA on S. Korea and Islands in West Sea KCNA 02 Jul 2011 -- South Korea announced a plan to develop five islands in the West Sea into international tourist destinations.
- Rodong Sinmun on Lee Myung Bak Administration KCNA 02 Jul 2011 -- Lee Myung Bak has brought the inter-Korean relations to collapse and escalated tension on the Korean Peninsula and the root cause of national disasters.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list