Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2010 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- N. Korea fires more shells toward S. Korea amid tensions RIA Novosti 28 Jan 2010 -- North Korea has fired several artillery shells toward a South Korean island in the Yellow Sea following a recent exchange of fire near the disputed maritime border, the Yonhap news agency said Thursday.
- U.S., ROK train side by side in simulated exercise Army News 26 Jan 2010 -- 'Manchus' from 2nd Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment, 1st Heavy Brigade Combat Team, trained alongside with some very special guests at the Close Combat Tactical Trainer facility on USAG-Casey.
- News Agency: Two Koreas Exchange Artillery Fire Along Western Sea Border VOA 26 Jan 2010 -- South Korea's Yonhap news agency says North and South Korea have exchanged artillery fire along their disputed western sea border.
- Plan for "Field Tactical Exercises" Announced in S. Korea KCNA 24 Jan 2010 -- The 53rd Infantry Division of the south Korean puppet army announced that it would launch "midwinter field tactical exercises" on three stages from Jan. 25 to the end of February, according to south Korea's Yonhap News.
- CPRK Blasts S. Korean Conservatives' Anti-DPRK Racket KCNA 24 Jan 2010 -- A spokesman of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea Saturday released a statement condemning the south Korean conservative forces for pushing the inter-Korean relations to an extreme phase of confrontation by kicking up a crazy anti-DPRK racket quite contrary to the desire of the fellow countrymen for national concord and reunification and the trend of the times.
- KPA General Staff Blasts S. Korean Defense Minister's Outbursts KCNA 24 Jan 2010 -- A spokesman for the General Staff of the Korean People's Army Sunday released a statement blasting the outbursts about "preemptive strike" let loose by the south Korean puppet defense minister which have created such grave situation under which the tragic June 25 war may repeat itself on the Korean Peninsula at any moment.
- N.Korea lashes out at South's talk of preemptive strike RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2010 -- North Korea on Sunday lashed out at the South's remark earlier this month that it could launch a preemptive strike against Pyongyang's nuclear facilities, calling the comment 'a declaration of war."
- Inter-Korean Working Contact for KIZ Held KCNA 21 Jan 2010 -- An inter-Korean working contact for revitalizing the Kaesong Industrial Zone (KIZ) took place in the zone from January 19 to 21.
- South Korean Human Rights Body Breaks Silence on Abuses in North VOA 20 Jan 2010 -- South Korea's government-funded human rights watchdog has issued its first report on widespread abuses in North Korea. The report reflects a significant shift in South Korea's approach to Pyongyang.
- DPRK Warns S. Korean Authorities of Anti-DPRK Operation KCNA 15 Jan 2010 -- A spokesman for the DPRK National Defence Commission issued a statement on January 15 which reads in full:
- N.Korea seeks to resume cross-border tours from S.Korea RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2010 -- North Korea on Thursday moved to reopen talks with the South on resuming cross-border tours to a scenic mountain area and a border town, which were halted in 2008.
- S. Koreas' Projected Field Mobile Exercises under Fire KCNA 09 Jan 2010 -- The 26th motorized infantry division of the puppet army announced on Jan. 7 that it would stage field mobile exercises in the areas of the cities of Yangju and Tongduchon, Kyonggi Province from Jan. 11 to 15, according to the south Korean Yonhap News.
- S. Koreas' War Exercises Assailed KCNA 09 Jan 2010 -- The first field army of the south Korean puppet ground force staged the so-called "exercises for coping with infiltration and provocation of a local war" with the mobilization of all its personnel at the dawn of the New Year's day under the pretext of fending off "enemy intrusions" to be made "simultaneously" on land and along the coast. Earlier, the third fleet of the Navy of the puppet army kicked off a fuss, detecting, tracking and seizing ships secretly entering Pusan Port in a coordinated operation with "the maritime police agency on the southern coast."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list