Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2009 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- U.S. welcomes S.Korea's plans to send troops to Afghanistan RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2009 -- Washington supports and welcomes South Korea's plans to deploy troops to Afghanistan to protect its nationals working in humanitarian organizations, the U.S. Department of State said.
- South Korea to send troops to Afghanistan RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2009 -- South Korea plans to deploy troops to Afghanistan to protect its nationals working in humanitarian organizations, the Yonhap news agency said on Friday.
- Statement by the Press Secretary on the Contributions by the Republic of Korea to Afghanistan The White House 30 Oct 2009
- S. Korean Resident Defects to DPRK KCNA 27 Oct 2009 -- Kang Tong Rim, 30, who resided in Polgyo Township, Posong County, South Jolla Province of south Korea, Monday came over to the northern half of Korea by crossing the Military Demarcation Line in the eastern sector of the front.
- South Korean defects to North Korea, fulfills dream RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2009 -- A South Korean citizen fled to communist North Korea through heavily armed border posts, fulfilling his long-standing dream, Korean media reported on Tuesday.
- South Korea Offers Humanitarian Aid to North VOA 26 Oct 2009 -- South Korea is preparing what may be its first aid transfer to North Korea in almost two years. The humanitarian gesture is a tiny fraction of the assistance previous governments extended to Pyongyang.
- Mullen Vows Continued Support for Korean Military AFPS 23 Oct 2009 -- As S. Korea’s military transitions to full operational control, important to remember 60 years of US commitment to the country.
- DoD News: 41st U.S.-RoK Security Consultative Meeting Joint Communique DoD 23 Oct 2009-- The following is the text of a joint communiqué issued in Seoul, Korea, on Oct. 22, 2009
- Transcript: Remarks by Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates from Yongsan Garrison, Seoul DoD 22 Oct 2009-- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates
- Gates Reaffirms Commitment to South Korea AFPS 22 Oct 2009 -- Defense Secretary Gates reaffirmed US ’ “unwavering commitment” to its alliance with the South Korea.
- US, South Korea Reaffirm Alliance, Timetable for Command Hand-Over VOA 22 Oct 2009 -- US and ROK have wrapped up meeting with assurances that ROK is on track to assume more autonomy over its defense.
- USS Los Angeles Hosts Republic of Korea Navy Navy NewsStand 22 Oct 2009 -- Commander, Submarine Group 7 conducted bilateral talks with the Republic of Korea Navy leadership Oct. 20.
- Gates Calls on South Korea to Expand Security Role AFPS 21 Oct 2009 -- Defense Secretary Gates called on the longtime US ally to assume a larger security role on the Korean peninsula and beyond.
- US Defense Secretary Urges South Korea to Spend More on Security VOA 21 Oct 2009 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Gates: North Korea remains a real threat to security on the Korean peninsula and in the world.
- Gates to Meet New Japanese Leaders, Talk Security With South Koreans VOA 18 Oct 2009 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates heads to Japan and South Korea this week with North Korea's nuclear and missile programs and the new Japanese government's defense policies high on the agenda. The visits come just a couple of weeks before President Barack Obama will visit the two countries.
- 2 Koreas Plan Talks on Flood Control, Family Reunions VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- North and South Korea have agreed to hold talks on managing shared waterways and arranging more reunions between families.
- S.Korean anti-communists to drop radios in North via balloons RIA Novosti 08 Oct 2009 -- A South Korean anti-communist group plans to attach 300 pocket radios to balloons and drop them in North Korea.
- US Call for S. Korea's Participation in Missile Shield KCNA 07 Oct 2009 -- US forces underscored the "necessity" of south Korea in the establishment of missile defence system.
- Eighth U.S. Army to return Camps Eagle, Long Army News 07 Oct 2009 -- Eighth US Army announced plans to close Camps Eagle and Long in the Wonju area Oct. 5.
- South Korea Refuses to Return 11 North Korean Defectors VOA 04 Oct 2009 -- South Korean officials say Seoul has rejected a demand from North Korea to return 11 defectors.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list