Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2009 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- South Korea says North 'definitely' enriches uranium RIA Novosti 30 Jun 2009 -- North Korea seems to be pressing ahead with uranium enrichment, with a view to making more nuclear weapons.
- South Korea: North is Enriching Uranium VOA 30 Jun 2009 -- South Korea's defense minister: N. Korea appears to be pushing forward with enrichment program, raising fears it may use material to make weapons.
- Cases of Aerial Espionage against DPRK on Steady Increase KCNA 30 Jun 2009 -- US the south Korean perpetrated aerial espionage against the DPRK in June by mobilizing reconnaissance planes.
- KCNA Blasts U.S. Dangerous Moves for New War KCNA 29 Jun 2009 -- Commander of the US forces in south Korea: South Korean forces should get ready to cope with possible large-scale conflicts.
- Senior ROK-U.S. Soldiers train together at Korea Combat Training Center Army News 24 Jun 2009 -- Senior US and ROK Army trained together June 22 at the Korea Combat Training Center in Gwangwon In-Je.
- S. Korean Minister Says Social Instability Increasing in North VOA 22 Jun 2009 -- South Korea's chief official on North Korea policy says he believes acts of international defiance are aimed at shoring up power at home.
- Aim Sought by U.S. in Its Promise to Provide "Nuclear Umbrella" to S. Korea Disclose KCNA 22 Jun 2009 -- US invited Lee Myung Bak and clarified that it would provide south Korea with "extended nuclear deterrence."
- S. Korean Plan for War Exercises Announced KCNA 22 Jun 2009 -- Command of the First Army Corps announced it would stage "exercises for implementing an operational plan reminiscent of the June 25 war".
- South Korean War Outbursts Assailed KCNA 22 Jun 2009 --ROK military attending an event "commemorating the anniversary of the West Sea incident": "frustration of provocations on the spot."
- North-South Working Contact Made KCNA 19 Jun 2009 -- The north-south working contact for the revision of contracts on the Kaesong Industrial Zone (KIZ) was made in Kaesong on Friday.
- Korea Talks Produce Little Progress on Joint Factory Park VOA 19 Jun 2009 -- Thee future of a joint North-South Korean industrial park is still unclear after the latest round of working level talks between the two sides.
- North, South Korea hold talks on future of industrial park RIA Novosti 19 Jun 2009 -- Officials from North and South Korea held a round of talks in Seoul on the future of the Kaesong industrial park.
- Remarks by President Obama and President Lee Myung-Bak, 6-16-09 The White House 16 Jun 2009
- Joint Vision for the Alliance of the United States of America and the Republic of Korea The White House 16 Jun 2009
- South Korea Keeps Maritime Vigil Amid Tensions With North VOA 16 Jun 2009 -- Latest tensions over N. Korea's nuclear weapons program is playing out in waters west of the Korean peninsula.
- North Korea Must Renounce Nuclear Weapons, Obama, Lee Say AFPS 16 Jun 2009 -- Obama: Given N. Korea’s bellicose threats, it is unacceptable for the nation to possess nuclear weapons.
- N Korean Nuclear Threat Expected to Dominate US - South Korea Talks VOA 15 Jun 2009 -- South Korean President Lee Myung-bak has departed for the United States, where he plans to meet with President Obama.
- Lee Myung Bak Group's Anti-DPRK Outbursts Rebuked KCNA 14 Jun 2009 -- Lee Myung Bak: North is "threatening global peace and security."
- North-South Working Contact Made KCNA 11 Jun 2009 -- The north-south working contact for the revision of contracts on the Kaesong Industrial Zone was made in Kaesong.
- N.Korea asks South to hike workers' wages at industrial park RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2009 -- North Korea has demanded that South Korean companies raise wages for North Korean workers at the Kaesong.
- North Korea Demands Huge Pay, Rent Increases at Industrial Complex VOA 11 Jun 2009 -- DPRK presented ROK with sharply elevated rent and wage demands for running joint industrial facility inside North.
- S.Korea builds space center for satellite launches RIA Novosti 10 Jun 2009 -- South Korea completed the construction of a space center, which will launch its first rocket launch in late July.
- 20th SUPCOM conducts combined CBRNE training with ROK CBRNE forces Army News 10 Jun 2009 -- Operation Foal Eagle was an opportunity for coalition CBRNE forces to demonstrate their capabilities.
- CPRK Secretariat Releases Detailed Report on Truth about Death of Roh Moo Hyun KCNA 09 Jun 2009 -- Secretariat of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea released a detailed report on the truth about the death of Roh Moo Hyun.
- Joint U.S., S.Korea forces can repel North's aggression RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2009 -- President Lee: S. Korea confident that any military aggression will be repelled by joint US-South Korean forces.
- Chemical companies from U.S., R.O.K. compare techniques Army News 08 Jun 2009 -- Soldiers from 4th Chemical Company and Republic of Korea's 16th Chemical Battalion conducted a joint training exercise.
- S. Korean War Exercises KCNA 07 Jun 2009 -- "Metropolitan Motorized Infantry Division" of the south Korean army staged air-ground joint military exercises in a military drill ground in Phochon, Kyonggi Province.
- Koreas to discuss joint industrial park, South Korean worker RIA Novosti 05 Jun 2009 -- Pyongyang and Seoul have agreed to meet at joint industrial park to discuss the future for the complex.
- North, South Korea to Discuss Troubled Joint Factory Project VOA 05 Jun 2009 -- North and South Korea have arranged a meeting next week to discuss operations at a troubled joint industrial zone.
- South Korea accuses North of violating sea border RIA Novosti 04 Jun 2009 -- South Korea accused North Korea of violating the western sea border between the countries.
- South Korea, ASEAN Condemn North Korean Nuclear Test VOA 01 Jun 2009 -- ROK President Lee and leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations have called on DPRK to give up its nuclear ambitions.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list