Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2022 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Four Killed, 26 Wounded In Quetta Suicide Attack Claimed By Pakistani Taliban RFE/RL Gandhara 30 Nov 2022 -- Four people were killed and 26 wounded when a suicide bomber targeted a police truck in western Pakistan assigned to protect polio workers, officials said, an attack claimed by the Pakistani Taliban.
- TTP Strikes With Deadly Suicide Bombing in Pakistan After Ending Ceasefire Sputnik 30 Nov 2022 -- The attack on Wednesday has left at least five people dead, including two security personnel, as per local authorities.
- Pakistan's New Army Chief Takes Charge Of Military RFE/RL Gandhara 29 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan's new military chief, General Asim Munir, took command of the country's armed forces on November 29 from General Javed Bajwa at a ceremony held in the garrison city of Rawalpindi.
- Pakistan's Former Spymaster Takes Command of Powerful Military VOA 29 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan's new military chief, General Asim Munir, took command Tuesday of the country's nuclear-equipped armed forces amid renewed threats of terrorism and growing calls for him to take the powerful institution out of politics.
- Afghan Taliban to Host Female Pakistan Minister for Bilateral Talks VOA 28 Nov 2022 -- A high-level Pakistani delegation will visit Afghanistan on Tuesday to discuss with the ruling Islamist Taliban cooperation in trade, education, investment, regional connectivity and security.
- Pakistani Taliban Announces End Of Cease-Fire, Orders Attacks RFE/RL Gandhara 28 Nov 2022 -- The banned Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has called off a cease-fire agreed with the government and ordered its fighters to launch attacks across the country.
- Pakistan Taliban Announce Resumption of Nationwide Terror Attacks VOA 28 Nov 2022 -- An outlawed alliance of militant groups waging terrorism in Pakistan declared Monday that it had ordered fighters to resume nationwide attacks, ending an already shaky "unilateral cease-fire" with the government.
- Pakistan Arrests Senator Over Anti-Military Tweets VOA 27 Nov 2022 -- Authorities in Pakistan arrested an opposition senator Sunday for launching what they said was a "highly obnoxious campaign of intimidating tweets" against the country's outgoing military chief and other officers.
- Khan Cancels March To Islamabad, Ends Demand For Early Elections, But Vows To Fight On RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Nov 2022 -- Former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan told thousands of supporters at an anti-government rally that he would fight until his "last drop of blood," but he called off a planned march to the capital, Islamabad, saying he wanted to avoid "havoc" in the country. He also dropped his demands for early elections.
- Pakistan's former premier vows to fight with 'last drop of blood' in first rally since shot Press TV 26 Nov 2022 -- Former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has vowed to keep up his struggle to return to the country's political sphere while delivering his first public speech since being shot in an assassination attempt earlier this month.
- Ousted Pakistan PM Says Party to Quit Provincial Legislatures VOA 26 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan's ousted Prime Minister Imran Khan said Saturday that his party has decided to resign from several regional legislatures in the latest twist in months of political turmoil in the country.
- Pakistani President Green-Lights Intelligence Veteran Munir To Head Powerful Military RFE/RL Gandhara 24 Nov 2022 -- Pakistani President Arif Alvi has confirmed army and intelligence veteran Lieutenant-General Asim Munir to head the country's powerful military, ending days of intense speculation over who would replace retiring General Qamar Javed Bajwa.
- Who is Pakistan's New Army Chief, Lt. Gen. Asim Munir? Sputnik 24 Nov 2022 -- Lieutenant-General Asim Munir is set to take over from incumbent Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa, who will relinquish his post on November 29.
- Pakistan Names New Army Chief Amid Political Turmoil VOA 24 Nov 2022 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif Thursday nominated the former head of the Inter-Services Intelligence, or ISI, the country's main intelligence agency, as head of the powerful military amid deepening political turmoil in the country.
- Pakistani Court Extends Imran Khan's Bail in Foreign Funding Case Sputnik 23 Nov 2022 -- The foreign funding allegations against Imran Khan were first raised in 2014 by one his former aides Akbar Babar, the co-founder of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI). The former prime minister and his aides are facing accusations of illegally receiving funds from foreign entities in an account operated by Khan's party.
- Outgoing Pakistan Army Chief Admits Involvement in Politics VOA 23 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan's outgoing military chief acknowledged Wednesday that decades of "unconstitutional" interference in national politics by his powerful institution had periodically exposed it to public criticism.
- Pakistan Reopens Key Border Crossing Days After Taliban Clash Sputnik 21 Nov 2022 -- The Durand Line border has emerged as a source of tension between Islamabad and Kabul since the Taliban* takeover last August. Several firing incidents have been reported.
- Pakistani Ex-Prime Minister Khan Urges Supporters to Gather on Saturday in Suburbs of Islamabad Sputnik 21 Nov 2022 -- The leader of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) opposition party, former Prime Minister Imran Khan, on Monday called on his supporters to gather on November 26 in Rawalpindi, a city adjacent to Islamabad.
- Pakistan Probes Rare Media Leak of Powerful Army Chief's Family Wealth VOA 21 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan ordered an immediate investigation Monday into what the government said was an "illegal" and "unwarranted leakage" of confidential tax documents of the family of the country's powerful military chief.
- Pakistan to Reopen Busy Afghan Border Crossing Shut Over Fatal Shooting VOA 20 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan has decided to reopen a key southwestern border crossing with landlocked Afghanistan for trade and pedestrian movements starting Monday, a week after sealing the facility over the killing of a Pakistani security guard by an Afghan "terrorist."
- Pakistan Hails Historic Fund to Pay for Climate-Induced Disasters VOA 20 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan welcomed an agreement Sunday at the United Nations climate conference in Egypt that would establish a fund to help developing countries ravaged by the impacts of global warming.
- Pakistani FM stresses on reviewing internal policies to curb terrorism People's Daily 19 Nov 2022 -- Pakistani Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has said that his country needs to review its internal security policies to curb terrorism.
- Pakistan: World Running Out of Patience with Afghan Taliban VOA 18 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan said Friday it would not formally recognize Afghanistan's Taliban government without global consensus and warned the world's patience with the Islamist group is diminishing.
- Two Taliban And Frontier Soldier Killed In Pakistan Blast RFE/RL Gandhara 18 Nov 2022 -- Three people have been killed in an explosion in Pakistan's restive South Waziristan tribal district, although accounts from officials varied over the cause of the blast.
- 'Everyone Is Anxious': Pakistan's Mass Arrests Of Afghan Refugees Fuel Fear Of New Crackdown RFE/RL Gandhara 16 Nov 2022 -- A video shows a group of Afghan men and boys, all tied together with rope, being led away by police officers.
- Militant Ambush, Gunfight Kill 8 Pakistan Security Forces VOA 16 Nov 2022 -- Authorities in Pakistan said Wednesday that two separate militant attacks in the country's northwest had killed at least eight security forces.
- Six Police Killed In Militant Ambush In Northwest Pakistan RFE/RL Gandhara 16 Nov 2022 -- Armed militants have killed six police officers in an ambush in northwestern Pakistan, officials say.
- Chinese FM said justice served after Pakistan sentences Dasu terror attackers to death, vowing to invest more to protect overseas Chinese Global Times 15 Nov 2022 -- It is justice served and a tribute to the Chinese victims killed in the attack, said Chinese Foreign Ministry on Tuesday, vowing to invest more resources to protect overseas Chinese when asked comments on a Pakistani court's death sentence of certain terrorists who organized the Dasu attack that killed 9 Chinese nationals on July 14, 2021.
- Pakistan 'Indefinitely' Halts Afghan Trade via Key Border Point VOA 14 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan is pressing Afghanistan's ruling Taliban government to hand over a suspected killer of a Pakistani security guard before it reopens a busy southwestern border crossing between the two countries.
- Imran Khan's Supporters Resume 'Long March' to Islamabad a Week After Failed Assassination Attempt Sputnik 10 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan's ex-PM Imran Khan commenced his 'haqeeqi azadi' (complete freedom) march to capital Islamabad from Lahore on October 28. On November 3 , Khan suffered bullet wounds to his right leg in an alleged assassination plot en route to Islamabad. Khan has urged Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif to hold a national election at the earliest date.
- Ex-Pakistan PM Khan's Supporters Resume Protest March After Gun Attack VOA 10 Nov 2022 -- Thousands of supporters of former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan resumed a protest march Thursday on the capital, Islamabad, to push for early elections a week after an assassination attempt on the 70-year-old opposition leader halted the rally.
- Soldier, terrorist killed in military operation in NW Pakistan People's Daily 09 Nov 2022 -- A soldier and a terrorist were killed in a military operation in Pakistan's northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, the military said on Tuesday.
- Pakistan Suggests Killing Of Journalist In Kenya Was Targeted RFE/RL Gandhara 08 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan says evidence suggests the shooting of a prominent Pakistani journalist who was living in Kenya may have been an assassination as media watchdog Reporters Without Borders called for an independent United Nations probe into the incident.
- Tensions Escalate Between Pakistan's Ousted PM Khan and Military VOA 08 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan's populist opposition leader Imran Khan has written a rare letter to President Arif Alvi demanding an investigation into what he alleges are "serious wrongdoings" and political interference by top military officials, including the country's spy chief.
- Pakistan's Ex-PM Khan Asks President to Probe Military Officials for Political Interference, Assassination Bid VOA 07 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan's populist opposition leader Imran Khan has written a rare letter to President Arif Alvi demanding an investigation into what he alleges are "serious wrongdoings" and political interference by top military officials, including the country's spy chief.
- Supreme Court Orders Police to File Case Against PM Sharif After Imran Khan Assassination Attempt Sputnik 07 Nov 2022 -- Khan's "Absolute Freedom March" was halted on Thursday following an assassination attempt against Khan, whose convoy reached Wazirabad at that time. Khan openly accused Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and an army official of being behind the attack, in which one person died and at least nine people suffered bullet injuries, including the PTI chief.
- Secretary-General's opening remarks at joint press encounter with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan UN Secretary-General 07 Nov 2022
- Imran Khan to Continue Long March Towards Islamabad Amid Rising Political Tensions in Pakistan Sputnik 06 Nov 2022 -- Supporters of Pakistan's ex-Prime Minister, Imran Khan, took part in nationwide protests after the assassination attempt on him. Last week, he was leading a peaceful march toward Islamabad to demand snap elections that could return him to power, when his container was attacked by at least two gunmen, as stated by PTI party officials.
- Pakistan's Military Rejects Khan's Accusations Of Government-Orchestrated Assassination Attempt RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan's powerful military on November 5 rejected former Prime Minister Imran Khan's accusations that the assassination attempt that he survived on November 3 had been orchestrated by the government and elements from the intelligence services.
- Supporters Hold Nationwide Protests After Attack On Ex-Pakistan PM Khan RFE/RL Gandhara 04 Nov 2022 -- Nationwide rallies were held by supporters of former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan on November 4, a day after he was targeted in an apparent assassination attempt, with protesters blocking key roads in major cities and clashing with security forces.
- Protests break out in Pakistan after Imran Khan assassination attempt Press TV 04 Nov 2022 -- Protest rallies have broken out in major Pakistani cities following a failed assassination attempt against former prime minister Imran Khan.
- Pakistan's Ex-PM Khan Blames Government for Assassination Plot VOA 04 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan's former Prime Minister Imran Khan said Friday in his first public address after surviving an apparent assassination attempt that he was hit by four bullets in his right leg and sustained a fracture.
- Ex-Pakistan PM Imran Khan vows to continue protest march after assassination bid Press TV 04 Nov 2022 -- Former Pakistan premier Imran Khan, who survived an assassination attempt on his life on Thursday, is stable and determined to continue his political march to press the government to call for an early election, his party said on Friday.
- Former Pakistan PM Khan Wounded In Shooting At Convoy, Out Of Danger RFE/RL Gandhara 03 Nov 2022 -- Former Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan was slightly wounded and one of his supporters was killed on November 3 when a gunman opened fire at his convoy in the east of the country, his party and police said. Several other people were also wounded.
- Former Pakistan PM Khan Survives 'Assassination Attempt' VOA 03 Nov 2022 -- Imran Khan, a former prime minister of Pakistan, was wounded in an apparent assassination attempt Thursday while he was leading his ongoing anti-government march on Islamabad.
- Pakistan's former Prime Minister Imran Khan wounded in 'assassination attempt' Press TV 03 Nov 2022 -- Pakistan's former Prime Minister Imran Khan has been shot in the leg in an "assassination attempt" during a political rally.
- Shooting of Former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan US Dept. of State 03 Nov 2022 -- "The United States strongly condemns the shooting of former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan and others at a political rally."
- China to establish yuan clearing arrangements in Pakistan: central bank Global Times 03 Nov 2022 -- The central banks of China and Pakistan recently signed a memorandum of cooperation (MOC) on establishing yuan clearing arrangements in Pakistan, China's central bank announced on Wednesday.
- Joint Statement between the People's Republic of China and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan PRC MofA 02 Nov 2022
- China Urges Pakistan to Ensure Security of Chinese Working on Bilateral Projects VOA 02 Nov 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping hosted wide-ranging bilateral talks on Wednesday with Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and "expressed his great concern" about the security of Chinese nationals in the long-time South Asian allied country.
- China-Pakistan ironclad ties consolidated; key CPEC projects to advance as 'BRI, Chinese modernization benefit all' Global Times 02 Nov 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday held talks with visiting Pakistani Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, and Sharif is one of the world leaders that has visited China right after the conclusion of the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC). Experts said Sharif's visit showed that the China-Pakistan ironclad friendship will be further deepened and will bring more certainty and stability to the region amid the profound changes that the world is experiencing.
- Xi meets Pakistani PM People's Daily 02 Nov 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping met with Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan on his official visit to China at the Great Hall of the People on Wednesday.
- China ready to bolster strategic cooperation with Pakistan, Xi tells PM Sharif Press TV 02 Nov 2022 -- China's President Xi Jinping says Beijing has always placed Pakistan high on its agenda in its neighborhood diplomacy and is willing to enhance strategic cooperation with the country.
- Pakistani PM embarks on 1st official visit to China since taking office, deepening iron-clad friendship and revitalizing flagship projects Global Times 01 Nov 2022 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is embarking on his first official visit to China since taking office in April on Tuesday. He is among the first foreign leaders to visit China after the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China and hopes to learn from "Chinese economic miracle." Amid growing challenges in the world, the visit will deepen the iron-clad friendship between the two countries, which will also push the flagship China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) under the Belt and Road Initiative to a new high level.
- Public health risks increasing in flood-affected Pakistan, warns WHO UN News 01 Nov 2022 -- Although flood waters have continued to recede in many flood-affected areas across Pakistan in recent weeks, around eight million people need essential health assistance, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
- Infectious Disease Outbreaks Threaten Millions of Pakistani Flood Victims VOA 01 Nov 2022 -- World Health Organization officials warn infectious disease outbreaks and malnutrition pose serious health threats to some 8 million Pakistani flood victims.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list