Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2021 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Pakistan's COVID-19 Positivity Rate Dips, But 'We Aren't Out of the Woods', Official Tells VOA VOA 31 May 2021 -- Pakistan reported Monday that the national coronavirus positivity rate had remained well below 5% over the past week, with the country's top health official attributing the declining trend to "effective" government policies, including restrictions on public movement and effective screening of international travelers.
- Prominent Pakistani Journalist Says Banned From TV After Speech Criticizing Military RFE/RL Gandhara 31 May 2021 -- Hamid Mir, Pakistan's most prominent TV presenter, says he has been banned from his primetime nightly talk show after he made an emotional speech critical of the military.
- Pakistani TV Talk Show Host Taken Off Air Allegedly for Criticizing Military VOA 31 May 2021 -- A popular television political talk show host in Pakistan said Monday his employer had removed him from the job for his criticism of the country's powerful military.
- Pakistan PM: Normalizing Ties with India Would Be 'Betrayal' to Kashmiris VOA 30 May 2021 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan said Sunday that bilateral ties with India cannot return to normal until the neighboring country restores the semi-autonomous status of the disputed Kashmir region.
- Afghanistan Asks Pakistan to Take 'Practical Steps' Against Taliban Ahead of US Pullout VOA 28 May 2021 -- The Afghan government's media spokesperson has said his country wants Pakistan to take "practical steps" to close the Taliban bases and end its support for the insurgent group in the wake of the U.S. troop withdrawal from Afghanistan.
- Pakistan Stops Official Contact with Afghan National Security Chief VOA 28 May 2021 -- Pakistan has conveyed to the leadership in Afghanistan it will no longer conduct official business with Kabul's top national security chief because of his recent "abusive outburst" against Islamabad, highly placed officials and diplomatic sources confirmed to VOA Friday.
- Taliban Warn Neighbors Against Hosting US Bases for Military Actions inside Afghanistan VOA 26 May 2021 -- The Taliban called on Afghanistan's neighbors Wednesday not to allow the United States to use their territory or air space for any future military operations against the war-torn nation.
- Taliban Warns Afghanistan's Neighbors Against Allowing U.S. Bases RFE/RL Gandhara 26 May 2021 -- The Afghan Taliban has warned neighboring countries against allowing the United States to operate military bases on their soil, following media reports alleging that Pakistan had struck a deal with Washington.
- Taliban warn Pakistan over increased military cooperation with US Press TV 26 May 2021 -- The Taliban militant group has issued a warning to Pakistan after reports of increased military cooperation between American and Pakistani forces.
- Pakistan, Uzbekistan Trade Goods Via Afghanistan In Landmark First RFE/RL Gandhara 26 May 2021 -- Pakistan and Uzbekistan have exchanged goods through war-torn Afghanistan for the first time, in a move hailed as a milestone for regional economic integration.
- How Pakistan's Economy Is Failing Its People RFE/RL Gandhara 25 May 2021 -- In 2017, China poured billions of dollars into energy and infrastructure investments into Pakistan and the World Bank praised Islamabad for accelerating gross domestic product growth, which exceeded 5 percent that fiscal year -- the highest in nearly a decade.
- US military bases do not exist in Pakistan: Islamabad Press TV 25 May 2021 -- Islamabad has downplayed the increased military cooperation between American and Pakistani forces following the US military exit from Afghanistan.
- Pakistan Rules Out Military Bases for US Anti-Terror Afghan Operations VOA 25 May 2021 -- Pakistan dismissed Tuesday the possibility of allowing the United States to operate a military base on Pakistani territory or conduct "kinetic drone" operations against Afghanistan.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's Call With Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff, General Qamar Javed Bajwa DoD 24 May 2021
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Meeting with National Security Advisor Moeed Yusuf of Pakistan The White House 24 May 2021
- Pakistani Soldier Killed In Cross-Border Attack By Afghan Militants RFE/RL Gandhara 23 May 2021 -- A Pakistani soldier has been killed in a cross-border attack by Afghan militants in northwestern Pakistan, the Pakistani military said on May 23.
- Six Killed In Pakistan Roadside Bomb Blast Targeting Islamist Leader At Anti-Israel Rally RFE/RL Gandhara 21 May 2021 -- At least six people were killed and several others were wounded on May 21 when a powerful roadside bomb exploded near a vehicle carrying a local leader of an Islamist political party in Pakistan.
- Pakistani Opposition Leader Sees Government Crumbling Amid Ruling Party Rift RFE/RL Gandhara 20 May 2021 -- The leader of a major opposition alliance in Pakistan says the administration of Prime Minister Imran Khan has lost the right to rule after a split in his ruling Pakistan Tehrik-e Insaf (PTI) political party.
- The Rise Of The New Pakistani Taliban RFE/RL Gandhara 18 May 2021 -- Riven internally, debilitated by the death of successive leaders, and forced from its strongholds, the armed group Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) was seen as a largely spent force.
- Divided By Pakistan's Border Fence, Pashtuns Lose Business, Rights, And Tribal Ties RFE/RL Gandhara 17 May 2021 -- Until a few year ago, Malak Ziarat Gul Atmarkhel made a decent living from his businesses that crossed the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Pakistani Foreign Minister Qureshi US Dept. of State 16 May 2021
- Pakistan Reports 1,531 New Covid-19 Infections SPA 15 May 2021 -- Pakistan detected as many as 1,531 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) and 83 deaths.
- Pakistan Reports Over 3,265 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 13 May 2021 -- Pakistan reported 126 new death cases, 3,265 new Coronavirus infections, in the last 24-hour.
- Pakistan: No More Military Bases for US Afghan Mission VOA 11 May 2021 -- Pakistan ruled out Tuesday the possibility of again providing its military bases to the United States for future counterterrorism operations in Afghanistan after U.S. troops leave the conflict-torn neighbor by September 11.
- Pakistan Begins Partial Lockdown Ahead Of Eid Al-Fitr RFE/RL 08 May 2021 -- Pakistan has declared an eight-day partial lockdown starting May 8 in a bid to prevent a surge in COVID-19 cases during the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr next week.
- Pakistani Opposition Leader Barred From Leaving Country For Medical Treatment RFE/RL 08 May 2021 -- Pakistan's Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has barred opposition leader Shehbaz Sharif from leaving the country for medical treatment abroad.
- Pakistan, Saudi Arabia Take Steps To Improve Strained Ties RFE/RL 08 May 2021 -- Saudi Arabia and Pakistan have signed agreements to improve ties after months of strained relations over the disputed region of Kashmir.
- Pakistan PM Khan Begins 'Important' Saudi Visit VOA 08 May 2021 -- Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan began on Friday a three-day visit to Saudi Arabia to boost historically close relations between the two longtime allied nations.
- 1st batch of CanSino COVID-19 vaccines in bulk arrives in Pakistan People's Daily 07 May 2021 -- The first batch of China's CanSino COVID-19 vaccines that the Pakistani government purchased in bulk has arrived in Pakistan, the CanSino Biologics Inc. said on Thursday.
- Pakistan's Khan Arrives In Saudi Arabia For Talks On Better Ties RFE/RL Gandhara 07 May 2021 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan arrived in Saudi Arabia late on May 7, kicking off a two-day visit to a traditional ally but with whom relations have been strained recently.
- Rights Abuses Imperil Pakistan's Exports To EU RFE/RL Gandhara 07 May 2021 -- When a Pakistani court sentenced a Christian couple in Punjab Province to death in 2014 over a blasphemous text message that they denied sending, the case caused an international outcry.
- A Decade After Bin Laden's Killing, Terrorism Still Haunts Pakistan RFE/RL Gandhara 06 May 2021 -- It was only two decades ago that Pakistan's rulers took pride in making their country a frontline ally in the U.S.-led war on terrorism following the attacks of September 11.
- Pakistan Reports 4,198 New Cases of COVID-19, 108 Deaths SPA 06 May 2021 -- Pakistan repoerted 108 new deaths and 4,198 new cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) during last 24 hours.
- Pakistan Military Says Four Soldiers Killed Near Afghan Border RFE/RL Gandhara 05 May 2021 -- Militants in Afghanistan opened fire across the border at soldiers in southwestern Pakistan on May 5, killing at least four soldiers and wounding six before fleeing, the Pakistani military said.
- Pakistan Says Cross-Afghan Border Militant Raid Kills 4 Soldiers VOA 05 May 2021 -- Pakistan says a militant attack Wednesday from across the Afghanistan border killed at least four paramilitary soldiers and injured six others.
- Pakistan to suspend entry of pedestrians from Afghanistan, Iran through land border crossings amid COVID-19 People's Daily 03 May 2021 -- Pakistan will suspend the entry of pedestrians from Afghanistan and Iran through land border terminals for over two weeks from May 5 in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19, according to an official notification released on Sunday.
- COVID-19: Pakistan tightens border restrictions with Iran, bilateral trade to continue IRNA 02 May 2021 -- The government of Pakistan has imposed 15-day travel restrictions to control the spread of coronavirus and its mutated variants on its border with the Islamic Republic of Iran, however trade between the two countries would continue without any interruption.
- Pakistan Tightens Border to Stem Influx of New Coronavirus Variants VOA 02 May 2021 -- Pakistan decided Sunday to temporarily suspend incoming pedestrian movement at overland border crossings with Afghanistan and Iran to "restrain import of any new mutation" of the coronavirus.
- Pakistan Reports 4,414 New COVID-19 Cases, 113 Deaths SPA 02 May 2021 -- Pakistan reported 4,414 new Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases and 113 deaths during the past 24 hours.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list