Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2020 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Pakistan Stops Flights To, From China Amid Coronavirus Concerns VOA 31 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan Friday temporarily halted all flights to and from China, effective immediately, a day after it decided to delay the opening of a key border crossing with the neighboring country following the coronavirus outbreak there.
- Pakistan Halts All Flights To And From China Amid Coronavirus Fears RFE/RL 31 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan says it is halting all flights to and from China after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the ongoing coronavirus outbreak a global emergency.
- Pakistan Suspends Flights to China a Day After WHO Declares Global Health Emergency Over Coronavirus Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- Airlines around the world have been suspending all flights to China following the outbreak of the virus which has already claimed the lives of over 200 people.
- Soldiers, Militants Killed In Shoot-Out In Northwestern Pakistan RFE/RL 30 Jan 2020 -- Two Pakistani soldiers and five militants have been killed in a shoot-out in the northwestern region of North Waziristan, the military says.
- Pakistan Rebukes India's Modi Over 'War-Mongering' Remarks VOA 29 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan has harshly criticized rival India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi, a day after he boasted his military could inflict a defeat on the neighboring country within 10 days.
- Pakistan closes border gate with Afghanistan over security concerns IRNA 29 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan has closed its border gate with Afghanistan at Torkham after mortar shells were fired into Pakistan from the other side, IRNA reported on Wednesday.
- Pakistan closes key crossing with Afghanistan after cross-border attack Press TV 29 Jan 2020 -- Pakistani authorities close a key border crossing with Afghanistan for several hours after mortar bombs land in Pakistani territory from across the border, local officials say.
- Pakistan Temporarily Closes Afghan Border Crossing After Mortar Attack RFE/RL 29 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan closed a key border crossing with Afghanistan for about 10 hours after mortar shells landed on Pakistani territory from across the border.
- Pakistan Closes Major Border Crossing after Mortar Fired from Afghanistan Sputnik 29 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan and Afghanistan have been engaged in a war of words over the arrest of Pashtun leaders earlier this week. Islamabad accused the Pashtuns of acting against Pakistan on behalf of Afghanistan.
- Detention Of Ethnic Pashtun Activist Triggers Protests In Pakistan, Afghanistan RFE/RL 28 Jan 2020 -- Thousands of protesters have gathered in Pakistani and Afghan cities and towns to voice anger over the detention of an ethnic Pashtun rights activist in Pakistan.
- Pakistan Arrests Leader of Social Movement Critical of Army VOA 17 Jan 2020 -- Authorities in Pakistan have arrested the leader of a social movement, which is campaigning against human rights abuses allegedly carried out by military forces during counterterrorism operations in areas near the border with Afghanistan.
- Pakistan's Beleaguered Ahmadis Decry 'Deplorable' Attempt To Isolate Them RFE/RL 24 Jan 2020 -- To be considered Muslim, members of Pakistan's minority Ahmadi sect must deny the beliefs of their religion.
- Pakistan test-fires short range ballistic missile IRNA 23 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan on Thursday conducted a successful training launch of surface-to-surface ballistic missile, according to Pakistan's military statement.
- Pakistan Begins Screening Travelers From China for Coronavirus VOA 23 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan announced Thursday airport authorities have begun screening travelers from neighboring China for signs of the coronavirus.
- Khan urges UN action over Kashmir dispute with India Press TV 22 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan has urged the United Nations to help in the dispute with India, a fellow nuclear power, over the region of Kashmir.
- China Slams US for 'Spreading Rumors' About BRI Investments in Pakistan VOA 22 Jan 2020 -- China has defended its infrastructure development investments in Pakistan as "open and transparent," refuting renewed U.S. criticism of the ongoing multibillion-dollar economic collaboration under Beijing's global Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- Pakistan To Import 300,000 Tons Of Wheat To Meet Flour Crisis RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan on January 20 approved the import of 300,000 tons of wheat to alleviate the effects of a shortage of flour supplies that has triggered a crisis for Prime Minister Imran Khan's government.
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Khan of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan Before Bilateral Meeting | Davos, Switzerland The White House 21 Jan 2020
- Senior US Diplomat in Pakistan Amid Warmth in Mutual Ties VOA 19 Jan 2020 -- A senior American diplomat began a four-day official visit to Pakistan Sunday amid warming bilateral relations that have followed meetings last year between President Donald Trump and Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan.
- Pakistan FM Qureshi Urges U.S. To 'Remain Engaged' In Rebuilding Afghanistan RFE/RL 17 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan's foreign minister said during his visit to Washington that the United States should remain engaged in Afghanistan even if it eventually pulls its troops out of the war-torn country.
- Five Men Indicted for Operating an International Procurement Network to Export U.S.-Origin Goods to Pakistan's Nuclear Program US Dept. of Justice 15 Jan 2020 -- Five men, all associated with the front company "Business World" in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, and including Muhammad Kamran Wali (Kamran), 41, of Pakistan; Muhammad Ahsan Wali (Ahsan), 48, and Haji Wali Muhammad Sheikh (Haji), 82, both of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada; Ashraf Khan Muhammad (Khan) of Hong Kong; and Ahmed Waheed (Waheed), 52, of Ilford, Essex, United Kingdom, were indicted in federal court for conspiracy to violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and the Export Control Reform Act.
- U.S. Indicts Five Suspects For Smuggling U.S.Goods To Pakistan's Nuclear Program RFE/RL 15 Jan 2020 -- A federal court has indicted five men suspected of operating an international network of front companies to purchase goods in the United States for Pakistan's nuclear and other weapons programs in violation of two legislative acts designed to protect U.S. national security, the U.S. Justice Department said in a news release.
- US Charges 5 Over Illegal Exports for Pakistan's Nuclear Program VOA 15 Jan 2020 -- Five Pakistani businessmen have been indicted in the United States, accused of operating an international network of front companies to export U.S.-origin products to Pakistan for use in that country's nuclear program, the Justice Department announced Wednesday.
- China-Pakistan Sea Guardians 2020 exercise concludes second-phase drills PLA Daily 14 Jan 2020 -- As the last cleat hitch of China's guided-missile frigate Yuncheng (Hull 571) was tied to the dock at 3 p.m. on January 13, all naval ships of the Chinese fleet participating in the PN-PLAN Bilateral Exercise, code-named Sea Guardians-2020, have returned to Karachi Port, Pakistan, marking the successful completion of the maritime phase of the bilateral exercise.
- Sea Guardians 2020 China-Pakistan joint naval exercise wraps up in Karachi PLA Daily 14 Jan 2020 -- The nine-day Sea Guardians 2020 China-Pakistan joint naval exercise wrapped up at the Pakistan Navy's Dockyard in Karachi on January 14. The participating troops from the two navies worked in a coordinated and integrated way to complete all subjects and achieved the expected goals.
- Pakistani Judges Rule Court In Musharraf Case Was 'Unconstitutional' RFE/RL 13 Jan 2020 -- A Pakistani tribunal has ruled that the formation of a special court that has handed former military ruler Pervez Musharraf a death sentence was "unconstitutional."
- Pakistan Court Cancels Death Penalty for Musharraf VOA 13 Jan 2020 -- A Pakistani court Monday quashed the death sentence handed down to former military ruler Pervez Musharraf, declaring as unlawful the legal process that led to his conviction.
- China-Pakistan joint naval exercise concludes first phase activities PLA Daily 10 Jan 2020 -- The port-training phase of the PN-PLAN Sea Guardians-2020 Bilateral Exercise wrapped up on Thursday. The Chinese-Pakistani composite fleet set sail from the Karachi Port to the scheduled exercise area in northern Arabian Sea for the second phase of live fire fleet drill on Friday morning.
- Pakistan Air Force FT-7 jet crashes on training mission IRNA 07 Jan 2020 -- A Pakistan Air Force (PAF) FT-7 jet crashed on a training mission on Tuesday near city of Mianwali, an air base of the country, PAF said in a statement on Tuesday.
- Pakistan Jet Crashes, Two Trainee Pilots Killed RFE/RL 07 Jan 2020 -- A Pakistani jet crashed during training on
- Pakistani Lawmakers Approve Extending Term Of Powerful Army Chief RFE/RL 07 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan's lower house of parliament has approved legislation that would extend Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa's term by another three years.
- Pakistani Lawmakers Pass Bill to Extend Service of Army Chief Gen. Qamar Javed Bajwa Sputnik 07 Jan 2020 -- The Imran Khan government on 3 January proposed a bill to extend the current army chief's service by three years.
- Pakistan's Lower House of Parliament Backs Extension for Army Chief VOA 07 Jan 2020 -- Lawmakers in Pakistan's lower house of Parliament voted Tuesday in support of extending the tenure of the country's army chief, General Qamar Javed Bajwa, by another three years.
- January 7 in the eastern Punjab Province, killing the two pilots, the military said.
- China, Pakistan joint naval exercise first in a series Global Times 07 Jan 2020 -- The ongoing China-Pakistan joint naval exercise "Sea Guardians-2020" in the North Arabian Sea is expected to be the first of many to come, as the two countries have now developed a series of joint exercises covering the navy, army and air force.
- Pakistan, China hold 6th joint Navy exercises IRNA 06 Jan 2020 -- The sixth joint exercises of Pakistan and Chinese naval forces began on Monday.
- Sea-Guardians-2020: China, Pakistan Kick Off Major Naval Exercise on West Coast of India Sputnik 06 Jan 2020 -- Lawmakers who support Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido gathered at the editorial office of a local newspaper and voted to "re-elect" him as speaker of the National Assembly, the Venezuelan parliament, following the election of pro-Maduro lawmaker Luis Parra to the position.
- China, Pakistan hold joint naval exercises in North Arabian Sea Global Times 06 Jan 2020 -- China and Pakistan kicked off a nine-day joint naval exercise in the North Arabian Sea on Monday, a move that will boost cooperation, build a safe maritime environment and enhance the two navies' capability to deal with maritime terrorism and crime together.
- China, Pakistan kick off "Sea Guardians-2020" naval drill in Karachi PLA Daily 06 Jan 2020 -- The PN-PLAN Bilateral Exercise, code-named Sea Guardians-2020, kicked off at the Pakistan Navy Dock Yard in Karachi, Pakistan on the morning of January 6, local time.
- Pakistan Stress Neutrality, Big Rally Protests Killing of Soleimani VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- Thousands of people rallied Sunday in Pakistan's largest city of Karachi and clashed with police while trying to force their way toward the tightly guarded American consulate to denounce the killing of Iranian commander Qasim Soleimani.
- Pakistan army chief calls for maximum restraint following General Soleimani's assassination IRNA 04 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan Chief of Army Staff (COAS) stressed the need for maximum restraint and constructive engagement following the assassination of IRGC Quds force commander Lieutenant General Qasem Soleimani by the US, a military statement said.
- US Annonces Resumption of Military Training to Pakistan After Trump Rules Out Providing Security Aid Sputnik 04 Jan 2020 -- The United States suspended military training to Pakistan in 2018, in a bid to force Islamabad to help Washington take decisive action against militants in Afghanistan. The International Military Education and Training Programme (IMET) is worth around $2.4 million.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo's Call with Pakistani Chief of Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa US Dept. of State 03 Jan 2020
- Pakistan dismisses new Indian Army Chief's statement IRNA 02 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan on Thursday rejected the new Indian Army Chief, Lt Gen Manoj Mukund Naravane's statement about pre-emptive strikes inside Pakistan administered Kashmir region.
- India, Pakistan Exchange Lists of Nuclear Facilities Amid War Threat Sputnik 01 Jan 2020 -- Despite downgrading diplomatic relations in the aftermath of a "unilateral decision" by the Indian Parliament to revoke the disputed Kashmir region's special status last August, arch-rivals India and Pakistan have continued to fulfill their formal obligations under bilateral agreements.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list