Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2018 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- India's Modi, Pakistan's Khan Discuss Hopes For Peace In Region RFE/RL 31 Jul 2018 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called Pakistan's Imran Khan to congratulate him on his party's victory in Pakistan's general election, and both men expressed hopes for regional peace.
- Treasury Issues Sanctions Against Lashkar-E Tayyiba Financial Facilitators US Treasury 31 Jul 2018 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) took action today to disrupt Lashkar-e Tayyiba's (LeT) fundraising and support networks by designating two of the group's financial facilitators, Hameed ul Hassan (Hassan) and Abdul Jabbar (Jabbar), as Specially Designated Global Terrorists (SDGTs) pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224. OFAC is designating Hassan and Jabbar for acting for or on behalf of Lashkar-e Tayyiba, a terrorist organization based in Pakistan.
- US Adds 3 Pakistanis With LeT Ties to Terror Watch List VOA 31 Jul 2018 -- The U.S. on Tuesday blacklisted three Pakistani nationals for their suspected financial, technical and logistical links to Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), a U.S.- and U.N.-designated terror organization operating in Pakistan.
- U.S. Warns Against IMF Bailing Out Pakistan's Loans From China RFE/RL 31 Jul 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has warned against providing an International Monetary Fund bailout for Pakistan's new government that includes funding to pay off Chinese lenders.
- Pakistan's Khan Tells Indian PM Wars Can Breed Tragedies VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to Pakistan's prime minister-in-waiting, Imran Khan, Monday evening, congratulating him for his election victory and calling for both countries to "adopt a joint strategy" for improving bilateral ties.
- Pakistani Opposition Party Calls For Probe Amid Claims Of Vote Rigging RFE/RL 29 Jul 2018 -- The party of jailed former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, runner-up in the July 25 Pakistani general election, has called for an official investigation into the vote, claiming it was rigged.
- Khan's Party Claims To Have Enough Support To Form Pakistan Coalition Government RFE/RL 29 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan opposition leader Imran Khan's party claims it has enough support from lawmakers to form a coalition government after taking the highest number of seats in the July 25 election but falling short of a majority.
- Pakistan Election Results Show Khan's Party Wins, But Needs Coalition RFE/RL 27 Jul 2018 -- Official results from Pakistan's legislative elections show opposition leader Imran Khan's Tehrik-e Insaf (PTI) party winning the vote and taking at least 115 of the 272 directly elected seats in the National Assembly.
- Pakistan Election US Dept. of State 27 Jul 2018 -- The United States takes note of yesterday's election results in Pakistan. The United States commends the courage of the Pakistani people, including many women, who turned out to vote and showed resolve to determine their country's future.
- UN 'committed to continue to support' Pakistan's Electoral Commission in wake of general election UN News 27 Jul 2018 -- The United Nations Secretary-General has congratulated the people of Pakistan for "exercising their constitutional right to vote" on Wednesday, thereby reaffirming "their commitment to a democratic Pakistan."
- Imran Khan claims victory in Pakistan's elections amid allegations of vote rigging Press TV 26 Jul 2018 -- Former star cricketer Imran Khan has declared victory in Pakistan's general elections against the party of jailed ex-prime minister Nawaz Sharif amid accusations of vote rigging.
- Pakistan's Imran Khan Declares Victory In Elections As Rivals Allege Rigging RFE/RL 26 Jul 2018 -- Pakistani politician and former cricket star Imran Khan has declared victory for his Pakistan Tehrik-e Insaf (PTI) party in the country's July 25 national elections that were marred by long delays in vote-tallying and allegations of rigging by rivals.
- Former Cricketer Imran Khan Wins Elections in Pakistan Sputnik 26 Jul 2018 -- The vote for Pakistan's lower house of parliament, the National Assembly, marks only the second time in the country's history since 1947 that a civilian government has handed power over to another government.
- Khan Targets Poverty, Corruption in Pakistan Election Victory Speech VOA 26 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan's former sports-celebrity-turned politician, Imran Khan, in his televised election victory speech Thursday pledged to tackle poverty and endemic corruption through a revamped governance system in the country.
- Pakistan general elections:Polling ends, counting begins IRNA 25 Jul 2018 -- Polling to elect members of National Assembly the upper house of Pakistan's parliament and four Provincial Assemblies has come to an end and the process to count votes begins.
- Election underway in Pakistan under strict security measures IRNA 25 Jul 2018 -- Polling to elect members of National Assembly and four Provincial Assemblies is underway across Pakistan under strict security measures.
- Pakistan election day marred by bloodshed, rigging fears Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- A bloody bombing attack has cast dark shadows over Pakistan's long-awaited election day, despite the deployment of hundreds of thousands of troops to secure a consequential vote that would lead to a rare democratic transition of power in the country's 71-year history.
- Pakistan Party Chief Rejects Election Results Before They Are Known RFE/RL 25 Jul 2018 -- The head of Pakistan's ruling party has rejected the results of the June 25 parliamentary polls before they have been announced, saying the election was rigged.
- Pakistan: UN chief condemns suicide attack that killed dozens near polling station UN News 25 Jul 2018 -- The United Nations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, on Wednesday condemned the killing of dozens of people near a polling station in the western city of Quetta due to a suicide attack, as voters headed to the polls in Pakistan's general elections.
- Violence-Hit Pakistan Polls Close, Vote Count Underway VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- The polls have closed and vote counting is underway in Pakistan where nearly 106 million people cast their ballots in Wednesday's violence-marred general elections.
- Hundreds of Candidates with Terror Ties Running in Pakistan Elections VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- Voters across Pakistan will go to the polls Wednesday to elect a new civilian government. The country's election commission disqualified many candidates on various grounds, including allegations of corruption.
- Pakistan's army deploys thousands of troops ahead of elections Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan's military has deployed hundreds of thousands of troops to oversee polling stations across the country ahead of the July 25 elections.
- 'Terrorist' Turned Candidate: Pakistani Extremists Contest National Elections RFE/RL 24 Jul 2018 -- Chaudhry Saeed Gujjar is a member of the Milli Muslim League, a radical Islamist party blacklisted by the United States as a terrorist group.
- Pakistan Votes Wednesday Amid Crowded Field VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan has 200 million people, 100 million of whom are registered to vote for the next government on Wednesday. The election is being held after a contentious campaign rife with allegations of pre-poll rigging and covert interference by the country's powerful military establishment and the judiciary.
- Pakistan: Ghani's Overtures to Taliban Give Hope for Afghan Peace VOA 22 Jul 2018 -- Afghanistan hosted a new round of ongoing wide-ranging discussions with Pakistan Sunday in an effort to build mutual confidence and work together to bring an end to the Afghan conflict.
- Pakistan army calls for probe into claims against spy agency Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan's army has called for the Supreme Court to launch an investigation into claims made by a high court judge pertaining to the country's spy agency interfering in judiciary affairs.
- Pakistani Candidate Killed In Latest Attack Ahead Of July 25 Elections RFE/RL 22 Jul 2018 -- A Pakistani candidate and his driver were killed in a suicide attack in the country's northwest, in the latest violence related to the July 25 national elections.
- Pakistan: Engagements With US Over Afghanistan to 'Yield More Positive Results' VOA 20 Jul 2018 -- Following years of an acrimonious blame game, the Pakistan and U.S. militaries appear to be engaged again in tactical counterterrorism cooperation for promoting a negotiated settlement to the war in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan's Khan Tells VOA His Party Well Placed to Win Polls VOA 18 Jul 2018 -- Imran Khan, a leading candidate to become Pakistan's next prime minister, says he is hopeful about his party's chances of winning the July 25 national election.
- Iran to take part in joint defense cooperation with Pakistan IRNA 17 Jul 2018 -- Chief of Staff of Iran's Armed Force vows for joint defence production with Pakistan.
- Iran, Pakistan to jointly produce defense equipment: Top general Press TV 17 Jul 2018 -- Iran’s top military commander has emphasized the importance of enhancing defense relations with Pakistan, saying the two neighbors are seeking to jointly manufacture defense equipment.
- Pakistani police open criminal cases against 17,000 members of ex-premier's party Press TV 16 Jul 2018 -- Pakistani police have opened criminal cases against nearly 17,000 members of the former ruling party of ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), over breaking election rules ahead of the July 25 polls.
- Pakistan's Jailed Ex-PM Appeals 10-Year Sentence RFE/RL 16 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan's jailed former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has appealed his 10-year prison sentence, just days after returning to the country ahead of national elections on July 25.
- Pakistan Holds Day Of Mourning After Bloody Week Of Election-Related Violence RFE/RL 15 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan observed a day of mourning for the dozens of people killed and injured during a series of terror attacks targeting political rallies as the country gears up for the July 25 national elections.
- Pakistan: UN strongly condemns terrorist attack that leaves scores dead and wounded at election rally UN News 14 Jul 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council has strongly condemned the terrorist attack in south-west Pakistan that killed more than 120 people and left scores wounded at an election rally Friday.
- Turkey to sell 30 ATAK helicopters to Pakistan in major military export deal Press TV 13 Jul 2018 -- Turkey and Pakistan have finalized a deal for the sale of 30 multi-role and all-weather TAI/AgustaWestland T129 ATAK attack helicopters in an agreement that has been billed as one of Ankara's largest single defense industry exports.
- Turkey Agrees To Sell 30 Military Helicopters To Pakistan RFE/RL 13 Jul 2018 -- Turkey has agreed to sell Pakistan 30 Turkish-made attack helicopters in a deal that has been billed as Ankara's largest single defense sale.
- At Least 133 Killed, Including Candidate, In Separate Election-Related Bombings In Pakistan RFE/RL 13 Jul 2018 -- At least 133 people have been killed, including a parliamentary candidate, and more than 230 wounded in two separate election-related bombings in Pakistan on July 13, authorities say, amid growing tensions over the return and arrest of ousted Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif who is facing corruption charges.
- 128 Killed in IS Suicide Bombing of Pakistan Election Rally VOA 13 Jul 2018 -- A massive suicide bombing of an election rally in southwestern Pakistan has killed at least 128 people, including a candidate for a provincial assembly seat, and injured more than 120 others in the lead-up to July 25 national elections.
- Ex-PM Sharif and Daughter Arrested Upon Return to Pakistan VOA 13 Jul 2018 -- Authorities in Pakistan swiftly arrested former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and his daughter and political heir, Maryam, shortly after the two landed in the eastern city of Lahore on a commercial flight from Britain on Friday.
- Pakistani police arrest ex-PM Sharif's supporters ahead of his return from UK Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- Pakistani police have detained hundreds of supporters of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif in eastern Punjab province ahead of the ousted leader's return from London.
- Pakistani Ex-PM's Party Alleges 'Huge Crackdown,' Arrest Of Supporters RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- The party of former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has alleged that the authorities are detaining hundreds of supporters ahead of the ousted leader's return to Pakistan this week.
- Pakistani Killing Sparks Debate on Candidate Safety VOA 12 Jul 2018 -- The killing of Haroon Bilour, a prominent politician from Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, has sparked a debate about the state's security measures and its ability to ensure the safety of politicians ahead of Pakistan general elections scheduled for this month.
- Sharif Set to Return to Pakistan Amid Crackdown on Supporters VOA 12 Jul 2018 -- Police in Pakistan allegedly have rounded up hundreds of supporters of former prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, a day before he is due to return to the country with his daughter, political heir Maryam Nawaz, where both face arrest.
- Pakistan suicide blast death toll surges to 20 IRNA 11 Jul 2018 -- The death toll in a suicide attack in Pakistan's north western city of Peshawar, which claimed the life of a political party leader has increased to 20, local media reported.
- Pakistan against US-Saudi efforts to destabilize Iran: Report Press TV 11 Jul 2018 -- The Pakistani government has reportedly opposed efforts by the administration of US President Donald Trump and the Saudi regime to destabilize Iran, a media report says.
- Pakistan Hosts Unusual Meeting of Regional Spymasters VOA 11 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan hosted an unprecedented meeting Wednesday of heads of intelligence agencies from Russia, China and Iran to discuss counterterrorism cooperation, with particular focus on the buildup of Islamic State in turmoil-hit Afghanistan.
- 'Russia, Iran, China, Pakistan intelligence chiefs discuss Daesh threat in Afghanistan' Press TV 11 Jul 2018 -- Moscow says the heads of intelligence services of Russia, Iran, China and Pakistan have sat down in Islamabad for talks on the rising threat of Daesh in Afghanistan after the Takfiri terrorist group lost its strongholds in Iraq and Syria.
- Pakistan launches two sensing satellites IRNA 09 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan has launched two remote sensing satellites using a Chinese launch vehicle, Radio Pakistan reported.
- China Launches 2 Satellites for Pakistan VOA 09 Jul 2018 -- China has launched two satellites for Pakistan to survey resources and monitor natural disasters for agriculture research, as well as the progress of infrastructure-related projects being built with billions of dollars of unprecedented Chinese investment.
- Pakistani authorities detain son-in-law of ousted prime minister Press TV 08 Jul 2018 -- Pakistani authorities have detained the convicted son-in-law of embattled former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif two days after a court in Islamabad sentenced him to jail over a corruption ruling linked to his family's purchase of luxury flats in London.
- Pakistani Ex-PM Sharif To Return For Jail Term As Son-In-Law Surrenders RFE/RL 08 Jul 2018 -- Former Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will return to his country on July 13 to face jail, his daughter has said.
- Pakistan court gives 10-year jail term to ousted Prime Minister Sharif Press TV 06 Jul 2018 -- A Pakistani anti-corruption court has handed down a 10-year jail term to former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in a corruption case linked to his family's purchase of upscale flats in London.
- Former Pakistan PM Sentenced To 10 Years In Corruption Case RFE/RL 06 Jul 2018 -- A Pakistani anticorruption court has sentenced former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to 10 years in prison over the purchase of upscale London apartments, prosecution lawyer Sardar Muzaffar Abbas said.
- Pakistan Court Sentences Sharif to 10 Years in Prison VOA 06 Jul 2018 -- An anti-corruption court in Pakistan sentenced former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to 10 years in prison on Friday and fined him more than $10.5 million for failing to explain how he and his children acquired expensive overseas property.
- Pakistan Played Role in Afghanistan's Eid Cease-Fire VOA 05 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan played a key role in the June cease-fire Afghanistan made with the Taliban, designed to allow the country to celebrate the holy festival of Eid peacefully.
- US Official: Pakistan Action Needed Against Afghan Taliban VOA 05 Jul 2018 -- A senior American diplomat has again criticized Pakistan for its inability to translate promises into action against various terror and extremist groups operating from Pakistani soil.
- Pakistan Rejects US Call to Single-Handedly Push Afghan Taliban Into Peace Talks VOA 05 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan has urged the Taliban to accept the Afghan government's unconditional offer of peace talks and rejected once again U.S. demands to single-handedly bring the insurgents' leaders to the negotiating table.
- Turkey to sell four corvette ships to Pakistan Navy: Defense minister Press TV 05 Jul 2018 -- Turkish Defense Minister Nurettin Canikli says Ankara has won a tender to build four corvettes for the Pakistan Navy, describing the deal as "the largest defense export of Turkey in one agreement."
- Drone Strikes Kill Two Key Pakistani Militant Commanders RFE/RL 04 Jul 2018 -- Two Pakistani militant commanders have been killed in separate drone strikes, Pakistani and Afghan officials say.
- US Drone Kills Afghan-Based Pakistani Taliban Commander VOA 04 Jul 2018 -- Officials in Afghanistan confirmed Wednesday an American drone strike has killed a key militant commander wanted in neighboring Pakistan for terrorism.
- Banned Pakistan Party Plans to Contest Elections VOA 04 Jul 2018 -- As Pakistan prepares for general elections in a few weeks, the Milli Muslim League (MML), a banned militant group-turned-political party, says it will field hundreds of candidates across the country under the umbrella of Allah-O-Akbar Tehreek (AAT), an old Islamist political party.
- US Diplomat in Pakistan for Talks on Afghan Peace VOA 02 Jul 2018 -- A U.S. diplomat has begun crucial meetings with officials in Pakistan to seek their cooperation in pushing Taliban insurgents to engage in peace and reconciliation talks with the Afghan government.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list