Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2018 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Khan Draws Big Crowd As Pakistani Parties Launch Campaign Drives RFE/RL 30 Apr 2018 -- Tens of thousands of supporters in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore greeted popular opposition lawmaker Imran Khan as the country's political parties launched their campaigns for the upcoming national elections.
- Chinese Projects, Reforms Boost Pakistan's Growth To Fastest In 13 Years RFE/RL 27 Apr 2018 -- Pakistan's economy is growing by 5.8 percent this fiscal year, the fastest pace since 2005, aided by structural reforms and China's new Silk Road project, the government estimates.
- Pakistani court bans foreign minister from holding office Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- A Pakistani court on Thursday disqualified Foreign Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif from holding office, dealing a blow to the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz party (PML-N).
- Pakistan, Russia Hold High-Level Security Talks VOA 23 Apr 2018 -- Russia and Pakistan have held their first national security advisers-level bilateral talks in Moscow, focusing on prospects for closer cooperation in defense, space, cyber security, nuclear, intelligence-sharing as well as trade.
- China: No Military Aim of Corridor Project With Pakistan VOA 21 Apr 2018 -- China has strongly refuted suggestions its multibillion-dollar economic corridor now under construction with Pakistan has "hidden" military designs as well.
- Pakistan: Fencing of Border With Afghanistan on 'Fast Track' VOA 19 Apr 2018 -- Pakistan's unilateral fencing and construction of new observation posts on the long border with Afghanistan are "progressing smoothly" despite recent deadly clashes between the two countries and traditional terrain-related challenges.
- Pakistan's Leading Watchdog Slams Country Over Poor Rights Record RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- In a new report, Pakistan's leading watchdog has said the country has failed to make progress on several issues over the past year, citing forced disappearances, women's rights violations, and protection of religious minorities.
- Pakistan Launches Domestically Made Land-Attack Cruise Missile Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- The ground-launched version of Pakistan's family of Babur cruise missiles has carried out a successful test, according to a recent announcement by Pakistan's Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).
- Several Killed As Security Forces Clash Along Afghan-Pakistan Border RFE/RL 15 Apr 2018 -- Troops from the Afghan border police and Pakistan's paramilitary Frontier Corps clashed near the two countries' disputed border, leaving several dead and wounded on both sides, Afghan and Pakistani officials said.
- Several people killed, wounded in cross-border gunfight in Afghanistan, Pakistan Press TV 15 Apr 2018 -- Several people have lost their lives after a cross-border gunfight broke out between Afghan and Pakistani security forces, amid simmering tensions between the militancy-plagued neighbors, officials from both countries say.
- Pakistan Test-Fires Enhanced Ballistic Cruise Missile RFE/RL 15 Apr 2018 -- Pakistan's military says it has conducted a successful test of an enhanced version of the locally developed Babur ballistic cruise missile.
- Clashes Erupt Between Afghan and Pakistani Border Forces VOA 15 Apr 2018 -- Afghanistan reported deadly border skirmishes with Pakistan Sunday but it was not known immediately who initiated the fire.
- Pakistan Islamist Party Threatens More Protests VOA 14 Apr 2018 -- Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP), an Islamist political party, has called off its protest in Pakistan following an agreement with the government.
- Pakistan bars ex-PM Sharif from office for life Press TV 13 Apr 2018 -- In a unanimous decision, Pakistan's Supreme Court has declared the country's deposed prime minister Nawaz Sharif disqualified to hold public office for life.
- Two Soldiers Killed In Unprovoked Firing by Pakistan Troops: Indian Army Sputnik 10 Apr 2018 -- India has accused Pakistani forces of firing mortars and automatic guns overnight to strike at Indian positions in the Sunderbani sector along the Line of Control.
- Afghan Officials: Pakistani Cross-Border Fire Kills Civilian VOA 10 Apr 2018 -- Officials in Afghanistan say cross-border shelling by Pakistan has killed at least one civilian in the eastern province of Kunar.
- 'Stop This Cruelty': Pakistan's Pashtuns Want Answers About Missing Loved Ones RFE/RL 09 Apr 2018 -- Thousands of protesters clapped frantically and others wept as Basro Bibi, draped in a brown burqa and flanked by her young children, made an emotional plea to authorities to release her missing husband.
- Some 60,000 Pakistanis Rally In Peshawar For Rights Of Ethnic Pashtuns RFE/RL 08 Apr 2018 -- Tens of thousands of ethnic Pashtuns - led by young the young activist Manzoor Pashteen - gathered in Pakistan's northwestern city of Peshawar on April 8 for a mass demonstration to demand the protection of the rights of Pashtuns.
- Afghanistan, Pakistan Jointly Call on Taliban to Enter Peace Talks VOA 07 Apr 2018 -- Afghanistan and Pakistan have jointly urged the Taliban to accept Kabul's unconditional offer of peace talks to help find a political solution to the Afghan conflict.
- Pakistani PM travels to Afghanistan amid tensions Press TV 07 Apr 2018 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi has traveled to Afghanistan on a visit to that comes shortly after Afghanistan accused Pakistan of having conducted cross-border airstrikes.
- Blackout For Pakistani TV Channel Amid Tug-Of-War With Military RFE/RL 07 Apr 2018 -- Pakistani media outlets and journalists often face consequences for refusing to toe the line of the country's all-powerful military.
- Pakistani PM Says His Afghan Visit Narrowed Mutual Trust Gap VOA 07 Apr 2018 -- Pakistan's prime minister, Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, has said his official meetings with leaders in Afghanistan in the past week have helped narrow a mutual "trust deficit" and the visit will prove to be a "milestone" in promoting regional peace.
- Pakistan in Talks With Russia on Buying Air Defense Systems – Defense Minister Sputnik 06 Apr 2018 -- Pakistani Defense Minister Khurram Dastgir Khan has discussed with Sputnik the issues of Moscow-Islamabad cooperation and the purchases of Russian hardware by Pakistan.
- Pakistani PM Visits Afghanistan In Bid To Ease Tensions RFE/RL 06 Apr 2018 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi visited the Afghan capital, Kabul, on April 6 for a day-long trip aimed at easing tensions between the neighboring countries.
- Pakistani PM Visits Kabul to Discuss Afghan Peace, Mutual Ties VOA 06 Apr 2018 -- Pakistan Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi is in Afghanistan for official talks on strained mutual ties and Kabul's initiative of seeking a negotiated end to its war with the Taliban.
- Pakistani Defense Minister Urges Washington to Reconsider Cuts to Military Aid Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- Islamabad is calling on Washington to reconsider the reduction of military aid to the country as Pakistan has recently managed to achieve success in its fight against terrorism, Pakistani Defense Minister Khurram Dastgir Khan told Sputnik in an interview on Thursday.
- Pakistan Says 'Geo-Strategic Reasons' Bring it Closer to Russia VOA 04 Apr 2018 -- Pakistan and Russia have been able to "transcend" their history of mistrust and rivalry, leading to a rapid improvement and expansion in bilateral political, military and economic ties, says Pakistani Defense Minister Khurram Dastgir.
- US Designates Pakistani Party Milli Muslim League as 'Terrorists' VOA 03 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. State Department on Monday imposed sanctions on Pakistani political party the Milli Muslim League (MML), designating it and its leadership as "terrorists."
- US designates Pakistani political group as terrorist organization Press TV 03 Apr 2018 -- The United States has placed a Pakistani political group on its list of foreign terrorist organizations, saying it was merely an alias for a militant group blamed for a deadly 2008 attack on the Indian port city of Mumbai.
- U.S. Adds Pakistan's Milli Muslim League To Terror List RFE/RL 03 Apr 2018 -- The United States has placed Pakistan's Milli Muslim League (MML) political party on its list of foreign terrorist organizations for its alleged links to a militant group blamed for the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
- Amendments to the Terrorist Designation of Lashkar e-Tayyiba US Dept. of State 02 Apr 2018 -- The Department of State has amended the designation of Pakistan-based terrorist organization Lashkar e-Tayyiba (LeT) to include the aliases Milli Muslim League (MML) and Tehreek-e- Azadi-e Kashmir (TAJK). The aliases have been added to LeT's designations as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) under Section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, and as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT) under Executive Order 13224.
- Treasury Targets Terrorist Group Lashkar-e Tayyiba's Political Party US Treasury 02 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), in concert with the Department of State, took action today targeting Lashkar-e Tayyiba (LeT) and its political party, the Milli Muslim League (MML), by designating MML and seven MML officials as Specially Designated Global Terrorists (SDGTs) pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224, which targets terrorists and those providing support to terrorists or acts of terrorism.
- 18 Killed in Violent Clashes in Indian Kashmir VOA 01 Apr 2018 -- Eighteen people have been killed in three separate incidents Sunday as Indian troops conducted counterinsurgency operations in Indian Kashmir.
- Indian soldiers 'kill 8 militants' in Kashmir Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- Eight militants have reportedly been killed in separate gun battles with Indian forces in the Himalayan region of Kashmir.
- Two Killed, 50 Injured in Clashes With Indian Forces in Kashmir - Reports Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- At least two civilians have been killed and about 50 injured in the disputed Jammu and Kashmir state as a result of protests which broke out following a massive counterterrorism operation of Indian security forces across the region, local media reported on Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list