Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2017 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Officials: Pakistani Religious Schools Increasingly Linked to Afghan Taliban VOA 25 Feb 2017 -- When Afghan intelligence officials, assisted by international investigators, probed a terror attack last month that killed five Emirati diplomats in Kandahar, they traced the suspects to a conservative religious seminary in Pakistan.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan to Hold Counterterror Talks VOA 25 Feb 2017 -- Pakistan disclosed Saturday that it is engaged in negotiations with Afghanistan on developing a joint "mechanism" to address mutual cross-border terrorism concerns, and both sides could formalize a deal next week.
- Bomb blasts hit Pakistan's Lahore, leave casualties Press TV 23 Feb 2017 -- Two bomb explosions have occurred in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore, with authorities announcing a death toll of six from one of the blasts.
- In Face Of Threats And Attacks, Pakistani Media Establish 'Safety Hubs' RFE/RL 23 Feb 2017 -- In Pakistan, a country where journalists are often the targets of threats and deadly attacks and have little protection from authorities, many reporters are left to fend for themselves.
- Pakistan Launches Anti-Terror Operation Across Country Sputnik 22 Feb 2017 -- The Pakistani authorities announced a countrywide counterterrorism operation with the participation of law enforcement agencies and the armed forces.
- Pakistan Army Launches Nationwide Anti-terror Operation VOA 22 Feb 2017 -- Pakistan has launched its first ever nationwide military operation "to eradicate the threat of terrorism," in response to a recent surge in suicide bombings and militant attacks that killed scores of people in the country.
- Five killed, 15 injured in bomb attack on court in northern Pakistan Press TV 21 Feb 2017 -- At least five people have been killed as a bomb explosion rocked a court complex in northern Pakistan, the latest in a string of attacks which have claimed more than 100 lives over the past 10 days.
- Suicide Attack on Pakistani Courthouse Kills 7 VOA 21 Feb 2017 -- A suicide gun-and-bomb attack on a courthouse in northwestern Pakistan Tuesday killed at least seven people and wounded 30 others.
- Pakistan Moves Heavy Artillery to Afghan Border in Anti-Terrorism Operation Sputnik 20 Feb 2017 -- Pakistan moved its heavy artillery to the border with Afghanistan and increased patrols in the area to beef up border security against terrorist attacks.
- Pakistan closes second major border crossing with Afghanistan Press TV 18 Feb 2017 -- Pakistan has shut down a second major border crossing into Afghanistan, two days after a huge explosion killed scores of people in the southern province of Sindh.
- Militants, Afghanistan Question Pakistan's Anti-terror Crackdown Claims VOA 18 Feb 2017 -- A splinter faction of the Pakistani Taliban is accusing security forces in Pakistan of killing its detained members in "fake encounters," and has denied as false army attacks on the group's "imaginary" camps.
- Pakistan arrests, kills dozens of suspects after deadly blast Press TV 17 Feb 2017 -- Pakistan has launched nationwide security raids following a deadly bomb attack on a Sufi shrine in the southeast of country, arresting and killing dozens of suspects.
- Pakistan Cracks Down On Militants As Shrine Death Toll Hits 83 RFE/RL 17 Feb 2017 -- Pakistani security forces say dozens of Islamic extremists have been killed in a nationwide crackdown following a recent series of deadly terror attacks that broke a period of relative calm in the country.
- Pakistan Armed Forces Killed Over 100 Militants in 24 Hours Since Shrine Attack Sputnik 17 Feb 2017 -- Pakistan's security forces have killed more than 100 militants in past 24 hours during raids across the country in the wake of a deadly bomb attack on a shrine in the southern city of Sehwan, a spokesman of the country's Armed Forces said Friday.
- Wave of Terrorist Attacks Leaves Pakistan on Edge VOA 17 Feb 2017 -- Pakistan's security forces claim to have killed more than 100 suspected militants in a massive nationwide security operation Friday in the wake of a deadly suicide bombing at a Sufi shrine that left more than 80 dead.
- Afghan refugees stay in Pakistan extended till Dec 2017 IRNA 16 Feb 2017 -- Representatives of Pakistan, Afghanistan and the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) have signed a tripartite agreement allowing Afghan refugees to stay in Pakistan till the end of Dec 2017, UNHCR statement said.
- Powerful explosion at Pakistani shrine kills at least 72, injures over 150 Press TV 16 Feb 2017 -- More than 70 people have been killed and over 150 others injured in a huge bomb explosion at a shrine in Pakistan's southern province of Sindh.
- IS Claims Deadly Suicide Shrine Bombing in Pakistan VOA 16 Feb 2017 -- An Islamic State suicide bomber killed more than 70 people and wounded about 200 others Thursday inside a crowded Shi'ite shrine in southern Pakistan. Reuters reports that 30 of those killed were children.
- Six killed in multiple bomb blasts in Pakistan Press TV 15 Feb 2017 -- Multiple bombings in a time span of three days have rocked Pakistan, with the latest attacks claiming the lives of six people in the northwest.
- Pakistan Considers Expanding Mi-35 Contract With Russia - Military Official Sputnik 15 Feb 2017 -- According to a high-ranking military official in Pakistan, Islamabad is considering the expanding of the contract on the delivery of the Mil Mi-35 helicopters from Russia.
- Pakistan's PM Stresses Importance of AMAN-17 Naval Drills for World's Stability Sputnik 15 Feb 2017 -- Large participation of foreign navies in Multinational Exercise AMAN-17 is a testament to the confidence of world navies in Pakistan, Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif said Tuesday, after witnessing sea maneuvers and a fleet review in the north of the Arabian Sea.
- Saudi deports 40k Pakistani workers amid troubled economy Press TV 14 Feb 2017 -- Saudi Arabia has expelled nearly 40,000 Pakistani migrant workers over the past four months amid widespread international criticism of the Riyadh regime's mistreatment of foreign workers in the kingdom.
- Pakistan Reacts Sharply to US's Anti-Terror Criticism VOA 14 Feb 2017 -- Pakistan has sharply reacted to recent criticism and assertions by U.S. congressmen, the U.S. military and Washington-based, influential think tanks blaming the country for the worsening security situation in Afghanistan and calling for President Donald Trump to toughen his approach toward Islamabad for harboring the Taliban and its ally, the terrorist Haqqani network.
- Bomb Rips Through Protest Rally in Pakistan, at Least 13 Killed VOA 13 Feb 2017 -- Police and witnesses in Pakistan say that a suicide bomber detonated a blast at a protest rally in the eastern city of Lahore, killing at least 13 people and wounding around 85 others.
- Pakistan Looking Forward to More Bilateral Military Exercises With Russia Sputnik 12 Feb 2017 -- Pakistan is looking forward to hold more bilateral exercises with Russian colleagues in the future, Chief of Naval Staff of Pakistan Adm. Muhammad Zakaullah told Sputnik on Sunday while visiting the Russian anti-submarine destroyer Severomorsk.
- China-Pakistan Corridor to Increase Maritime Activity, Trade 'Manifold' Sputnik 11 Feb 2017 -- The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) may have a lasting impact on regional maritime activities and significantly enhance the economic importance of the Indian Ocean, the chief of the Naval Staff of the Pakistan Navy, Muhammad Zakaullah, said opening the International Maritime Conference in Karachi, Pakistan on Saturday.
- US Commander Warns of Russian, Iranian, Pakistani Influence in Afghanistan VOA 11 Feb 2017 -- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan says Russia, Pakistan and Iran are pursuing their own agendas with regard to the fragile country, complicating the fight against terrorism and extremism.
- Pakistan's Special Forces, Marines Hold Counter-Terrorism Demonstration Sputnik 11 Feb 2017 -- As a part of ongoing Multinational Exercise AMAN-17, being hosted by the Pakistan Navy, the country's Special Operations Forces (SOF) and Marines presented a Maritime Counter-Terrorism Demonstration at Manora peninsula, located south of the Port of Karachi, Pakistan, a Sputnik correspondent reported on Saturday.
- Pakistan to Maintain Naval Presence in Indian Ocean - Foreign Office Sputnik 11 Feb 2017 -- A formidable naval presence of Pakistan in North Arabian Sea and West Indian Ocean continues to remain critical for the country in defense of its interests, Sartaj Aziz, foreign policy adviser to Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, said at the International Maritime conference in Karachi on Saturday.
- Iran attends Pakistan's multi-national naval drill as 'observer' IRNA 10 Feb 2017 -- A five-day multi-national naval exercise, organized by the Pakistan Navy, 'AMAN-17', began in the Arabia Sea with an Iranian delegation attending the event as one of the observers, it was reported on Friday.
- India Rejects Pakistan's Claim of Building Secret Nuclear City Sputnik 10 Feb 2017 -- Ministry of External Affairs rubbished Pakistan's claims of that India is building a secret nuclear city in the south of India and developing Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile.
- Pakistan: India's Alleged 'Secret Nuclear City' Threatens Regional Peace VOA 09 Feb 2017 -- Pakistan is warning rival India's rapid expansion of its nuclear weaponry and construction of a "secret nuclear city" to produce a thermonuclear arsenal pose a direct threat to Islamabad and the region at large.
- Pakistan claims India has built 'secret nuclear city' Press TV 09 Feb 2017 -- A senior Pakistani official says India has accumulated a stockpile of nuclear weapons which threatens to undermine the balance of power in the troubled South Asian region.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis' Call with Pakistan Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa DoD 09 Feb 2017
- Evidence of Terror Group Chief's Part in Mumbai Attack 'Available in Pakistan' Sputnik 02 Feb 2017 -- In reply to Pakistan's demand for concrete evidence against Hafiz Saeed, a leader of the Jamat-ud-Dawa terror group, India has said that all the evidence to implicate the mastermind of Mumbai terror attack is already available in Pakistan.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list