Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2016 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Militant commander, two aides shot dead in disputed Kashmir Press TV 31 Jan 2016 -- Indian security forces have shot dead a commander of the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militant group and two of his associates during an exchange of gunfire in the Indian-administered Kashmir region.
- Pakistan Army Chief Dismisses Extension Rumors VOA 25 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan military chief General Raheel Sharif has dismissed 'speculations as baseless' in local media that he intends to seek an extension in his term, expiring later this year.
- Russia, Pakistan to hold first ever joint military exercise Press TV 23 Jan 2016 -- Russia says it is set to hold its first ever drills with Pakistan this year as part of Moscow's efforts to reinforce its army amid NATO's increased military build-up at the Russian doorstep.
- Taliban Faction Promises More School Attacks in Pakistan VOA 22 Jan 2016 -- The Taliban faction that has claimed responsibility for the massacre at a Pakistani university that killed 21 people earlier this week says that assault was just the beginning of more attacks to come.
- Pakistan: Afghan Territory Used for Deadly University Raid VOA 21 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan says a deadly assault on a university in a northwestern city on Wednesday was "being controlled from a location in Afghanistan through an Afghan cell phone" by a fugitive member of the Pakistani Taliban.
- Taliban Claims Responsibility for Attack on Pakistan's University Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- The Pakistani wing of the Taliban Islamic movement, Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, claimed responsibility for Wednesday attack on the country's Bacha Khan University in the northern town of Charsadda, local media reported.
- Pakistani Taliban group claims university attack in NW Pakistan People's Daily 20 Jan 2016 -- A splinter group of Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan(TTP) on Wednesday claimed responsibility for the attack on a university in the country's northwest district of Charsadda, which has reportedly killed 19 people and wounded over 50 others.
- At Least 20 Killed In Attack On Pakistani University RFE/RL 20 Jan 2016 -- Militants have stormed a university in northwestern Pakistan, shooting students in their sleep during an assault that left at least 20 people dead and more than 50 others wounded.
- Gunmen Kill at Least 20 at University in NW Pakistan VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- A gun and bomb attack on a university in northwestern Pakistan Wednesday killed at least 20 people and wounded dozens more.
- Pakistan test-fires air-launched cruise missile Press TV 19 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan successfully test-fires a locally developed "state-of-the-art" air-launched cruise missile.
- Pakistan has executed 332 people since late 2014: Report Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan's Ministry of the Interior and Narcotics Control says more than 330 people have been executed in the country since late 2014.
- Pakistan Arrests Leader Of Banned Kashmiri Militant Group RFE/RL 16 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan has arrested the leader of an outlawed militant group that has fought Indian rule in Kashmir for decades in a sweep of militants suspected of attacking an Indian air base this month.
- Some 80 Pakistani militants surrender in North Waziristan Press TV 15 Jan 2016 -- Some 80 pro-Taliban militants have surrendered to government forces in Pakistan's North Waziristan tribal region near the Afghan border.
- Pakistan Continues Crackdown on IS Loyalists VOA 15 Jan 2016 -- Authorities in Pakistan have made fresh arrests as part of their crackdown on Islamic State loyalists to prevent the Middle Eastern terror group from establishing a foothold in the country.
- Pakistan, India Postpone Talks After Air Base Attack RFE/RL 15 Jan 2016 -- India and Pakistan postponed talks scheduled for January 15 after a fatal attack on an Indian air base waged by a banned extremist group based in Pakistan.
- India, Pakistan Cooperate in Terror Probe VOA 14 Jan 2016 -- New Delhi has welcomed Pakistan's offer to send a special team to help India in its investigation of a deadly attack at an Indian air-force base in a sensitive border area.
- IS Claims Attack on Pakistan Consulate in Afghanistan VOA 13 Jan 2016 -- Officials in eastern Afghanistan said a gun and bomb attack Wednesday near the Pakistani consulate in Jalalabad killed seven security personnel and wounded 10 people, including three civilians.
- Pakistan Claims Arrest of Militants Behind Indian Airbase Attack VOA 13 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan said Wednesday it has arrested 'several individuals' belonging to the Jaish-e-Mohammad militant group that India suspects masterminded the deadly assault earlier this month on an Indian airbase.
- Pakistan Leads Talks Aimed to Bring Afghan Peace VOA 11 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan opened new talks Monday on reviving the Afghan peace process, an effort aimed at drawing Taliban insurgents fighting the Kabul government back to the negotiating table.
- Pakistan Determined to Help India Probe Air Base Attack VOA 08 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan on Friday reiterated its resolve to cooperate with India on investigating last week's militant assault on India's Pathankot air base that left several security personnel dead and 22 others wounded. The base, located in India's northern Punjab state, is about 50 kilometers from the border with Pakistan.
- India Urges Pakistan To Take 'Firm' Action After Base Attack RFE/RL 05 Jan 2016 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has urged his Pakistani counterpart to take 'firm and immediate action' against those behind an attack on an Indian air base near the country's border with Pakistan.
- Law Minister Says 100 Pakistanis Joined IS in Syria, Iraq VOA 04 Jan 2016 -- A state law minister said Monday that around 100 Pakistanis have left the country to join Islamic State fighters in Syria and Iraq.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list