Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2015 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Pakistan Races To Help Quake Victims Before Winter Sets In RFE/RL 31 Oct 2015 -- Pakistani authorities are racing to send relief supplies, including blankets, tents, food, and pneumonia vaccine to earthquake victims before winter weather sets in.
- Bureaucracy blocks earthquake aid in Pakistan IRIN 30 Oct 2015 -- International relief agencies are unable to reach some areas in Pakistan that were devastated by this week's earthquake, because government authorities have not granted them permission to carry out aid activities.
- Death Count Climbs As Rescuers Reach Quake-Hit Regions Of Afghanistan, Pakistan RFE/RL 27 Oct 2015 -- Rescue operations have begun to reveal the full scale of an Afghan earthquake that killed hundreds and caused damage across South Asia.
- UN ramps up to assist those in Afghanistan and Pakistan affected by massive earthquake UN News 27 Oct 2015 -- Hundreds of people have been killed and thousands of homes in Afghanistan and Pakistan were destroyed by the massive 7.5 magnitude earthquake that struck the Badakshan Province in Afghanistan yesterday, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
- Pakistan quake: new building codes largely unenforced IRIN 27 Oct 2015 -- Pakistan added detailed seismic provisions to its national building code in 2007, two years after an earthquake in the disputed Kashmir region killed more than 80,000 people and destroyed countless constructions. They have gone largely unenforced, compounding the destruction from Monday's 7.5-magnitude quake.
- Scores killed, hundreds injured in Afghanistan-Pakistan quake IRIN 26 Oct 2015 -- Darkness put rescue efforts on hold in the mountainous Hindu Kush region of Afghanistan and Pakistan, which was struck by a 7.5-magnitude earthquake on Monday, with roads destroyed and helicopters unable to fly at night.
- Earthquake Hits Afghanistan, Pakistan VOA 26 Oct 2015 -- A major earthquake struck a remote area of northern Afghanistan on Monday, killing more than 300 people there and in neighboring Pakistan, and injuring more than 1,700.
- Earthquake Causes Heavy Casualties, Damage In Afghanistan, Pakistan RFE/RL 26 Oct 2015 -- One of the strongest earthquakes to hit Afghanistan in decades has rocked the country's north, leaving heavy casualties and damage in its wake across South Asia.
- U.S. Urges Pakistani Nuclear Restraint, Help With Afghan Peace Talks RFE/RL 23 Oct 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama urged Pakistan to avoid risky and destabilizing developments in its nuclear weapons program while working to help reignite peace talks between Afghanistan and the Taliban.
- Pakistan Expected To Reject White House Call For Nuclear Curbs RFE/RL 22 Oct 2015 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is expected to strongly resist any limits on Pakistan's use of small tactical nuclear weapons at a meeting with U.S. President Barack Obama.
- Obama Calls for Closer Ties with Pakistan VOA 22 Oct 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says he wants to deepen ties with Pakistan during a meeting Thursday with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif at the White House.
- White House To Raise Nuclear Concerns At Sharif Meeting Next Week RFE/RL 16 Oct 2015 -- The United States will discuss concerns about the security of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal during a visit to Washington next week by Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, the White House said on October 15.
- Pakistan's Prime Minister to Visit US VOA 15 Oct 2015 -- Pakistan's prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, will pay a three-day official visit to the United States starting October 20 to discuss bilateral ties with President Barack Obama.
- US examining ways to limit Pakistan's nuclear weapons stockpile Press TV 15 Oct 2015 -- The administration of US President Barack Obama is examining ways to limit Pakistan's nuclear weapons stockpile, considered as the world's fastest-growing nuclear arsenal.
- Pakistan airstrikes kill 22 militants in North Waziristan: Army Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- At least 22 militants have been killed in airstrikes conducted by Pakistani fighter jets in North Waziristan tribal region, the army says.
- China to Construct Four Yuan-Class Submarines in Pakistan Sputnik 11 Oct 2015 -- China will build four of eight submarines that it will sell to Pakistan in Karachi, Pakistan's largest city and the most important city on the Arabian Sea.
- Pakistan Seeks More Afghan-Taliban Talks VOA 10 Oct 2015 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said Saturday his country has renewed efforts to help reopen Afghan peace talks.
- China to Transfer Technology of Submarine Construction to Pakistan People's Daily 08 Oct 2015 -- China is to build four submarines in Pakistan port city Karachi, fulfilling a new defense deal between the two countries, Pakistan local media reported on Wednesday.
- Addressing UN Assembly, India says Pakistan must eschew terrorism before talks can begin UN News 01 Oct 2015 -- In her address at the 70th United Nations General Assembly, Sushma Swaraj, India's Minister for External Affairs, responded to Pakistan's peace initiative underscoring that while her country remains open to dialogue, Pakistan must eschew terrorism before serious talks between the two sides could begin.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list