Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2015 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Senior UN relief official urges action to address urgent humanitarian needs in Afghanistan and Pakistan UN News 13 Oct 2015 -- The head of Operations at the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), John Ging, called today for renewed international commitment to address urgent humanitarian needs, and to shore up regional peace and stability in Afghanistan and Pakistan, noting that the two countries were on differing humanitarian trajectories.
- In UN Assembly speech, Pakistan's Prime Minister proposes new peace initiative with India UN News 30 Sep 2015 -- Speaking at the United Nations General Assembly, Pakistan's Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif proposed today renewed peace talks with India, aimed at defining the relationship between the Asian countries 'as one of cooperation, not confrontation.'
- Pakistani Military Targets Taliban After Deadly Raid On Air Base RFE/RL 19 Sep 2015 -- The Pakistani military has carried out air strikes against suspected militant targets near the Afghan border, a day after the Pakistani Taliban killed 29 people in a raid on an air base.
- Pakistan airstrikes kill 15 militants in North Waziristan Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- At least 15 militants have been killed in the Pakistani army airstrikes in the country's North Waziristan tribal region, the Pakistani military says.
- US drone kills 15 pro-Taliban Pakistanis in SE Afghanistan Press TV 12 Sep 2015 -- An American unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) has killed 15 pro-Taliban Pakistani militants in southeastern Afghanistan, Press
- Fierce gun battle kills four in Indian-administered Kashmir Press TV 11 Sep 2015 -- At least four people have been killed in a fierce exchange of fire between India's army soldiers and a group of armed men in Indian-administered Kashmir, police sources say.
- India, Pakistan hold talks on deadly border clashes Press TV 10 Sep 2015 -- India and neighboring Pakistan have held talks aimed at settling months of deadly border clashes and repeated ceasefire violations.
- UK to further boost Pakistan's counter-explosive capability UK MOD 09 Sep 2015 -- The UK will offer Pakistan a package worth nearly £1m to support essential counter-explosive equipment previously gifted to the country.
- Pakistan Baluch Separatist Leader Reported Killed RFE/RL 08 Sep 2015 -- A top official in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan Province says the leader of the banned separatist Baluch Liberation Front has been killed.
- Pakistan's Sharif Consults Religious Scholars on Future of Madrassas VOA 08 Sep 2015 -- Pakistan’s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif consulted with representatives from top religious seminaries on reforms to be introduced in the religious schools’ curriculum, registration and funding process.
- Pakistan Carries Out First-ever Drone Strike VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- Pakistan’s military announced that a locally developed drone has carried out its first missile strike, killing at least three "high-profile” militants near the Afghan border.
- Pakistan deploys 1st homemade combat drone, kills 3 militants Press TV 07 Sep 2015 -- Pakistan has successfully deployed its domestically developed unmanned combat aerial vehicle equipped with a laser-guided missile in the country's northwestern tribal region.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan agree to end blame game Press TV 05 Sep 2015 -- A senior Pakistani official says the governments in Islamabad and Kabul have agreed to end a blame game over a spate of cross-border attacks.
- Afghan, Pakistani Officials Meet in Bid to Lower Tensions VOA 04 Sep 2015 -- Pakistan and Afghanistan held high-level talks Friday in Kabul in a bid to ease bilateral tensions over terrorism charges and explore ways to promote Afghan peace efforts.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan Weigh Resumption of Taliban Talks VOA 03 Sep 2015 -- Pakistani officials say they plan to ask Afghan officials Friday whether Kabul is interested in resuming peace talks with the Taliban.
- Afghanistan Rejects Pakistan's Claim on Haqqani Network VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- Afghanistan rejected Pakistan's claim that it has disrupted some anti-Afghan terrorist operations within its borders.
- Pakistan airstrikes kill 15 militants in northwest Press TV 02 Sep 2015 -- Pakistani fighter jets have bombed positions of pro-Taliban militants in the country’s rugged northwestern tribal region close to the border with Afghanistan, killing at least 15 militants.
- Pakistani President Describes Pakistan-China As 'Iron Brothers' RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain has described Pakistan and China as “iron brothers” during a meeting with his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping.
- New US drone strike kills five in northern Pakistan Press TV 01 Sep 2015 -- A fresh US assassination drone strike in Pakistan’s tribal region has claimed the lives of at least five people, Pakistani security officials say.
- Pakistan Suicide Blast Kills 4, Wounds Dozens VOA 01 Sep 2015 -- A suicide bomber killed at least four people and wounded around 50 others Tuesday in northwestern Pakistan.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list