Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2015 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Pakistan air strikes kill 23 militants in northwest Press TV 28 Jun 2015 -- Pakistani military fighter jets have bombed militant positions in the country's rugged northwestern tribal region close to the border with Afghanistan, killing nearly two dozen militants.
- Pakistan Launches Airstrikes on Militants Near Afghan Border VOA 28 Jun 2015 -- Pakistan's Military says air strikes have killed 23 militants in the country's northwestern tribal regions near the Afghan border.
- Pakistan Rejects Afghan Allegations on Parliament Attack VOA 25 Jun 2015 -- Pakistan has rejected Kabul's allegations that an officer of its intelligence agency was involved in an attack on the Afghan parliament.
- Displaced Pakistanis caught between the Taliban and army IRIN 24 Jun 2015 -- More than a year after a military offensive displaced about a million people from North Waziristan, residents say they are unable to go home because the government requires them to first sign an agreement to "stop the enemies of Pakistan," which would put them at risk of retaliation from both the militants and the army.
- Pakistan Discloses Secret Afghan, Taliban Talks VOA 22 Jun 2015 -- Pakistan disclosed Monday that it recently facilitated secret talks in the northwestern Chinese city of Urumqi between Afghan envoys and Taliban representatives, and another round of negotiations is expected soon as part of efforts to promote peace and reconciliation.
- Pakistan turns up the heat on NGOs IRIN 19 Jun 2015 -- The recent closure of Save the Children* in Pakistan has further soured relations between NGOs and the government, potentially putting at risk life-saving programs for tens of thousands of people across the country.
- Education still on hold after year of war in Pakistan IRIN 18 Jun 2015 -- Hazrat Zaman fears for the future of his seventeen children who have been denied education for more than a year since Pakistan's military launched an operation against militants, forcing thousands of families to flee their homes.
- A Hind-E for Pakistan: Islamabad to Purchase Russian Mi-35 Copters Sputnik 18 Jun 2015 -- Russia and Pakistan are reportedly close to clinching a deal in Islamabad for the purchase of Russian-made Mi-35 attack helicopters.
- No specific talks underway on supply of Russian Mi-35 helicopters to Pakistan - exporter TASS 18 Jun 2015 -- Russia is holding consultations with Pakistan regarding the possibility of selling Mi-35 helicopters, but no specific talks are underway at the moment, the head of the Air Force department at the Rosoboronexport weapons exporter, Sergey Kornev said on Thursday.
- Russia ready to sell four Mi-35M combat helicopters to Pakistan - source TASS 17 Jun 2015 -- Russia has sent Pakistan a draft contract on the delivery of four Mil Mi-35M (NATO reporting name: Hind E) combat helicopters, a source in the Russian system of military and technical cooperation said on Wednesday.
- Pakistan Army Chief Visits Russia to Forge New Ties VOA 17 Jun 2015 -- Pakistan Army chief General Raheel Sharif visited Russia this week amidst a regional re-definition of old relationships. Russia, which fought against Pakistan-supported "mujahideen' during the earlier Afghan war in the 1980s, has been warming up to the South Asian country.
- Pakistan Shaping New Afghanistan Policy VOA 15 Jun 2015 -- Pakistan has rejected assertions it has promised Afghanistan to "pick up" fugitive Taliban leaders and deliver them to the negotiating table to sign a peace pact with the Afghan government. A senior government official speaking Monday also defended a landmark pact recently reached between spy agencies of the two countries, describing it vital for joint counterterrorism efforts.
- Pakistan army kills 2,763 militants in one-year Waziristan offensive Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- The Pakistani military says its soldiers have killed more than 2,700 militants in the troubled North Waziristan tribal region over the past 12 months.
- Pakistani army airstrikes leave 20 militants dead Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- At least 20 suspected pro-Taliban militants have been killed in the Pakistani army's air raids in a restive northwestern tribal region close to the country's border with Afghanistan.
- Taliban Offensive in Afghanistan Strains Ties with Islamabad VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- Afghan and Pakistani leaders have made a push to improve their long-troubled relationship under Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, and try to broker peace with the Afghan Taliban. But this week, an open dialogue in Islamabad exposed how their fragile alliance is being strained by the Taliban's spring offensive.
- 7 soldiers, 19 militants killed in army's ground operation in NW Pakistan People's Daily 08 Jun 2015 -- At least seven soldiers and 19 militants were killed when Pakistani army launched a ground operation against militants in Pakistan's northwest tribal area of North Waziristan Agency, the military said Monday.
- 19 militants, 7 soldiers killed in NW Pakistan clash Press TV 08 Jun 2015 -- At least 19 pro-Taliban militants and seven Pakistani soldiers have been killed during fierce fighting in Pakistan's North Waziristan tribal areas near the Afghan border, the army says.
- Five Shia Muslims gunned down in southwestern Pakistan Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- A group of heavily-armed militants have gunned down at least five Shia Muslims in Pakistan's troubled southwestern province of Balochistan.
- Pakistan to increase military budget by 11% Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- Pakistan is to hike its military spending by 11 percent to meet the nation's security needs as Islamabad says it is battling insurgency.
- New US drone strike kills nine in northwestern Pakistan Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- A fresh US drone attack has claimed the lives of at least nine people in Pakistan's northwestern tribal region near the Afghan border, officials say.
- Deadly Drone Strikes, Fighting in Pakistan, Afghanistan VOA 06 Jun 2015 -- A suspected U.S. drone strike Saturday in Pakistan's once militant-dominated North Waziristan border region killed at least nine suspected militants.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list