Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2014 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Army base in Kashmir comes under attack, 1 soldier dead Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- An army base in Indian-administered Kashmir has come under attack by pro-independence fighters, leaving at least one soldier dead.
- South Asian Summit in Nepal Overshadowed by India-Pakistan Tensions VOA 26 Nov 2014 -- South Asian leaders meeting in Nepal for a summit called for closer integration of the region. As always, that goal was hampered by the decades-old hostility between India and Pakistan.
- Pakistan slams fresh Indian shelling in disputed Kashmir Iran Press TV 21 Nov 2014 -- Pakistan has strongly condemned the recent killing of one of its soldiers by Indian forces near the Line of Control (LoC), the de facto border that divides Kashmir between Pakistan and India.
- Russia, Pakistan Agree To Enhance Defense Cooperation RFE/RL 20 Nov 2014 -- Pakistan and Russia have signed a cooperation agreement between their defense ministries.
- Readout of Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work's and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey's meetings with Gen. Raheel Sharif, Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff DoD 18 Nov 2014
- Ghani's Trip Fuels Hopes for Better Afghan-Pakistan Ties VOA 17 Nov 2014 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani's first state visit to neighboring Pakistan over the weekend has generated an unusual level of optimism on both sides of the border, with some hailing it as the beginning of a new era in the often acrimonious bilateral relationship.
- Pakistan test-fires 2nd nuclear-capable missile in week Iran Press TV 17 Nov 2014 -- Pakistan has test-fired a medium-range ballistic missile capable of carrying nuclear and conventional warheads for the second time in less than a week.
- 1,200 militants killed in Pakistan army operations in tribal region Iran Press TV 16 Nov 2014 -- The Pakistani army's operations against militant hideouts in a northwestern tribal region near the border with Afghanistan have so far killed more than 1,200 militants, a senior Pakistani army officer says.
- Sharif Says Peaceful Afghanistan In Pakistan's National Interest RFE/RL 15 Nov 2014 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has pledged support to Afghan President Ashraf Ghani in attempts to bring peace to Afghanistan.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan pledge to improve relations Iran Press TV 15 Nov 2014 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Afghanistan's new President Ashraf Ghani have pledged to improve security and trade relations between the two countries, Press TV reports.
- Progress Declared in Pakistan-Afghanistan Relations VOA 15 Nov 2014 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani says his meetings with Pakistani leaders in Islamabad have made significant progress towards developing close economic relations and strengthening joint efforts against the common threat of terrorism.
- China Training Pakistan Army Along Indo-Pakistani Border Sputnik 15 Nov 2014 -- The intelligence wing of India's Border Security Force reports that the Chinese Army conducts training of Pakistani military personnel near the troubled Rajouri sector of the international border between India and Pakistan, the situation on the border is 'tense, but generally peaceful.'
- Pakistan Military Pledges to Eliminate Terrorists VOA 15 Nov 2014 -- Pakistan's military says its anti-terrorism operation in the northwestern tribal districts of North Waziristan is yielding positive results.
- Afghanistan, Pakistan Seek To Improve Ties RFE/RL 14 Nov 2014 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has visited Pakistan's military headquarters in a sign of warming relations.
- China, Pakistan pledge to strengthen air force cooperation People's Daily 14 Nov 2014 -- Chinese Defense Minister Chang Wanquan on Friday met with visiting Pakistani Chief of Air Staff Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt to discuss bilateral military ties, including cooperation between the countries' air forces.
- Pakistan tests launch of nuke-capable missile People's Daily 13 Nov 2014 -- Pakistan on Thursday conducted a successful training launch of an intermediate range nuclear-capable ballistic missile, the military said.
- Pakistan test-fires nuclear capable ballistic missile Iran Press TV 13 Nov 2014 -- The Pakistani army has successfully test-fired an intermediate-range missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead.
- Optimism Ahead of Afghan Leader's Visit to Islamabad VOA 12 Nov 2014 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani visits Islamabad later this week. Pakistani officials say they hope the country's recent successes in army operations against militants linked to the Afghan insurgency and adherence to a policy of non-interference in Afghanistan have set the stage for resetting their often troubled relations.
- Pakistan militants join ISIL terrorists Iran Press TV 11 Nov 2014 -- Militants in Pakistan’s northwestern tribal areas are joining the ISIL Takfiri terrorist group, Press TV reports.
- Pakistani army kills 17 pro-Taliban militants Iran Press TV 08 Nov 2014 -- Pakistani security forces have killed at least 17 pro-Taliban militants in the country's northwestern tribal region.
- Pakistan summons US ambassador over report Iran Press TV 06 Nov 2014 -- Islamabad has summoned the US ambassador to Pakistan in protest against a recent report by the US Department of Defense that accuses Pakistan of providing a safe haven for militant groups in the region.
- Pakistan Disputes US on Militant Sanctuaries VOA 06 Nov 2014 -- Pakistan has rejected as 'utterly baseless' U.S. allegations that it still has sanctuaries for militants that are detrimental to Afghan and regional stability.
- Pakistan, India Hold Border Ritual Despite Attack RFE/RL 03 Nov 2014 -- India and Pakistan have held a daily military ceremony at their main border crossing, a day after a suicide attack there killed 55 people and wounded dozens more.
- India, Pakistan temporarily close border after bomb blast Iran Press TV 03 Nov 2014 -- India and Pakistan have temporarily closed their only road border crossing following a deadly bomb attack on the Pakistani side of the border.
- Pakistan Holds Flag Ceremony After Deadly Attack VOA 03 Nov 2014 -- Pakistan pressed ahead with its daily flag-lowering military ceremony at its only land border crossing with rival India Monday, a day after a suicide bomber killed around 60 people and wounded 100 others near the venue.
- Bomb blast claims 45 lives on Pakistan-India border Iran Press TV 02 Nov 2014 -- A bomb blast on the Pakistan-India border has left at least 45 people, including women and children, dead and scores wounded, Pakistani police say.
- At Least 55 Dead in Pakistan Bombing VOA 02 Nov 2014 -- A bomb attack in the Lahore region of Pakistan has killed at least 55 people, and more than 100 are wounded.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list