Pakistan's Bhutto Undeterred by Deadly Attacks
By VOA News
19 October 2007
Former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto says the deadly bomb attacks targeting her motorcade will not dissuade her struggle to bring democracy to Pakistan.
In her first comments since the twin blasts, Ms. Bhutto called the violence an attack on the integrity of Pakistan. She said she is prepared to risk her life for democracy, but added she is not prepared to surrender Pakistan to militants.
The attacks killed at least 136 people and wounded hundreds of others. Authorities believe the first blast was a hand grenade, while the second, larger explosion was caused by a suicide bomber.
At her press conference, Ms. Bhutto also said she knew an assassination attempt would happen when she returned to Pakistan on Thursday following eight years in exile. She did not blame the government of President Pervez Musharraf.
No one has claimed responsibility. A top Taliban commander has denied any involvement.
The two-time former prime minister also said officials should investigate why the street lights were not working at one point during her homecoming procession. She traveled through the packed streets of Karachi standing atop an amored truck after flying into the city earlier in the day.
Ms. Bhutto was in back of the truck, sitting down, when the blasts ripped through the crowd. She says she will continue to lead her Pakistan People's Party in parliamentary elections set for early 2008.
President Musharraf has condemned the bombings and promised a thorough investigation.
Some information for this report provided by AP and Reuters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|