Drive against banned outfits, terrorists to continue: Pak Minister
IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency
Islamabad, July 23, IRNA
Pakistan Minister for Religious Affairs Ijaz-ul Haq said on Saturday that government would continue crackdown against banned outfits involved in terrorist activities.
He also expressed government's determination to rid the country of the menace of terrorism, state APP news agency reported.
"Since 9-11, 99 percent of foreign students, staying illegally in different Pakistani Madaris, have been expelled. It is an ongoing process and if any student was still staying illegally in any Madrassa he would be expelled," the minister said
About government's move to register Madaris or religious schools, he said, there was no problem with registration process. "Out of total 11,800 madaris imparting religious or modern education, 5,800 have been registered so far and the process is progressing very well." The official said that his ministry would be holding an International Inter-Religion Conference in December this year to discuss challenges ahead.
"The religious scholars of all religions from different countries would participate in the conference," he added.
As part of the efforts to create intra-religion harmony within Pakistan, he said a National inter-religion conference will also be held in August this year.
Expressing his views on London bomb blasts, he said that Pakistan condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations.
He regretted some media reports about Pakistan, saying, "they tried to malign Pakistan in the wake of London blasts".
"Every year during Summer, about 50,000 British Pakistani visit their motherland for a few days. It is wrong to allege that they are educated in the religious schools here."
Subversive act of few people had created problems for Pakistani community in England besides tarnishing the image of Pakistan and Islam, Ijaz-ul Haq was quoted as saying.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|