Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
- Rights Advocates Question Myanmar's Conditions to Repatriate Rohingya Refugees VOA 30 Jul 2019 -- Myanmar is beginning to yield to international pressure to repatriate the more than 700,000 Rohingya refugees living in Bangladesh, but rights advocates worry its commitment is only surface level.
- Myanmar forces kill international aid worker in Rakhine Press TV 30 Jul 2019 -- Security forces in Myanmar have killed an international aid worker in the country's western Rakhine State, a troubled region where state-sponsored violence has targeted minority Muslims and the military has been cracking down on rebellious Buddhists.
- Rohingya Muslims refuse to return to Myanmar without recognition Press TV 28 Jul 2019 -- Rohingya Muslim refugees in Bangladesh have refused to return to Myanmar unless they are recognized as an ethnic group with full rights and safety in their home country, where they have faced several decades of persecution.
- Bangladesh Calls for Financial Sanctions on Myanmar, as Country Pushes for Rohingya Repatriation VOA 19 Jul 2019 -- Bangladesh wants Myanmar to repatriate the nearly 1 million Rohingya refugees who have fled genocide, and a top Bangladeshi official wants international financial sanctions to back it up.
- UN says US sanctions on Myanmar over Rohingya massacre not enough Press TV 18 Jul 2019 -- The UN special rapporteur on human rights in Myanmar says US sanctions imposed this week on Myanmar's military leaders over Rohingya Muslims should have been tougher and applied to more generals.
- US imposes sanctions on Myanmar army chief over Rohingya crimes Press TV 17 Jul 2019 -- The United States has imposed sanctions on Myanmar's military chief and three other top officers over their role in the atrocities against the Rohingya Muslim minority group in the Buddhist-majority country.
- On Public Designation, Due to Gross Violations of Human Rights, of Burmese Military Officials US Dept. of State 16 Jul 2019 -- Special Briefing by Senior State Department Officials
- Public Designation, Due to Gross Violations of Human Rights, of Burmese Military Officials US Dept. of State 16 Jul 2019 -- Today, the Department of State is publicly designating the following individuals and their immediate family members for the named individuals' responsibility for gross human rights violations, including in extrajudicial killings in northern Rakhine State, Burma, during the ethnic cleansing of Rohingya:
- As monsoon rains pound Rohingya refugee camps, UN food relief agency steps up aid UN News 12 Jul 2019 -- Since 4 July, heavy monsoon rains and wind have pounded the refugee camps in Bangladesh's Cox's Bazar, with deaths, displacement and major damage following in their wake, the World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.
- Report: Conditions Unsafe for Return of Rohingya Refugees to Myanmar VOA 10 Jul 2019 -- Conditions in Myanmar are far too dangerous for the safe, dignified return of hundreds of thousands of Rohingya refugees who have fled to Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh, to escape violence and persecution in their home country, according to a report by the U.N. Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.
- 'Brutal weather' continues as Rohingya refugee children endure devastating rainfall in Bangladesh UN News 09 Jul 2019 -- Heavy flooding and landslides in the Rohingya refugee camps of Cox's Bazar in Bangladesh, has left thousands of children and families in an increasingly dire situation with critical infrastructure damaged or destroyed, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) warned on Tuesday, while scaling up relief efforts to those vulnerable children.
- Scores of Rohingya refugee shelters in Bangladesh destroyed by flooding UN News 05 Jul 2019 -- Heavy monsoon rains in Bangladesh have drenched the Cox's Bazar settlement, home to more than 900,000 Rohingya refugees, destroying some 273 shelters, and injuring 11 people, the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, said on Friday. The huge refugee camp has been hit by three days of non-stop rain, and more heavy downpours are expected throughout next week, with four months of the monsoon season still to go.
- UN accuses army, Buddhists of committing war crimes in western Myanmar Press TV 03 Jul 2019 -- United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur to Myanmar says its security forces and rebels are committing human rights violations against civilians in the country's west that may amount to new war crimes.
- Grievous violations continue against Myanmar civilians, Human Rights Council hears UN News 03 Jul 2019 -- Marginalized communities in Myanmar still face "grievous human rights violations" at the hands of security forces, a UN-appointed independent expert said this week, while repeating her call for an international and independent probe into the 2017 exodus from Rakhine state.
- Myanmar to send delegation to Rohingya camps in Bangladesh Press TV 01 Jul 2019 -- Myanmar says it is sending a high-level delegation to overcrowded Rohingya camps in Bangladesh concerning the return of the refugees to their ethnic homeland of Rakhine state.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list