June 2019 - Myanmar News
- Mobile Data Shutdown in Burma's Rakhine and Chin States US Dept. of State 29 Jun 2019
- Myanmar must grant citizenship to Rohingya: UN official Press TV 27 Jun 2019 -- A top UN investigator says Myanmar must grant citizenship to Rohingya Muslims, who have fled genocide in the Buddhist-majority country and who are currently living squalidly in neighboring Bangladesh.
- UN: Internet Blackout in Western Myanmar May Be Hiding Human Rights Abuses VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- The United Nations special human rights investigator for Myanmar says the military may be carrying out "gross human rights violations" in western Myanmar under the cover of an Internet blackout.
- Government internet ban leaves parts of Myanmar 'in a blackout', UN expert calls for immediate lifting UN News 24 Jun 2019 -- With "no media access" in parts of the country and "serious restrictions" on humanitarian organizations, the United Nations expert on the situation of human rights in Myanmar urged the Government on Monday to "reverse its decision" and lift the mobile internet ban.
- ASEAN avoids condemning Myanmar for Rohingya plight Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has failed to condemn member state Myanmar for its massive purge of Rohingya Muslims from the country despite calls from rights campaigners and other members that the massacres and atrocities against the minority group should not go unnoticed.
- UN report condemns world body's 'systemic failure' in spotting signs of Rohingya ethnic cleansing Press TV 18 Jun 2019 -- A report by the United Nations has censured the world body's 'systemic failure' in spotting the early signs of Myanmar's deadly crackdown on Rohingya Muslims.
- UN chief accepts independent report on Myanmar, highlighting 'systemic' failure surrounding Rohingya crisis UN News 17 Jun 2019 -- An independent review into how the UN System operated in Myanmar in the years leading up to the mass exodus of the Rohingya following serious human rights abuses, has concluded there were "systemic and structural failures" that prevented a unified strategy from being implemented.
- Myanmar unwilling to repatriate Rohingya Muslim refugees, says Bangladesh PM Press TV 10 Jun 2019 -- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has strongly denounced Myanmar for delays in the repatriation of persecuted Rohingya Muslim refugees who fled violence in the neighboring country about two years ago.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|